DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let's Talk Stories..

Arie

Timelines, Stories and Stuff  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Oh my!! (Pick what you want. Share what I missed.)

• No to: The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled (& Potential Red Ajah Plot)
    • Yes to: Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed
    • No to: Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed
    • Yes to: Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall
    • No to: Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall
    • Yes to: Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling
    • No to: Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling
    • Help me Generate more Ideas!
    • For the -no's- suggest another plot idea?
    • YES to: The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled (& Potential Red Ajah Plot) (sorry, this got lost...)

One thing that we were missing was a Direction. A Goal. A plotline. This is where I want to have conversations with ALL players and really get us up and running with something we want to play. 

Moreso, I don't want to get suck on a single storyline either where we feel forced to make what happened in the books happen in the stories we tell with each other. 

Edited by Arie

I'm keen on the idea of setting us in the Vlieness timeline, just to establish who's playing, toss a war in the south, and have people in the north have a few prophecies and see where they go. 

Then in about 2-3 years, we jump ahead into the book timeline-ish or have another talk about storylines.

(And yes, I had the permissions fixed so biographies can be posted.)

"Current" Players:

@Cass @Kalen @Calvin Gulwin @thehumantrashcan @Jagen Sedai @Elessar @Kathleen @Qstar @Wayfarer @The Purple Ajah @SerenaMorrigan @Ryrin @Dresden

Club Players:

@Dar'Jen Ab Owain @allende dhamel @Ashaman novice @Israel Sage @Lethira the second @Vimak_the_Great @Bridget @_Kynwric_ @Siera @Taymist

Former Legacy Players (Club) :
 @Hayl3y @PaigeJohnson @Risyn_Mael @Seaine's eyebrows @Hallia @Oddpositions @Kilivia @Warder117 @Eqwina @Quibby @Liitha @Arinth @Matalina @keyholder21 @Nynaeve @Jehaine @Sylvirci @Osangar @The Don @Tigara @devon @U4ea @Kura @ashara @Essy @Arette @Ghaul @Swani @Gon Trevil @Drea Raylin 

@Covai Seriba @Jocelyn @silhouette @Kaylan @Ranulf Ryan @seiakera @Zander? @Mrs. Cindy Gill @Lord of the Lakes @Arinth @The Bard Babe @Garalath @Calindra @Nargbert @Taya @Caldazar al'Aemon @Maera @IdleCuriosity @Elaevia @Mothiad @Lih-Lyh @706Somtaaw @Miya @Kat_152 @Robin @SamwiseAlThor @Elgen @Kaelen @Alin  @Cantrip @Celtic41 @Jaydena @SableSage @Jax Bornhald @Estel @KingRodel 

Other former Players: 

@AesSedaiGuy @Allisia Sedai @Amadine @Anrui @Cainam @charisdelphi @craftyreader @DarthRand @Dyrum Alede @Elgee @Faun @girt @Grimmlocke @Isaboe @jonniekaye @Kaelen @Kara_J @Kaylynn @Kelitor @Kenny @Lavinya @Leala Sedai @Ledinna Sedai @Marta Sedai @Maryam @Maurelle @meirgan @Meridian @MoonLily @Moseley @Muirenn @Myrenna @Myriam Finnash @Mystica @NeverTame @Panchi @perine @Phelix @Pookie @Rhyanon @Saphira Silvermoon @Seleevan Khar @Serick Kerani @Sirayn @Sherper @Shiva @Silver Neccho @Taei @Taeadra @Taluka @Tamerya @Taren @Taymist @Theodora @tonnalea @Visar Falmaien @Wayward_fool @Wildfire Sedai @Wintrow @WolfbrotherKronos @Yahna @Zentopia @Zhoaya 

I likely forgot many, or they got lost in the usergroup aether of god knows where... 

figure i'd tag who was in the rp and who might be interested in returning to something fresh, new, and yet familiar....

Edited by Arie

In terms of story, I like the idea of an alternative timeline to the books.  Means that we aren't bound to it completely and can make alterations as suits the players.  I'd also like to see the nations more active, in the books they tended to be more passive and reactive compared to the big players (the Towers, Children of Light, Seanchan, Shadow and Aiel).  Andor got a bit more love than elsewhere, but it felt like the world was happening to them rather than them having agency.  Admittedly, that is the nature of the cataclysm that is occurring, but there could be more opportunity for stories there.

always like writing in the Wheel of Time.  I like the idea of writing in a different age, one where we can define the rules, make the prophecies and pretty much focus on our characters not some pregenerated story line.

For simplicity sake and less world building required 100 years after the end of the Last Battle.  Gives a structure, and the freedom to create rulers of our own liking, rumors of the big names can float around, but no one's seen them in years they've retired.

I also like modern day but I'd rather recommend The First Age site for that since they've established their world already and have a story going.  Not that DM couldn't do the same era just I'm biased lol.

But I also think that the scope should be narrow.  As in, the main play area is Andor, or Murandy or someplace specific and that's where everyone should try to bring their characters.  Otherwise you scatter and no one can meet anyone and things get strung out.

What's a what what now??

I'd love to RP again. But I have lost my bios since the beginning of time... I feel like a hero of the Horn. Lol. 

Roughly I had 4 characters:

1) My primary: Skechid Aran Teobon. Storm Leader. Talent: AOL Healing, Cairheinin. Bonded to then M'hael, Dalinarius

2) Vighlair Argnand (Viggy): Seanchan. Son of the Emperor (Noble Blood), Raken/To'raken rider, Part of a pair of twins. I can't really play this character anymore because the family he was from including Empy, Michael and a few others have left DM.

3) Regalia Frantelle: Blue Sister. Tar Valonian (Is that what it's called?)

4) Camigwen Klatsang Marivin: Former Head of the Yellows (Might be retired now, I don't know), Talent: Major Healing

I dunno what to do. Writing Bios might take a while.

32 minutes ago, Wayward_fool said:

What's a what what now??

I'd love to RP again. But I have lost my bios since the beginning of time... I feel like a hero of the Horn. Lol. 

Roughly I had 4 characters:

1) My primary: Skechid Aran Teobon. Storm Leader. Talent: AOL Healing, Cairheinin. Bonded to then M'hael, Dalinarius

2) Vighlair Argnand (Viggy): Seanchan. Son of the Emperor (Noble Blood), Raken/To'raken rider, Part of a pair of twins. I can't really play this character anymore because the family he was from including Empy, Michael and a few others have left DM.

3) Regalia Frantelle: Blue Sister. Tar Valonian (Is that what it's called?)

4) Camigwen Klatsang Marivin: Former Head of the Yellows (Might be retired now, I don't know), Talent: Major Healing

I dunno what to do. Writing Bios might take a while.

If they are old, chances are they have been moved into the Legacy RP while Kathleen was Leader. I can probably find some (though no one has given me email access to anything). But we're in an in between where old characters -could- return, but won't likely have the same connections to people.

So, I can look for them. OR you can start fresh. make something new! There is a new template and the requirements for characters are a lot more loose than they were. (aka, no required novicehood). Up to you! We certainly would love to have you!

A good place to start is to Sign up. the usergroups are a MAJOR mess so SD is being so kind and helping me clean them up. This also means people likely lost access to a few things as well, which I'm happy to fix!

Edited by Arie

11 hours ago, Matalina said:

always like writing in the Wheel of Time.  I like the idea of writing in a different age, one where we can define the rules, make the prophecies and pretty much focus on our characters not some pregenerated story line.

For simplicity sake and less world building required 100 years after the end of the Last Battle.  Gives a structure, and the freedom to create rulers of our own liking, rumors of the big names can float around, but no one's seen them in years they've retired.

You could also do the old Broken World format.  10-20 years after Tarmon Gaidon, cataclysmic aftermath that allows you to limit the areas of play (they turned northern nations into a New Blight), with the major characters lost in the cataclysm there isn't anyone to weld people together into a united front so you have new conflicts in the aftermath.  It gives you the following plot points to run with:

- Surviving nations and their status

- Seanchan remnant

- What is left of the surviving Shadow followers (possibly without a Shaitan)

- WT/BT relations

- Exploring a new world (new factions/nations rise)

- Exploring the transformed nations (finding remnants of the old nations, trying to find families, survivours, new creatures, etc)

3 hours ago, Taymist said:

@Wayward_fool you'll probably find some or all legacy bios on the PSW Wiki, even if you just want to see them for reference. Here's your Blue Sister and here's your Yellow.

Skechid is still listed on the old BT RP website but I don't see the bios on there.

Ahhh thank you! Would be great to find Skechid's again. Can I still be Storm Leader? And Healer?

Thanks Taymist!

13 hours ago, Wayward_fool said:

Ahhh thank you! Would be great to find Skechid's again. Can I still be Storm Leader? And Healer?

Healer, YES!! Storm Leader... that's a great question. Are we playing with a Black Tower? And what would it look like? 

>.>

Before I go too far in the decision/proposal writing, I wanted to get as much input as possible. 🙂 it helps to navigate the next steps instead of sitting on a blanket blank space with little to no direction.

Three posts in a row.. wheee... 

I DO want to add that we have the Campaign area for more Unique storylines, like A First Age Modern story. It's a great place to test out ideas and stories without it turning away players that prefer a more traditional writing space. 
https://dragonmount.com/forums/forum/606-portal-stone-adventures/ 

@Matalina

Edited by Arie

I am aware 🙂 I had a story going there for a while pulling FA lore into an Alternate Universe with characters.  And provided there was interest I could do so again.  But would rather point them at the first age website (links in my sig) and grow there.

But I'm monitoring to see if I want to come back and play here.  

Fair fair. 🙂 

FA is certainly a lot better equipped for that kind of play, certainly. 

I suppose the question would be what interest would bring you back here that previously wasn't here.

I don't know.  I can usually get around the I don't want to train but you've handled that.  I think my fellow writers kinda fell off the planet so I drifted away.  Activity would bring me back.  I'm all for waiting weeks between posts if I have to, but I think everything needs to be centralized, so that we aren't all scattered around the wot world.  I'm not saying make it WT centric or something, but something that is 'everyone is here' you can play someplace else, but you won't have many people to play with cause we are all 'here'.  It's what works with the first age.  We are a group of maybe 5 active people with a few stragglers here and there who pop in and out.  But we are all in one location, we know if we want to play with others we have to put our character in Moscow, for whatever reason we want but that's where it is all at.  We can travel if we like, and do other things, but those are typically short lived story lines and everyone ends up in Moscow.

And I think no matter what time line you choose it should be someplace made up.  Something we can build and riff off of without messing up canon lore or getting called out on that's not how it is in XYZ place.

A time before the books that never quite reaches it or if it does we do it different.  Or set afterwards where we have much more freedom in where the story goes.

I know we've tried age of legends, and time after the last battle.  But I think those areas give a small body of work something easier to work with.  And the last battle afterwards gives us all our main players we might want to play where as a time before doesn't necessarily.

On 1/15/2024 at 2:39 AM, Wayfarer said:

You could also do the old Broken World format.  10-20 years after Tarmon Gaidon, cataclysmic aftermath that allows you to limit the areas of play (they turned northern nations into a New Blight), with the major characters lost in the cataclysm there isn't anyone to weld people together into a united front so you have new conflicts in the aftermath.  It gives you the following plot points to run with:

- Surviving nations and their status

- Seanchan remnant

- What is left of the surviving Shadow followers (possibly without a Shaitan)

- WT/BT relations

- Exploring a new world (new factions/nations rise)

- Exploring the transformed nations (finding remnants of the old nations, trying to find families, survivours, new creatures, etc)

Love this idea. Gives lots of freedom for creativity. Also provides real possibility for tensions between those who yearn for what was and those forging new paths into the future. It also plays well with what Mat said below. If much of the land is damaged/destroyed/warped, then we can legitimately corral characters of many different types in a much smaller area together.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:37 PM, Matalina said:

[...]but I think everything needs to be centralized, so that we aren't all scattered around the wot world.  I'm not saying make it WT centric or something, but something that is 'everyone is here' you can play someplace else, but you won't have many people to play with cause we are all 'here'. 

And I think no matter what time line you choose it should be someplace made up.  Something we can build and riff off of without messing up canon lore or getting called out on that's not how it is in XYZ place.

[...] Or set afterwards where we have much more freedom in where the story goes.

[...]And the last battle afterwards gives us all our main players we might want to play where as a time before doesn't necessarily.

Agreed. I definitely like the "after" concept. Everything we're familiar with still happened but it frees us up to write without so much restriction because the whole world has essentially changed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030522103425/http://www.broken-world.com/overview.php

Well, I found a working archived version of broken world.

Asha'man are on the up and up. The White Tower is temporarily dissolved. and it's chaos. XD 

While it's easy to just pick some idea's and run with it. Should we go the new -broken world- route of after the books... 

What would you want to see?

I'll admit, I'd adore having my old Red push the Academy in the FB just for the fun of it... but that's 100% self fan service. XD

I tossed some ideas into chatgpt... so it wasn't too centered around my own bias.. and this is what it spat out. It felt fitting to go 25 years after, since DM is 25 years old. XD

ECHOS OF THE DRAGON’S PEACE
25 Years After the Final Battle

The lands once shaped by the Dragon Reborn now stand at the precipice of a new era. The aftermath of the Last Battle has left scars and opportunities, a fragile peace held together by tenuous threads. In this uncertain landscape, a tale unfolds, weaving together the destinies of nations, magic, and the echoes of the Dragon's Peace.

The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled
With the White Tower undergoing extensive repairs, the seat of Aes Sedai power has temporarily shifted to the Black Tower. The uneasy alliance formed during the Last Battle has devolved into a Cold War, where distrust simmers beneath the surface. The Asha'man, once united, now find themselves entangled in a web of intrigue, political maneuvering, and a struggle for supremacy.

The Red Ajah's Rift: Mayene's Crucible
The Red Ajah, torn by ideological differences, has split in two. Traditionalists, favoring the established methods of dealing with male channelers, find refuge in Mayene. Here, they contend with both internal strife and the political intricacies of a nation seeking its own identity amidst the chaos.

Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling
The Seanchan Empire, once a force to be reckoned with, is now embroiled in internal conflict. The Crystal Throne is contested, with factions vying for control. As the Seanchan struggle for dominance, some of the nations they claimed are seizing the opportunity to reclaim their sovereignty.

Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed
Arad Doman, forever changed by the events following the Dragon's Peace, has shed its old identity and adopted a new name. As it navigates the challenges of reconstruction and renewal, the nation stands at the forefront of reshaping alliances and forging new paths in this post-Battle world.

Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall
Malkier, once a symbol of resilience and defiance, has risen from the ashes. The Borderlands celebrate the reclamation of Malkier, but their joy is tempered by the Blight's encroachment into Kandor. The division of the Borderlands threatens the very essence of their united front against the Shadow.

Amidst these swirling currents of change, heroes old and new emerge, their destinies intertwined with the fragile peace of the world. As alliances shift, betrayals unfold, and ancient prophecies echo, the wheel of time turns, revealing a future uncertain and ripe with both peril and promise. The echoes of the Dragon's Peace linger, and the world braces for the next chapter in its unfolding saga.

Edited by Arie

I like the idea that ALL the world is changing.  but I think we need to focus on ONE story in one area.

I love all the generated ideas.  But not all suited for a small group of writers.  And the active conflict should not be separated across the world.

The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled  & The Red Ajah's Rift: Mayene's Crucible Implies that you should be a channeler to participate. so not very open to allowing other types of characters

Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling While this is localized and has some free for all going not everyone wants to play a Seanchan so it's very limiting.

The other two on the other hand, provide some great well rounded characters of whatever design we want.

Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed We get to rebuild the nation however we want.  It might be a bit too freeing and there isn't a built in conflict other than it's changing.  But that could be alright.

Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall  This one gives us a conflict, it a two sided conflict.  We can have PC sides and there is a third Dark element with the Blight so inherent evil conflict to go with the personal sides.

You can have every known class of character, every nationality participating in the conflict all they need is a reason to be there.  A fresh start, a military man, got stuck there after the last battle and just stayed.  

I favor the borderlands story because it has the potential for the most 'story' to dive into so others don't feel so lost and flounder.  Set up would require setting up two 'camps/towns/cities' one in Malkier that is newly built and still under construction I'd imagine.  And one in Kandor that is threatened by the Blight and has an active military/fight against it.  Darkfriends can have an undermining presence in either causing descent with the masses or allowing Trollocs through the gate and what not.  Aes Sedai are there doing what they do best.  Black Tower too, which would pull in some of the Towers at war, so you could have that going on here.  Each tower having a faction on either side or maybe taking sides fueling the cold war between the two and dividing the borderlands further.

I think I am dead-set on the 25 years after the Final Battle, if there are no serious objections.

The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled  & The Red Ajah's Rift: Mayene's Crucible Implies that you should be a channeler to participate. so not very open to allowing other types of characters

Historically Channelers are the highest # in active characters, so it makes sense to have some options available for those who do. Not just here, but most WoT RP sites. Or at least have that plan in place. It may not appeal to {you, in general terms} but it is something that likely will be jumped on by those who favor Aes Sedai and Asha'man characters.

Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed We get to rebuild the nation however we want.  It might be a bit too freeing and there isn't a built in conflict other than it's changing.  But that could be alright.

I think the initial idea is that of most of the city nations that the Seanchan took over, Arad Doman is one that functioned the strongest independently, and if that mentality were to grow into those who have taken over the city, chances are there are some defectors from the seanchan side. (It's a possibility XD). Sean Doman was the name rattling in my head.

favor the borderlands story because it has the potential for the most 'story' to dive into so others don't feel so lost and flounder.  Set up would require setting up two 'camps/towns/cities' one in Malkier that is newly built and still under construction I'd imagine.  And one in Kandor that is threatened by the Blight and has an active military/fight against it. 

So there is an area in the map below Kandor, above Aridol in carlain grassland (I'm not looking up spelling.. but eh) that would be idea for a new 'borderland' settlement and a potential for all sorts of shenanigans. 

7 hours ago, Matalina said:

I like the idea that ALL the world is changing.  but I think we need to focus on ONE story in one area.

I agree, with one caveat. What we 'create' will not resonate with everyone, so I do want to be clear and open to other possibilities so even some world-generated information for incoming players will help them pull info for character background but also allow for growth should this do well. 🙂

Edited by Arie

Absolutely!  I'm not saying limit it to you can only play here.  I'm just saying that the story should predominately focus in one area.  When you have 10 active people writing (and this is being generous to the numbers I've seen poking about since lurking the last few days) you want a centralized location to build.  You can go where ever, do whatever, but if you have a central location you can build your character how you want but still fit into the game at hand.

I don't want to limit people from playing Tower politics, it wasn't the intention of my posts.  Yes channeling is #1 on WoT RP sites because it is the feature set of the series.  It should be available.  It should be plausible.  But with a future we can also say that there is a Tiny WT in the borderlands that is incognito as a school of girls if they are on the run.  Or the Kin set up a school for those girls who are in hiding etc.  There are tons of ways you can include the channeling into things if there are novices who want in on the story.  Typically you don't want to be a novice the whole time so a separate 'dev' thread like you got now would work to progress those characters through the basics if they choose to do so.

Build the World.  This is what's going on.  Add to the instructions if you think something is cool and want to add it to the world then by all means do it.  We'll discuss it when we talk bio approval.  Until the site is big again, there shouldn't be a wide ass world of play that is available at the ready.  It is a set up for failure.  If after you get started you and your friends want to go explore the isle of madmen (just some random thing) then go for it.  You can.  Others might join you in there and use that as a means of coming back to wherever 'home base' is.  

This is just experience with small sites talking.  The First Age is slow, there are 5 of who are regulars we play a shit ton of characters, and there are several others who pop in and out and occasionally we get new blood.  But we are 10 years strong and still a ton of stories to tell.  The story is centered in Moscow, but we've had adventures in Africa, the US, Mexico.  I think there was an India thread, I have a character doing some travel coming up, but Moscow is home base.  It's where everyone is.  Where everyone tries to get to just so you have writing opportunities.  The ones who don't start in Moscow or get there quickly they fizzle out because they don't have anyone to play with.

DMs RP isn't big.  It has the potential to be big as DM is a WoT source of information, but need to stop thinking we need to cater to the masses.  You can do that as it grows, and it'll happen naturally.

That's my two cents.

@Wayfarer @Matalina I updated the Poll on the top, feel free to change your choices. 

@Taymist @Wayward_fool Feel free to weigh in on the poll as well. @Cass and @Elessar as well, as you guys are still writing 😉

We also have sign-ups of @HeavyHalfMoonBlade & @Dar'Jen Ab Owain 

I have further stuff to add in, but nailing down 1-2 things will help knock us in a direction instead of floating in the 'anywhere time'

Edited by Arie