DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let's Talk Stories..

Arie

Timelines, Stories and Stuff  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Oh my!! (Pick what you want. Share what I missed.)

• No to: The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled (& Potential Red Ajah Plot)
    • Yes to: Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed
    • No to: Arad Doman's Rebirth: A Nation Transformed
    • Yes to: Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall
    • No to: Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall
    • Yes to: Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling
    • No to: Seanchan's Internal Strife: A Nation Unraveling
    • Help me Generate more Ideas!
    • For the -no's- suggest another plot idea?
    • YES to: The Two Towers: A Cold War Unveiled (& Potential Red Ajah Plot) (sorry, this got lost...)

4 minutes ago, Matalina said:

Absolutely!  I'm not saying limit it to you can only play here.  I'm just saying that the story should predominately focus in one area.  When you have 10 active people writing (and this is being generous to the numbers I've seen poking about since lurking the last few days) you want a centralized location to build.  You can go where ever, do whatever, but if you have a central location you can build your character how you want but still fit into the game at hand.

We're Golden! 😄 

The First Age is slow, there are 5 of who are regulars we play a shit ton of characters, and there are several others who pop in and out and occasionally we get new blood.  But we are 10 years strong and still a ton of stories to tell.

Most long-standing RPs are very much like this, and I agree that catering to larger is... exhausting and probably a waste of work. It is 100% why I'm intentionally dropping 95% of the rules and process that Dragonmount developed to accommodate the large numbers we had. It's not worth it.

And since WE are the ones here and WE are the ones that want to play, I'm more than happy to cater to us, so long as we keep an open mind when someone else joins with more ideas. After all, we both know that's where the magic in RP happens.

I just noticed. I added it back in. 

Also note.. As much as I -hate- the white cloaks... with a burning passion, the seanchan I could 100% have done without in the books as a whole. I have 0 interest in writing/plotting in that area.

That said, I'm all for someone developing it. I just won't. XD

1000% agree.  The world should be built by us who play.  It's one reason DM was restricting.  We were playing with in the confines of preconceived set of stories.  It worked while we were in between books, because it's all we knew.  But now, we have an end. We can expand out, do more.

I would love to see DM's RP grow to where it was.  But we aren't there yet 🙂 Once you nail down something, I'll work a new bio, keep telling myself I shouldn't, and trying to distract myself with new characters at First Age and rewriting my own stuff lol, but DM has a fond place in my heart.

I'm not wanting to do the Seanchan either... not even slightly.  

You at least hate the white cloaks for in story reasons... the seanchan just kinda came from nowhere imo  The Return is great the last battle not so much.

• RP - PLAYER

Two Rivers or Two Towers?

I'll abstain from voting as ah dinnae have a scooby. Most of the scenarios in my mind seem to be re-writing the setting too much, so that too much would about setting up new institutions and political systems and so on. But I have never done this before, so I am quite content to have my misgivings sit on the side and learn from experience. I would in many ways prefer a timeline before the books, except for the Black Tower - it would seem a shame to exclude that. 

But anyway, I'll watch these discussions with interest, but don't think I can give much meaningful input and I am completely confident that you guys will work out something very satisfactory.

Two Towers! Let's give it a bright firey eye, hm? 

In all seriousness..

3 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I'll abstain from voting as ah dinnae have a scooby. Most of the scenarios in my mind seem to be re-writing the setting too much, so that too much would about setting up new institutions and political systems and so on.

You are joining a conversation of 3 players who were writing here... 20 years ago. XD But you have as much of a say as those that know how to poke my weaknesses. If anything, which one DOES draw you in?

I'd love to know what random idea(s) you have! 

I agree.  New blood is always welcome.  Always!  

Before the books, is fun too.  Just pick a place.  It just doesn't leave as much leeway for growth as we are working in the confines of a system.  Which for the masses is great for control.  We don't have masses yet (or anymore)

• RP - PLAYER

The Red Ajah plot seems a bit confused as the "traditional" Reds would be pretty much declaring war on the Black Tower, which seems like too much of a black and white conflict. I'm not sure that Arad Doman renaming itself to sound like Bayle Domon's long-lost Irish half brother catches my imagination. The Borderlands sounds quite interesting, but - and I have to admit I blanked out a lot of Tarmon Gai'don - isn't the Blight gone now the bore has been completely sealed?

I cannot really think of anything - the Dragon's Peace is quite constraining. A cold war between the Aiel, the Towers, the Griffon League and Greater Andor could be a very fertile backdrop but is also very diffuse (even cutting out the Southern Nations and Western), and involve a lot of NPCs and politics. And it would just be a back drop instead of story line.

I simply dunnoes.

Aha!  I was able to post on this thread again.

I agree with Mat with having one or two focal points for players to jump in, yet have other things happening in the world that people can interact with/expand into.  I particularly like the idea that if many players lean into certain narrative points that the world is shaped accordingly.  It was one of the hard parts of the older DM RP setups, they were constrained by the main storyline and when people weren't prepared to advance the main storyline, others felt held up.  We got lots of 'in the past' rps or lots of stories happening within an impossible space of time.

I think 25 years forward is a solid choice.  It allows for characters that were born post-TG that only know the new world, as well as the older ones that lived during the final days before TG and with their own experiences.  Some thoughts possibilities for a post-TG world:

- BT/WT cold war conflict could take a few forms, but being recognised as a supreme authority by the remaining nations as well as new ones could be a major factor. Gives people points to have conflict/compete on while developing different nations. They'd have their own problems post-TG.

- Normally nations have baby booms post-war. I mention this because there are notes that birth rates were dropping over the centuries before TG, with theories that this was due to the Dark One's influence and one of the reasons that so much land was effectively unclaimed and unsettled by the existing nations.

- Post-TG diaspora from people fleeing Seanchan lands, fleeing the lands devastated by the Shadow just before TG, any backlash post-TG, there are options here. New settlements/self-proclaimed leaders, they'd either have to be strong enough to be independent or rely on support of others, either nations or organisations like WT or BT, to operate safely.

- Separate channeler groups are a possibility. Not only do you have WT/BT, any splinter groups (like the Trad Reds mentioned), hardliner BT'ers that refuse to work with female channelers due to a history of being hunted, Sea Folk, who are reclaiming the seas, Kinswomen that refuse to affiliate with WT, any group founded by someone who deserted and found new acolytes, sul'dam/damane that escaped the main Seanchan forces (maybe set themselves up as rulers, confirming Seanchan fears of women channelers from their history but motivated by their realisation that the only difference between them is the end of the leash and united by a fear of all being leashed). A longer story arc could be looking at the idea of a unification of all channelers, if not in organisation at least in federation and binding themselves to certain rules to maintain a peace.

-It also may be worth thoroughly decimating the Aiel.  Not wipe out, but remove them as a major power.  It is unlikely to get many players there.  Issues surrounding them could be taking huge losses during TG and accompanying disruption in society that comes from losing generations that would normally guarantee stability and also hand down their expertise. Loss of people to the Tuatha'an with the revelation of shared origins Loss of people from their culture after extensive interactions with the Westlands after centuries of minimal contact.  Particularly the knowledge that there are green lands unoccupied to settle. War with the Sharans after TG

- Ogier: Post-TG, did they use the Book of Translation?  In which case, did they all leave?  Is there a way to follow them?  Was there a purpose to their departure beyond ensuring the Fourth Age could begin?
- Children of the Light: Would they have reclaimed a more respectable image after TG for having fought the Shadow?  What is their purpose and identity after TG?

- The Ways: Saidin has been cleansed, Mashadar has been obliterated, Padan Fain who carried the last vestige of Mashadar within him is gone. What are the chances that Machin Shin is also gone? In which case could the waygates be reclaimed? What other secrets could be discovered within them? Lost locations, maybe even sites within the ways themselves.

- The Blight: Is it healed and new turning into verdant land?  Could it have been warped again by the sheer scale of power used during TG?  Weaknesses in reality, new fauna and flora coming forth (like the Seanchan exotic creatures, etc), new challenges that come with that.  Not just for reclamation of Malkier, but also something as simple as an invasive species of plant moving south and threatening crops/livelihoods/lives.

- Surviving darkfriends: What are they doing?  Any attempts to reunify a remnant?  Trying to bring back the Dark One?  Ambitious and trying to grab power as they can despite the lack of Dark One?  People who may have given their oaths out of fear or otherwise compelled now trying to blend back into society?  Are all the Shadowspawn gone with the Dark One cut off?

Heaps of story points that could be explored or considered, but not necessarily be a focal point for players.

Edited by Wayfarer

You make a fair point, particularily about the Blight. 

Spoiler

After the events of the Last Battle and the sealing of the Bore by Rand al'Thor, the Dark One's direct influence on the world is severed, and the taint on Saidin is cleansed. This has significant repercussions for the Blight:

1. Cleansing of the Source: The cleansing of Saidin removes the taint that had affected male channelers since the Breaking of the World. This cleansing, performed by Rand al'Thor using the True Power and Saidar, has a profound impact on the Blight.

2. Purification of the Land: The Blight, being a manifestation of the Dark One's touch on the world, experiences a degree of purification with the sealing of the Bore. The influence of the Dark One is diminished, and the land starts to recover from the corruption.

3. Reduced Threat: With the Dark One's direct influence cut off, the Blight becomes less of an immediate and overwhelming threat to the world. The creatures and forces that once poured forth from the Blight are diminished or scattered.

4. Ongoing Presence: While the Blight is not eradicated entirely, its influence is greatly reduced. The land remains tainted and dangerous, but it no longer poses the same existential threat to the world as it did during the time when the Bore was open.

It's important to note that the ending of the series leaves some aspects open to interpretation, and the fate of the Blight is not explicitly detailed. However, the sealing of the Bore represents a turning point in the struggle against the Dark One and has a profound impact on the state of the world, including the Blight.

So, I think we can go a different route than the Blight moving down but a full-on territory re-landscaping.

As in, the blight didn't take it.. but battles with the True Power and the Final Battle did. 

Now I have to pull up my map-making software......

I agree with Mat with having one or two focal points for players to jump in, yet have other things happening in the world that people can interact with/expand into.  I particularly like the idea that if many players lean into certain narrative points that the world is shaped accordingly.

For now I'll accept that as a consenus. 2 places to build. 

Also...

I made a map... 

Spoiler

map2.thumb.png.9161ed8b604c8dcacbfcba7ac6b0bfd9.png

with map overlay... Added aiel waste and kandor is basically a new 'mountain range...'. I might play more later when my brain isn't working. 

map1.thumb.png.09cec652f0132acce51f6ffc970c8eb0.png

Further Thoughts:

BT/WT cold war conflict could take a few forms, but being recognised as a supreme authority by the remaining nations as well as new ones could be a major factor. Gives people points to have conflict/compete on while developing different nations. They'd have their own problems post-TG.

Given a few points above with this. I feel that both Towers have their flaws, and the work done between the Amrylin, The Dragon, and the new M'Hael that takes over would at least forge some other separate alliance. Whether it's building something new together or rebuilding separately I have seen both work in various RPs and if we are reducing locations, I would say we should lean towards building things together and get a few key characters in the recent timeline that shape that to start. 

Especially if the new birth boom occurs, that's a lot of new talent and only so much experience to go around.

It also may be worth thoroughly decimating the Aiel.  Not wipe out, but remove them as a major power.  It is unlikely to get many players there.

Maybe not decimate, but end their 'exile'. With the bore changing, and those that crossed over learning, perhaps we add that fertile land back into the Waste and many return. Those that stay are those that either WANT to adapt, or could not make the return and their children have a choice to return or to build on the life their parents chose to keep. Not quite to the tinker standards, but there certainly are likely new rules to protect Ruidean and all. No more random tests there. 😉

OR the jenn aiel are reformed by those that followed the Dragon, and voila. they have a different purpose rebuilding on that side of the mountains.

Whole different plot, not something we have to develop in detail now.

Ogier: Post-TG, did they use the Book of Translation?  In which case, did they all leave?  Is there a way to follow them?  Was there a purpose to their departure beyond ensuring the Fourth Age could begin?

Have them leave. And with it, somehow many of the Seanchan Ogier leave too. The song fueled by the pattern itself? 

Honestly, I'm meh on whether they stay or go. So few are often played.

The Ways: Saidin has been cleansed, Mashadar has been obliterated, Padan Fain who carried the last vestige of Mashadar within him is gone. What are the chances that Machin Shin is also gone? In which case could the waygates be reclaimed? What other secrets could be discovered within them? Lost locations, maybe even sites within the ways themselves.

I like this as a potential adventure party plot for players. 😄 Like a dungeon delve in the Ways instead. 😉

The Blight: Is it healed and new turning into verdant land?  Could it have been warped again by the sheer scale of power used during TG?  Weaknesses in reality, new fauna and flora coming forth (like the Seanchan exotic creatures, etc), new challenges that come with that.  Not just for reclamation of Malkier, but also something as simple as an invasive species of plant moving south and threatening crops/livelihoods/lives.

Yes. yes. I'm gold with that slowly being developed with player suggestions and storytelling.

Children of the Light: Would they have reclaimed a more respectable image after TG for having fought the Shadow?  What is their purpose and identity after TG?

I feel like this could be one of the major players against the Seanchan in that area. Those that defect from the Lord Commander. Others that look for redemption. ETC. I feel like we need MORE opposition that isn't in line with the Dragon's Peace and they may be one of them.

random WT/BT Plot thoughts:

Spoiler

4ef8c9509e04771eed8fa204e006ece0.jpg

Ignore the wings.. but this gives the visual of the Hall a different view for inspiration.

Traditional Ajah's vs Non-Traditional

Some Ajah's have welcomed their male counterparts, others have not. How that would make the Black Tower sit, is a curious thing along with the decimation of the Black Ajah. 

The concept behind the Red's breaking in half was not to make them wage war, but something else entirely. I don't want to make them the despicable Elaida-type Reds. Pevara is likely the Ideal non-traditional however. It feels something interesting to develop, and 100% yes they are declaring/denying the WT/BT as 'wrong', but even those in exile learn things the hard way. 😉 

In regards to the political situation, the Dragon's Peace has been mentioned multiple times . . . I feel like the existing entities that were signatories still be bound to it but those that are established have now had a generation of new young come through, anxious to make their mark in the world and the old ready now to seek advantage in a new world where they cannot be 'aggressors' but still seek to assert their rights.  Then you may have new associations and groups that have either not been recognised enough to be invited to sign or have formed and as of yet haven't.

In fact these groups may be one of the first friction points, not guaranteed by the peace and possibly not recognised as valid authorities in their own right.  Say for example, your idea of a Red Ajah trad group going their own way.

It may be worth heavily butchering both the WT and BT numbers.  Think of it as opening the way for a new generation, meaning both the WT and BT have to change how they train their members.  You could have Novices and Accepted that accompany Aes Sedai into the world due to the lack of sisters, but still able to link and assist while 'learning on the job'.  It also asks the question of what kind of sisters the WT wishes to produce post-TG.  Likewise with the BT, they were made as weapons during the lead up to TG.  How do they see themselves after TG?  Guardians?  Do they take on other aspects such as ambassadors, help communities, etc?  They don't have the same level of tradition binding them that the WT does, and they were heavily depopulated by the Shadow turning and would then have losses during TG.  May some of them have decided that with Tarmon Gaidon done that their service is finished and left?

On that note, it may be worth killing off most/all main characters.  If you have it so the ending of TG saw the wipe out of the main leadership, the signatories and representatives for the Dragon's Peace, that would make it more precarious.  Second stringers that never expected to have authority then being thrust into positions of authority.  It makes it easier for some of the more established groups like the WT to then have people break away like your red trad idea, or for kinswomen to go their own way, etc.

I support the number of destruction of the channelers. Between the hundreds culled by Egwene and the magic of Graendael decemating things, and all the portals... it would not be difficult for numbers to reflect that. 

*i'm going to plot crunch on this*

Do we want any of the Legacy stories to 'survive' or are we leaning heavier on the books? 

Edited by Arie

38 minutes ago, Quibby said:

What is meant by "Legacy", in this case?  Is that referring to the major RPs from Ye Oldene Dayes of Yore?

OMG IT"S A QUIB!!! 

yes. Legacy = All the RP on DM that spans over 20 years. 😉

On 1/18/2024 at 11:00 AM, Matalina said:

I like the idea that ALL the world is changing.  but I think we need to focus on ONE story in one area.

Borderlands Divided: Malkier's Triumph and Kandor's Fall  This one gives us a conflict, it a two sided conflict.  We can have PC sides and there is a third Dark element with the Blight so inherent evil conflict to go with the personal sides.

You can have every known class of character, every nationality participating in the conflict all they need is a reason to be there.  A fresh start, a military man, got stuck there after the last battle and just stayed.  

I favor the borderlands story because it has the potential for the most 'story' to dive into so others don't feel so lost and flounder.  Set up would require setting up two 'camps/towns/cities' one in Malkier that is newly built and still under construction I'd imagine.  And one in Kandor that is threatened by the Blight and has an active military/fight against it. 

This. Same area, same reasons.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:06 PM, Arie said:

I think I am dead-set on the 25 years after the Final Battle, if there are no serious objections.

Makes the most sense to me. Not the immediate aftermath but soon enough after for a lot of flux and tension.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:06 PM, Arie said:

So there is an area in the map below Kandor, above Aridol in carlain grassland (I'm not looking up spelling.. but eh) that would be idea for a new 'borderland' settlement and a potential for all sorts of shenanigans. 

Sounds like it could work.

10 hours ago, Wayfarer said:

It may be worth heavily butchering both the WT and BT numbers. 

I think this would go without saying. Their numbers were culled greatly. I'm inclined to prefer the idea that on the whole the Towers have decided to become one operational unit. It just makes sense. But obviously, people being people, there will be factions who don't like it or agree with it. Whether that's as suggested with the Reds, or angry BT folks, or both... and the tensions between older and younger generations is just natural within any body of folk.

Admittedly I'm looking at this from the point of view of what would persuade me to make an effort to actually come back and write given my time is sorely limited. Lean more on the Books than the Legacy RPs. If you're having an effective clean slate, there's little point dragging over complications from the old stuff. Would you be allowing Legacy characters to be transferred over, given some of the lifespans involved, if people wanted to? 25 years is nothing to a Sister for instance.

Quibster 😎 good to see you.

11 minutes ago, Taymist said:

Would you be allowing Legacy characters to be transferred over, given some of the lifespans involved, if people wanted to? 25 years is nothing to a Sister for instance.

As I would be hard-pressed to tell Elessar to stop writing his character, I would say the same for others. The caveat is they may have to either:

a) remove informational connections to plots that we are not keeping

b) provide some logical reason for them to be where they are

c) IF you want to have a solid impact on the timeline with the character, it should make sense and further the story in some way.

Honestly... I'm -extremely- flexible with bringing back former characters from the Legacy Era. That said, I probably won't approve another until we nail down more timeline events.

(I mean.. a 50 year old Conor who tells tall tales from the final battle is deeply tempting to me... knowing he probably had the 'best' luck and none of the stories are true...)

Edited by Arie

"Yes, yes, Grandpa Pahl, you were there at the big battle and you personally blew everything up with magical black dirt.  Let's get you into bed now."

While I like the idea of a few of the old characters remembering the Legacy stuff as actual history and not being believed when they tell their stories because they're "too far-fetched", I think it would be a pain to manage without everybody agreeing on what did or didn't happen.  Maybe references to Legacy stuff should be treated like Captain America in the comics during WWII: wild stories that just happen to coincide with actual events.

Well, that's a special character. XD (it's hard to explain without referencing some weird RP's that include grass skirts, a crown made of fish bones, and a pet squirrel.......)

As a more concrete example:

Maegan Ryanne 'retired' from the White Tower (at some point) and put her effort into the Carihien Academy where she worked with a small group of inventors. They were working on a multiple of inventions both for defensive purposes but also things to change the quality of life. Inspired by Maegan Sedai's talent of creating Ter'Angreal, shortly after the Final Battle, they introduced a form of "lighting". (Gas, or something). Over the course of the next 10-15 years, Cairhein has become the center for both inventors and scientist since the Age of Legends but also the first city to have grid lighting both in the streets and within the home.

Spoiler

The --- age, there are the new steam cars used to haul freight. They were developed at the Acadamy and Barthane's manor. As far as Age of Legends technology the "exchanger" Graendal sees in Sammael's apartments seems to be an air conditioner, which implies knowledge and experience with compressed gasses(the basic principle of an AC unit) and is directly related to steam turbines.

A basic outline of electric generation using OP and our technology would be a knot of fire creating high amounts of heat in a chamber, then feed water into it. The water expands into steam and turns exhaust turbines creating electricity.

Edited by Arie