DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

LOL.

Egwene

•  
  • Sexy? Hardly. And she is in love with that fool Gawyn. Shows how smart she is.
  • Confident? More like straight up arrogance and conceitedness.
  • Ambitious? She was given the Seat because those idiot Aes Sedai thought they could control her, but since she is the Mary Sue of the series she controls them. And she whined her way into the Aiel to learn about TAR, and she still lied multiple times to Amys. How many times in TSR was she "waahhhhh its not fair that Rand gets to do whatever he wants!"

Oh my, jealousy is a hell of a drug.

Unlike Egwene, at least the "wolf doofus" is a true master of TAR by catching balefire weaves. And at least Lan is the greatest swordsman in the entire land

the doofus could not even save hooper.Ofcourse it's not suprising though since your IQ doesn't change in TAR either *snigger*. As for rhe greatest swordsman in the land, well i will give him that. Shame though he will only hold on to it for another book. He will perish in AMOL and i say good riddance.

Egwene isn't even the strongest Aes Sedai.

Doesn't matter. her accomplishments dwarfs her strenghth in the power.

Egwene and Fortuona should join an arrogance club together.

fortuna is not fit to clean the amyrlin's shawl. The only thing she's got on egwene is melanin levels

I'm not biting again. I've said my peace. ;)

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL.

Egwene

•  
  • Sexy? Hardly. And she is in love with that fool Gawyn. Shows how smart she is.
  • Confident? More like straight up arrogance and conceitedness.
  • Ambitious? She was given the Seat because those idiot Aes Sedai thought they could control her, but since she is the Mary Sue of the series she controls them. And she whined her way into the Aiel to learn about TAR, and she still lied multiple times to Amys. How many times in TSR was she "waahhhhh its not fair that Rand gets to do whatever he wants!"

Oh my, jealousy is a hell of a drug.

Unlike Egwene, at least the "wolf doofus" is a true master of TAR by catching balefire weaves. And at least Lan is the greatest swordsman in the entire land

the doofus could not even save hooper.Ofcourse it's not suprising though since your IQ doesn't change in TAR either *snigger*. As for rhe greatest swordsman in the land, well i will give him that. Shame though he will only hold on to it for another book. He will perish in AMOL and i say good riddance.

Egwene isn't even the strongest Aes Sedai.

Doesn't matter. her accomplishments dwarfs her strenghth in the power.

Egwene and Fortuona should join an arrogance club together.

fortuna is not fit to clean the amyrlin's shawl. The only thing she's got on egwene is melanin levels

I'm not biting again. I've said my peace. ;)

see this? this is all suttree's fault. Ruining my fun. hey sutree go find and torment kael and leave me alone

I'm not going to go into a rant about Egwene. I don't like her very much, but I don't hate her. She's probably my least favorite of the main characters besides Elayne, though.

But...sexy? I don't really see it. Sexiness is something that's pretty subjective, though, so whatever turns you on, I guess.

Still, in my humble opinion, here are some female characters sexier than Egwene:

Mistress Luhan

Lini

Lanfear alternate costumes Silvie and Keille Shaogi

Bela

Female Trollocs

Oak Dancer

I'm not going to go into a rant about Egwene. I don't like her very much, but I don't hate her. She's probably my least favorite of the main characters besides Elayne, though.

But...sexy? I don't really see it. Sexiness is something that's pretty subjective, though, so whatever turns you on, I guess.

Still, in my humble opinion, here are some female characters sexier than Egwene:

Mistress Luhan

Lini

Lanfear alternate costumes Silvie and Keille Shaogi

Bela

Female Trollocs

Oak Dancer

You forgot Bair, and all of her boney sinewy goodness.

people hate egwene because she's sexy, confident, ambitious and gets what she wants. jealousy all around. Makes their favourite characters look like dim witted fools and outshines them all like the beautiful sun she is.

anyways back to the thread. I cant decide who i hate more. The mentally incapacitated wolf doofus who has an iq below 10 or the blademaster who has obsessive compulsive order in regards to death and avenging his worthless burnt up kingdom. I hope he meets his end in a trolloc cookpot.

Actually Elan here you touched upon one of my pet peeves in WoT: RJ was unable to move Egwene’s storyline to desired outcome without forcing the plot to promote her, while simultaneously having to force plot to contain number of other characters storylines. And neither was good. So, it ended in Aes Sedai and those two guys you mentioned (as well as number of other characters) being, shall we say, rather less than shiny examples of intelligence.

To illustrate it with few examples: the way she is treated in KOD together with whole capture at the end of COT, siege itself in same book, war vote in TPOD were at least Romanda and Lelaine should know the law in question and have motivation to see motion not passed, oaths to Ewene in ACOS, hell whole shenanigan with electing an Accepted for Amyrlin Seat in LOC. And what was going on in TGS, it is better left uncommented. As well as mater of Halima.

On other hand we have, well pretty much everyone else. I think that you are a bit to harsh on Perrin. At a beginning of the story he had what amounts to good job/career and was pleased with his life. He was satisfied. All that came afterwards (well, almost – he likes being in marriage with Faile, but we can’t really hold that against him, heart wants what heart wants) being ta’veren, wolfbrother, lord, was something that he didn’t want. Image of “mentally incapacitated wolf doofus who has an iq below 10” comes from partly, his own passive personality, partly from having job and responsibilities he never wanted dumped on him and partly from being married with foreigner from widely different cultural background and expectations in life and marriage. However, I’d say that none of that excuses the fact that RJ didn’t have anything important (or anything at all) for him to do between Dumai’s Wells and Merrilor Field so he burdened him, his wife and us readers with yawning monstrosity that is Plot of Doom.

Here I will note that, usually I don’t as much dislike character (well, with exception of Egwene) as I dislike their story arcs but I came damn close to that with Lan from KOD onwards. (Funnily enough when you mentioned “the blademaster who has obsessive compulsive order in regards to death and avenging” I thought that you meant Gawyn) I know that RJ had that big theme of miscommunication, notcomunication, and that his general idea of character growth was in lines of “get him far away from rest of main cast and let them not talk if possibly at all, double for asking help, triple for cooperating” but what he did with Lan was just plain ridicules. Here we have a grown man in forties, an experienced soldier and if not king, than noble of high rank with experience in court life and involved in biggest political-military endeavor not only of his time, but possibly preceding millennium (here I speak of Great Alliance). He has access to top political figure and what does he do when he is unsatisfied with politics of said politician concerning defense of his adopted homeland?

Does he confronts him on those maters? Does he suggest different course of action? Does he offer to be liaison between that politician and countries in question authorities (which at least know and respect him unlike said person who is almost completely an unknown to them)? Does he offer help at all? Does he even talk about it? Hell does he as much as comes and say “Listen kid, you really ought to do something about Borderlands and if won’t than I’m going to”. No he haven’t done any of that. He practically sneaked away on suggestion of his young and politically inexperienced wife (I must say that I don’t hold this against Nynaeve, well not that much, she is after all provincial and ignorant about things outside her home and limited area in OP usage and is were emotional and prone to be influenced by that when making decisions. Still she should have shown at least some common sense. But it was something that Lan wished for and she simple indulged him) not informing anyone, with presumed intention to personally (and single handedly) combat creatures of Shadow.

I’m going to repeat this one more time: a man in forties with decades of experience of fighting in Blight and elsewhere both as common fighter, officer and warder with connections in courts and direct access to prophesied savior of world and when that savior isn’t doing exactly what he think he should be doing his thought process goes like this: “Hm, Dragon Reborn doesn’t pay enough attention to Borderlands. Oh well, I might as well return to what I was doing before I’ve heard that he is reborn and that Armageddon is coming in my lifetime. Which is to fight (preferably solo) Trolocs and other creatures of Blight while he’s doing whatever he is doing”.

Reading WoT I have, few times and usually with Rand, had desire to get into book, slap character and ask him/her “WHAT ARE YOU DOING JACKASS!!!!!!!!” But never so strongly as concerning this. I thought of posting topic “No, it isn’t cool, it’s really, really stupid”. This goes way beyond anything any other character has done including all 3 Trakands. Taken together.

Perrin. Mat. Gawyn. Hate them.

Why Mat and Perrin?

Why not Mat and Perrin?

Perrin because he's boring to read.. I also blame him for introducing Faile, forcing me to read her chapters too (as well as her unnecessarily long winded rescue.)

Mat because I find him terribly unfunny. Also boring to read. Just die already.

My least favourite thing about the books? The cover art. It's just terrible, on every book. Why did this guy get EVERY cover? These covers are what hold this series back from being bigger than that Potter fool.

My least favourite character? Sevannah (stupid, evil, conniving, pointless b***h), followed by Gawyn (stupid boy), Asunawa (Himmler, anyone?), Byar and Masema.

My least favourite character's Cadsuane. Has been since she arrived and will always be. I just find her overbearing and overly arrogant, and I don't think it's necessary. Plus, I didn't like the fact she was the one who figured out how to humiliate Semirhage...I thought that belittled Semirhage's character a little.

I also dislike Egwene and Gareth Bryne. I think Egwene's annoying and too praised by everyone within the books and I never liked the way she behaved towards Rand. And Bryne is just dull I feel, which is a shame because I liked him when he was introduced and his earlier interactions with Siuan were interesting. Oh well!

I don't like Min. I just don't find her particularly intriguing and I don't see what so's fascinating about her that Rand should fall for her.

But to be honest, I have occasional moments where I want to slap most of the characters. Rand for being whiney, Egwene for being stupid (Halima), Nynave for being rude, Elayne for being pompous, Gawyn for supporting Elaida... The list is endless...

• 2 weeks later...

Elayne.

It's not even close. I hate her so much it's not even funny. If I was in a room with her I do not think I would be able to restrain myself from smacking her. She has such a sense of entitlement to anything that she does not offer any reason for people to obey her other than that she is Daughter-Heir/Queen or Aes Sedai and she deserves it. She displays a constant disregard for people around her, endangering herself and others without thinking about the harm that may come to them. Out of every other main character, she is the one that shows the least thought and care for others.

Also I identify highly with Mat, so that might be the reason too.

Outside her I really don't dislike any other character; I don't understand the Egwene hate, she sort of has the sense of power that Elayne has, but Egwene has earned it. She went through arduous training with the Aiel and various trials in her 'exile' in the White Tower before she finally fully ascended. She wields the power she has fully, but she seems to have consideration for everyone and everything involved before doing so

Totally agree with afog0ats above. Beyond liking good guys and despising bad guys, following the arcs as the young people mature amidst danger, I cannot like Elayne, nor Morgase. And it is the entitlement, the absolute attitude of supremacy toward Perrin, and Mat, based on claiming land too far away to do more than try to steal taxes. When did they ever do anything for the Two Rivers?

And seriously, the Elayne Rand relationship seems to be wholly based on first crush attraction and hormones. Where's the friendship? The getting to know you part was all her giving advice on being a monarch.

Gawyn seems to maybe getting a clue. And Galad gets smarter. But the Trakand heiresses arrghh. I hate them.

And seriously, the Elayne Rand relationship seems to be wholly based on first crush attraction and hormones. Where's the friendship? The getting to know you part was all her giving advice on being a monarch.

I feel you should not forget the snogging. If secondary school memories serve snogging in semi-public places and corners is very good for getting to know each other really well :biggrin: .

Gawyn because his entire arc is about his worthlessness and most of his conflicts are caused by him being absolutely worthless. I don't understand how a man can feel so lost and ineffectual without shrinking and shriveling into a prune.

Perrin because his mental conflict could/should have been solved in 1 event, rather than him going back to the cradle after learning how to walk. His companions are the best written other than Matt's companions though, so his parts aren't absolutely unbearable.

Egwene because she's a BDSM loving woman surrounded by a mass of idiots who spend half their time helping Egwene enjoy her masochism.

Faile because her companions suck. To me, companions are 50% of the character appeal, and her terrible companions are simply annoying.

Cadsuane because her companions are mentally incompetent idiots who suck on her teet. After Verin left, the Aes Sedai traveling with her lost any life. Having Daigian die didn't help either, as she had more personality in her aging toe than Beldeine will ever have. Her interactions with Rand began to be utterly terrible after the first 2 books she interacted with him.

In no particular order: Elayne, Aviendha, Faile (and Perrin whenever he's around her), Gawyn, almost all of the Seafolk (the way they act after the Bowl bargain is absurd). Moghedian, Sammael/Bel'al/Balthamel/Aginor/Rahvin (all felt like a rehash on the same personality traits, evil, wanna rule the world, jealous of Lews Therin, etc. And none of them do much of interest, except maybe Sammael.). Nynaeve especially, horrible, horrible character, I have no idea why the people around her put up with her instead of telling her to go to hell and she's almost as annoying to read about as she is as a person. Not very fond of Tuon either. Galad of course.

God, in any other series that would feel like so many that I'd wonder why I kept reading. Lucky WOT has such a huge cast.

I don't like Padan Fain. I find him disgusting and annoying.

I also don't like Loial. He seems kind of like an 'extra' to me.

Not much help to anybody, just tag along with everybody.

oh please.

padan fain is only worthwhile villain in this entire series. not the forsaken, not the worthless dark one, not certainly not dark friends either.

Elayne.

It's not even close. I hate her so much it's not even funny. If I was in a room with her I do not think I would be able to restrain myself from smacking her. She has such a sense of entitlement to anything that she does not offer any reason for people to obey her other than that she is Daughter-Heir/Queen or Aes Sedai and she deserves it. She displays a constant disregard for people around her, endangering herself and others without thinking about the harm that may come to them. Out of every other main character, she is the one that shows the least thought and care for others.

Outside her I really don't dislike any other character; I don't understand the Egwene hate, she sort of has the sense of power that Elayne has, but Egwene has earned it. She went through arduous training with the Aiel and various trials in her 'exile' in the White Tower before she finally fully ascended. She wields the power she has fully, but she seems to have consideration for everyone and everything involved before doing so

I guess we are reading different books then. Are you sure you are reading wheel of time by Robert Jordan

I like Loial, it's nice to have a character who feels like more of a real person and not some towering political/magical/ta'veren demigod type. The others are building armies and saving lives and saving the world and ascending to high political office, Loial just wants to stick around long enough to write his book without getting killed or trapped in the stedding by his family. Gives you a bit of perspective.

Elayne.

I guess we are reading different books then. Are you sure you are reading wheel of time by Robert Jordan

no he's reading the right books. the question is are you reading it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived