DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

Nope. At this point Rand had just come of the mountain. She thinks he could be mad because by all reports he is! Nyn has not seen him post VoG. So a seeming mad man, one who by all accounts has been commiting increasingly dangerous acts shows up and says I'm going to break the seals and refuses to say why or plan and you expect anyone to realistically be ok with that? It goes against what every person in world thinks aside from A select few. Even much later when Nyn does know the truth she is still unsure of Rands course and concedes Eggy could be right. No we know that isn't correct but you need to look at this from an in world perspective, not a reader we know Jesus Rand will make everything ok despite not knowing how to seal the bore perspective.

You're right, this was right after the mountain.

On this point, I'll stick to my guns. I said the same about Mat and his treatment of Rand in the first few books as well, it's not how you treat a friend. I'll concede she may have had reservations, but her mentality in my mind was less He's crazy and more I can't let him do that, because I know best.

And since this is an opinion thread, I reserve the right to dislike who I wish fo rmy reasons, just as you have the right to have opinions about my opinions.

And since you seem to not wish to turn this into an Eggy hate thread, I won't list more examples of her behavior that I consider deplorable.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. At this point Rand had just come of the mountain. She thinks he could be mad because by all reports he is! Nyn has not seen him post VoG. So a seeming mad man, one who by all accounts has been commiting increasingly dangerous acts shows up and says I'm going to break the seals and refuses to say why or plan and you expect anyone to realistically be ok with that? It goes against what every person in world thinks aside from A select few. Even much later when Nyn does know the truth she is still unsure of Rands course and concedes Eggy could be right. No we know that isn't correct but you need to look at this from an in world perspective, not a reader we know Jesus Rand will make everything ok despite not knowing how to seal the bore perspective.

On this point, I'll stick to my guns. I said the same about Mat and his treatment of Rand in the first few books as well, it's not how you treat a friend. I'll concede she may have had reservations, but her mentality in my mind was less He's crazy and more I can't let him do that, because I know best.

And since this is an opinion thread, I reserve the right to dislike who I wish fo rmy reasons, just as you have the right to have opinions about my opinions.

And since you seem to not wish to turn this into an Eggy hate thread, I won't list more examples of her behavior that I consider deplorable.

You are totally correct and recall I said nothing of your opinions, just offered my own. As for other don't mind Kael. He is known for not being totally rational on this topic.

You are totally correct and recall I said nothing of your opinions, just offered my own. As for other don't mind Kael. He is known for not being totally rational on this topic.

Pahe 14 you did.

That being said, thank you for the informaiton, and from hence forth, I shall.

Pahe 14 you did.

At that point I tried to present a quote that was contradicting that particular statement. Honestly wasn't trying to make it seem as if your thoughts on Eggy weren't valid. Apologies if that's how it came across.

Pahe 14 you did.

At that point I tried to present a quote that was contradicting that particular statement. Honestly wasn't trying to make it seem as if your thoughts on Eggy weren't valid. Apologies if that's how it came across.

Understood.

Pahe 14 you did.

Understood.

Uhh, if he wants to FEEL like she made some social mistake and hate her for that, that's different. What I said was his examples of her backslide to what he describes as a stereotypical Aes Sedai were wrong. The seals episode is not at all an example of her pushing forward when proven wrong which was the claim he made. His whole premise that she's the "same old Aes Sedai we hate" is wrong.

Your view on her actions towards a "friend" are a different matter. It's grounded in a personal moral centre. I disagree on that too, but I won't say you're flat out wrong the way you were earlier. I personally don't think Egwene's feelings of a rather distant and strained friendship should trump her responsibility to the Tower and the world, particularly when there are very legitimate worries about Rand's plan, but again a personal thing.

Sorry for being TOTALLY unreasonable in wishing people's opinions, when based on factual premises, are actually accurate.

Pahe 14 you did.

Understood.

Uhh, if he wants to FEEL like she made some social mistake and hate her for that, that's different. What I said was his examples of her backslide to what he describes as a stereotypical Aes Sedai were wrong. The seals episode is not at all an example of her pushing forward when proven wrong which was the claim he made. His whole premise that she's the "same old Aes Sedai we hate" is wrong.

Your view on her actions towards a "friend" are a different matter. It's grounded in a personal moral centre. I disagree on that too, but I won't say you're flat out wrong the way you were earlier. I personally don't think Egwene's feelings of a rather distant and strained friendship should trump her responsibility to the Tower and the world, particularly when there are very legitimate worries about Rand's plan, but again a personal thing.

Sorry for being TOTALLY unreasonable in wishing people's opinions, when based on factual premises, are actually accurate.

Actually in my original post, I only offered opinion. I didn't offer any exact situaitons at all. You called me wrong there, saying she needed time, so even here it's personal opinion, I think she had enough time, you feel differently. I offered up two quick examples after you cited 2. You also then claimed you and Sutt had made NUMEROUS posts about it, at which point I asked you if you were talking to me or confusing me with someone else, which you still haven't answered.

And @ SuperFade, technically, it is directly on topic. We're discussing least favorite character, the title of the post.

Actually in my original post, I only offered opinion. I didn't offer any exact situaitons at all. You called me wrong there, saying she needed time, so even here it's personal opinion, I think she had enough time, you feel differently. I offered up two quick examples after you cited 2. You also then claimed you and Sutt had made NUMEROUS posts about it, at which point I asked you if you were talking to me or confusing me with someone else, which you still haven't answered.

I think you're mixing everything together. I'm not saying your dislike is factually incorrect. I'm saying that particular reason for hating her of, as you put it, "maintaining they know what's best even when they're proven wrong.", is wrong. And upon investigation, it was wrong. I was knocking a particularly wobbly leg out from under your argument.

As for your other reasons, huge hypocrite, arrogant, and such. Those are opinions, yes. But I suspect if we dove into those opinions, we'd likely find more erroneous premises and confirmation biases. But that's my opinion ;) I'm sure you don't want to do that, and I've probably already refuted those reasons in other threads anyway.

But I already admitted that something like how Egwene treated Rand is not really something you can evaluate that way. Things like that we could debate forever, but other opinions can be flat out wrong if they're based on the wrong information.

Example. The republican adds that show Obama's quote of "If you've started a business, you didn't build that!". Really bad sound bite, way out of context, but if you were only shown that snippet you'd likely build a strong negative opinion that is wrong. If I told you there was a broader context to that quote and you simply said, "well that's my opinion and i'm entitled to it." Well that is true, but devastatingly tragic.

What would be nice is if, in at least some of these threads, people didn't try to argue other people out of how they feel regarding liking or disliking certain characters. Not everything has to be justified, and not every justification given has to withstand the fullest level of scrutiny capable of being brought to bear against it. Honestly, these sorts of threads, "least favorite character," and "leeroy jenkins" and all these others are purely designed to cause fights and arguments between the readers and contributors to these forums. There's not gonna be universal agreement, and camps of like-minded people are gonna array themselves against camps of others who disagree, just as if there was a thread titled "favorite ice-cream flavors" or "most disgusting pizza toppings." It's a matter of purely subjective taste, and people's tastes differ. In fact, I would advise that nobody even bothers to justify their views on these kinds of threads, and certainly don't ask anybody else to justify their views, even, perhaps especially if you're puzzled or confused about how they could have 'em or just flat out disagree with 'em. csarmi and nolirion have the right idea about how to answer these threads, if they're even worth participating in at all.

And while I have deepest sympathy with the last argument offered by Kael in his last paragraph, this isn't an analogous situation to the Presidential election or the qualities of the candidates. Nobody's lives or livelihood's are in danger or threatened in any way by these kinds of misunderstandings. The only reason refusing to take the President's remarks in their full context is a tragedy is because doing so matters. This crap doesn't matter.

Example. The republican adds that show Obama's quote of "If you've started a business, you didn't build that!". Really bad sound bite, way out of context, but if you were only shown that snippet you'd likely build a strong negative opinion that is wrong. If I told you there was a broader context to that quote and you simply said, "well that's my opinion and i'm entitled to it." Well that is true, but devastatingly tragic.

Shall we start a thread?.........

Wait, so now you're accusing me of taking things out of context? While you continue to dodge my other claims about your being wrong. And while posting part of my quote in your post to prove yourself right? You're kidding right?

Don't post part of a quote, then accuse someone else of taking other things out of context, and have the nerve to call me a hypocrite in the same post. Amazing. Seems I'll have to go with Sutts assessment and refrain from debating with you, since you'll refuse to answer questions, use partial quotes, and irrational argumens all the while accusing me of those things.

On Topic

1. Elayne

She didn't use to bother me in earlier books, but after a few books of her whining about being pregnant... and....after her nearly getting captured (for what the 15th time?), everything about this character is annoying and retarded, the way she walks around with her nose in the air like shes invincible is just irritating, no wonder Birgitte wants to strangle her most of the time...

Many people hate Faile for her relationship with Perrin, but i find Elayne so frustrating and annoying that it actually has made me like the Perrin Faile relationship, at least Faile can be a bad ass when she needs to be.

But he doesn't no what he's doing, he has admitted as much an is hoping Min finds the answers for him.

As for Eggy she did ask him and implored him to plan. At that point Rand refused and gave a flippant response. He antagonized her on purpose and it is Egwenes duty to question a seemingly mad act until it is explained.

He does know he has to remove the old. That's not exactly not knowing what he's doing. He wants Min to find the why for him, but he knows what needs to be done with the current seals.

I'll admit he wanted her to react the way that she did, to get the world leaders together. However to believe that something is Mad just because you can't instantly figure it out goes far towards pointing out my opinion of her. While Rand doesn't know everything, he knows a hell of a lot more than Eggy, she should understand that on a basic level at least.

Ny has returned by this time correct? So she knows he's no longer mad. Why the hell was he still shielded anyway? He's a friend, the Dragon Reborn (Fated to save the world) and she admits he could have broken through if he wanted. At that point, what's the point of keeping him shielded? (Another gripe with her).

But he doesn't no what he's doing, he has admitted as much an is hoping Min finds the answers for him.

As for Eggy she did ask him and implored him to plan. At that point Rand refused and gave a flippant response. He antagonized her on purpose and it is Egwenes duty to question a seemingly mad act until it is explained.

He does know he has to remove the old. That's not exactly not knowing what he's doing. He wants Min to find the why for him, but he knows what needs to be done with the current seals.

I'll admit he wanted her to react the way that she did, to get the world leaders together. However to believe that something is Mad just because you can't instantly figure it out goes far towards pointing out my opinion of her. While Rand doesn't know everything, he knows a hell of a lot more than Eggy, she should understand that on a basic level at least.

Ny has returned by this time correct? So she knows he's no longer mad. Why the hell was he still shielded anyway? He's a friend, the Dragon Reborn (Fated to save the world) and she admits he could have broken through if he wanted. At that point, what's the point of keeping him shielded? (Another gripe with her).

just a minor correction, Nyn was not there and next when she saw eggy she had met zen rand if you want i can give you quotes too lol

Many people hate Faile for her relationship with Perrin, but i find Elayne so frustrating and annoying that it actually has made me like the Perrin Faile relationship, at least Faile can be a bad ass when she needs to be.

At least Faile can be bad ass? What would you call saving the entire world by fixing te weather, unifiting Andor etc. They are operating slightly different levels.

ust a minor correction, Nyn was not there and next when she saw eggy she had met zen rand if you want i can give you quotes too lol

Where you responding to me or Vard? That is exactly what I said Nyn wasn't there but even much later in ToM after she has spent time around Zen Rand she still concedes Eggy could be right.

And @ SuperFade, technically, it is directly on topic. We're discussing least favorite character, the title of the post.

And the subtitle of the topic explicitly excludes Egwene / Faile from the discussion, specifically because they are always brought up and always result in a derail. Such as this one, which is devolving into yet another tired discussion over whether Egwene was justified in opposing Rand.

And the subtitle of the topic explicitly excludes Egwene / Faile from the discussion, specifically because they are always brought up and always result in a derail. Such as this one, which is devolving into yet another tired discussion over whether Egwene was justified in opposing Rand.

Subtitle?

Did I miss that? The Original Post doesn't have anything about that on it, (Unless I have something turned off and I can't see "subtitles")

At least Faile can be bad ass? What would you call saving the entire world by fixing te weather, unifiting Andor etc. They are operating slightly different levels.

Faile does have her badass moments, although because of my personal bias they seem all petty to me. As in, sure she did something amazing, only because she butted in because she thought she knew better.

I do understand Elayne hate, she comes off pretty stupid at times, but I just think she's hilarious. I'll also admit I give her far too much leeway in my mind because I expect nobility to act a certain way, and since she's much better than most,I give her bonus points.

Subtitle?

Did I miss that? The Original Post doesn't have anything about that on it, (Unless I have something turned off and I can't see "subtitles")

The topic should read "Least Favorite Character", with "Not just Faile or Egwene, guys!" underneath it.

Subtitle?

The topic should read "Least Favorite Character", with "Not just Faile or Egwene, guys!" underneath it.

Subtitle?

What setting is that then? I don't see that at all.

NM, it's on the main page not once I click it.

Regardless, Eggy wasn't who I listed, I was defending my right to dislike her based on non-sexist reasonings.

ok guys give me a couple of days and I'll start a comprehensive thread on eggy dearest it seems that I have some time on my hand be ready to be disabused of some of the notions

I'll get my quotes together this weekend while fishing.

ok guys give me a couple of days and I'll start a comprehensive thread on eggy dearest it seems that I have some time on my hand be ready to be disabused of some of the notions

Again I ask, why would you feel the need to start one? Eggy/AS hate threads are just about the single most prevalent topic there is. You can choose to revive any number of old ones and that way people can cite what has come before.

Archived