DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

I dislike characters at certain points in the story. But I tend to like them all on a whole.

Ex. I really don't like Moiraine in the beginning (boy, everyone's gonna hate on me now...). Of course I grew to love her by about book 4, but she doesn't handle Rand even close to right until after book three. Though I think her ability to reexamine her strategy makes her the coolest AS ever.

I will say though, that I actually really like both Gawyn and Egwene. Through all the books. They have all their struggles and they make really, really, really stupid choices, and they act off of half-information and don't really think at all times, but they are some of the coolest characters in WoT to me. They're so human it hurts.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dislike characters at certain points in the story. But I tend to like them all on a whole.

Ex. I really don't like Moiraine in the beginning (boy, everyone's gonna hate on me now...). Of course I grew to love her by about book 4, but she doesn't handle Rand even close to right until after book three. Though I think her ability to reexamine her strategy makes her the coolest AS ever.

I will say though, that I actually really like both Gawyn and Egwene. Through all the books. They have all their struggles and they make really, really, really stupid choices, and they act off of half-information and don't really think at all times, but they are some of the coolest characters in WoT to me. They're so human it hurts.

Egwene, really? Not that you like her, but for that reason? She never appeared to me in that light. If there's anyone who fits that bill it's Nynaeve I would say. RJ must have thrown himself away with laughter with every POV he wrote for her in between TDR and TPOD, she's like the queen of hypocrisy in those books. If blindness to one's own faults makes one human there's no topping her.

Egwene, really? Not that you like her, but for that reason? She never appeared to me in that light. If there's anyone who fits that bill it's Nynaeve I would say. RJ must have thrown himself away with laughter with every POV he wrote for her in between TDR and TPOD, she's like the queen of hypocrisy in those books. If blindness to one's own faults makes one human there's no topping her.

That was unbelievably over the top for me. She would directly contradict what she just said. Also I have some small disconnects with Nynaeve in other areas, like I don't really like healing people, nor do I think it's overly important. It's impressive, but that's not something that naturally interests me in any way.

Egwene and Gawyn get shaped by what's around them constantly. They are forced to make incredibly difficult decisions. It's really easy as the reader to take the information we have and then get very frustrated that Gawyn and Egwene make uninformed decisions. And when a character makes a decision people don't like, they immediately dislike the character. That's really what I mean by them being very human. They make the wrong decision for decent reasons. Maybe not good reasons, but not bad ones either. They act on the information they have, and generally stick to those decisions. Personally I connect with that. If you want me to go more in depth on this, I can. Gawyn's support of Elaida is a pretty good example of this, but I'll only go through it if someone requests it.

I guess when you get down to it that's more the reason I like Gawyn. With Egwene I just love the story arc and seeing the changes she goes through. She goes from a dream-filled emond's fielder that is amazed by the world to the most powerful woman in the world. And she does a fantastic job as Amyrlin. Her POVs were by far the most exciting to me in books 9-11. In the end she's an intellectually smart and willful person who acts from the heart, which is very similar to what I am in real life, which just makes me identify with her more.

Merise. I can't recall a single instant she's appeared in the story that hasn't made me want to slap her, or at least pull her hair. She's either a) being rude for no reason, b) annoying with her complaining (seriously, until you're in the Dragon's shoes you can stfu), or c) treating Narishma like a slave (er Tuon treats her damane with more kindness, when she doesn't beat them. I wouldn't be surprised if Merise did start beating Narish, specially with the whipping fascination in the series). I wish Merise and Narishma were dead in place of Eben and Diagain.

Samitsu. Initially she impressed me with her passion for healing, but her POV in CoT's prologue was just so. damn. painful. Seriously, Dobraine is dying, possibly dead, and all she can freaking think about is having to follow a lesser AS. Lesser of course by AS' insipid notions of superiority. The fact that she can't stop being a superficial twit for half an hour makes her useless and stupid. Yeah, we get it, you're forced to trail after another AS. Big deal, seriously....

Egwene could've been a great character if her ascendency from farm girl to super-Amyrlin wasn't so hard on my suspension of disbelief. I generally like cold manipulators, love them more like, but I can't take Egwene seriously as one. This is the same girl who couldn't comprehend the reasoning behind Rand's public persona, even after Elayne explained things to her. She was never shrewdly perceptive enough to evolve into a clever player capable of outmaneuvering experienced AS.The only things to come out of her power surge was making the rest of AS out as a bunch of idiots. And I suppose someone had to fill the Mary Sue quota.

Gawyn x 1mill. Taking into account that he's a giant mess still doesn't explain away his actions. I can't forgive him for killing his mentors, nor do I believe there is reason to believe he is right in the head. He's an idiot and a horrible, cold person besides. Those things are never good in combination. That said, if he does end up killing Rand (not assisted suicide, thanks) I would accept him as a decent villain.

Valda and bornhald jr. and Byar. They're the more boring villains in the series, aggrivating and bland. That could be said for pretty much any member of CoL save for Galad and Pedron Niall. Galad because I find him intriguing for his relationship to Elayne and the underlying dynamics of their relationship with Morgase. Pedron Niall because I found his views/beliefs on the Last Battle interesting. Honestly, his take on the events made more sense that AS' in many ways. I could see why one wouldn't believe the DR since the Creator remains a passive player. All the others however are a waste of space.

Tinkers. I wouldn't have a problem with them if characters like Perrin didn't keep putting them on a pedestal. Sure, they're brave. But I'd appreciate it if more characters challenged their philosophy and stand in times such as theirs.

I must say I'm not terribly fond of Cadsuane. I mean, even after rand starts showing her respect (which she never really earned until she saves him) she still treats him like trash. Out of all the really willful women (cadsuane, sorelia, and alise of the kin) cadsuane seems the most annoying.

@driedrasberry i agree with merise, but that may be because she follows Cadsuane around. Maybe shes just picking up the bad habits. Ido like samitsu though, not really sure. Maybe because her full name, Samitsu Tamagowa, is super Japanese and is sweet

I must say I'm not terribly fond of Cadsuane. I mean, even after rand starts showing her respect (which she never really earned until she saves him) she still treats him like trash. Out of all the really willful women (cadsuane, sorelia, and alise of the kin) cadsuane seems the most annoying.

Like her nor not she has had Rand's back harder than just about anyone else in the series. You do realize her treatment of him was all part of a master plan for him and the world to get past TG correct? She saved his life multiple times, she rescued him from being held and sent back to Elaida, she didn't blink when he decided to risk the world and and trusted him entirely in coming up with a masterful defense holding off all the Forsaken which allowed the cleansing to finish. She vowed to do what was best for him in and the world, not herself or the WT. Finally even though it took a lucky twist at the end her plan most likely saved the world from certain destruction leading to Rand's ephiphany. Not sure why fans skip all of that and go with "but she was mean to the DR!!!"

WH

Cadsuane drew a deep breath. She had promised the boy that whatever she did would be for his good, not the good of the Tower or anyone else's, and now she had broken a good woman for his good. "I am very sorry, Aleis," she said. You are building up a large account already, boy, she thought.

@driedrasberry i agree with merise, but that may be because she follows Cadsuane around. Maybe shes just picking up the bad habits. Ido like samitsu though, not really sure. Maybe because her full name, Samitsu Tamagowa, is super Japanese and is sweet

lol I think that's a possibility. Although, Rand does accept Cads with all her faults, but with Merise it's like who are you again?

Like her nor not she has had Rand's back harder than just about anyone else in the series. You do realize her treatment of him was all part of a master plan for him and the world to get past TG correct? She saved his life multiple times, she rescued him from being held and sent back to Elaida, she didn't blink when he decided to risk the world and and trusted him entirely in coming up with a masterful defense holding off all the Forsaken which allowed the cleansing to finish. She vowed to do what was best for him in and the world, not herself or the WT. Finally even though it took a lucky twist at the end her plan most likely saved the world from certain destruction leading to Rand's ephiphany. Not sure why fans skip all of that and go with "but she was mean to the DR!!!"

probably because first impressions go a long way. By the time she showed her mettle she had already brought up a lot of the readers against her. She's one of the few Aes Sedai who truly deserve that name in the series because she isn't caught up in childish power games all the time or tries her hand at oblique manipulations.

WH

Cadsuane drew a deep breath. She had promised the boy that whatever she did would be for his good, not the good of the Tower or anyone else's, and now she had broken a good woman for his good. "I am very sorry, Aleis," she said. You are building up a large account already, boy, she thought.

don't get your panties in a twist. not liking cads, in a way like what you just quoted, in no way removes or denies that. she could have done everything you just mentioned and more but could still treat rand poorly and be annoying.

WH

don't get your panties in a twist. not liking cads, in a way like what you just quoted, in no way removes or denies that. she could have done everything you just mentioned and more but could still treat rand poorly and be annoying.

Which of course is utterly missing the point that it is funny to focus on the fact that she was a big meanie to Rand as opposed to all the good she ahs done. Panties in a twist is actually a great call for fanbois who think she didn't treat Rand well. What it doesn't do is describe someone rationally pointing out her actions and the flaw in focusing on the least important part of her character.

It is interesting how whenever anyone says how much they dislike Cadsuane / Egwene / the Aes Sedai / The White Tower, regardless of the context, Suttree always steps in to say "Nu-uh, you're wrong for x, y and z reasons and here's a quote that proves it." I'm getting Kael flashbacks.

It is interesting how whenever anyone says how much they dislike Cadsuane / Egwene / the Aes Sedai / The White Tower, regardless of the context, Suttree always steps in to say "Nu-uh, you're wrong for x, y and z reasons and here's a quote that proves it." I'm getting Kael flashbacks.

That my friend is a low blow :wink:

The post above concerning Cads is a valid question. As for the oher categories you well know I often counter hyperbole wherever I see it regardless of topic and Eggy isn't even in my top 5 characters.

My problem with a lot of the AS is that you're just reading a know-it-alls point of view. It's boring and annoying, imo. Elayne has more depth, the Wise Ones have more depth and are more entertaining (IMO), nynaeve has more depth, etc. Personally, that's my main problem with Eg and Cad.

WH

Which of course is utterly missing the point that it is funny to focus on the fact that she was a big meanie to Rand as opposed to all the good she ahs done. Panties in a twist is actually a great call for fanbois who think she didn't treat Rand well. What it doesn't do is describe someone rationally pointing out her actions and the flaw in focusing on the least important part of her character.

there is always something about person A that will bother person B. that thing can be big enough to make B completely dislike A regardless of how many great deeds person A may have done. that is a perfectly legitimate opinion as long as they do not discount those actions. the person above did not discount her actions so i saw no reason for you to jump in with the reasons you did. they were not necessary

My problem with a lot of the AS is that you're just reading a know-it-alls point of view. It's boring and annoying, imo. Elayne has more depth, the Wise Ones have more depth and are more entertaining (IMO), nynaeve has more depth, etc. Personally, that's my main problem with Eg and Cad.

Eggy is the absolute worst in that regard. She's been a know-it-all before knowing a darn thing.

WH

there is always something about person A that will bother person B. that thing can be big enough to make B completely dislike A regardless of how many great deeds person A may have done. that is a perfectly legitimate opinion as long as they do not discount those actions. the person above did not discount her actions so i saw no reason for you to jump in with the reasons you did. they were not necessary

Saying she never earned his respect until the end or treats him like trash isn't discounting those actions?

Finally as I have asked you before please stop ascribing motivations or trying define whether my posts are or are not necesarry. Neither are up to you to decide and I thank you for sticking to the books and story instead of focusing on me. I took the higher ground the other day when you followed me around through various threads with unprovoked personnel attacks. I hope this is the last time I need to make this request.

Eggy is the absolute worst in that regard. She's been a know-it-all before knowing a darn thing.

I agree. I mentioned in another thread that I was pleasantly surprised on a my current reread when I got to the part of the story where she's called before the little tower and has to leave the Wise Ones. She fesses up and takes her toh like a man. It was the first time I really liked her and her pov. She doesn't always bother me either, but I rarely look forward to her pov.

I think people calling out Rand fanboys need to consider the flip-side as well - that they may be Cadsuane fanboys. I don't think anyone denies that Cadsuane has done a lot of good; however, she's done a lot of damage as well, which is more difficult to ascribe actual consequences to. It's easy to say she was instrumental in saving his life. But if she hadn't felt the need to slap him across the face for using a weave she disagreed with (instead of discussing it like an adult), would he have been surprised by Fain in the first place?

As b3arz3rg3r points out, first impressions are important. She strides into the room, a typical arrogant Aes Sedai bulling into a situation and attempting to take control, baits Rand and condescendingly calls him a "good boy" - what for? Aren't there more diplomatic/efficient ways of going about helping someone than pissing them off for no reason? Rand is a stubborn ass almost constantly, but so much of her behavior is unprovoked. Again it's hard to ascribe consequences because there are so many variables, but you could make a strong argument that she is a burr under Rand's saddle that aids in driving him down a path which leads to him nearly destroying the world.

Her treatment of Atha'an Miere is awesome though. They are incredibly obnoxious and deserve Cadsuane's brand of unwarranted superiority complex.

I think people calling out Rand fanboys need to consider the flip-side as well - that they may be Cadsuane fanboys. I don't think anyone denies that Cadsuane has done a lot of good; however, she's done a lot of damage as well, which is more difficult to ascribe actual consequences to. It's easy to say she was instrumental in saving his life. But if she hadn't felt the need to slap him across the face for using a weave she disagreed with (instead of discussing it like an adult), would he have been surprised by Fain in the first place?

Was referring to the cleansing and being captured in Far Madding. The fog is another great example of her doing so however.

Again I made it very clear that this has nothing to do with character preference. I just find it funny people would focus on her being arrogant and mean (especially considering we know how she treated him was a very specific plan) as opposed to how unerringly she supports him(more so than anyone besides except for Min perhaps) and the multiple times she has saved him so he can even reach TG.

Was referring to the cleansing and being captured in Far Madding. The fog is another great example of her doing so however.

Again I made it very clear that this has nothing to do with character preference. I just find it funny people would focus on her being arrogant and mean (especially considering we know how she treated him was a very specific plan) as opposed to how unerringly she supports him(more so than anyone besides except for Min perhaps) and the multiple times she has saved him so he can even reach TG.

Well, I think one way of looking at it is a clinical view - she saved him. The other is more of an emotional response - she annoys the crap out of me.

I do agree with Shen's questioning: why did she need to come off that way on their first meeting? That sort of display of personality is exactly what pushed him into being a closed off stubborn guy in the first place.

WH

Saying she never earned his respect until the end or treats him like trash isn't discounting those actions?

Finally as I have asked you before please stop ascribing motivations or trying define whether my posts are or are not necesarry. Neither are up to you to decide and I thank you for sticking to the books and story instead of focusing on me. I took the higher ground the other day when you followed me around through various threads with unprovoked personnel attacks. I hope this is the last time I need to make this request.

just so you know, i had the whole post posted before i realized i was responding to you. everyone is entitled to their opinion, so why should someone not only say another person's opinion is wrong, but seem to get bent out of shape over it as well

]just so you know, i had the whole post posted before i realized i was responding to you. everyone is entitled to their opinion, so why should someone not only say another person's opinion is wrong, but seem to get bent out of shape over it as well

I did neither. I asked why someone would focus on that as opposed to all her more meaningful actions. Not sure what you are perceiving but I never got bent out of shape in the slightest or said anyone was wrong. That was you when you claimed my comments were unnecessary.

There seems to be a consistent disconnect in how you read my meaning. That has been the case since you first started jumping in to comment on my responses to others as opposed to the topic at hand about a month or so back.

The one thing i like the most about Cadsuane is how little she cares for standing as the white tower sees it.

The best instance of this is when she understands that Sorilea is just as willful and has the same goals as her. Instead of being superior because she can channel more powerfully, she respects and listens to Sorilea eventually working with her to save the world from a rand that did not laugh or cry.

Any other Aes Sedai besides Egwene would have teied to degrade Sorilea because she is weak in the one power

Geez i come back one dy later and everyones going off in a Cads argument haha. Maybe i should better state my opinion to "as an AS, Cads totally kicks @ss. She does what she needs to, and in general is what an AS should aspire to be. As a person, however, shes kinda like that one chick who we have to keep around, but no one really wants to talk to cuz shes crazy"

Archived