DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

Perrin and Elayne, for consuming so many pages in middle books, and drawing attention from more worthy characters like Rand, Egwene, Mat, and Nynaeve. Perrin should've gone out in a blaze of glory in TSR, and Elayne died to the gholam in ACoS.

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! Perrin is not a fr*cking main charactor. What book are you talking about?!?!?!?!?

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to hate the "minor" characters less, as we see a lot less of them, and there's plenty I love to hate. I think the ones I dislike are:

Gawyn and Egwene (surprise, surprise). Seriously. The whole section of ToM that consisted of these two arguing about how the other was disrespecting them was some of the most teeth-grittingly irritating stuff in the series, and the fact that this was one of Gawyn's high points, compared to how he ends up (going "Oh, I was so wrong to ever disagree with you and suggest you were wrong. Even though, you know, you WERE, and now I'm lying here dying on a carpet as a result of your arrogance because you didn't want your lover disagreeing with you.") says a lot. Their pairing makes no sense to me, its like "Ah, well, suddenly Egwene and Gawyn are in love now". Very much like pair-the-spare. We have, as mentioned above, Gawyn taking several nonsensical actions throughout the series, we have Egwene refusing to ever be wrong, not to mention every other reason I've given why I dislike her. And, of course, both of them, despite being childish, irritating and arrogant have to be written to be great at everything. Urgh. What a couple ><

"Hard Rand". There are no ways for how much this annoyed me. I mean, don't get me wrong, I really liked it as a storytelling device- having the lead character, the saviour of this world, slowly going from the traditional wide-eyed farm boy to a world ruler, being slowly driven insane, hated by all, and becoming increasingly tyrannical, and emotionless. But "Hard Rand"'s POV irritated me so very much- must not kill/ cause death of/ be anywhere nearby or connected to anything where a woman dies. Must not laugh or cry, because these are signs of weakness. It was almost a relief when he turned into Dark Rand in TGS and started killing women again, at least that was less illogical than letting himself and his allies get killed. So for that- yeah, nice one Semirhage :D And before anyone starts, yes, I know that it was the insanity, I know that men in the Two Rivers all seem to share a lesser extent of that chivalry, and yes, I know that population growth is more affected by large numbers of women dying than large numbers of men, before everyone starts up with that. It still annoys me. Despite that I really like Hard Rand as a storytelling device.

Lan is someone I'm generally indifferent to, but his determination to suicide charge into the Blight irks me.

Masema- loved the scene where he finally got finished off.

Berelain annoys me... she's growing on me, though.

I laughed

When did cadsuane ever spank Rand? ........I dont think she did...

She did. Once. I want to say it happened off screen, but she brings it up a few times. (I may have the off screen portion wrong, but she does mention it afterwards)

Aside from the fact that it does nothing to address the overarching issues of what it would mean for TG(which is what Cads introduced) it also doens't speak to the lack of any plan from Min which was the orginal point. Again the Nyn comment to Min about Cads beeing "right" is rather telling.

As an aside I would be interested to see what quotes you are referring to. IIRC it was around ACoS that the hardness really started to become an issue. Specifically TPoD is the book that things really started going south with his ego and temperment.

I'm actually just discrediting your idea that Min got the Rand is too hard idea from Cads. She may not have had a specific plan, but she knew he was getting too hard and that it was bad, she knew something had to be done, like Ny, she reached that conclusion on her own. That being said, even Cad's plan would have failed without Ny, and did Cads give her credit? Nope, she treated her like a child while Ny bent her pride for the fate of the world.

I stopped my reread at book 5, broke into a Way of Kings and the Mistborn series so I wouldn't finsih the books too far away from the release date. I'll pick em back in in Oct or something, maybe Nov, but I'll search for quotes this weekend, I probably won't have time today.

Also joined Theoryland, I will expand upon my "Dark Rand" better known as Rational Rand really saved the world and without him no one would have made it to TG idea. I stand by it.

Mat. So far in my reading, my least favourite character (if Egwene isn't allowed) is Mat.

He just... gets on my nerves. I don't despise him. He just irks me now and then

How far are you? In my opinion, Mat gets more awesome as you continue through the books.

Exactly,. It's frustrating because I was like "Wow, I like Mat NOW, I can only imagine how awesome he's gonna be in book 3, when OTHER people started loving him ^__^"

Then... (sadface)

I like him when I'm NOT inside his head. He's like Tyrion in A Song Of Ice And Fire. His thought process gets on my nerves, but I don't mind looking at how other characters see him. If that makes sense?

Archived