DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like Padan Fain. I find him disgusting and annoying. I also don't like Loial. He seems kind of like an 'extra' to me. Not much help to anybody, just tag along with everybody.
oh please. padan fain is only worthwhile villain in this entire series. not the forsaken, not the worthless dark one, not certainly not dark friends either.

Really? Don't you find that Fain can be a bit insane? I prefer Moridin to him.

Any man who bullies women is a pussy. Fain better smack that punk up with his dagger

So, I will start with some of the main characters that annoy me.

Gawyn: I know that the whole "he didn't know about Morgase" thing is valid realistically, but it just irritated me how obviously wrong he was, and I had to endure pages of totally baseless (in the end) and vague hatred of the main character.

Egwene: No, I do not hate her. She just irritates me from time to time with some of the crap she comes out with, and the rest of the characters think it is brilliant, or otherwise overlook the faults, while poor old Rand is abused and hated by everyone. The double standards just annoyed me.

Galina: Don't get me wrong, I love me some evil characters, but Galina is just a vindictive chauvinistic b**** who serves no other point than to piss everyone off. (the forsaken, at least, crave something or hate Rand, and Elaida thought she was doing good things, but Galina is just stupid and evil for the sake of it)

Alanna: The whole mind-rape thing is very understated, if the sexes had been reversed (I do not include the AS bonded to AM, because they deserved it and were arrogant and annoying anyway) but if "Rand" was a young 20 year old woman, and "Alanna" was a 40 year old man (which Alanna is around this age, remember), the reaction would be outrage and female readers would burn the pages with their hate. IF this is the case, then it either should be no different from this case, or admit that women are less capable (granting the concession that males can deal with it better)

But since it is Rand and Alanna, it isn't that bad. Having said that, There may be, as people have mentioned, other circumstances which complicate matters (such as Verin compelling her to, or being used by BA), and when that is revealed, I will be sympathetic, but from what has been seen of the bond and their relationship, I think she gets everything she deserves.

Faile is an easy one for me. She is so frustrating towards Perrin through out the whole series, and her jealousy of Berelain and Perrin in LoC even though he didn't really do anything was annoying to read. Not a huge fan of her overall attitude and character throughout the books.

The Forsaken as a whole are my least favorite character (as little sense as that makes) They could spend their time working together to achieve their goal and backstab eachother when they've got Rand unconcious and shielded with a gateway to Shayol Ghul five steps away, but no; their infighting makes them impotent as badguys that get picked off one by one. (as singular characters they're all cool, I have to say I like every character in this series)

Also Elaida, her entire character just baffles me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Fremenking

I got to WoT after seeing Game of Thrones, reading all of ASOIAF, rediscovering my middle school fantasy nerd, googleing best fantasy series, and the rest is history. It's been about a year since I got the TEofW audiobook, and I'm halfway through my 7thish reread (I guess relisten) of the series and I absolutely love the world he created, and love almost every thing he did in it, but finally I had to know if anyone else couldn't stand Egwene either. My suspicions seem validated. I don't want to just rehash everyone else's "god she's dumb" stance, so I'll try to explain it to the three people on the planet who dont get all the Egwene hating. The only person who comes close to the disgusting mix of superiority/judgemental/condemnation complex she is afflicted with is Nyneve, but Nyneve was more of a moral thing, Mat drinking and chasing women, Elayne hitting on her kinda stepdad that used to sex up her mother, and that got pretty much cleared up once she got a little Lan in her. Egwene, from chapter three of the first book on, consistently thinks she knows everything, even things she hasn't/couldn't have the slightest bit of wisdom/knowledge on. I wonder if RJ had written AWoT as a true fantasy series, and not a young adult one, and had taken most authors route of 3 or 4 years or longer to write each book, if men/women roles/interactions and character development would have been different, and Egwene could have evolved from a young girl eager to learn, to anything other than the overwhelming annoying cuntinual source of wanting to put the book/iPod down that she is. She thinks Rand is an arrogant jerk because he is now the DR (which he never wanted) and how he handles nobles when she is a 16? y/o cuntry bumpkin? Does she know anything about the peerage system and how big a difference there is between the peasantry/nobility, especially to nobles? Yet how does she act when she's Amyrlin? Being a twat to Nyneve in TAR because she is just trying to cover up her own shame? Repeatedly treating a people who embody the word honor (Aiel) honorlessly and her only concern is being caught and cant learn more which is what she wants to do? I have never posted before and dont know if there is a character limit so I wont go chapter by chapter and point out every flaming time she cuntinually acts like an ignorant stuck up shittake mushroom, it would probably be as long as one of RJ's novels, but she's one of three things I'd like to skip over when reading, but unlike P&F on the Prophet quest and Elayne's succession, I cant because SHES IN LIKE HALF OF THE PAGES. Character flaws are a huge part of writing and I get that, I'm cool with Perrin being incredibly dry, all he wanted was to be a blacksmith, he cant, so all he wants is his woman, Cadsuane's arrogance, you cant be AS for 300 years, spank 7 monarchs and an Amyrlin and be the strongest AS in a millennium until 3 or 4 years ago and not be arrogant, Gawyn getting further and further lost and unstable, all of that I get, and all those characters grow. Egwene grows in the power and the game of houses, but is still a little 15 year old shit from nowhere, except now with a rainbow scarf. And her and Gawyn feels incredibly forced and rushed, probably the only time RJ/BS regret Prophecy/Dreaming foreshadowing. The only other people that annoy me are SeaFolk, thought they'd be cool when we first meet them, but every time after that it's just tedious, Sevanna, nuff said, and Alanna. The whole rape/ attempted compulsion of the DR is pretty lame, but by the end of the series Rand is cool with her so I am too, but whenever that scene comes up again on rereads it kinda sets me off. Tuon is the ish. Sorry for the length, if/when I ever post again I'll try to limit it to no more than 2000 words ;) and January cant get here fast enough

ok frmenking welcome to the club.I have been butting my head against these walls for years without any success.You are welcome to try to put some sense where there is none. I have almost given up. lol i

Lol ... Don't worry! You'll come around and stop hating Egwene by the end of AMoL!

ok frmenking welcome to the club.I have been butting my head against these walls for years without any success.You are welcome to try to put some sense where there is none. I have almost given up. lol i

Lol ... Don't worry! You'll come around and stop hating Egwene by the end of AMoL!

It's kind of funny that mudd of all people would comment on "sense". I don't think I have ever seen him offer an actual quote from the text in support of his rather extreme views on this topic and other posters frequently disprove his notions. When that happens he just has a tendency to not respond or jump off on some strange tangent that has no connection to what was originally being discussed. If that is trying to "put some sense" I am pretty happy that we here at DM apparently have none.

Least favorite character has to be Nynaeve. I was hoping she would get cooler after she started getting laid (man did that girl need it bad), but no. She even managed to make the Lan/Malkier homecoming thing a huge hassle.

Gawyn<Elanye<Galad

Gawyn I detest because of the youngling plotline.. He completely abandoned his mentors and has no loyalty to the things he should have loyalty to..

Elanye because of her high and mighty attitude especially toward Mat and Rand though she is smarter than her brother

Galad I don't like for the obvious reason for only doing the "right" thing but out of the three, he seems the most open to pure reason when it comes to what is the right thing. Gawyn and Elanye don't care about any other opinion other than their own..

Alright, just for the sake of it, i'm gonna go Rand.

let's face it his whole the AS are evil witches got morraine killed (Mat gets some credit).

then there is the whole lets put women on a pedistal and insist that they can't do for themselves and give myself a complext about the woman who choose to dedicate their lives to seeing me defeat the DO.

the black tower.

spending so much time making my self like the people i despise.

some damn arse crazy paranoia.

Dark Rand was not our friend, boy that was a lost oportunity with tuon, could have saved the WT an attack.

though admitedly he is well on the path to redemption.

It's kind of funny that mudd of all people would comment on "sense". I don't think I have ever seen him offer an actual quote from the text in support of his rather extreme views on this topic and other posters frequently disprove his notions. When that happens he just has a tendency to not respond or jump off on some strange tangent that has no connection to what was originally being discussed. If that is trying to "put some sense" I am pretty happy that we here at DM apparently have none.

Sutt that is not fair I have proved you and others wrong on more than one occasion as for quotes it has nothing to do with anything but my laziness it is too much work. you want me to start another thread with quotes Just let me be free for a while and I'll give you al the quotes you want. lol @ Theodril I have never said that I hate eggy but she is stupid and stupidity always irritates me there is a diffrnc between being irritated and hating

Sutt that is not fair I have proved you and others wrong on more than one occasion as for quotes it has nothing to do with anything but my laziness it is too much work. you want me to start another thread with quotes Just let me be free for a while and I'll give you al the quotes you want.

You'll have to refresh us because as I said on this topic I don't recall that happening. I find it even less likely considering you admit flat out you are too lazy to provide quotes so your already far out views when unsupported by the text are often skewed by faulty memory or bias. I do enjoy our conversations however and look forward to you posting in one of the existing threads with quotes.

Sutt that is not fair I have proved you and others wrong on more than one occasion as for quotes it has nothing to do with anything but my laziness it is too much work. you want me to start another thread with quotes Just let me be free for a while and I'll give you al the quotes you want. lol @ Theodril I have never said that I hate eggy but she is stupid and stupidity always irritates me there is a diffrnc between being irritated and hating

Another Lol ... One of the main anti-Egwene arguments is that she is too Mary Sue with everyone around her suffering from stupidity spells, making her look like a genius. But your statement, Muddasssir, is the opposite of that!

By the end of AMoL, you "might" find Egwene less irritating :wink: .

Another Lol ... One of the main anti-Egwene arguments is that she is too Mary Sue with everyone around her suffering from stupidity spells, making her look like a genius. But your statement, Muddasssir, is the opposite of that!

By the end of AMoL, you "might" find Egwene less irritating .

how bout this one?

"What motion are we standing for?"

"An important one," Saerin said.

"well, I suppose I'll stand for it, then." (Doesine)

"As will I" Yukiri said.

"The lesser consensus is given, it seems," Saerin said. ...

"No!" Saroiya said, slimbing to her feet. "Don't you see? He is a king!... You'ver just given the Amyrlin sole responsibility for dealing with the Dragon Reborn!"

you can't tell me that doesn't show mary sueness, that two sitters would walk into a meeting and automatically vote in favour of what she wanted, barely giving her the lesser consensus

how bout this one?

"As will I" Yukiri said.

"No!" Saroiya said, slimbing to her feet. "Don't you see? He is a king!... You'ver just given the Amyrlin sole responsibility for dealing with the Dragon Reborn!"

you can't tell me that doesn't show mary sueness, that two sitters would walk into a meeting and automatically vote in favour of what she wanted, barely giving her the lesser consensus

I always read that as a set up from the start. The two sitters knew ahead of time and supported Egwene in this. Especially given the next line...

ToM

"I suppose someone should ask for the greater consensus," Saerin said dryly. "But you've managed to hang yourselves quite efficiently with the lesser rope already."

The writing is pretty bad however, don't think RJ ever would have done things that way.

how bout this one?

"As will I" Yukiri said.

I always read that as a set up from the start. The sitters knew ahead of time and supported Egwene in this. Especially given the next line...

ToM

"I suppose someone should ask for the greater consensus," Saerin said dryly. "But you've managed to hang yourselves quite efficiently with the lesser rope already."

The writing is pretty bad however, don't think RJ ever would have done things that way.

it seems I forgot a line

"Suddenly, her eyes went wide, and she opened her mouth to speak." referring to Saroiya.

even if it is a set up, the following lines surely show that Romanda, Saerin and others didn't want this. Also since it was a secret meeting, it would have contained the bare minimum of sitters, and most likely the least amount of egwene supporters as possible. So everything working out perfectly to Egwenes plans does seem very mary sue-like

how bout this one?

"As will I" Yukiri said.

I always read that as a set up from the start. The sitters knew ahead of time and supported Egwene in this. Especially given the next line...

ToM

it seems I forgot a line

"Suddenly, her eyes went wide, and she opened her mouth to speak." referring to Saroiya.

even if it is a set up, the following lines surely show that Romanda, Saerin and others didn't want this. Also since it was a secret meeting, it would have contained the bare minimum of sitters, and most likely the least amount of egwene supporters as possible. So everything working out perfectly to Egwenes plans does seem very mary sue-like

Yeah I have seen both sides argued. But I was speaking of Saerin and Yukiri. Not sure what the quote about Saroiya who was in the room already has to do with that? In addition I don't recall Saerin being upset about that in the following lines.

regardless the amount of times other AS are dummed down for Egwene's benefit(and then the same is done to her for Rand's benefit when comes to the WT) is pretty bad. I have a hard time getting through some of those parts.

how bout this one?

"As will I" Yukiri said.

ToM

it seems I forgot a line

Yeah I have seen both sides argued. But I was speaking of Saerin and Yukiri. Not sure what the quote about Saroiya who was in the room already has to do with that? In addition I don't recall Saerin being upset about that in the following lines.

regardless the amount of times other AS are dummed down for Egwene's benefit(and then the same is done to her for Rand's benefit when comes to the WT) is pretty bad. I have a hard time getting through some of those parts.

It is, I just wanted to point out with the final quote that it was about to be revealed, but two people entered the scene, and automatically voted before she could voice her concerns

Archived