DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Regarding the dynamics of bonding

I am on my second read of the series and on the last book. I had a random thought occur to me about the nature of the warder bond. I had always assumed that the bond made the individuals acutely aware of everything that the other was feeling, not just emotionally but in their physical body as well. With that in mind, it was surprising to me that Rand had no idea Elayne was pregnant until she told him. That’s all, just a thought I felt compelled to share. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:05 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I am on my second read of the series and on the last book. I had a random thought occur to me about the nature of the warder bond. I had always assumed that the bond made the individuals acutely aware of everything that the other was feeling, not just emotionally but in their physical body as well. With that in mind, it was surprising to me that Rand had no idea Elayne was pregnant until she told him. That’s all, just a thought I felt compelled to share. 

That is interesting. It's somewhat unclear to what degree the warder bond is capable of conscious communication.  In the early stages of pregnancy, pregnancy is not necessarily something that dominates a woman's physical state of being.  While a woman might be able to intellectually "know" that she is pregnant, that doesn't necessarily mean that her entire body "feels" pregnant. 

Also, there is the more RJ answer that men and women don't understand each other and so a man wouldn't recognize what being pregnant feels like even if he felt it.   

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 8:49 AM, Samt said:

That is interesting. It's somewhat unclear to what degree the warder bond is capable of conscious communication.  In the early stages of pregnancy, pregnancy is not necessarily something that dominates a woman's physical state of being.  While a woman might be able to intellectually "know" that she is pregnant, that doesn't necessarily mean that her entire body "feels" pregnant. 

Also, there is the more RJ answer that men and women don't understand each other and so a man wouldn't recognize what being pregnant feels like even if he felt it.   

All valid points. I guess my only remaining complaint, admittedly petty, is that I would at least expect Rand to notice her mood swings or something related to her condition…Elayne is frequently commenting on various changes within her POV that I was surprised didn’t register on Rands end. I agree with and appreciate all of your observations though! One last thought on the logistical side, regardless of the bond…I was surprised he didn’t hear anything from anyone about it either, not even the rumors 

Edited by Lightfriendsocialmistress

Firstly it is repeatedly stated that bonded parties only feel detailed sensations when in close proximity, at long distance all they have is direction and the knowledge the other party is still alive unless there are very strong sensations involved, and after bonding Rand is not again in Elaine's proximity until her pregnancy is very obvious.  Secondly it is noted by each of his bondholders that Rand is in constant agony from the twin wounds in his side - this would tend to lessen his ability to analyse less extreme sensory feedback from the others (in addition to making him slightly tetchy).