DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[ADVANCED] World War II Mafia: JAPAN WINS!

Basel Gill

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time - you have posted a lot but doesn´t really say anything or vote. Why is that? Are you on the same team as Thorum?

Some thoughts after reading the thread:

For some reason I mix up Ley and Rand. I don´t know why. This will be a tough game. I really don´t like when people start to talk about jesters early in the games. There are always aggressive players or players that plays weird or players that play really bad - that doesn´t mean that they are jesters.

Scheveningen. I agree that people who refuses to say it looks scummy. Wombat may bluff but refusing to say it is still scummy.

Ithi - gets suspicious of people that agrees with her. Of course people will think the same, especially this early in the game when there is not much to react to. (Well, now it is.) It sounds like she just threw out that comment - trying to just look town? Usually she is one of the leading voices but not so much this time. Feels like she is lying low. She is not high on my FoS list but just wanted to comment on it.

Darthe - annoying. First he has good information that is good for town but now he will not share. I don´t understand it. And the little "how to play" - speech. Why? I think people do their best. If I should only use logic then I wouldn´t be able to play at all. I´m not that smart.

And since I´m not that smart - what was that symbol, Maw?

Suspects: Thorum, Time, Ley, Rand.

I suspected Thorum ever since his first post and he has done nothing to change my mind.

I :wub: this post a lot. Pretty much agree with everything here, and my suspect list is almost exactly the same (except for Time, can't say I had noticed anything bout her)

But to reiterate on one point in particular: There is literally no reason to outright refuse to post that word, unless of course, your reason is that you're mafia and you're worried you'll give yourself away somehow.

You can even mistrust Wombat, that's your prerogative, but to straight up not say the word at the very least makes you look incredibly scummy. It's akin to someone revealing as the LD, and asking everyone to say they're town, and for some to refuse to say it.

Even if you're town, and you have a power role so you're just ultra wary that Wombat might be mafia and can somehow use the word in a negative way against townies, you're still making yourself stand out that much more by not saying it. Plus, this doesn't really make any sense given the context of the word. It was a shibboleth used to ferret out German spies, and I think it's pretty obvious who will be the mafia in this game.

Time - you have posted a lot but doesn´t really say anything or vote. Why is that? Are you on the same team as Thorum?

For some reason I mix up Ley and Rand. I don´t know why. This will be a tough game. I really don´t like when people start to talk about jesters early in the games. There are always aggressive players or players that plays weird or players that play really bad - that doesn´t mean that they are jesters.

Scheveningen. I agree that people who refuses to say it looks scummy. Wombat may bluff but refusing to say it is still scummy.

Ithi - gets suspicious of people that agrees with her. Of course people will think the same, especially this early in the game when there is not much to react to. (Well, now it is.) It sounds like she just threw out that comment - trying to just look town? Usually she is one of the leading voices but not so much this time. Feels like she is lying low. She is not high on my FoS list but just wanted to comment on it.

Darthe - annoying. First he has good information that is good for town but now he will not share. I don´t understand it. And the little "how to play" - speech. Why? I think people do their best. If I should only use logic then I wouldn´t be able to play at all. I´m not that smart.

I suspected Thorum ever since his first post and he has done nothing to change my mind.

I :wub: this post a lot. Pretty much agree with everything here, and my suspect list is almost exactly the same (except for Time, can't say I had noticed anything bout her)

But to reiterate on one point in particular: There is literally no reason to outright refuse to post that word, unless of course, your reason is that you're mafia and you're worried you'll give yourself away somehow.

You can even mistrust Wombat, that's your prerogative, but to straight up not say the word at the very least makes you look incredibly scummy. It's akin to someone revealing as the LD, and asking everyone to say they're town, and for some to refuse to say it.

Even if you're town, and you have a power role so you're just ultra wary that Wombat might be mafia and can somehow use the word in a negative way against townies, you're still making yourself stand out that much more by not saying it. Plus, this doesn't really make any sense given the context of the word. It was a shibboleth used to ferret out German spies, and I think it's pretty obvious who will be the mafia in this game.

This made me think. Does anyone have a list of who said "Scheveningen" and who didn't? 

Maybe if you're the doctor and you REALLY don't trust wombat... I know I wouldn't use the word in that case. Or you could be mafia and have been told that's a dangerous word. Or ...

There's too many options.

Darthe (4): Thorum, Ithi, Starry, Ley

Starry (1): BB

Ley (7): Turin, Despo, Womby, Darthe, BG, Rand, Snowy

Smiley (1): Chuckles

Rand (1): Len

Thorum (1): Tina

Chuckles (1): RTE

Not voting (7): Falcon, Random, Smiley, Kaylee, Time, Maw, Tress

With 23 alive it takes 12 to lynch.

Deadline is Friday, Dec. 7th at 9 PM EST.

http://www.timeandda...21207T21&p0=422

Argh, double posts from everyone!!! Silly DM...

Refusing to say it is not scummy. If he was confirmed town, then yeah, it would be scummy, but he's not, he just says he is. However, that's just a principle thing, because as I said, I think Womby's town.

Anyway, you're right about the context which I've now read up on, it's a town-positive word, so I just wanna hear a response from Turin so I can figure out why I think they're connected. Then I'll say it. Unless they strike me as scummates, but that's a small possibility.

Also, before someone said something about Starry echoing the Darthe acting off thing. He was the first one to mention that I'm pretty sure, so that case at least wasn't echoing. The others were.

Time has been pinging me for some reason, that might explain why.

Anyway, thought about it a bit more:

Unfortunately, Darthe's snarkyness and hypocrisy is annoying, but I'm getting a town read, so he's a no vote.

Currently Ley has my vote for jumping straight to Jester and pushing it really hard. Sure, he could be a Jester, but there are several outcomes where he isn't, which are getting ignored.

Vote Ley

(The colour text thing is blank...)

*rages*

DM apparently just ate my giant multi-quote list. *sigh* Alright, going to redo it, but I'll get this out of the way: Unvote, vote Ley it's obvious what is going on, you're just being bad scum/obtuse.

However, HoS on Darthe, and am completely willing to move my vote to him.

Whats so obvious?

It was a triforce. I just felt like posting one.

Plus, this doesn't really make any sense given the context of the word. It was a shibboleth used to ferret out German spies, and I think it's pretty obvious who will be the mafia in this game.

I was thinking the same actually. But regardless like many noted, I think at this point there is more harm and suspicion in not posting it than there is going along with it. Frankly, I'm surprised everyone just didn't post it... Seems like the safest bet no matter which side you are on...

Warning! Warning! Scum Alert! Scum Alert!

For more information: Please see Bolded Below.

Hi, sorry, I'm back!

I haven't posted in any of my mafia games for the last couple of days, cloud thingy was freezing me every time I clicked on anything, so the only thing I've been any good for the last couple of days has been RPs and the odd SG post.

Aaaanyway...I don't want to say the word. Two reasons: I suspect Womby of just conning everyone into saying it for some diabolical reason, but I was going to say it anyway, the second reason is the main one: Turin's pushing it like crazy. Why? Is he involved with Wombat in some way? I'm not going to ask Womby to tell us why instead of incessantly hinting, but I will ask Turin to tell me why he's pushing it so hard.

Ley is suspicious to me only due to the jump to Jester. That was a bit too obscure for me, and the big push on Darthe. 

Darthe is over-aggressive as per usual, but he seems especially mean in this game. However, the main things bugging me are the lack of casing or defending himself. All he's done this game is make snarky comments, hint at his role and then post a little rant about how to play mafia, followed by a reasonless vote and absolutely no actual play. If you're going to rant about something, then do try not to be hypocritical about it.

Refusing to say it is not scummy. If he was confirmed town, then yeah, it would be scummy, but he's not, he just says he is. However, that's just a principle thing, because as I said, I think Womby's town.

Anyway, you're right about the context which I've now read up on, it's a town-positive word, so I just wanna hear a response from Turin so I can figure out why I think they're connected. Then I'll say it. Unless they strike me as scummates, but that's a small possibility.

Also, before someone said something about Starry echoing the Darthe acting off thing. He was the first one to mention that I'm pretty sure, so that case at least wasn't echoing. The others were.

Unfortunately, Darthe's snarkyness and hypocrisy is annoying, but I'm getting a town read, so he's a no vote.

Currently Ley has my vote for jumping straight to Jester and pushing it really hard. Sure, he could be a Jester, but there are several outcomes where he isn't, which are getting ignored.

Vote Ley

Unvote: Vote Bard Babe

Inconsistent read and reasoning on Wombat, trying to info dig, wording arguments in a way that leaves an escape route: "It's a pro-town word, I'll say it if Turin tells me why he wants me to... unless I don't want to."

Plus, this doesn't really make any sense given the context of the word. It was a shibboleth used to ferret out German spies, and I think it's pretty obvious who will be the mafia in this game.

I was thinking the same actually. But regardless like many noted, I think at this point there is more harm and suspicion in not posting it than there is going along with it. Frankly, I'm surprised everyone just didn't post it... Seems like the safest bet no matter which side you are on...

I think Wombat's request makes perfect sense. In the war that word was used to get a nationality result by checking how someone would pronounce the word. So saying it is obvious who the Mafia is, doesn't mean it is obvious who is German or English or Dutch in this game lol. I do think it is a little unfair that Wombat has had to be so open with his method for checking this though. But, I can see Basel being someone that knows the subject of his game well - so I can completely believe that he would use an actual method from the war in his game. I wonder if there is also an enigma machine and pigeons too.

I'm not sure why Ley is so against saying it, but if he is not German and he is just being stubborn, he is not doing us any favours. Now even if he does say it, he has made such a big palaver out of it that he might still get checked and if he is Town then it will potentially be a waste - although Wombat will still get his result. If he doesn't say it then we will all think is cos he is Mafia and doesn't want to get caught out. I'm also still unhappy with Darthe being all snarky and offering info to help us but then saying actually no, he can't do that now.

Also CloudThingy completely HATES mobile users. It just bounces and spins and bounces and spins and doesn't let me in. I got to the point that I just put the thing away yesterday.

I'm replying to (I think) 11 quotes here, so be prepared.

I found you the scummiest because your whole post voting Darthe was heavy-handed WIFOM and fluff.  That being said, I also find Starrik, Lenlo, and some of the others who have been saying Darthe is off to be scummy.  And the fact that you don't want to utter my shibboleth should be quite disturbing to all townies.

I didn't want to say that word because I saw no reason to. (and as Ithi said above, I can be quite stubborn)

I must say that I'm thinking much the same as ley here, but I'm not sure about voting yet, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a similar role where the hammer voter gets killed? So yeah, some risk involved, not to mention the ley's argument above (where he did miss the possibility that Darth was a vanilla town acting as a Joker - unlikely, but then again  that's how WIFOMs work, right?)

A Townie doing this would be suiciding.

Question: Since this is a WW2 setup, would there be anyone would could fit the role of a Jester? I mean there are alot of things and people who would fit roles perfectly. Would anyone fit Jester? I agree with Ley though the pros out weigh the cons of lynching Darthe.

Vote Darthe

What else do you think there  could be with this theme?

Thought about that too, but I forgot when making my case...

I love when people have cases on me yet I happen to be town =).  

I started thinking a bit about this yesterday evening, and I'd have posted my case yesterday already if DM hadn't been down again.

So, what is this behavior?

1) It's really suspicious. A Townie wouldn't do it because people would suspect him to be Mafia, and a Mafia wouldn't do it because people would suspect him for it. The same for -most- Third Parties. And that's where we get to point 2.

2) He is maybe a Jester, a Third Party that wins if Lynched. This is the only way his behaviour would be positive for him, and as people have said, he knows the game, so he'll know that posts like this one have a big chance of getting him lynched.

HOWEVER, he also knows that we also know the game. I remember when a Jester was found, and everyone just ignored him further on (or was it her? I don't remember...). He could also be a Mafia, acting as a Jester, so that noone would vote him.

Now, there are four things that can happen:

1. He is Jester, and we don't lynch him. Outcome: Jester loses.

2. He is Jester and we lynch him. Outcome: Jester wins.

3. He is Mafia and we don't lynch him. Outcome: Mafia wins.

4. He is Mafia and we lynch him. Outcome: We get a Mafia killed on D1.

I'd say it's worth the chance of catching a Jester.

[color=#ff0000]vote Darthe[/color]

What a bunch of over-explained WIFOM crap.  Combine this with your reluctance to utter the word "Scheveningen" despite the fact that you seem to know what I am getting at, and I think we have found scum.

unvote

Vote: Leyrann

This really made me ROFLMFAO. What's wrong with me not saying that word? You can add me on Skype and I'll say it to you if you want. But I won't post it here. You're trying to get somewhere, and until I know you are town, I WILL NOT say that word. I think I remember some roles that include words being said, and I'm not sure they are all town aligned, nor do I feel like digging through the mafia wiki for that.

Also, please give me a decent reason to vote me. I wasn't WIFOMing, I know we have either a Jester or a Mafia, and it is clear that it's better to have a Jester killed (because a Jester doesn't give us any disadvancement by dying, except that he stops trying to die before the Mafia or Town wins) than a Mafia not killed (as he'd kill us one by one).

You don't *know* anything. You may be 100% sure of it, but that still doesn't mean its correct.

Why are you accusing everyone and their mother of being a 3rd party?

I think Darthe is either Mafia or Jester because he seems to want himself lynched with those posts he made (really, that was a damn scummy post...), so he either is the Jester, or a Mafia acting like a Jester. I am thinking you are maybe a Lyncher because you seem to really want to get me lynched. And that's it. Only 2 people.

I would also like to know how Leyrann is so certain of Darthe being either mafia or jester.

How?

He can be 3 things:

Town/not Jester Third Party, which means he was suicidal with that post, don't you agree?

Mafia, which means he was trying to look like a Jester, so that we would ignore him all game if he was lucky.

Jester, which means he was trying to die to win.

Now, if we kill a Jester, we won't lose. If we ignore a Mafia, we WILL lose. And that's why I think he should be lynched. Of course, he can be a town, but if you make a post "I like how everyone is accusing me while I am town" or something along those lines. then you really want to die or to be regarded as a Jester. If he's a town indeed, it's his own fault he gets lynched. And everyone here can be either town, mafia or third party. However, for him, we actually have a reason to think he is Mafia, while we don't have for others, at least not such a strong case (or is making the first real case of the game a case for you? Because that's what you have done).

Darthe's play seems very similar to his play last game, imo. Early hinting, antagonistic, semi-scummy. He turned out to be Town in that game. Not saying that he is this game too, but something to keep in mind.

Answer to first question: Have a look at the second quote you made. It explains it. Second part of this post: I just really didn't understand what he was doing, but the more I read today, the more I got convinced it is indeed a bit his playstyle. Will not put my unvote here, but at the bottom of my post, to make it easier.

Vote Leyrann

@Ithi - The only two people talking back and forth might be a result of wonky DM, so that's null to me.

I think that Darthe likes to play things dangerous and lives on the edge a lot. He's usually quite antagonistic and semi-scummy in someone's eye whether town or mafia.

However, my vote on you isn't about that, but your refusal to answer Wombat's secret word. I don't see any way that a mafia person would have power to use that word in a negative way given the theme.

Also willing to vote Despo for his vote inconsistency not matching with his reasonings.

And THAT'S what I needed. A reason to say that word. Scheveningen. Wombat just straight out kept refusing to explain why to say it...

So, again.

Scheveningen.

I need to spell it out?

S c h e v e n i n g e n

Scheveningen

Also, it appears I can now get online. Ley, I can understand thinking he might be a jester, I also wondered that. Your argument about Wombat being unlyncher seems a stretch though.

I know it was a bit a stretch... I think it also was a bit because I've been away from Mafia so long, and it felt like a rather weak case... Though, a thought that just occured to me, maybe Wombat has a role that he can investigate everyone who's said scheveningen, which would give him a good reason to push me.

See, I had this idea when we started the game.  It was risky but at the time it was profitable.  I offered information in exchange for acknowledgement because I wanted to know who would ask and who wouldn't.  Unfortunately, by the time some of you bothered to question me a bit the information that I have became significantly less valuable because of the actions of another player in the game.  However, my (in large part) silence has offered new opportunities to hunt down te mafiaz and so we proceed.  

I would like to take a moment to remind you all that mafia is a game of logic and reasoning.  A lot of the things done either by tradition, rote, or superstition on DM, things that have been built up by long time and your personal relationships with each other, are stupid.  Completely.  In order to find mafia we need to eliminate who those individual could not be as much as we need to mark who they could be.  AKA, you can clear people based on their actions alone, though the thought seems taboo to many here.  These long speeches and cases that have little impact are simple filler material.  A game could have been over in 12-20 pages and yet we still bicker wistfully over things that are by and large irrelevant.  Trust your gut, trust your logic.  If either is faulty share it anyhow.  If both are leading you in the same direction then push it.  Find townies as much as you find mafia.  Cause if we outnumber them we win.

Kill leyrann, he isn't helping the town.

Nice reasoning. It's that BG made an excellent case, or I wouldn't have unvoted you. Mostly becuase of this post you are still high on my list of very suspicous people.

How is Ley being overaggressive?

Making the first case of the game is always seen as agressive...

How is Ley being overaggressive?

He's going in very, very hard on darthe without allowing any possibility whatsoever that he might not be scum. Also pointing third-party fingers at everybody and their mother.

At everybody? 1-2 people =/= everybody. Darthe was only a possibility, as I said (if I had been sure he was the Jester, I'd have ignored him), and as you can read above, I take back what I said about Wombat.

*rages*

DM apparently just ate my giant multi-quote list. *sigh* Alright, going to redo it, but I'll get this out of the way: Unvote, vote Ley it's obvious what is going on, you're just being bad scum/obtuse.

However, HoS on Darthe, and am completely willing to move my vote to him.

Dat bandwagoning...

Vote Ley

Pushing it really hard? Ignoring outcomes where he's not a Jester?

1) I only explained my reasoning once or twice when Wombat started arguing with me, that's not pushing.

2) I said he was maybe a Mafia, which was the reason to vote him, NOT because he was a Jester. I don't vote people who I think are most likely a Jester.

Also, I don't remember who said it, but I don't expect the game to end when the Jester is killed. That is just not a fun game, as it most likely ends on D1 or D2. I do know for sure I'd hate a Mod for doing that.

Hi, sorry, I'm back!

I haven't posted in any of my mafia games for the last couple of days, cloud thingy was freezing me every time I clicked on anything, so the only thing I've been any good for the last couple of days has been RPs and the odd SG post.

Aaaanyway...I don't want to say the word. Two reasons: I suspect Womby of just conning everyone into saying it for some diabolical reason, but I was going to say it anyway, the second reason is the main one: Turin's pushing it like crazy. Why? Is he involved with Wombat in some way? I'm not going to ask Womby to tell us why instead of incessantly hinting, but I will ask Turin to tell me why he's pushing it so hard.

Ley is suspicious to me only due to the jump to Jester. That was a bit too obscure for me, and the big push on Darthe. 

Darthe is over-aggressive as per usual, but he seems especially mean in this game. However, the main things bugging me are the lack of casing or defending himself. All he's done this game is make snarky comments, hint at his role and then post a little rant about how to play mafia, followed by a reasonless vote and absolutely no actual play. If you're going to rant about something, then do try not to be hypocritical about it.

Vote Ley

Inconsistent read and reasoning on Wombat, trying to info dig, wording arguments in a way that leaves an escape route: "It's a pro-town word, I'll say it if Turin tells me why he wants me to... unless I don't want to."

Straight out contradicting itself. Best case in the game so far.

unvote, vote Bard Babe

Hi, sorry, I'm back!

Vote Ley

That is a pretty large difference, can't see how that could really be much of a mistake. Womby being possibly diabolical (now mention of a Town read) - to possibly Town. So yeah inconsistency.

Next paragraph is me working through this by writing...

But does inconsistency = mafia, I guess it's one of the things you look for, people showing two differing arguments could show something wrong or fabricated or just plain trying to spread yourself so under any circumstance you have a plausible excuse. Not to mention the slight double standard on Turin and Wombat. Turin she want's info from but Wombat is fine disregarding the fact that he is the person who instigated this whole thing - if she's willing to let Wombat's reason go, then why not Turin

So for the above reasons plus the fact that it's the biggest mistake I've see in the game so far: Vote Bard Babe

Mafia often have to spread themselves around trying to buddy up while simultaneously FOSing people so they have a good reason to be on any possible lynch. They don't really believe someone is scummy because they know who is and isn't mafia, so they have to fabricate stuff. If they aren't paying attention, it's easy to forget who they were "suspicious" of and who they "have a town read on." Town generally believes what they post and stick to it unless convinced otherwise via arguements, they don't just randomly switch. Therefore Bard Babe is mafia.

Mafia often have to spread themselves around trying to buddy up while simultaneously FOSing people so they have a good reason to be on any possible lynch. They don't really believe someone is scummy because they know who is and isn't mafia, so they have to fabricate stuff. If they aren't paying attention, it's easy to forget who they were "suspicious" of and who they "have a town read on." Town generally believes what they post and stick to it unless convinced otherwise via arguements, they don't just randomly switch. Therefore Bard Babe is mafia.

like I thought, thanks though

Yeah, thats a fairly obvious inconsitency with BB over there, plus her constant refusal to say the word is really annoying.  I'm thinking she's our best bet.  unvote vote BB

Keeping an FoS on Ley, it could be just stubbornness, but the quick change when if you clicked on the link a reason had already been given.  Don't like it at all. 

Your welcome

Wombat

Ithi

Thorum - It seemed like a quote of Wombat that went wrong though

Maw

RTE

Turin

RandA lThor 

Thorum – Says it now on purpose

BG

Lenlo – Says he still doesn’t trust it though

Lolguy

Rand – Says it again in response to Turin

Starrik

Time

Kaylee

Tress

Despo

John Snow

Tina

Leyrann – Wanted a direct reason stated

Random has not said it yet

Falcon has not said it yet

BB obviously has not said it.

Darthe did not say it

Smiley has not said it.

Random and Falcon have been inactive.  BB has already said she will not say it.  Smiley we are still trying to convince.  Darthe I am unsure of.

For Smiley:  The history of the word was able to seperate German spies (99.99999999999999999999999999999% sure to be the enemies this game) from Allies, which means that in this game, Basel could have easily put in a measure where saying this word allows Wombat to view you or something along those lines.  This would mean that saying it would be pro town.  In the small chance that Basel turned history around and made this a mafia role, we will be able to see if this has a negative effect for town, and then we can get Wombat.  Either way, it is pro town to say this.  Therefore, all 5 people that I have listed should say it as fast as possible.

Would be willing to switch to Bard Babe but I'm not totally buying Leyrann's argument.  In his earlier posts, he seemed totally cognizant of the fact that "Scheveningen" was a shibboleth yet he is arguing that he wanted me to directly state my reasons?  That's either super obtuse or disingenuous.

Archived