DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[ADVANCED] World War II Mafia: JAPAN WINS!

Basel Gill

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only just now realized I haven't been remembering to include the list of non-voters.

Despo (1): Tress

Darthe (4): Maw, Thorum, Ithi, Starry

Starry (1): BB

Ley (2): Turin, Despo

Ithi (1): Snow

Smiley (1): Chuckles

Rand (1): Len

Thorum (2): Tina, Womby

Tress (1): Darthe

Chuckles (1): RTE

Not voting (9): Falcon, Random, Smiley, Rand, Ley, BG, Kaylee, Time, Snow

With 23 alive it takes 12 to lynch.

Deadline is Friday, Dec. 7th at 9 PM EST.

http://www.timeandda...21207T21&p0=422

Two points:

- I answered on the question "how do you like being on a QT?" in a general manner. Without that last sentence, everyone would have taken it as if I'm confirming being on one, instead of giving a general response.

- Scheveningen. Interesting story. In Flanders, the phrase "Schild en vriend" was used for the same reasons: non-Flemish are unable to pronounce it correctly ;D  Btw, the "ch" sound does occur in Scottish, fe as last letter in the word "loch".

I love when people have cases on me yet I happen to be town =).  

I started thinking a bit about this yesterday evening, and I'd have posted my case yesterday already if DM hadn't been down again.

So, what is this behavior?

1) It's really suspicious. A Townie wouldn't do it because people would suspect him to be Mafia, and a Mafia wouldn't do it because people would suspect him for it. The same for -most- Third Parties. And that's where we get to point 2.

2) He is maybe a Jester, a Third Party that wins if Lynched. This is the only way his behaviour would be positive for him, and as people have said, he knows the game, so he'll know that posts like this one have a big chance of getting him lynched.

HOWEVER, he also knows that we also know the game. I remember when a Jester was found, and everyone just ignored him further on (or was it her? I don't remember...). He could also be a Mafia, acting as a Jester, so that noone would vote him.

Now, there are four things that can happen:

1. He is Jester, and we don't lynch him. Outcome: Jester loses.

2. He is Jester and we lynch him. Outcome: Jester wins.

3. He is Mafia and we don't lynch him. Outcome: Mafia wins.

4. He is Mafia and we lynch him. Outcome: We get a Mafia killed on D1.

I'd say it's worth the chance of catching a Jester.

[color=#ff0000]vote Darthe[/color]

I must say that I'm thinking much the same as ley here, but I'm not sure about voting yet, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a similar role where the hammer voter gets killed? So yeah, some risk involved, not to mention the ley's argument above (where he did miss the possibility that Darth was a vanilla town acting as a Joker - unlikely, but then again  that's how WIFOMs work, right?)

Question: Since this is a WW2 setup, would there be anyone would could fit the role of a Jester? I mean there are alot of things and people who would fit roles perfectly. Would anyone fit Jester? I agree with Ley though the pros out weigh the cons of lynching Darthe.

Vote Darthe

What else do you think there  could be with this theme?

I started thinking a bit about this yesterday evening, and I'd have posted my case yesterday already if DM hadn't been down again.

1) It's really suspicious. A Townie wouldn't do it because people would suspect him to be Mafia, and a Mafia wouldn't do it because people would suspect him for it. The same for -most- Third Parties. And that's where we get to point 2.

2) He is maybe a Jester, a Third Party that wins if Lynched. This is the only way his behaviour would be positive for him, and as people have said, he knows the game, so he'll know that posts like this one have a big chance of getting him lynched.

HOWEVER, he also knows that we also know the game. I remember when a Jester was found, and everyone just ignored him further on (or was it her? I don't remember...). He could also be a Mafia, acting as a Jester, so that noone would vote him.

What a bunch of over-explained WIFOM crap.  Combine this with your reluctance to utter the word "Scheveningen" despite the fact that you seem to know what I am getting at, and I think we have found scum.

unvote

Vote: Leyrann

Wombat, why are you so focused on getting us to say that word? At this point I cant help but think that you have a power that only works on those who say that word and I dont want to say it until I know what it is.

Call it paranoia but I dont care.

Wombat, why are you so focused on getting us to say that word? At this point I cant help but think that you have a power that only works on those who say that word and I dont want to say it until I know what it is.

Call it paranoia but I dont care.

I have all but spelled it out.

There has been a remarkable run of mafia being lynched Day 1 in recent history by the players paying attention to what is being said. That you and Thorum both have stated that finding mafia Day 1 is old thinking. If the town works to find them we can smoke them out. To just sit and say "day one is useless" is anti-town IMO.

Agreed. I used to think that Day 1 was more random than not, it was The Way Things Were. Now we've realized how it can be used for good. However, I think there are some folks here who maybe haven't played in a while who might not realize the change, so I'm not too keen on auto-Fosing people for the thought.

In fact, I always believed this, but it just doesn't work if others don't, so we always ended with random kills anyways back then...

Ok ... I googled.

Scheveningen ([ˈsχeːvənɪŋə(n)] ( listen)) is one of the eight districts of The Hague, as well as a subdistrict (wijk) of that city. Scheveningen is a modern seaside resort with a long sandy beach, an esplanade, a pier, and a lighthouse. The beach is popular for water sports such as windsurfing and kiteboarding.[1] A nudist section is 1 km to the north.

Who knew the Hague had a nudist section. Apparently it's also a name for a variation of the Sicilian defence in Chess. One should never mess with sicillians!!

Add to that the the first letters of the word, "sch" are pronounced as in the English "school" by English people, like they should be by Dutch people (a sound that does not exist in English by the way), and like "sh" in eg "shine" by German people. So if you asked people to say the password (which was purposefully made known everywhere), you knew if they were English, Dutch or German.

Indeed.  In fact, the phonetic properties of the word "Scheveningen" make it very relevant to this game:

https://sesquiotic.wordpress.com/tag/scheveningen/

Once again, I would request that people post the word.  Thank you.

I must say that I'm thinking much the same as ley here, but I'm not sure about voting yet, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a similar role where the hammer voter gets killed? So yeah, some risk involved, not to mention the ley's argument above (where he did miss the possibility that Darth was a vanilla town acting as a Joker - unlikely, but then again  that's how WIFOMs work, right?)

A Townie doing this would be suiciding.

Question: Since this is a WW2 setup, would there be anyone would could fit the role of a Jester? I mean there are alot of things and people who would fit roles perfectly. Would anyone fit Jester? I agree with Ley though the pros out weigh the cons of lynching Darthe.

Vote Darthe

What else do you think there  could be with this theme?

Thought about that too, but I forgot when making my case...

What a bunch of over-explained WIFOM crap.  Combine this with your reluctance to utter the word "Scheveningen" despite the fact that you seem to know what I am getting at, and I think we have found scum.

unvote

Vote: Leyrann

This really made me ROFLMFAO. What's wrong with me not saying that word? You can add me on Skype and I'll say it to you if you want. But I won't post it here. You're trying to get somewhere, and until I know you are town, I WILL NOT say that word. I think I remember some roles that include words being said, and I'm not sure they are all town aligned, nor do I feel like digging through the mafia wiki for that.

Also, please give me a decent reason to vote me. I wasn't WIFOMing, I know we have either a Jester or a Mafia, and it is clear that it's better to have a Jester killed (because a Jester doesn't give us any disadvancement by dying, except that he stops trying to die before the Mafia or Town wins) than a Mafia not killed (as he'd kill us one by one).

Archived