DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[ADVANCED] World War II Mafia: JAPAN WINS!

Basel Gill

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been a remarkable run of mafia being lynched Day 1 in recent history by the players paying attention to what is being said. That you and Thorum both have stated that finding mafia Day 1 is old thinking. If the town works to find them we can smoke them out. To just sit and say "day one is useless" is anti-town IMO.

Agreed. I used to think that Day 1 was more random than not, it was The Way Things Were. Now we've realized how it can be used for good. However, I think there are some folks here who maybe haven't played in a while who might not realize the change, so I'm not too keen on auto-Fosing people for the thought.

Darthe, this is not the first time in recent games you have stated a case then gone AWOL. FoS.

I've seen some pretty good Day 1 Mafia lynches. Suspicion on the "Day 1 is useless" posters.

Seem to be echoing a lot of what other more prominent people have said. This is just one example.

Hey guys just checking back in really quick, still don't go back to work till tomorrow so I won't have time to add a lot of thoughts till then.

For now tho Ley and Thorium are pinging me, partly cause of the "catching mafia day 1 rarely happens" thing and partially cause their posts just rub me wrong so far. Don't like Darthe's game so far either, his role hinting and ambiguity plus the "lol wut are they saying on your QT" gimmick.

For now I'm gonna Unvote, Vote Leyrann

Odd that your case on Ley and Thorum isn't that great, but the Darthe one is, yet you vote Ley.... Hmmm.

The Despo and Darthe too and fro seems a little off, Darthe especially. He's an articulate and experienced mafia player - yet is coming out with all these weird base level snarky comments. It's quite funny actually. I have this strange niggle that they are up to something, with one of them going, 'ok - I'll says this and then you act all narked off about it tee hee hee'.

Also Despo has stronger reasons, according to his post, for voting Darthe - and yet votes Leyrann. He says that, "For now tho Ley and Thorium are pinging me, partly cause of the "catching mafia day 1 rarely happens" thing and partially cause their posts just rub me wrong so far. Don't like Darthe's game so far either, his role hinting and ambiguity plus the "lol wut are they saying on your QT" gimmick."

So feeling a bit wrong and not believing in the power of the 1st Day Mafia Lynch (which is one of my favourite things to do :rolleyes: Probably not what you meant to say, though

Your whole thing here about "not confirm or deny" being a QT is weird and I don't like it.

He does seem very off. Either a ploy, or just a weird day.....

Repeating what others have to say again.

Has someone else said that Darthe seems off? Who are the 'others'? I don't remember reading that, but I'm stuck on mobile view and so can't easily go back and forth in the game. Basically I' going to have to just try and remember stuff the best I can.

I'm not to keen on people seeming to agree too easily with me either. Makes me wonder what they are up to.

Darn you again Ithi for noticing something I noticed too!

It's no case nubcake but thank you for voting me admittedly with no reason =)  Tell me, how does it feel to be in a QT?

Sorry, starrik, I do not succeed in getting you out of the quote. 

- Being in a QT generally feels good, since it usually means you have something special to do in that game. While I can tell you I'm not in a mafia QT, I won't deny nor affirm being in a town QT.

- I voted you to remind myself and everyone else you still haven't answered up on your (reaffirmed) page 1 statement. Not random.

Wombat are you asking us all to start speaking German.

Dutch, actually.  Anyone who does not say "Scheveningen" is probably anti-town.

Also

Vote: Thorum

Good theory: Dutch-speaking people are probably town, so I'll vote one of the few native-Dutch-speakers in the game.  :rolleyes: Probably not what you meant to say, though

I'm sorry, have you posted the word "Scheveningen" yet?

Ok ... I googled.

Scheveningen ([ˈsχeːvənɪŋə(n)] ( listen)) is one of the eight districts of The Hague, as well as a subdistrict (wijk) of that city. Scheveningen is a modern seaside resort with a long sandy beach, an esplanade, a pier, and a lighthouse. The beach is popular for water sports such as windsurfing and kiteboarding.[1] A nudist section is 1 km to the north.

Who knew the Hague had a nudist section. Apparently it's also a name for a variation of the Sicilian defence in Chess. One should never mess with sicillians!!

There has been a remarkable run of mafia being lynched Day 1 in recent history by the players paying attention to what is being said. That you and Thorum both have stated that finding mafia Day 1 is old thinking. If the town works to find them we can smoke them out. To just sit and say "day one is useless" is anti-town IMO.

Agreed. I used to think that Day 1 was more random than not, it was The Way Things Were. Now we've realized how it can be used for good. However, I think there are some folks here who maybe haven't played in a while who might not realize the change, so I'm not too keen on auto-Fosing people for the thought.

In fact, I always believed this, but it just doesn't work if others don't, so we always ended with random kills anyways back then...

Ok ... I googled.

Scheveningen ([ˈsχeːvənɪŋə(n)] ( listen)) is one of the eight districts of The Hague, as well as a subdistrict (wijk) of that city. Scheveningen is a modern seaside resort with a long sandy beach, an esplanade, a pier, and a lighthouse. The beach is popular for water sports such as windsurfing and kiteboarding.[1] A nudist section is 1 km to the north.

Who knew the Hague had a nudist section. Apparently it's also a name for a variation of the Sicilian defence in Chess. One should never mess with sicillians!!

Add to that the the first letters of the word, "sch" are pronounced as in the English "school" by English people, like they should be by Dutch people (a sound that does not exist in English by the way), and like "sh" in eg "shine" by German people. So if you asked people to say the password (which was purposefully made known everywhere), you knew if they were English, Dutch or German.

And by now, I've switched again  :wink: How does that affect your theory? Day one votes ARE random, and getting a mafia day one neigh impossible.

In your game, mafia could have expected Balder to receive (almost) no votes at all, apart from theirs. If they followed on on that theory, Leelou was out of trouble for 1 or 2 nights. Too bad I had to leave that game very early on.

I always play exactly the same, whatever allignment I have. And it always gets me lynched day 3 or 4, if not sooner.

How about day 1. :wink:unvote vote Thorum

This bothers me. It kind of bespeaks an 'i don't care who i lynch as long as they get lynched' attitude.

▲

▲ ▲

BG ... I don't like that you changed the words in a quote attributed to me, and I have no idea what you are going on about the 'confirm or deny a QT' thing

Drat. DM Quote monster strikes again. Sorry Ithi, something got lost there. There was a quote of Thorum that somehow got mangled with yours and everything in between was lost.

Even now as I try to re-quote your quote and Thorum's next to each other, they meld randomly.... so I'll do it upside down with Thorum's quote first:

It's no case nubcake but thank you for voting me admittedly with no reason =)  Tell me, how does it feel to be in a QT?

Sorry, starrik, I do not succeed in getting you out of the quote. 

- Being in a QT generally feels good, since it usually means you have something special to do in that game. While I can tell you I'm not in a mafia QT, I won't deny nor affirm being in a town QT.

- I voted you to remind myself and everyone else you still haven't answered up on your (reaffirmed) page 1 statement. Not random.

Wombat are you asking us all to start speaking German.

Dutch, actually.  Anyone who does not say "Scheveningen" is probably anti-town.

Also

Vote: Thorum

Good theory: Dutch-speaking people are probably town, so I'll vote one of the few native-Dutch-speakers in the game.  :rolleyes: Probably not what you meant to say, though

Your whole thing here about "not confirm or deny" being a QT is weird and I don't like it.

The Despo and Darthe too and fro seems a little off, Darthe especially. He's an articulate and experienced mafia player - yet is coming out with all these weird base level snarky comments. It's quite funny actually. I have this strange niggle that they are up to something, with one of them going, 'ok - I'll says this and then you act all narked off about it tee hee hee'.

Also Despo has stronger reasons, according to his post, for voting Darthe - and yet votes Leyrann. He says that, "For now tho Ley and Thorium are pinging me, partly cause of the "catching mafia day 1 rarely happens" thing and partially cause their posts just rub me wrong so far. Don't like Darthe's game so far either, his role hinting and ambiguity plus the "lol wut are they saying on your QT" gimmick."

So feeling a bit wrong and not believing in the power of the 1st Day Mafia Lynch (which is one of my favourite things to do :biggrin:, is more voteworthy than role hinting and being ambiguous ... ok. It's almost like you don't want to vote him... :unsure:

so

Vote Darthe

I had a comment here previously saying something like: "Darn it Ithi for noticing the same thing I did about Despo not voting Darthe!" Though I can't remember exactly what I wrote the first time.

Despo (1): Tress

Darthe (3): Maw, Thorum, Ithi

Starry (1): BB

Ley (3): Starry, Turin, Despo

Ithi (1): Snow

Smiley (1): Chuckles

Rand (1): Len

Thorum (3): Tina, Rand, Womby

Tress (1): Darthe

Chuckles (1): RTE

With 23 alive it takes 12 to lynch.

Deadline is Friday, Dec. 7th at 9 PM EST.

http://www.timeandda...21207T21&p0=422

At least not when death is on the line, no.

Also I refuse to say that word. Silly nudists.

In fact, I always believed this, but it just doesn't work if others don't, so we always ended with random kills anyways back then...

Ok ... I googled.

Add to that the the first letters of the word, "sch" are pronounced as in the English "school" by English people, like they should be by Dutch people (a sound that does not exist in English by the way), and like "sh" in eg "shine" by German people. So if you asked people to say the password (which was purposefully made known everywhere), you knew if they were English, Dutch or German.

Indeed.  In fact, the phonetic properties of the word "Scheveningen" make it very relevant to this game:

https://sesquiotic.wordpress.com/tag/scheveningen/

Once again, I would request that people post the word.  Thank you.

Archived