DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

io9: Why do you think 2021 is the right time for a Wheel of Time series?

Judkins: One of the core themes of this book series is balance, and that’s very unusual for a big fantasy book series. I think that is a theme in this hyper-polarized world that we’re living in right now that really speaks to people, and it has something important to say.

Big cajones on Rafe to say this after spending 3 years vocally expressing his intent to inject highly divisive politics into the show. 

I really like the actors they chose.  These interviews give me hope that even if I don't like the cuts and arcs they choose to put forward that the show will still be great.  This show will succeed or fail based on chemistry and conflict between the characters.  The action so far looks good.  If they can make us feel the characters this will be worth watching.

I feel bad for Josha.  Its really obvious he is struggling to not reveal to much while answering questions.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

"I mean I could give you 40-minute interviews of things that I wish we had included but can't," he said laughing. "But a lot of it was about trying to approach the adaptation of the whole series versus just the Eye of the World and a lot of that involved was to make sure we're delivering an ensemble story and making sure we're setting up a world where we can achieve production-wise in the first season and make everything as spectacular as it should look."

12 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

seven core characters that we have right in the first four episodes and take us through the whole series. A couple of them meet their untimely demise along the way but, at its core, they run you from book one to book 14.

What is he referring to here? 

Just now, Ralph said:

seven core characters that we have right in the first four episodes and take us through the whole series. A couple of them meet their untimely demise along the way but, at its core, they run you from book one to book 14.

What is he referring to here? 

Seven can't include Thom, so only Moiraine? 

12 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

We have an episode that starts with an insane scene that I... it's a fight sequence that no fan of the books is expecting to see in this season, but it works perfectly, I think, in this season and is a really exciting way to tell this story. I think that the fans of the books will also feel like, oh my God, I'm so glad that I got to see that scene brought to life. I just never expected that I would.

Mat V Gawyn and Galad? 

Or what? 

I think those are the kinds of swings we get to take in a different way than on something like Agents of SHIELD. That adaptation is so much more loose. You're really just playing with characters — some of them are from the comics, and a lot of them not from the comics. This, I think, I bear a responsibility to be much more true to the source material because of what it is. We like to still take swings like that and do it with our storytelling style too. The episode we have, that's all told from Moiraine's POV, it's a big swing for a show like this. They never did that on Game of Thrones, but it sits within the world of our show and the stories that we're telling from the books.

This is what he says about the changes

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

I really liked this one and the final paragraph has me excited: 

This article only covered costumes, but I hope it gives you some sense of the wheels turning behind the scenes. While there are fans of the books who have loved them for years, who may be hesitant that the story will be done well, we will need more new fans to love them if we are going to see the Last Battle come to life. On that front, I can tell you that those who cherished the books will love this adaptation, if they go in with an open mind and remember that no one can make everyone happy all the time. Those who have never read the books should be able to follow with no trouble. For those who like to binge watch and rewatch, there is more to discover with each viewing. I was driving after watching the first three episodes and found myself slapping the steering wheel yelling “Blood and bloody ashes, how did I miss that! That was amazing!” Overall, I’m very excited for the direction that this show is taking, and look forward to breaking down even more costume theory as the show progresses through the story!