DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Harry Potter Week - Dumbledore's Army Mafia Game Thread [GAME OVER-MAFIA WINS]

Adella

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, you haven't struck a nerve. Granted, I don't like your vote but at least you are trying to reason it out, which is more than Darthe has done. 

I'm actually a bit suspicious of Devil's Advocate at the moment. All of the "let's not judge a person by their House" could be scum trying to come across as all fair-minded and Hufflepuff. So the way I see it Devil's Advocate is either the most Hufflepuffy Hufflepuff ever or scum.

Dice is correct; canon is that there are NO Slytherins in Dumbledore's Army. Are there Slytherins that aren't scum? Absolutely but you'll have to pardon me if I tend to be a bit (okay a lot) more suspicious of them. That said, most everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that more than likely one of the scum is NOT a Slytherin. One of the scum is a member of Dumbledore's Army.  However, if the concensus is to go after the Inquisitorial Squad first, I'm all in. But let's not forget the snitch.

Ben, you haven't struck a nerve. Granted, I don't like your vote but at least you are trying to reason it out, which is more than Darthe has done. 

I'm actually a bit suspicious of Devil's Advocate at the moment. All of the "let's not judge a person by their House" could be scum trying to come across as all fair-minded and Hufflepuff. So the way I see it Devil's Advocate is either the most Hufflepuffy Hufflepuff ever or scum.

Dice is correct; canon is that there are NO Slytherins in Dumbledore's Army. Are there Slytherins that aren't scum? Absolutely but you'll have to pardon me if I tend to be a bit (okay a lot) more suspicious of them. That said, most everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that more than likely one of the scum is NOT a Slytherin. One of the scum is a member of Dumbledore's Army.  However, if the concensus is to go after the Inquisitorial Squad first, I'm all in. But let's not forget the snitch.

What is the point in speculating what House scum are in?  How does it matter?

This really just smacks of people trying to make pointless conversations look like gameplay.

This really just smacks of people trying to make pointless conversations look like gameplay.

I agree about the speculating about which house scum are in. There are examples in the books/films that show characters who are terrible people who weren't in Slytherin.

I also think worrying too much about canon might be destructive to the group though, but at the same time it's getting everyone talking and thinking about who the scum are. I think Dar is just wanting to keep in mind that there is a snitch and not to forget about it in searching for the Inquisitorial Squad.

Correct. I couldnt care less about the theme or its implications so long as they arent gameplay.

Lets kill something

I like where your head is at......which is weird, because I normally prefer your head to be rolling on the ground after it has been removed from your body.  ;-)

I agree about the speculating about which house scum are in. There are examples in the books/films that show characters who are terrible people who weren't in Slytherin.

I also think worrying too much about canon might be destructive to the group though, but at the same time it's getting everyone talking and thinking about who the scum are. I think Dar is just wanting to keep in mind that there is a snitch and not to forget about it in searching for the Inquisitorial Squad.

How do you know this?  The OP speaks to the squad having basically infiltrated our ranks, but nothing about a specific snitch AND a squad (scum team).

This looks a lot like TMI.

@Dar, care to discuss?

Devil's Advocate I get what you are saying about Slytherin having some good peeps, but it seems far more likely in this game that we won't find any good Slytherins.

I think Daruya's point here is that according to canon, there were no Slytherins in the DA. That doesn't mean there can't be some in this game, although I think it would be... unusual, honestly. 

i disagree. im probably gaming the mod here but bear with me.

in the canon there are NO slytherins in the DA and this game IS called Dumbledores Army.

The scum have safe claims this leads me to believe they are names we knoiw and names we would automatically lynch. 

You don't know that for sure, though. That's just an assumption based on flavour, it has nothing to do with anyone's actual role or alignment.

I don't like devil implying that a PR from slytherin is a possibility. The MOD stated that the game is vanilla. We now know that there are gifts available to earn. There are NO inherent power roles that I can see.

Yes, that was a mistake. I realised shortly after mentioning PRs that this was a vanilla game, and mentioned as much in my post here. I'm used to playing in games with lots of PRs, so I didn't think to check until after I'd already made my post. Apologies for any confusion.

thats my point turin. they HAVE safe claims. therefore i think their REAL characters are things like Draco  names that we would autolynch and names that are slytherin. So i DONT think we will have any town aligned Slytherins. THATS my point.

I had already considered the major names bit and in fact had it in my post but deleted it cause i didnt want to throw that WIFOM out there.

I'd like to think we're all smart enough NOT to autolynch anyone based on something like that. That's what I've been trying to explain.

I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this, Dice.  Scum team may or may not be people in Slytherin.....and they have fake claims anyway, so why bother?  Just scumhunt the old fashioned way, and don't try to game the mod or setup or whatever.

This, at first glance, appears to be you harping on a small detail just to appear to be putting in effort.

Correct. I couldnt care less about the theme or its implications so long as they arent gameplay.

Lets kill something

I also think worrying too much about canon might be destructive to the group though

Thank you, this is exactly the point I was trying to make. Looking at houses won't help anyone.

Interesting point about Dice just trying to appear helpful, too... That seems like a distinct possibility.

Yikes, please no. I'm no Hufflepuff. I'm advocating for fairness because it's best for everyone, therefore the best thing I can do to help town at present. I'm more of a Slytherin, though I dip into a Ravenclaw mindset on occasion. And no, that's not a crumb - I'm talking about myself, not my character. The best way to get the best outcome for myself is to work together with everyone else in order to eliminate those who are trying to kill me. The most selfish option just so happens to also be the most selfless option. Don't mistake me for some kind of goody two shoes... If there was a button I could press to kill everyone else and get a solo win, I'd press that sucker in a heartbeat c:

How do you know this?  The OP speaks to the squad having basically infiltrated our ranks, but nothing about a specific snitch AND a squad (scum team).

@Dar, care to discuss?

Dar, what about polyjuice potion? I know it breaks about 50 school rules and Umbridge wouldn't have a problem with putting students in danger to accomplish her goals. But what if some of the Inquisitorial Squad have taken some of the potion of whoever betrayed us and infiltrated the DA?

As I previously stated, there is potential for polyjuice potion especially since scum have false name claims. As stated in the OP, we have been betrayed which speaks to a snitch.

@Dar, care to discuss?

Dar, what about polyjuice potion? I know it breaks about 50 school rules and Umbridge wouldn't have a problem with putting students in danger to accomplish her goals. But what if some of the Inquisitorial Squad have taken some of the potion of whoever betrayed us and infiltrated the DA?

As I previously stated, there is potential for polyjuice potion especially since scum have false name claims. As stated in the OP, we have been betrayed which speaks to a snitch.

???

This is still mafia - the town versus the scum team.  The OP clearly shows we have been infiltrated (by the scum team), so this is pointless discussion about polyjuice and the rest.  The townies need to find the mafia.  The mafia need to kill the townies.  Until we know there is more to this game than that, all this does is serve to distract from our primary objective:  hunt scum and lynch them.  A snitch would be scum.  The squad would be scum.  Nomenclature is irrelevant - just lynch the bad guys.

@Dar, care to discuss?

With that, you pocket your coin and join in on the practice. This is harder work than you first imagined, but it feels good to go actual magic again, outside of Umbridge's ban on casting actual spells. As time goes by, everyone in the DA seems to be moving along well with their practice, and we all have a firm grasp on at least the basics of each spell.

It wasn't destined to last though....

It was a normal day of practice, or so it seemed, but there was something ominous in the air today.

Just as someone cast "reducto!" a booming crash sounded throughout the room, and the safely barred door splintered. We don't know how, but they have found us.

As the door was rammed again, a hole opened up in the floor, dropping everyone into a tunnel that took us deep beneath the castle.

The Room of Requirement was trying to save us!!

Landing all in a heap at the bottom of this winding tunnel, in the belly of the castle where it seemed no one had been for years, Harry Potter

stood up and announced, "someone has betrayed us!" With that, everyone jumped to their feet and started looking suspiciously

at those who minutes ago had been your most trusted of friends. Unfortunately, no one was wearing a sign that read

!!!!TRAITOR!!!!

We were going to have to use other means to find out who among us was working for Umbridge. In the mean time, we need to explore this place...

Verb, we know the Squad is out to get us. However, it requires a traitor for them to find us. See Harry's comment, above (purple, underlined, bold).

See also the orange underlined sentence. 

That is what led me to believe there is at least one snitch and it was someone we trusted as a member of Dumbledore's Army. So my assumption was at least one snitch and at least 2 Squad members.

At the very least it seemed like a place to start. 

Note to self of spells used and all available spells

day 1 spells used:

1. Turin Turambar-Accio. got Slytherin small chest

2. Lessa Nikia- Alohomora. got the Slytherin large chest

3. ed2funy- Wingardium levioso

4. Elgee- 

5. Rhea- Alohomora

6. Devil's Advocate- Accio. got Hufflepuff small chest

7. Verbal32- Accio

8. LedZepMan: alohomora on slytherin door

9. Gentled Ben (mentor: Nynaeve): confundo on troll: tried Alohomora (*)

10. dicetosser1: finite incantatum on fire(and troll...whoops)

11. Dar'Jen Ab Owain- Alohomora on Hufflepuff door

12. Darthe- Wingardium levioso

13. Daruya: lumos 

14. Charis sedai- 

So unless I have made an error then only Elgee and Charis have spell available to them. 

List of Spells:

Accio - summons an object within sight to the group's location

Alohomora - unlocks doors and chests

Bombarda - creates a small explosion

Confundo - causes the target to become confused and befuddled

Finitie Incantatem - terminates all spell effects in the vicinity of the caster

Lumos - creates a narrow beam of light that shines from the wand's tip

Protego - protects the group from minor to moderate jinxes, curses, and hexes

Reparo - reassembles a shattered object

Silencio - silences a target

Wingardium Leviosa - levitates, moves, and manipulates distant targets

Any loot received through this process will not be publicly revealed, though the recipient will be known.  Players are free to claim, lie, or remain silent about what they have received.

I'm confused. 

This all sounds like a lot of WIFOM. 

@Dar, care to discuss?

With that, you pocket your coin and join in on the practice. This is harder work than you first imagined, but it feels good to go actual magic again, outside of Umbridge's ban on casting actual spells. As time goes by, everyone in the DA seems to be moving along well with their practice, and we all have a firm grasp on at least the basics of each spell.

It wasn't destined to last though....

It was a normal day of practice, or so it seemed, but there was something ominous in the air today.

Just as someone cast "reducto!" a booming crash sounded throughout the room, and the safely barred door splintered. We don't know how, but they have found us.

As the door was rammed again, a hole opened up in the floor, dropping everyone into a tunnel that took us deep beneath the castle.

The Room of Requirement was trying to save us!!

Landing all in a heap at the bottom of this winding tunnel, in the belly of the castle where it seemed no one had been for years, Harry Potter

stood up and announced, "someone has betrayed us!" With that, everyone jumped to their feet and started looking suspiciously

at those who minutes ago had been your most trusted of friends. Unfortunately, no one was wearing a sign that read

!!!!TRAITOR!!!!

We were going to have to use other means to find out who among us was working for Umbridge. In the mean time, we need to explore this place...

Verb, we know the Squad is out to get us. However, it requires a traitor for them to find us. See Harry's comment, above (purple, underlined, bold).

See also the orange underlined sentence. 

That is what led me to believe there is at least one snitch and it was someone we trusted as a member of Dumbledore's Army. So my assumption was at least one snitch and at least 2 Squad members.

At the very least it seemed like a place to start. 

Dar, I don't understand. If it requires a traitor for them to find us it sounds to me like you are saying a townie will flip. Is that even possible?

Seriously, I am confused. 

I understand Dar and some others looking a little too hard into the flavour of the game and trying to utilize that in a way to search. I do agree with Verbal however that in general it is somewhat counter productive and may be used by mafia as a place to hide in the conversation. I think we would do well to look more at actions. 

My problem with Zep and his choice to explore Slytherin first is that the objects in Slytherin I thought would be more likely to be nefarious in nature and would be items the mafia might be eager to get their hands on. I'm not gonna ask Lessa to divulge her item and at present I am not going to reveal mine. I still believe my original hypothesis. The fact that his story about why he selected Slytherin first changed twice and ended up as stated it was for the lulz is sketchy to me. 

This game is not necessarily the same as the book or film. In there it is clear that Cho was the unwilling leak due to Umbridge using veritas serum on her. So flavour wise I would expect the mafia team to be from the pool of Umbridge, Cho, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Filch. Names are unimportant tho since we KNOW that the mafia have fake claims and since there are many people in the DA that those fakes will most likely be very good. possibly even one of the big three. 

So let's take a step back and focus people. 

I'm glad I didn't sign up for this. I have no clue what's happening.

You may not know this James but unless you are in the game you really shouldn't post in the thread. 

No harm done, and you might want to ask Adella for the dead thread link and then you can follow from there. It is in the sign up thread.  :smile:

I agree with Turin, the first choice to go through the Slytherin door was sketchy. I said that a few posts ago. But I'm not sure that is reason enough to go after Zep. 

Is the deadline tonight?

Note to self of spells used and all available spells

day 1 spells used:

1. Turin Turambar-Accio. got Slytherin small chest

2. Lessa Nikia- Alohomora. got the Slytherin large chest

3. ed2funy- Wingardium levioso

4. Elgee- 

5. Rhea- Alohomora

6. Devil's Advocate- Accio. got Hufflepuff small chest

7. Verbal32- Accio

8. LedZepMan: alohomora on slytherin door

9. Gentled Ben (mentor: Nynaeve): confundo on troll: tried Alohomora (*)

10. dicetosser1: finite incantatum on fire(and troll...whoops)

11. Dar'Jen Ab Owain- Alohomora on Hufflepuff door

12. Darthe- Wingardium levioso

13. Daruya: lumos 

14. Charis sedai- 

So unless I have made an error then only Elgee and Charis have spell available to them. 

List of Spells:

Accio - summons an object within sight to the group's location

Alohomora - unlocks doors and chests

Bombarda - creates a small explosion

Confundo - causes the target to become confused and befuddled

Finitie Incantatem - terminates all spell effects in the vicinity of the caster

Lumos - creates a narrow beam of light that shines from the wand's tip

Protego - protects the group from minor to moderate jinxes, curses, and hexes

Reparo - reassembles a shattered object

Silencio - silences a target

Wingardium Leviosa - levitates, moves, and manipulates distant targets

Any loot received through this process will not be publicly revealed, though the recipient will be known.  Players are free to claim, lie, or remain silent about what they have received.

I do indeed still have a spell available - just not sure if there's anything I can use it on! I'm a bit lost in this game. Going to do a quick skim re-read now to try and gather my thoughts.

Lets kill something

I like where your head is at......which is weird, because I normally prefer your head to be rolling on the ground after it has been removed from your body. ;-)

Me too Verb. Me too