DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

December Roll Call

Niniel

Love-Heart-Fireworks-640x400.jpg

December is full of holidays - Chanukah, Christmas, Yule, New Years... For many of us it means that we will be free from work or school and get to spend time with family and friends. This month you get 5 points for signing in and 5 additional points for telling us about a holiday memory. It can be a happy, sad or funny memory. 

Post only once! 

I will probably never forget the Christmas that we spent with my Uncle and his family. I was maybe 18 or 19. I had complained to my family that they never gave me any books for Christmas. They listened to me and that year I got books from everyone. I think I got 10 books! I was a very happy Tina. Christmas Day I woke up by my cousin that was maybe 4 years old. He had gotten a Michael Jackson album and he loved listening to Black or White. Of course he didn´t know any English so the only thing he could sing was "I´m black and white - oh." He sang it again and again. He started at 6 AM and probably sang it for two or three hours. It was both cute and annoying. I couldn´t go back to sleep. Luckily I had gotten all those books so I read all morning. :)

One of my favorite Christmas memories:

I was always so impatient for the clock to hit midnight on the 24th so that we could open our gifts. I would incessantly ask what time it was and would bounce around waiting for that faithful hour, sometimes reading Archie comics and often watching great holiday movies and television to pass the time that seemed to stretch forever. One year though I fell asleep on the couch while reading one of the comics. And what magical thing happened? I woke up and there it was. Midnight. I have slept at least a couple of hours and time had magically moved forward. Woke up, ate some quick dessert, and then it was already time for gifts! :smile: Fun memory.

Saint Nicholas day (the 6th) is a popular holiday in the Netherlands... It's about the same as Christmas in the USA.

Holiday memory... Well, holidays are always the days you remember most, right? I think some of my favorite memories are from New Year's Eve. Every year, the last week, there is a hitlist (if that's the correct word) of the 2000 best songs ever made on the radio. It was first done in 1999, on the eve of 2000 (hence 2000 songs), and nearly everyone (including me) listens to that radio station then. Just hearing those songs, with at the background the fireworks, and eating the New Year's Eve's classic food gives such a nice, pleasant feeling.

Present!

One winter, there was not snow and we were desperate to go sliding with slades (I was around 5 years or so) and I will never forget how on Christmas eve it started snowing, so the next morning, apart from presents under the Christmas tree, we immediately went out with my mother and father and our neighbours as well. The grown-ups built two forts and everyone had a huge snowball fight. I have never seen adults laughing so much along with their kids. Those were the days :smile:

mom didn't really try to fake Santa for me and I never slept so when she told me Santa would show up once I fell asleep I lay in wait all night till she gave up and put the presents out and went to sleep herself. being Jewish it didn't really matter. saved a bunch on the tooth fairy too.

• Community Administrator

Here!

My favorite Christmas memory is when my husband proposed to me. We spent Christmas Eve at his Grandmother's house then when back to out apartment Christmas morning. We wanted to exchange gifts with each other before going to my mother's house. I gave him his gift--I can't remember what--and then he asked me to go out on the back porch. He told me that since our relationship stared on that porch--we had hung out as friends a few times, but it was on the porch where I admitted I liked him and we started dating--it seemed fitting to move to the next level on the porch as well. It was very cute and sweet!

I'm here...

As for a favorite memory I guess one that stands out is when it snowed on Christmas Eve. It gets cold here but the altitude and temprature where I live make for very rare snow. One year, probably when I was 14 or 15, it was cold enough that there was a very thin layer of snow which barely covered the ground but still provided an image of a white Christmas.

Here.

I don't really remember that many specific Christmases. They sort of blend together. The ones I remember the best are ones that were out of ordinary, like the one Christmas as a really small kid when I was sick and pretty much bedridden through the whole thing, and the first Christmas with my first boyfriend (10 years back now) and it wasn't the first time he met my parents but it was the first occasion we were spending any amount of time with them and he was scared shitless of my dad because he'd had bad experiences with a previous girlfriend's dad and it was all kinds of stressful.

So I prefer the ordinary Christmases that, in memory, blend into this general Christmas experience.

We don't have any festival this time of the year so Christmas memory is going to be hard to think of. Probably it is during that Christmas play when I couldn't bring any effects to my voice (only got the role because teacher wanted someone who could learn that fast) and my friend brought up weird ways to help me

Here!

So other than wonderful memories of my kids, I will never forget a christmas when I was a sophomore in high school (grade 10). My family had a German exchange student living with us that year and My brothers and the exchange student and I were all decorating the tree. My mom had set up a camera to film it. My brothers and Florian sat on the couch and drank all of our soda - straight out of the 2 liter bottles in protest of the camera. The camera was set up behind the couch, so all you can see were the backs of their heads and the huge bottles of pop. Then we my mom finally got us all decorating, our cat was growling at my little brother, he was freaking out yelling for my mom to come and rescue him (he was in 8th grade). My mom told him to quit being a baby, the cat wouldn't just attack him for no reason, and then on the camera you just hear a RAWR and see a flying cat land on my brother's shoulder and him screaming like a girl!!! Hahahaha best christmas ever. Still cracks me up thinking about it. 

here!!!!   i loved getting together as a kid with all the extended family and playing with cousins and watching christmas shows, now all my christmas joy comes from seeing how happy my kids are at christmas time  :happy:

My favorite memory of the moment hit me a couple of days ago at Thanksgiving.  My parents divorced early in life, and I would always go and take a plate to my Dad, because I was his only family.  This is the first year he's not with me, so it was tough.  But I used to love watching him get excited for what I would bring.

I remember helping wrap my grandparents wrap the presents they bought for my parents. One year it was a stero system and they didn't have paper that was thick or strong enough, so they used left over wallpaper. It was a cream type colour, and I got to decorate it! After they had wrapped this huge box I drew holly and christmas trees and stars and other christmasy stuff all over it!

HERE! 

Some of my favorite holiday memories are picking out and decorating the Christmas tree with my family, one year in particular we had some kind of Dark Friend rodent in the tree, and it jumped out and hid in our house when we were decorating. It scared the heck out of me when it jumped out of the tree though, it must have been part flying squirrel or something cause that sucker got some air and distance. I was the closest one to it.

I would have to say my favorite Christmases were spent at work. The first in Colorado, where I was snowed in and worked 30 hours straight, and loving every minute of it. I had 2 other WoTheads at work with me that day and we kept our spirits up discussing the series to that point (2006). And the other was spent in Afghanistan, where I got my only day off in a 7 month span. Sad that my favorite ones come while working, but I was doing what I loved, with people that shared my passions.

Archived