DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

And TWoD is a different world entirely, so maybe Rand/LT, like the Hunters, will be there until incarnated when the world needs him most. Maybe that's what the goodbye was for, realizing he won't be back if he closes the bore?
I've only read the series for two years now, and have read more posts than I posted by far, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I cant remember which book, but Rand said he remembered many lives even one as a beggar.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's intentionally misleading. Mat wouldn't join the Seanchan, he would eat his hat before fighting and collaring non-DF channelers. 

Probably referring to Dreadlords or a non-battle situation. Like a group of Aiel Wise ones, or Windfinders, or Kinsowmen (any group), but most likely Aiel considering all things, refusing to help the Seanchan in an attack or defence, so Mat says he will sort them out ala.. Sea Folk bargain 

I think the answer is that Matt is accompanying the Seanchan as they face off against the White Tower, and he is going to go sort out a peace deal with Egwene diplomatically. Whats more- he could be referring to the Aea Sedai AND to Tuon... assuming he and she have found out she can channel. He's going to 'deal' with them = he's going to bring them to their senses.  This doesnt imply he's turned cloaks or intends to fight Egwene, just that he happens to be with the Seanchan on a mission to bring them into the fold for the LB and has to broker a peace to make that happen.

I don't see why people are disbelieving Mat "converting" to the Seanchan. I think he will take the reins of the army without changing his morals, "converting" without changing anything. Mat (or Rand. Or Perrin. Or Nynaeve. Or the entire damn Two Rivers) is nothing if not stubborn; I don't think he would drastically change his personality on the command of Tuon (screw Fortuona. Why change her name so late in the series?).

I like the thoughts on the different interpretations of "dealing with". I like mbuehner's idea above that this is him preparing to stop a WT-Seanchan battle. WIth Tuon ordering another attack, we could see an interruption of FoM for people to defend the Tower. There would be a battle, confirming the second raven in Egwene's dream, but Mat difuses the situation as soon as he gets there. It could be that they are talking about the IDEA of marath'damane, about changing the ingrained hatred the Seanchan have for them in some way. He "deals" with the channelers (note that it's channelers, not Aes Sedai) by freeing damane and announcing that sul'dam can learn to channel. He finally convinces Tuon on his morals somehow and this is him beginning to enact the change.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Mat could be convinced that collaring Marath'damane is better than having channelers wandering loose.  As much as he sees himself as a protector of people, including Aes Sedai or channelers, he could easily be convinced that people need protection from channelers.  If he spent time with damane and sees them as happy and content in their positions, I could believe that he may be convinced that long term the Seanchan way is for the best.

Of course, that would be a slow transition, so I don't expect it over the course of this book.  If there were going to be outrigger novels I would fully expect it.  This particular quote is almost definitely Mat saying he will deal with them in the same way he has dealt with Aes Sedai in the past: perhaps he will spank their bottoms?  Also, I expect it is Mat talking to a Karede or Musenge or someone of similiar rank in a command spot of the Seanchan armies.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Mat could be convinced that collaring Marath'damane is better than having channelers wandering loose.  As much as he sees himself as a protector of people, including Aes Sedai or channelers, he could easily be convinced that people need protection from channelers. 

You have to be joking. There is not a chance in hell the above ever happens with Mat. He would never, ever, not in a gazillion turnings of the wheel ascribe to making someone less than human as the Seanchan do with Damane. What about his character would possibly make you think something so absurd?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Mat could be convinced that collaring Marath'damane is better than having channelers wandering loose.  As much as he sees himself as a protector of people, including Aes Sedai or channelers, he could easily be convinced that people need protection from channelers. 

You have to be joking. There is not a chance in hell the above ever happens with Mat. He would never, ever, not in a gazillion turnings of the wheel ascribe to making someone less than human as the Seanchan do with Damane. What about his character would possibly make you think something so absurd?

My feelings are between you both.  I tend to agree that Mat wouldn't put up with that at all.  After all, he did go back to free the collared Aes Sedai for that very reason.  On the other hand, his brushing off of the fact that Tuon is a slave owner has soured me since the moment they met.  I refuse to accept that this shouldn't be a major issue between them that's at the forefront of their contact pretty much at all times, and likewise in his POV when he's thinking about her.  Generally, his attitude just seems to be "Yeah, we'll have to deal with that sooner or later".  Blase'.  I know that culture clash is a big element in WOT, but their whole courtship felt very contrived to me.

Mat is telling his bald bride that he will be right back, he's going to go "handle" these unleashed heathens. He goes to the WT, finds the horns, blows it, and has Hawkwing put a generational boot up the Sanchean's collective asses. How could they handle the man they have built their entire civilization on taking orders FROM and marching into battle FOR Mat? What battle could possibly happen? Who could call themselves Sanchean and ride into battle against Hawkwing? They would go mad at the thought.

My feelings are between you both.  I tend to agree that Mat wouldn't put up with that at all.  After all, he did go back to free the collared Aes Sedai for that very reason.  On the other hand, his brushing off of the fact that Tuon is a slave owner has soured me since the moment they met.  I refuse to accept that this shouldn't be a major issue between them that's at the forefront of their contact pretty much at all times, and likewise in his POV when he's thinking about her.  Generally, his attitude just seems to be "Yeah, we'll have to deal with that sooner or later".  Blase'.  I know that culture clash is a big element in WOT, but their whole courtship felt very contrived to me.

With Suttree on this,

Mat would never agree to collaring AS, he's far to loyal to Nyn and Eg (and possibly Elayne now as well). 

I can see Mat ignoring the hard stuff, he knows that he has to marry Tuon and that its going to happen whatever he does (he may not be right to think this, but he does), better to get to know each other then deal with the stuff that needs doing.  As of ToM (possibly GS) we know that he's not ignoring the issue and is trying to think of a way to deal with it.

I for one can see the Mat quote as a bluff. He says he'll handle them personally and the Seanchan person thinks, "Watch out. We got a badass over here." But instead he'll try the classic Mat Cauthon diplomatic approach which may or may not involve taking another Aes Sedai over the knee for a good spanking.

Day 12: Leroy Jenkins. Haha for some reason the "Enough Talk" just reminded me of that video.

On a serious note, agreed with above.

I did not think of that AT ALL.  You sir, have a strange mind to make that connection.

Imagine that guy in bed. He wouldn't scream his partner's name; he'd scream his own!  :laugh:  LEEEERRROYYYYYY JEEEENKIIINSSSSS! 

A serious guess: Avi  or Tuon.

It doesn't fit as something Min would say. If it was "bed me now woolhead" then we would know it was her.

EDIT: A Nyn/Lan reunion...?

This doesn't work. Lan doesn't talk enough.

Either Tuon to Mat, or Avi to Rand..

agreed. Don't see any other options.  Tuon to Mat would be hilarious. he always ends up being bossed around in bed by his lovers. This would fit right in. It sounds  a bit more like Avi to Rand however.

I'm thinking that this latest "Memories of Light" is most likely Aviendha speaking to Rand al`Thor.

However, this could be Tuon talking to Mat, but this does not sound like how she would talk.. even in the two books written by Brandon Sanderson.

Archived