DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

@yoniy0 I haven't considered that possibility but I find it unlikely too. I doubt very much that Mat would let anybody other than Tuon bond him. Given Mat's medallion it would have to be done with his consent.

Eh, there are plausible situations in which Mat's medallion would be removed.  In tFoH Moiraine asks him to remove it to be healed.  Perhaps there is a situation such as Caemlyn where he gets badly injured and needs to be healed by an Aes Sedai to live, that hussy then heals him and bonds him while doing so.

Not that I think this is what goes down, just a plausible explanation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nothing but another bandage.

I was going to say that exact same thing. It will be very interesting to count the number of things in AMoL that are reactions to fan outcry around parts of TGS and ToM. Egwene's stance on seals, Mat's letter etc.

I know I did my own share of crying out, but I honestly think it would have been better for BS to stick to his guns instead of making AMOL an apology tour for minor details such as Mat's penmanship, the taste of wines etc.

In the grand scheme of things whether its a bandage or not is completely irrelevant to the story; whether Mat really had horrid penmanship and now writes better because he's accepted his place as Prince of Ravens, or Brandon screwed up and he wasn't supposed to be bad and is fixing it, has nothing to do with the outcome of the story.  I for one chose to accept it as face value, and that something in the story prompted him to improve his writing.

I agree that this is probably a letter to Elayne to explain why he left to go to Tuon, et cetera, probably post FoM.

Hmm, let's see

"Pass his bond to me." (Sentence from aMoL)

Either someone talking to Alanna- though at this point I think it's rather too late for one of them to take her bond over- or someone actually managed to bond Mat and Tuon wants it.

Wow, imagine that Elaida spilled bonding as one of her secrets (though she might not even know how it is actually done), somehow bonds Mat through her suldam (Tuon?), and then Tuon demands the bond back!

@memory 9

I hoped that after 13 books with a complete absence of reasonable communication, and a meeting set for the FOM, our hero's would finally realize that it's oh so practical to simply talk to each other... and then they're still sending letters right before the end of the world?!?!?

To me - this is big Mo telling Alanna to pass Rands bond to her, before they do their thing at Shayol Ghul.  However on second thought, I recall vaguely Mo said the finns told her not to bond Rand, or something like that.   

Oh, I like that. That makes sense. But how to account for Machin Shin? A group as large as that would naturally draw MS to them and they would lose most, if not all.

What if Loial finds some way to "cure" the Ways? Loial has been a little short of Crowning Moments of Awesome in the second half for someone so integral in the beginning. This is doubtful, since there has been little foreshadowing, but still.

Well, when lumped in with the presumably Loial moment of talking to marriage with Perrin, it makes me really think this is very very likely. Just opinion of course, I won't know for a smidge over a month. As for the ways, we've not heard of them in forever, not since the taint was cleaned (god that really does sound awful doesn't it?). And as well, we have Rand hurling fire into its midst in the great hunt, and what not with Ordieth. So there is no telling what they are like now, possibly clean? That'd be a neat plot point clreared up easily enough. But I ramble....who knows, guess we will just have to wait and see! :D

As for the ways, we've not heard of them in forever, not since the taint was cleaned (god that really does sound awful doesn't it?). And as well, we have Rand hurling fire into its midst in the great hunt, and what not with Ordieth. So there is no telling what they are like now, possibly clean?

We know per RJ that they are not clean...

As for the ways, we've not heard of them in forever, not since the taint was cleaned (god that really does sound awful doesn't it?). And as well, we have Rand hurling fire into its midst in the great hunt, and what not with Ordieth. So there is no telling what they are like now, possibly clean?

We know per RJ that they are not clean...

Darn. There goes that thought. Still...I could see it being the ogier coming through the ways..

Sometimes the band-aid is worse than the cut...  What a way to break the suspension of disbelief... Although I suppose I'll be glad if this means that aMoL's Mat is less of a cardboard cutout than the Mat of the last two books.

I keep thinking that Ituralde can channel, what with his weather-wise, etc., and wonder if he realizes this at Maradon.  He still has the ability to channel, (it wasn't his imagination brought on by stress or something), but no one else does, which would be a VERY big help for him.  I also think that Bashere having some sort of anti-DF detection ter'angreal is interesting, even if I don't really see how that would work.

Mat's letter to Elayne is probably telling her that Talmanes is in command for a while and that he wants as much of the Band and Dragons free for the Last Battle, mentioning that he has a little appointment he wants to go to first. Bandage or not; I hope it sounds "right." I just hope that Mat and Rand meet in Merrilor; and Rand assigns some Asha'man to Mat (the Illian contingent!). The HoV and Illian are foreshadowed; and Mat would be the one to go there.

Egwene frozen glass pillar might have something to do with sealing/fixing the seal of the DO's prison. Rand might interpret it for her.

Ituralde and the Ways are probably an exit from another trap he's fallen into. He escaped the Seanchan via Rand, Maradon via Rand, and now somewhere else without Rand.

To me - this is big Mo telling Alanna to pass Rands bond to her, before they do their thing at Shayol Ghul.  However on second thought, I recall vaguely Mo said the finns told her not to bond Rand, or something like that.   

I recall vaguely Mo said the finns told her not to bon* Rand (*Try the next letter in the alphabet :wink:  )

I recall vaguely Mo said the finns told her not to bon* Rand (*Try the next letter in the alphabet :wink:  )

Not to bpn Rand? Not to bom Rand? :P

It wasn't the finns it was the rings in Rhuidean, and they showed her that bedding Rand would be a disaster, not bonding him.

@yoniy0 I haven't considered that possibility but I find it unlikely too. I doubt very much that Mat would let anybody other than Tuon bond him. Given Mat's medallion it would have to be done with his consent.

Eh, there are plausible situations in which Mat's medallion would be removed.  In tFoH Moiraine asks him to remove it to be healed.  Perhaps there is a situation such as Caemlyn where he gets badly injured and needs to be healed by an Aes Sedai to live, that hussy then heals him and bonds him while doing so.

Not that I think this is what goes down, just a plausible explanation.

possible but still unlikely IMO. There aren't many Aes Sedai who would bond a man against his will. They would likely have to be Green too. The only person who fits is Joline IMO. That would be really funny but I seriously doubt we'll see her again.

I don't think Moriaine would do it to Mat in such situation for example. I could see her maybe bonding him to save his life but that particular trick was only recently used on Gawyn and will likely be needed for Rand if he dies and is pushed out of TAR by Nyn. The same thing happening to Mat would be overdoing it.

I can see that you guys are trying to fit Mat for "pass his bond to me" memory but I really don't think it will be him.

All that said, there are definitely hints that Tuon will bond Mat eventually. Nalesean asked Mat about becoming a warder once (LoC, ch 22) and more recently (ToM, ch 57)  Mat insisted that he would never be one a little too much.

Mat's letter to Elayne is probably telling her that Talmanes is in command for a while and that he wants as much of the Band and Dragons free for the Last Battle, mentioning that he has a little appointment he wants to go to first. Bandage or not; I hope it sounds "right." I just hope that Mat and Rand meet in Merrilor; and Rand assigns some Asha'man to Mat (the Illian contingent!). The HoV and Illian are foreshadowed; and Mat would be the one to go there.

Which foreshadowing do you mean? There were straight out statements in early books linking the Horn to Illian (they do seem to be completely forgotten in later books) but I don't recall any foreshadowings.

Nakomi related, perhaps?

that's what I was thinking too. But whatever it is I find the whole quote very confusing. It looks like somebody just died in TAR and disappeared from it which is why the speaker addresses the air. But why add "Unitil I dream again"? what does that mean?

Wild shot--Cyndane? The entire thing could be catty....

The Dragon faded from sight.

"And farewell to you, old friend," she said to the air. "Until I dream again."

She smiled, coldly.

Now, this would be interesting. "Old friend" doesn't seem like something Mierin would call Rand though.

Nakomi related, perhaps?

that's what I was thinking too. But whatever it is I find the whole quote very confusing. It looks like somebody just died in TAR and disappeared from it which is why the speaker addresses the air. But why add "Unitil I dream again"? what does that mean?

Life is a dream which they must wake for an Aiel so "Until I dream again" = "Until I am reborn again".

It's nothing but another bandage.

And an awful one at that, insinuating that being in a hurry can make you forget how to spell.  Still not buying...

I was just wondering if the reason he 'couldn't spell' was a deliberate attempt to try and get Elayne to feel sorry for him? Provoke a certain reaction from the letter? In the same way Rand tries to get Elayne mad in Chapter 2 of AMoL? Or is it confirmed that the letter was a mistake.

Nakomi related, perhaps?

Life is a dream which they must wake for an Aiel so "Until I dream again" = "Until I am reborn again".

That doesn't fit. Why would the speaker expect to meet whoever just died when the speaker is reborn?

Archived