DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, as I recall Thom hadn't even known that the land east of the Waste was called Shara. I believe Elayne told him on their journey from Tear to Tanchico in TSR.

To my mind, it has got to be Jain/Noal's son- who that might be I can only speculate. With the addition of the Nalaam theory, I can certainly see that being Jain's son. But my gut still tells me this is Androl and Pevara. Could be completely wrong, of course!

3rd one is out:

"Being married is not so bad, Perrin. Why didn't you tell me it was not so bad? I think I am rather fond of it."

I think this is Loial, pretty self explanatory.

having said that it could be Mat at a long shot, maybe him and Tuon get some alone time?

Day 4 is out:

"Pass his bond to me."

I was thinking either that Nynaeve or Moiraine will pass their bonds to someone else before they go to Shayol Ghul (so as not to give Thom or Lan a potential death sentence), or Alanna will be forced to give up her bond to Rand... Other possibility is that Pevara / Androl try to undo the double bond by passing her bond to someone else.

hey DM is up! still very slow though.

@Sentinel. don't see it being either Moiriane or Nyn. They would be going to SG under the assumption that if they fail, it will be the end of everything and so it would make no difference who holds the bonds of their warders.

The obvious (doesn't mean it's correct) possibility this being Alanna being told to pass Rand's bond by somebody. Would be really interesting if this was one of the Dark siders like Lanfear, who might be hoping to be able to control Rand through the bond even if Alanna can not. He is supposed to serve Lanfear according to the first Dark prophecy. And if he gets Elayne's dagger that hides him from the Shadow as he likely will based on  the AMOL cover they might not another way to find him other than through the bond. The problem with this is that none of the Dark Siders would be guaranteed to be able to control Rand through the bond so this would be very risky. Plus, it would let Rand zero in on their location. Also very risky unless it's a part of trap.

Could be one of the Light Siders like Egwene. She might think that should could influence Rand through the bond and change his mind about destroying the Seals.

@vimpirate a dying Alanna is an interesting possibility. However, if she is dying and has another Aes Sedai next to her why would that Aes Sedai not Heal her herself or try to get somebody else to Heal her?

I am kinda thinkign that it is Moraine trying to get the bond passed to her for some reason, maybee its from alana right before they go down to the pit. As for the one from yesterday i think it is deff Loial. He seems to be the only person in the series that would talk that way so it kinda makes sense to me for sure

I think the bonding one is too obvious to be alanna or otherwise its some sort of twist.

Also i dont get why 90% of the people here think its the fat man angreal? is there something i missed, but why would it be important that nobody knew rand had a fat man angreal when people in the past knew he had it and half of them knew he had the choden kal and callandor so why would it be important no one knew he didnt have the fat man angreal?

i pretty much rule nyneave and egwenes bond to there men 100% out nyneave had that whole sequence with i forget which aes sedai about not wanting the pain to be healed with ebon hopwill so i think she would want to experience his death and grieve.

@NitroS I don't think it's anything like 90% of ppl who think that memory #1 means the fat man angreal in Rand's possession. It could be but there are many other possibilities. I don't see anything strange in him wanting to keep it a secret, however. Rand never advertized having it in the past and it would certainly be good to have it as an unanticipated edge in a confrontation with the Forsaken for example. Rand keeps plenty of other things secret too. Also, unlike all the other angreal mentioned thus far, the fat man angreal need not be touched to be used so Rand could have just had it in his pocket at Maradon. The main problem with this theory is that Rand seemingly didn't know where the fat man was. He looked for it after Dumai's Wells but couldn't find it. How would he suddenly find out where it is? The only possibility I can think of is that Verin told him where it was in the letter. But then, I don't see how Verin would know where it was either. It's much more likely that Demandred has the fat man IMO.

@NitroS I don't think it's anything like 90% of ppl who think that memory #1 means the fat man angreal in Rand's possession. It could be but there are many other possibilities. I don't see anything strange in him wanting to keep it a secret, however. Rand never advertized having it in the past and it would certainly be good to have it as an unanticipated edge in a confrontation with the Forsaken for example. Rand keeps plenty of other things secret too. Also, unlike all the other angreal mentioned thus far, the fat man angreal need not be touched to be used so Rand could have just had it in his pocket at Maradon. The main problem with this theory is that Rand seemingly didn't know where the fat man was. He looked for it after Dumai's Wells but couldn't find it. How would he suddenly find out where it is? The only possibility I can think of is that Verin told him where it was in the letter. But then, I don't see how Verin would know where it was either. It's much more likely that Demandred has the fat man IMO.

Yeah, I have been reading people who say there's no reason Rand would want to keep it secret, and it gives me funny images of Rand walking stiff legged through a battlefield, hand in his pocket, with Callandor shoved down his pant's leg :laugh:

The idea that it wouldn't matter against any of the remaining Forsaken because Rand is more powerful anyway doesn't seem a great argument. Moridin at least is still probably pretty close to Rand in power, and who knows what advantage the TP gives over like strength channerlers. And brute strength in the OP doesn't always assure victory. There is one or two Forsaken left that could make a OP duel interesting with Rand, most likely. But most importantly, I am sure Rand would love to have an angreal wielding Forsaken think that he is unarmed and ripe for the crisping only to find Rand has an extra boost, too.

Do I think any of those things is going to happen in aMoL? Not so much. I doubt the quote itself even has to do with the fat man. But just for reasoning sake, there are plenty of reasons Rand would want to keep it secret.

As for the bonding one, my first thought on reading it was Egwene getting Rand's bond from Alanna. I don't see a clear path for Egwene getting the bond from Alanna, though. My thought was mainly from the foreshadowing in tEotW. With so many of the interpersonal dynamics resolving themselves, it seems like Rand vs. Egs is one of the last major ones we have left. So Egs getting his bond could have interesting repurcussions with the thick smattering of foreshadowing that was Egs Accepted test. And also, as I said, this tidbit from tEotW...

“There,” Egwene said as if it were settled. “I know. I will make you my Warder, when I’m an Aes Sedai. You would like being a Warder, wouldn’t you? My Warder?” She sounded sure, but he saw the question in her eyes. She wanted an answer, needed it.

“I’d like being your Warder,” he said.She’s not for you, nor you for her. Why did Min have to tell me that?

That said, rereading the series I am becoming more and more sure Alanna is Black, or that she is being blackmailed in some way. Much like Verin's arc, which looked so obvious once it was revealed, it seems like Alanna's actions only make sense in that way. These are characters in a book, after all, and no matter how much Jordan tried to mask it with complexity, there almost has to be a reason Alanna was with Verin in the Two Rivers(along with Verin's warning to Perrin), how Alanna just happened to wind up with Rand's bond, and now she's spirited off to Arafel or wherever right at this crucial moment.

You could almost suspect that Alanna as also a Black infiltrator, since it was Verin's letter that sent her running, but that doesn't feel right to me. I am wondering if Verin sent a letter to an Aes Sedai to specifically warn her about the potential weapon that Alanna holds with Rand's bond. and the line is from that Aes Sedai catching up to Alanna and taking the bond. But it seems like none of the obvious suspects to gain Rand's bond have gotten a letter. If this were the case, Verin's letter to Alanna may have been designed to scare Alanna into retreating and leading someone right to a cluster of Black sisters or a Forsaken pulling Alanna's strings.

Androl is Jain Farstrider's son.

Bamph! Thats good stuff. Is that something you had percolating Herid, or just hit you? Might explain a lot of Jain's actions, protecting his kid, especially if he found out he could channel.

I was thinking that this might be a possibility for a while. The main issue is that Androl is a Taraboner. But then I thought that after Jain's Malkieri wife died he was free to have kids with anybody else, so some woman from Tarabon is not out of the question.

Androl's too old to be a son of JF from a second marriage, I think. But he may well have been brought up in Tarabon even if he's Malkieri by descent.

Bonding didn't exist in the AOL, and I remember a scene where one or some of the forsaken remark(s) on how odd and inconvenient this invention seems to be for the AS herself (remember Semi's torture methods). I'm not so sure that Cyndane would want the bond willingly because of the same reasons, but she might be persuaded by Moridin. I'd rather imagine that Alviarin or another high-ranking black would press Alanna to pass Rand's bond.

The bond was unknown in the Age of Legends, and the Forsaken seemed to think it was amusing more than anything.  Perhaps that's changed recently, but as late as TPoD Moridin still thought of it as a trivial thing, so it doesn't surprise me that Lanfear never bonded Rand.

Edit:  just a note, I'm not thrilled that the page where you review/edit a message before posting it shows the beginning posts in the thread rather than the most recent ones

My first (rather insane) thought:

She was on her knees, face pressed against the scorching rocks of this terrifying place.

Alanna dared not move it an inch, despite her uncontrolable shaking and sobbing.

This was not how it was supposed to go! This wasn't what she had been promised!

She trembled in terror and her breath came only in ragged panting.

Her head was pulled back hard and she stared wild-eyed into an eyeless dead-white face.

Despite it having no eyes, she felt like she was staring straight into an endless abyss.

Had she any breath left, she would have screamed her lungs out.

"Pass his bond to me." commanded the Myrddraal in a voice, that sounded like rotten bone crumbling.

Archived