DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Wow yeah I jumped to thinking Jain Farstrider's son right away, but I never thought of Androl. Nice Herid.

Also considered that it might be Seanchan, as we have no idea what dealings there are between Seanchan and Shara, but we know in Aviendha's future visions that the "Ravens" (i.e., Seanchan) are building a train track between Randland and Shara.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ToM. Chapter 46, Working Leather: ""Makashak Na famalashten motkase," Nalaam mumbled, "delf takaksaki mere!" He laughed to himself, eyes wild. It wasn't a language Androl

knew—it wasn't the Old Tongue, that was for certain. It probably wasn't even a language at all. None of the others said anything. Nalaam occasionally cackled to himself in gibberish. If asked about it , he'd claim he'd spoken in plain ordinary words. The outburst seemed to discomfit Emarin and Jonneth a great deal."

Chapter 55, The One Left Behind: " I f you ever meet a Malkieri," Noal said, "you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

"I will, Jain," Mat said. "May the light hold you."

Noal turned back to face the Aelfinn and Mat left him. There was another boom as a nightflower went off. Then Mat heard Noal's voice echo down the corridor as he screamed a battlecry. It was not in any tongue Mat had ever heard."

Definitely not the Old Tongue, confirmed by Mat. Connected? Tenuous?

Yeah I think the wording should give us some info on the speaker, its rather idiosyncratic:

"I should like to hear one of your stories."

Not I would, I should. That adds a hint of obsequiousness I think.

"Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara?"

Your father and you? Dat some bad grammar.

If its Pevara, she's in a very different frame of mind than the prologue. It almost sounds Illianer. Another suspect- Bayle Doman? To Egeanin? Is there any word of Seanchan visiting Shara sailing West?

'your father and you'?

I'm not sure you have the same question mark as me here; but the expression just hurts my ear. It's a weird order, isn't it?

Knowing Sid it's the same...

Well, I thought perhaps it was something we could use to pin down who was speaking, like if people from a certain nation used an expression like that... For instance Mat's been known to say 'Perrin and me' and 'Rand and me' sometimes. But sadly, nobody's ever said 'your ____ and you', it's always been 'you and your ____'

It does sound extremely clumsy for it to be someone like Pevara, but it seems she's the most likely candidate. It could be really strange common Tarabon speaking (Aludra calls Thom 'you old one you'; Liandrin says something similar to a disguised Moghedien)

I really don't hear it. What's wrong about "your father and you"?

Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara?

Perhaps you could tell me of the time you and your father visited Shara?

The second is more proper I think. Sounds better anyway, maybe its a thin reed.

It says your father and you as it is a device to put the father as the signifanct person in the sentence. It's not nice English to read but it is actually an effective way of communicating when the emphasis is so clearly supposed to enhance the persona of 'your father'. Ordering it differently would make the father element secondary to the other pronoun.

I am not a fan of people saying that they should like to do something, it's an over used way of speaking by American authors who, quite frankly, have a different dialect to British people and don't necessarily appreciate the nuances of English, and for instance why we don't have a subjunctive.

Not a native English speaker here so I might be wrong on this but I think one natural reason to say "your father and you" would be if the person in question was much younger (perhaps a child) than his/her father at the time of the trip.

Not really, we don't have that sort of thing in English. It's not to do with formality it's a way of the character putting emphasis on the father part to draw attention to it and to distance the verb from the pronoun, it certainly is a common feature of our language. In my opinion - I hasten to add, like my last post was too - I'm Scottish and Oscar Wilde thought we and dubliners were the only ones left who spoke English properly. I don't have a degree though so don't quote me on it my evidence is anecdotal.

Hmm... interesting point. I think it should read Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father visited Shara with you? If he wanted to strongly demonstrate who's trip it was, implying its his story and not yours (perhaps you were too young to remember).

Regardless, I think the point is it stands out from the other prose in the series. Which could be meaningful.

ToM. Chapter 46, Working Leather: ""Makashak Na famalashten motkase," Nalaam mumbled, "delf takaksaki mere!" He laughed to himself, eyes wild. It wasn't a language Androl

knew—it wasn't the Old Tongue, that was for certain. It probably wasn't even a language at all. None of the others said anything. Nalaam occasionally cackled to himself in gibberish. If asked about it , he'd claim he'd spoken in plain ordinary words. The outburst seemed to discomfit Emarin and Jonneth a great deal."

Chapter 55, The One Left Behind: " I f you ever meet a Malkieri," Noal said, "you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

Noal turned back to face the Aelfinn and Mat left him. There was another boom as a nightflower went off. Then Mat heard Noal's voice echo down the corridor as he screamed a battlecry. It was not in any tongue Mat had ever heard."

I really like this

I may be wrong, but the semi-formal address added with the curiosity made me think this was Egwene speaking to Egeanin. This could be Egwene getting to know her Seanchan liaison, asking for stories of the strange places that always interested her. And Egeanin seems to be a likely person to have visited Shara.

It could also be that after a likely-to-be-Rand PoV for the first Memory, I was automatically assuming we'd get an Egwene PoV for the second.

Regarding the first release : "It had been useful at Maradon. Nobody knew he had it. That was important."

If it's somebody (Bashere has been mentioned a lot) with a dagger to keep Rand from discovering that he's a darkfriend, I would expect a different word than useful. In that particular case it could mean death if he was found out.... so the dagger would have been much more than merely useful.

This is very interesting. You may have something there although I still think Nalaam was talking gibberish. He is a confirmed lair. Noal, however, is not. So whatever Nalaam's story is, it's very strange for Jain to speak in a language that Mat doesn't know. What language could it possibly be? Even the Seanchan use basically the same language as the Randlanders and Sharans apparently do the same. The first quote also confirms that Androl knows enough of the OT to be able to say for sure that Nalaam is not speaking in the OT. This is pretty unusual for a commoner.

Also to point out Noal said "Mercy of the Winnower". To me that doesnt seem to be the creator. Could that be another type of way to say Great Lord grant mercy, mayhaps? Or it could be an alltogther type of deity that we have no idea about and wont since it may be from where ever Farstrider went and explored? So throw that and the different language that mat does not know, he might be speaking Sharan. and mercy of the winnower could be one of their sayings.

I may be wrong, but the semi-formal address added with the curiosity made me think this was Egwene speaking to Egeanin. This could be Egwene getting to know her Seanchan liaison, asking for stories of the strange places that always interested her. And Egeanin seems to be a likely person to have visited Shara.

Only thing is, I have a hard time seeing Egwene being, in any way, polite to, let alone semi-formal in speaking to a Seanchan. She just has way too much PTS regarding them to have adopted such a tone, especially given the admitted failure of Egeanin to lose the DB and what that nearly caused. Nynaeve will not spin this in Egeanin's favor either. At best, Egwene may be...I can't even say polite. Curt maybe....

Unless this is quite a way down the road and Egeanin has proved herself honorable to Egwene. Bah!...I still have a hard time seeing Egwene saying "I should like to hear...." to a Seanchan though, no matter how much time has passed, or how much respect is earned. Egwene is the Amyrlin and not really very humble or semi-formal in how she addresses others, even those she considers her "equals", let alone Egeanin given her origin and what she nearly caused.

Could she say "I should like to hear" to Lelaine or Romanda? I doubt it. Don't see how it would be that different with a Seanchan.

"I should like to hear one of your stories. Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara?"

To go a different direction, my first thought was a tone of sarcasm and disdain, perhaps a Taim with Androl surrounded and happening to know who he is (if he is) and mocking him.

Unrelated- Throwing out another suspect, Olver. Speaker or subject.

Seems blindingly obvious that it's Nalaam being addressed, as a few others have pointed out. He has a penchant for telling tall tales involving his family:

"You bragging about your travels again, Nalaam?" Androl asked, unlacing the leather armguard.

"We Domani get around," Nalaam said. "You know, the kind of work my father does, spying for the Crown..."

"Last week you said your father was a merchant," Canler said. The sturdy man was the oldest of the group, his hair graying, his square face worn from many years in the sun.

"He is," Nalaam said. "That's his front for being a spy!"

And so on. From ToM Ch. 46.

As to the speaker, I would guess Pevara, as the only outsider in Androl's group. Probably making small talk to fill in the time before the showdown with Taim, or something.

"I should like to hear one of your stories. Perhaps you could tell me of the time your father and you visited Shara?"

To go a different direction, my first thought was a tone of sarcasm and disdain, perhaps a Taim with Androl surrounded and happening to know who he is (if he is) and mocking him.

Unrelated- Throwing out another suspect, Olver. Speaker or subject.

I can totally see this- Taim saying this to Androl Farstrider (if that is to whom he is speaking). I see dark days ahead for Androl, but he may be ultimately saved by Logain et al.

to go back to the first 'memory'

I'm finding it really hard to believe Bashere is a darkfriend. I really hope he isn't. But even if he isn't, I really don't think he has a ter'angreal that allows him to 'hide' from Zen Rand. This may have been the first time they are 'onscreen' together since VoG, but to me that wouldn't be the first time this ter'angreal would have been of use. Just thinking that Zen Rand and Bashere must have been together before they arrived in Maradon- so why would he specifically mention that it was useful then?....oh, just had a thought, perhaps this TA 'protected' him from Zen Rand's 'Storm of Light' that made Torkumen crazy? That makes more sense, I suppose.

I still don't like Bashere as Darkfriend though. I like him too much! Well, I liked Ingtar a lot too, so there's that....

I'm going to combine three things;

1. Cadsuane having to teach all Asha'man something

2. Cadsuane having used this special phrasing before (http://idealseek.no-ip.com/IdealSeek.cgi?q=I+should+like+to ....got to love Ideal Seek)

3. Nalaam (as mentioned by bushboy above somewhere. Good thinking) ... or maybe Androl (great and fun idea herid)

Wild guesswork ahead;

Cadsuane is going to the Black Tower.

Cads meets Nalaam <insert quote> and other Dedicated.

They go teach Asha'man a lesson; to be human instead of tools/ weapons.

Cadsuane goes out in a blaze of glory.

I still don't like Bashere as Darkfriend though. I like him too much! Well, I liked Ingtar a lot too, so there's that....

Hehehe!

I understand the sentiment. I liked Ingtar too...lots!

And I still get goosebumps thinking about the scene where Rand 'welcomes Ingtar home' when he 'Comes Out of the Shadow' and how his triumphant voice soared through the sky when he made his last stand.

(yup! goosebumps ....again!)

I do think Ingtar and Bashere share their motive for chosing the Shadow, so I can understand how you like Bashere.

The way I read it, Bashere had Darkfriend written all over him from when we first see him on-screen, so I have a hard time liking him myself.

If you feel like a long read about how I think it was obvious that Bashere is a Darkfriend from just TFoH alone, read it here:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/50915-the-davram-bashere-darkfriend-theory/page__st__180?do=findComment&comment=2546602

Sidenote: I -love- these 'memories' from AMoL!

Great idea's just pop from the screen on every page!

Archived