DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just had to comment on something I noticed on rewatch

Where did this get confirmed? Last I saw there was no indication of this change being made. 

A ton of speculation went around for a time because of how Rand said something since it grammatically was poorly written (the writers room on S1 was kind of terrible at seeing how words would translate to screen)

Most people seem to have left the issue as “undecided” until another more clear reference is used. 

It centers around where punctuation actually is (and so far I have yet to see anyone with the actual script in hand.) Thanks to Rand for being confusing - again. 

For all we know the script says himself - our actor said herself - and noone in edit bothered to care. 

No I… A girl I know used to read this book every day. Thought she was Jain herself. Reincarnated. 

vs 

No I… A girl I know used to read this book every day. Thought she was Jain, herself, reincarnated

I feel pretty confident that the wording was intentional, but also agree that it in and of itself doesn't indicate anything about Jain Farstrider's gender one way or the other, which I think was also intentional.

IOW, if you want to take that line as confirmation of Jain being female in the world of the show, you're free to do so, and if you want to reject that more literal interpretation for a more ambiguous interpretation, you're free to do that.

Personally, I'm in the 'gender change' camp because it fits with Rafe's approach to adapting the WoT novels and adds more nuance to the lore of the show specifically.

Thanks to everyone for clarifying! I definitely made that assumption based on how I interpreted the wording. You all correctly pointed out that the way it was worded could be interpreted either way. It doesn’t matter to me either way, I just didn’t catch it the first time and since I interpreted it to mean “Jain herself” I was caught up in the moment! Appreciate the input. 

I think it's most likely switched in the show. For all the reasons listed above, but also because unless you have captions on, most viewers are going to hear the name as "Jane" and make assumptions, and they don't do anything to dissuade viewers from doing so. So either Jain is a woman OR that dialogue is just very badly written, and while both are definite possibilities I'd prefer the former.