DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Oh, herid, I happened to like your idea. Why did you get rid of it?

because I was responding to a post by BFG which I misread. I'm sure that's not it. it's an angreal or a sa'angreal, perhaps something that's he created himself during VoG.

@luckers I don't think it's a a retcon or a fat man angreal. The fat man's fate would have likely been mapped out by RJ. and Rand was glowing in the Maradon scene. That indicates something very powerful. I don't think the fat man angreal produced that effect. Callandor does but it could not have been Callandor.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fat Man seems possible.

Also I dunno if this is just me reacting to this in a vacuum, but this seems convenient in the face of the reaction to a Storm of Light. Another bandaid?

I just remembered this:

She had to return to the White Tower. It galled her to have to obey Egwene. But obey she would, and leave as soon as Rand returned. He’d gone somewhere this morning. Insufferable man. At least he’d taken Maidens with him. He’d reportedly said he needed to fetch something.

I thought this was one of the Seals but it could be that Rand went to Cairhien to go through objects of Power store from Rhuidean to get an angreal.

What I'm wondering is if it's an angreal, why doesn't Rand want anybody to know about it? He already has Callandor if he needs more Power so element of surprise is not much of a reason. Plus, he can overpower anyone besides Moridin without an angreal.

I'd certainly hope it wasn't Callandor, it would be very hard to hide. On the other hand, it could be his secret way of getting his three ladies.

Edit: Cenn: He wants to be seen as a confident, all powerful symbol of hope. To admit he needed aid would damage that image. Also, it could be that he didn't want to alert the Shadow that he had found something.

Another thought: Considering Brandon's response to Rand's confidence in the White Tower, and Egwene thinking he could have broken free of the circle, it could possibly be a Well, a large one.

Here's the quote:

INTERVIEW: Dec 17th, 2011

Alloy of Law Signing Report - Loialson (Verbatim)

LOIALSON

Yes...Are the impressive displays of power that Rand makes in Towers of Midnight (i.e., stopping the Trolloc army and having no concern over being able to leave the White Tower) a result of his integrated knowledge or his ta'veren nature?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Now, the thing about in the White Tower is something different. [brandon smiles]

The EWOT summary from Maradon notes that

'Much like the weave in TSR,Ch10 where Rand used Callandor to clear the Stone of Tear. Only now he cleared a much larger area without even an angreal.'

We also have Rand's reaction that it was a mistake to save Maradon.

I don't see any confirmation in the text that he was without an angreal, and his reaction hints that maybe he showed his hand. I wouldn't necessarily call this a band-aid either, especially if it turns out to be the 'other' sa'angreal or the fat man.

@JakeBarnes TheEWOT is made by regular fans. they don't know any more than we do. It's just their inerpretation that Rand didn't have anything with him at Maradon.

The Fat Man seems possible.

Also I dunno if this is just me reacting to this in a vacuum, but this seems convenient in the face of the reaction to a Storm of Light. Another bandaid?

I just remembered this:

She had to return to the White Tower. It galled her to have to obey Egwene. But obey she would, and leave as soon as Rand returned. He’d gone somewhere this morning. Insufferable man. At least he’d taken Maidens with him. He’d reportedly said he needed to fetch something.

I thought this was one of the Seals but it could be that Rand went to Cairhien to go through objects of Power store from Rhuidean to get an angreal.

What I'm wondering is if it's an angreal, why doesn't Rand want anybody to know about it? He already has Callandor if he needs more Power so element of surprise is not much of a reason. Plus, he can overpower anyone besides Moridin without an angreal.

nice find. that could be it.

I'd certainly hope it wasn't Callandor, it would be very hard to hide. On the other hand, it could be his secret way of getting his three ladies.

Edit: Cenn: He wants to be seen as a confident, all powerful symbol of hope. To admit he needed aid would damage that image. Also, it could be that he didn't want to alert the Shadow that he had found something.

Another thought: Considering Brandon's response to Rand's confidence in the White Tower, and Egwene thinking he could have broken free of the circle, it could possibly be a Well, a large one.

Here's the quote:

INTERVIEW: Dec 17th, 2011

Alloy of Law Signing Report - Loialson (Verbatim)

LOIALSON

Yes...Are the impressive displays of power that Rand makes in Towers of Midnight (i.e., stopping the Trolloc army and having no concern over being able to leave the White Tower) a result of his integrated knowledge or his ta'veren nature?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Now, the thing about in the White Tower is something different. [brandon smiles]

I (and others) have theorized that Rand has created a Well inside himself during VoG but that would not increase his power level so it would not have been needed at Maradon.

There is nothing to say that he needed the increase in Power, nor that it is what he is referring to. Heck, we don't even know this is Rand.

He said it was useful. Drawing from a Well instead of struggling with the source would be very useful, especially considering how exhausted he was afterwards. A little power stored up in a well would be very useful indeed. It would give him a little extra time channelling a little easier.

I should have clarified: The part from the EWOT that I added was just to show that the idea of him having an angreal in that scene was not new, just that most people had dismissed it. The comparison to TSR and him having Callandor, coupled with the statement that he didn't have one, stuck out as an oddity.

There is nothing to say that he needed the increase in Power, nor that it is what he is referring to. Heck, we don't even know this is Rand.

He said it was useful. Drawing from a Well instead of struggling with the source would be very useful, especially considering how exhausted he was afterwards. A little power stored up in a well would be very useful indeed. It would give him a little extra time channelling a little easier.

This just made me think: Could Rand have made a new Eye of the World within himself?

I don't know about the "in himself" part. But it seems the Eye was important and misused, and it would be important one way or another in aMoL, so it could very well be right.

I was speculating more along the lines of a ter'angreal Well, but I'm open to the possibility of some kind of manufactured well by Rand.

This just made me think: Could Rand have made a new Eye of the World within himself?

It took a few channelers to make the eye originaly and they all had to die to make it so i dont think he made a new one. And Ltt wasnt around when they eye was originally made.

@Barid why do you think that drawing from a Well is any different from drawing from the True source directly? I don't recall anything in the books suggesting this.

I also remembered this dream of Egwene

A dark young man held an object in his hand that shone so brightly she could not see what it was.

-aCoS, ch 10

could be the same thing Rand used in Maradon. It's not likely to be Callandor IMO as that requires two women and there are no women in that dream.

that's exactly what I thought he may have done during VoG.

http://www.theorylan...main.php?i=36#5

Jeff Edde (3 January 2011)

Interesting. In The Eye of the World, Rand uses Light and Power. Is it significant that he uses Light and Power again in Towers of Midnight?

Brandon Sanderson (3 January 2011)

Yes.

JEFF EDDE (12 JANUARY)

Can Rand channel Light and Power as a result of touching the Eye of the World, or does he have access to it because he is who he is?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It was the power in the Eye, so far as I know.

Eye of the World idea sounds good too.

@Barid why do you think that drawing from a Well is any different from drawing from the True source directly? I don't recall anything in the books suggesting this.

Well there is no direct evidence, I don't think, but it is like a glass of water (per RJ). The channeler who fills the Well already draws from the True Source to fill it.

They have already done the hard work in procuring the "water" and they have a glass filled, all that needs doing is to be used.

I guess that's how I have always seen it. It doesn't require Nynaeve to go through the same excercise to Draw upon the Well in Far Madding, she can't even sense the source. So it implies it is just a manufactured product ready to use without the need to "seize" or "surrender" to it.

Again, my take on it, there is nothing conclusive, so really, it is speculation.

Just for the sake of an argument, I'm going for the ivory man holding a sword which was mentioned in TGH 9 and never heard of again.

Particularly since it was found in Maradon and Rand may, possibly, had seen it at Falme when he was recovering Fain's dagger and the Horn.

Very tenuous, but I like it anyway.

Either that, or this is one very big, red herring.

@msbee How would Rand get his hands on Domon's ivory man statue? Either Domon still has it or it was taken from him by Turak along with the seal (more likely IMO).

@yoniy0 It could be Callandor in the dream but it's unlikely IMO because Callandor has to be used in a circle and there are no women present in that dream.

We heard from Brandon's people that chapter 2 (IIRC) would be the last material released. So, the question is, do we think these aMoL previews are in response to the negative feedback from the chapters? Is this their way of giving us little tidbits to try and make us focus on what's coming rather then what's been released?

Unfortunately, if true, they underestimate our ability to tear apart single sentences and find a million things wrong.

@yoniy0 It could be Callandor in the dream but it's unlikely IMO because Callandor has to be used in a circle and there are no women present in that dream.

Well, technically, Callandor doesn't have to be used in a Circle, it's just best to do so. Besides, jsut because the women weren't in the dream, it doesn't mean they are not linked to him when the vision comes true. Dreams are often not to big on details. It is not too inconcievable to think that the women would be left out. Just like Mat with the Dragons. The Dream didn't show Aludra or the bell-founders who helped create the Dragons. The main point was the Mat was making Dragons.

Similarly, the point of the Dream would be that Jahar is using Callandor for something important. The women linked is just a side detail that I doubt would be present in a Dream.

In any case, you have a point, even if I am not sure it applies, it very well could do. It is most likely not Rand, since Rand isn't really a "dark young man".

@ herid - no idea.

I'm assuming the statue made it's way into Falme along with the other items Damon had. Rand could have seen it in Turak's collection and ignored it at the time. But, with new found knowledge, post VoG, realised it's true value and gone looking for it. This is where it gets tenuous I guess...

We heard from Brandon's people that chapter 2 (IIRC) would be the last material released. So, the question is, do we think these aMoL previews are in response to the negative feedback from the chapters? Is this their way of giving us little tidbits to try and make us focus on what's coming rather then what's been released?

Unfortunately, if true, they underestimate our ability to tear apart single sentences and find a million things wrong.

Am pretty sure they would have finalized their marketing strategies months before and wouldn't have been altered by the reaction of a few. I think Peter just mentioned no new chapters will be released after the second and not any promotional teasers.

As for the teaser, could it be some memory/knowledge/skill (like say access to TP) or does the phrasing rule that out?

Archived