DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birgitte to a HotH after they served their purpose in the real world?  Though the obvious one connected with her doesn't work.

She could be addressing some  HoH other than Gaidal but again,  would Birgitte say "until I dream again"?

It's nothing but another bandage.

And an awful one at that, insinuating that being in a hurry can make you forget how to spell.  Still not buying...

I was just wondering if the reason he 'couldn't spell' was a deliberate attempt to try and get Elayne to feel sorry for him? Provoke a certain reaction from the letter? In the same way Rand tries to get Elayne mad in Chapter 2 of AMoL? Or is it confirmed that the letter was a mistake.

Mat would never deliberately do something that would make him appear foolish to Elayne of all people (or anyone, really).  The letter was certainly written to provoke a reaction, to tweak her nose a little but make her realize it was really him.  Unfortunately it was wildly overdone, kind of like running full speed into the right field wall when trying to hustle out an infield single.

I think the "speaking to the air" part pretty much confirms this happens in Tel'aran'rhiod. And since the speaker says she can only see this "old friend" the next time she dreams, I think e can infer that this is a hero of the horn. Which remaining hero would break the precepts and meet with a living person? I argue that Rand post his death makes the most sense. Who are likely to call him old friend? I think Nynaeve, Egwene or Moiraine make the most sense. So this is most likely one of them in TAR, speaking to Rand.

Birgitte to a HotH after they served their purpose in the real world?  Though the obvious one connected with her doesn't work.

She could be addressing some  HoH other than Gaidal but again,  would Birgitte say "until I dream again"?

I kind of doubt her using that terminology, since she never referred to her time in T'a'R as a HotH that way that I can remember.  She has been there using the twisted ring, but the prescripts would probably prevent her from running into her friend that way...

"And farewell to you, old friend," she said to the air. "Until I dream again."

Obviously something an Aiel would say. An "old friend" seems to die. My vote is Sorilea or Bair who went to Rhuidean and the quote belongs to Amys.

My first instinct was Aiel related also. Life is a dream from which we all must wake, after all. And the idea that we are all reborn, and thus the speaker could see their old friend again at that time, is a possibility to rebut the idea that this is T'A'R related. Which is the second possibility, and one which carries less weight, as it could mean a departure rather than a death. The last possibility, is a HotH speaking to someone they know they are linked too, in what a 3rd ager would take for the Aiel manner. Birgitte talking to Gaidal comes to mind.

I think the "speaking to the air" part pretty much confirms this happens in Tel'aran'rhiod.

Question: What happens if after Mat blows the Horn, a Hero of the Horn dies in battle? If they simply vanish (back into Tel'aran'rhiod) I would go with Birgitte. Same thing for once the battle is done; what occured in TGH? Didn't the heroes simply vanish back into Tel'aran'rhiod? Which would explain the "air" part.

Obviously something an Aiel would say. An "old friend" seems to die. My vote is Sorilea or Bair who went to Rhuidean and the quote belongs to Amys.

My first instinct was Aiel related also. Life is a dream from which we all must wake, after all. And the idea that we are all reborn, and thus the speaker could see their old friend again at that time

This would at best be a possibility, not a certainty (unless we are talking about linked HoH). That's not how it's phrased.

, is a possibility to rebut the idea that this is T'A'R related. Which is the second possibility, and one which carries less weight, as it could mean a departure rather than a death.

why would the speaker not say farewell in person if it's just a departure and not death? That's kind of rude. Are there other instances of such exchanges in TAR?

The last possibility, is a HotH speaking to someone they know they are linked too, in what a 3rd ager would take for the Aiel manner. Birgitte talking to Gaidal comes to mind.

Gaidal is something like 1 year old now. And yet again, If it's Birgitte or some other HoH, why would they say "Until I dream again"?

Question: What happens if after Mat blows the Horn, a Hero of the Horn dies in battle?

We don't know for sure. BS said in an interview that this will be clarified in a conversation between two characters in AMOL. It's possible that they go back to TAR but more likely IMO is that they die the final death in such situation because as Birgitte explained in TSR, the HoH are partly in TAR when they are called by the Horn.

I think it's Eg to somebody, in my head it's said in a gentler way than how the Aiel speak.

And TWoD is a different world entirely, so maybe Rand/LT, like the Hunters, will be there until incarnated when the world needs him most. Maybe that's what the goodbye was for, realizing he won't be back if he closes the bore?

I've only read the series for two years now, and have read more posts than I posted by far, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's Eg to somebody, in my head it's said in a gentler way than how the Aiel speak.

I thought exactly the same; how about Verin as a Hero in TAR? She would fit the old friend part, I'd say.

Though, if it's in TAR there is absolutely no need that it involves anyone being dead. It just implies a physical distance between the two people, such that they only meet when in TAR.

(EDIT - should say that to me this sounds like either final chapter or an epilogue, or what happened after section as opposed to main text)

Turns out farewell hasn't been used much in the last couple of books, so no help there.

Farewell as used in ToM

Gawyn waved farewell, and Sleete vanished into the hallway

Perrin bade farewell to the attendees and gave some basic instructions for the evening camp

Mat set aside his own drink, left a few coins as payment, then nodded farewell to Melli

She [Egwene] fondly bade farewell to the two Wise Ones, watching as they faded from Tel'aran'rhiod

"I'm leaving for the White Tower," he said [Gawyn]. "I'd like to say farewell."

Padra remained seated as the others said their farewells, some somber, others excited.

TGS

She [Egwene] nodded farewell to Leane, then hesitated, frowning.

Marlesh just shrugged, waving farewell to Gawyn and Sleete before stepping out of the barn.

He [Gawyn] unhobbled Challenge from the post at the border between Aes Sedai and army camps, nodded farewell to his novice handler, then swung into the saddle, checking the position of the sun.

"So that is it?" Egwene asked, chilled. "What of Tomas?"
"We made our farewells. He is spending his last hour with family."

Nakomi related, perhaps?

that's what I was thinking too. But whatever it is I find the whole quote very confusing. It looks like somebody just died in TAR and disappeared from it which is why the speaker addresses the air. But why add "Unitil I dream again"? what does that mean?

Life is a dream which they must wake for an Aiel so "Until I dream again" = "Until I am reborn again".

That doesn't fit. Why would the speaker expect to meet whoever just died when the speaker is reborn?

Okay, I haven't explained my reasoning well enough. I think the quote is a prayer for someone who just died or alternatively it is someone's last words before he/she dies. The person saying "until I dream again" is Aiel. I don't exactly know why he/she assumes being reborn in the same time period with someone else, possibly ignorance or wishful thinking.

Birgitte dies and Elayne meets her in TAR after the LB. Birgitte tells Elayne that she won't appear for a while. This is Elayne saying goodbye.

Or, the person speaking is a dying Aiel. Possibly Bael speaking to Rhuarc (or vice versa)

I like the second possibility.

It could be that the speaker is the one who is dying/leaving in some way. If anyone hasn't said that yet. (EDIT: Like the post above mine pretty much says...)

I pretty much agree with the above. I imagine an aiel dying on the ground from a battle wound looking up to a friend and then saying that line. I don't think it needs to be in TAR.

Lots of theories on memory #10 but I still don't see a completely satisfactory one.

• Luckers' idea that it's Lanfear speaking to Rand sarcastically right after she balefires him. This would explain everything including the promise to meet in a dream soon (Rand is supposed to serve her before and after death according to the first Dark prophecy). But it really doesn't sound like her.  There would be at least one mention of Lews Therin in there somewhere if that was Lanfear.
  • Somebody is speaking to a Hero of the Horn shortly after the LB is over and the Heroes go back to TAR. The problem is that the HoH follow the precepts and stay away from visitors once they are in TAR.
  • The only exception is Birgitte. But she doesn't fit either because the person speaking is addressing the air. If Birgitte dies she will leave a body behind and won't just vanish.
  • Elayne speaking to Birgitte in TAR after Birgitte dies. Elayne addressing Birgitte in such a formal manner? No way. And why is she speaking to the air?
  • The speaker is the one dying and it's an Aiel, in which case "until I dream again" means "until I'm reborn again". But why are they addressing air then and not a real person in this case? And why would they expect to meet whoever they are speaking to in their next life? neither makes sense.
  • The action takes place in TAR, whoever the speaker is addressing just died and their body disappeared from TAR which is why the speaker is addressing the air. But again the "until I dream again" part doesn't work whether or not the speaker is an Aiel.
  • a conversation between two characters (Siuan and Moiraine were suggested) after one of them dies normally and "until I dream again" just means an ordinary dream and neither TAR, nor a rebrith. Quite sure that's not it. This is not how things work in WoT.  The phrasing is  wrong  too. If this were the meaning the speaker should have said "I'll be dreaming of you" or something like that or at least clarify what they meant.

Gut reaction is that it is Brigitte and she is speaking to one of those that are called by the Horn that are not currently reborn when it is blown. Though I forget the exact exchanges during "The Graves is No Bar to My Call" in The Great Hunt.

Edited grammar.

@yoniy0 I haven't considered that possibility but I find it unlikely too. I doubt very much that Mat would let anybody other than Tuon bond him. Given Mat's medallion it would have to be done with his consent.

Eh, there are plausible situations in which Mat's medallion would be removed.  In tFoH Moiraine asks him to remove it to be healed.  Perhaps there is a situation such as Caemlyn where he gets badly injured and needs to be healed by an Aes Sedai to live, that hussy then heals him and bonds him while doing so.

Not that I think this is what goes down, just a plausible explanation.

possible but still unlikely IMO. There aren't many Aes Sedai who would bond a man against his will. They would likely have to be Green too. The only person who fits is Joline IMO. That would be really funny but I seriously doubt we'll see her again.

I don't think Moriaine would do it to Mat in such situation for example. I could see her maybe bonding him to save his life but that particular trick was only recently used on Gawyn and will likely be needed for Rand if he dies and is pushed out of TAR by Nyn. The same thing happening to Mat would be overdoing it.

I can see that you guys are trying to fit Mat for "pass his bond to me" memory but I really don't think it will be him.

All that said, there are definitely hints that Tuon will bond Mat eventually. Nalesean asked Mat about becoming a warder once (LoC, ch 22) and more recently (ToM, ch 57)  Mat insisted that he would never be one a little too much.

Mat's letter to Elayne is probably telling her that Talmanes is in command for a while and that he wants as much of the Band and Dragons free for the Last Battle, mentioning that he has a little appointment he wants to go to first. Bandage or not; I hope it sounds "right." I just hope that Mat and Rand meet in Merrilor; and Rand assigns some Asha'man to Mat (the Illian contingent!). The HoV and Illian are foreshadowed; and Mat would be the one to go there.

Which foreshadowing do you mean? There were straight out statements in early books linking the Horn to Illian (they do seem to be completely forgotten in later books) but I don't recall any foreshadowings.

@Herid, I don't necessarily subscribe to that path, was just putting forth a plausible explanation.  I think having Mat bonded as a Warder is a little hokey at this point and unnecessary.

Had a thought about the Memory regarding the Ways, but then I realized that Ituralde would have nothing to do with the Black Tower.  However, is there any evidence that there is a waygate at the Black Tower?  Presumably not as Rand had Loial and his Elder to take care of them, or at least list them.

Archived