DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, just how much is there to discuss? Considering the pg rating of WoT someone asking to be laid is not going to be anything terribly exciting. It's not like there's any chance it's Dems negotiating with Rand etc.

Seriously, how much to discuss indeed. Pretty obvious why they picked this one really...

Really?  Are we going to discuss this, or just come up with the most ludicris couples?  Usually, the jokes start after the discussion is exhausted, not before.  I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I seriously can't believe this thread has stalled so quickly.

You're right, i'm sorry. I originally had more in the post, but i cut it out because it felt even more off-topic.

I've been contemplating the prophecy that he must "bind the nine moons to him", and i wondered about whether the "bind" would be a warder "bond". It would certainly shed light on this quote:

"Pass his bond to me."

A little tin-foil though, i can't imagine Tuon being okay with that, but this seems like it is pretty late in the book.

On the "you will bed me" I would guess it's either Avi to Rand, Tuon to Mat, Faile to Perrin, some slightly more minor characters, or possibly even one Forsaken to another. The last seems pretty unlikely, but there's really nothing about the sentence that suggests the speaker wants to do anything but have sex, so I suppose they could just be doing it because it's the eve of the LB and they could die the next day.

I would say Avi and Rand, but as someone already said, "bed me" doesn't sound like Aiel terminology.

Travelling also sprang to my mind. The pattern seems extremely unstable, and the way travelling is described, it either manipulates or rip a hole in the pattern, to open a gateway. It would also explain ituraldes quote in regards to the ways from earlier.

yeah balefire is the first thing to come to mind...

as for traveling, is something going to compromise it? that would be interesting, it's such a powerful tool as is, and if compromised it might be related to ituralde's quote about the Ways

Only traveling with the TP "rips" a whole in the pattern per the books, we see what happens from that here...

Robert Jordan
Jordan said that that was because the Traveling was done by using the True Power. We'd seen the same since, when Moridin Travels somewhere..."The Pattern screamed."

Traveling? It can't be balefire since it's not widespread. And that's the only other thing I see directly effected by the pattern being disrupted.

I don't think the OP Traveling weave disrupts the Pattern, at least the saidar one doesn't and Amys is unlikely to be speaking about saidin here. But if it is Traveling it could explain why Ituralde might need to use the Ways. You make a valid point about balefire not being widespread but I don't think it disqualifies it from being the one Amy means. The Wise Ones presumably don't know about the effects of balefire but might see it in action on the other side for example. Also, the fact that Amy says "this weave" rather than Traveling suggests that she is not familiar with the weave in question.

Could be an entirely new weave but that would suck big time. No need for ad hoc new stuff in the last book. There is plenty of old underused stuff in the WoT universe already.

Balefire is of course the most obvious, but it wouldn't make sense. Everyone already knows Balefire is dangerous, the Aiel specifically felt the effects of Rand's balefire in tGS. 

As things stand, Balefire wouldn't warrant this reaction, nobody really uses it without discretion anyway. 

It seems that this is a weave previous thought harmless - Travelling is a good idea - or a newly introduced weave - like one of the Wondergirls' discoveries. 

It must be common knowledge, or at least relatively common, since they want to spread the word for people NOT to use it. 

So a commonly used weave with new consequences or a newly discovered weave that is popular is likely. 

The only situation where Balefire would qualify is if they learn the true effects of Balefire - which is helping the DO break free, not just the commonly known effects. Balefire in small amounts is generally - while frowned upon - thought to be necessary. But if they discover that even the smallest amount could bring the DO closer to victory - that would be something worthy to incite this reaction. 

Edit: Of course, we only "think" that Travelling doesn't disrupt the pattern. Which makes it all the more likely. A commonly held opinion proved to be wrong. (I don't particularly think it is talking about Travelling, but I couldn't help but point it out.)

Traveling? It can't be balefire since it's not widespread. And that's the only other thing I see directly effected by the pattern being disrupted.

I don't think the OP Traveling weave disrupts the Pattern, at least the saidar one doesn't and Amys is unlikely to be speaking about saidin here. But if it is Traveling it could explain why Ituralde might need to use the Ways. You make a valid point about balefire not being widespread but I don't think it disqualifies it from being the one Amy means. The Wise Ones presumably don't know about the effects of balefire but might see it in action on the other side for example. Also, the fact that Amy says "this weave" rather than Traveling suggests that she is not familiar with the weave in question.

Could be an entirely new weave but that would suck big time. No need for ad hoc new stuff in the last book. There is plenty of old underused stuff in the WoT universe already.

i think the wise ones are aware of the effects, in TGS after rand used balefire to blow up graendal's palace, nynaeve explains what happens to cadsuane and the wise ones, whom then say (forget who exactly) something along the lines of 'yes we felt the effects here'.

balefire just seems like the much to obvious weave here in todays memory

Yeah, balefire doesn't warrant that reaction at this time. Everyone knows Balefire is bad news now. 

For me, it has to be something everyone thinks is fine to use, but actually has an undiscovered negative effect. A "new" weave wouldn't make sense, because they wouldn't need to spread the word, they would just keep the knowledge a secret. You don't show someone how to do something then tell them not to do it. 

Only traveling with the TP "rips" a whole in the pattern per the books, we see what happens from that here...

Robert Jordan

Jordan said that that was because the Traveling was done by using the True Power. We'd seen the same since, when Moridin Travels somewhere..."The Pattern screamed."

Saidin gateways are described as folding the two places in the pattern together and then bore a hole through. While Saidar is described as making two places in the pattern similar to each other. so both weaves effects the pattern. TP is just a way more brutal way of doing it.

There is also the whole issue of travelling simply being to powerful, not only does it grant the forces of light with a massive advantage, it's also extremely easy for the dark side to simply travel in and kill any of the generals of the Light. Putting this limitation on travelling makes sense from a plot perspective

I still find it strange for Amy to call it "this weave" rather than Traveling (or whatever else she means) if this is something already known to the Wise Ones. 

Also, saidin Traveling might negatively affect the Pattern. Rand described it as boring a hole in the Pattern once to Egwene. But the way saidar Traveling was described ( by making two places identical) doesn't sound destructive to me.

Archived