DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Balefire may be especially bad right now given how far the Pattern's unraveled. Perhaps even minor uses of it can have grave consequences.

I do like the idea that this may be referring to traveling, though. I think people are thinking too hard on the words "this weave." In context, the word "traveling" may have already been used a couple of times in what she was saying and it would have simply sounded odd to use it again so close together.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Traveling did risk the Pattern when its structural integrity is already compromised. Traveling by saidin seems to involve folding space so two different points touch and then boring a hole through the Pattern between them, while traveling by saidar seems to be altering the quantum state of the area you're in to match the area you want to go (which seems like it would involve altering the Pattern in the area), so they quite literally become the same place, at least on a plane in space.

Memory 13 - "We must spread the word to all of our allies," Amys said. "We must not use this weave."

Pretty confident she's speaking about BF. But, I could be wrong.

Spread word to "our allies." Not to everyone. Just to allies.

If it was a weave that could take the world apart, you'd want to spread word to everyone. No point in winning a war if you lose everything, unless you're Moridin. So I doubt the mystery weave is Traveling. And it doubt it's Balefire, because everyone already knows that one is dangerous.

No, I'm thinking that it's more along the line of a weave that lets the other side know something you want kept secret, or leaves a trace the bad guys can follow. You want your side to quit using it, but not the other guys.

I think the term 'allies' is the question mark. What comes to mind is everybody on the light side- but that may be a mistake. She could just be talking about a few key individuals that do know balefire- Rand, Egwene, Cadsuane, which would encompass the White Tower, Rands personal channelers, etc. If the Wise Ones somehow found out about the dangers of BF (probably in the Dream), they could be referring to those key friends who they know do know about BF.

I think the term 'allies' is the question mark. What comes to mind is everybody on the light side- but that may be a mistake. She could just be talking about a few key individuals that do know balefire- Rand, Egwene, Cadsuane, which would encompass the White Tower, Rands personal channelers, etc. If the Wise Ones somehow found out about the dangers of BF (probably in the Dream), they could be referring to those key friends who they know do know about BF.

I also think the term allies is key in this context, though I read it slightly differently to you. When I think of allies it makes me think instinctively of a battle, which is why I think it could be more to do with some initial skirmish where channellers have found that a certain type of attack has been blunted. My initial reaction was the weave to try and shield someone else as shown with Nyn teaching Talaan she ends up shielded both of the last two times. Or just any weave that the enemy have found can be developed to their advantage. 

As soon I read the quote, I thought of bonding. One of the strangest lines in the books was when the Red AS asks if they can bond ashaman. Taim says something like why not, let the lord of chaos rule. To me, this was strange because there didn't seem to be anything dangerous about bonding - but I my impression of Taim's response was that widespread bonding would lead to a huge mess - chaos, if you will. And the door was opened in chapter 2 to a greater extent.

PErhaps the events of chapter 2 start to spread, and one way or another Amys comes across information that bonding, especially among chanellers, can be detrimental in some way.

Or just balefire, which the light side seems to use without  a thought or care, but made Demandred shake in his boots.

Memory 13 - "We must spread the word to all of our allies," Amys said. "We must not use this weave."

Pretty confident she's speaking about BF. But, I could be wrong.

Spread word to "our allies." Not to everyone. Just to allies.

If it was a weave that could take the world apart, you'd want to spread word to everyone.

Who do you mean by everyone then? Everybody is allies against the Shadow. Or do you mean the Shadow? Even during the War of the Power when both sides realized the consequences of using balefire there were no agreements or negotiations. Both sides stopped on their own. The only Light side party which is currently not allied with the the others are the Seanchan. But at the moment they wouldn't listen to anything the Wise Ones were to tell them. And if the quote is from some time point after reconciliation with the Seanchan then they'd be included by default.

Amys says "We must spread the word to all of our allies". All, not some.

Sounds more like one of the Supergirls to me. Cadsuane doesn't strike me as a person that cares an awful lot about titles demanding specific treatment or respect.

The new one:

"That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever."

Sigh.

*Prepares the popcorn for yet another round of "How bad a writer BS is"*

The new one:

"That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever."

Sigh.

*Prepares the popcorn for yet another round of "How bad a writer BS is"*

*Prepares popcorn for yet another round of posters commenting on other posters critique instead of the actual text all while turning a blind eye to the issues. Bonus kettle corn involved for actually referencing literary technique and why certain things have been done well(as we did when TGS & ToM were first released).*

As an aside all I was really doing was lamenting the change in overall voice which was quite deliberate and isn't a sign of bad writing. I'll go with Pevara here based on the pre-release materials.

The lamentations should be saved for the other threads made for that purpose, IMO #onetrickpony

Exactly, you guys complained about the constant Egwene bashing in every single thread, this is very much the same. Criticism of his work with the books have a specific thread for itself, just like Egwene bashing had one.

Gimme a break.  I can't picture anyone reading that line and not cringing.  Out of context it sounds pretty bad; in context, the only way I could see it working is in a humorous exchange and still that's barely, but oops better keep that kind of talk to ThisGuy's topic on keeping all haters on an island to spare others sensitive ears who in turn get to throw stones all they want Brandon's Work.

Anyways, my guess is Elayne or Egwene, to another AS, regarding Mat.

The new one:

Cadsuane? Pevara? Egwene?

Two things.  First thing, isn't "never ever" more grammatically correct.  "Never never" is a double negative, or am I missing something?  I never never took ate human flesh = I am a cannibal.

Secondly, the new one is actually:

That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever.

There are no quotes here, just italics.  The only time italics are used for speech-type communication in this series is through LTT or the wolves, quotes are used in all other cases to my knowledge.  However, I don't see the wolves offering any guidance on how to talk to an Aes Sedai, and LTT was a man-voice not a female-voice.  Is this just a minor error?  Or is there some female telepathy going on here, or is a woman talking to herself LTT-style?  

Alternatively, maybe this could be some kind of written correspondence?  Or perhaps Aludra is going to invent email / IM messaging in addition to cannon.

With that point it sounds like someone thinking to themselves then.

Edited for missing the obvious: forgot the word "replied" and now I like the idea of a flashback someone mentioned but the person who said maiden handtalk gets my kudos, since I always wanted to know more of what they were saying.

The lamentations should be saved for the other threads made for that purpose, IMO #onetrickpony

Exactly, you guys complained about the constant Egwene bashing in every single thread, this is very much the same. Criticism of his work with the books have a specific thread for itself, just like Egwene bashing had one.

Who is you guys? I often defended her when posters spewed vitriol just like I condemned her backers when they would go overboard in praise. Either way it bears absolutely zero relation to the topic at hand. Nice try though...

@Toot

Don't try taking sense you hater.

It's a very similar situation, so I fail to see how it isn't relevant?

That aside, Maiden Handtalk seems possible, though I doubt it's from Maidens them self, as they haven't shown any real respect for Aes Sedai in a very long time. Faile seems a likely candidate though, as she was taught the handtalk by Bain and Chiad.

EDIT: Oh and Suttree, I never claimed you were on either sides of the argument, just that you were against the constant discussion popping up everywhere. Which I agree with you, was rather destructive for the discussion.

Interesting point about italic. Maiden's handtalk?

What's really weird is that the second "never" is not italicized. Don't see any reasonable explanation for that. Poor editing, perhaps?

Maiden handtalk - sold. Who's around Maidens who is likely to be rude to Aes Sedai? Most likely Rand, although Perrin has his coterie now too

Also, emphasized words in italics are not italicized. So Brandon was just putting extra emphasis on the second 'never'

Archived