DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new quote isn't an Aiel. These sayings are common in the the first 3 books before anyone meets an Aiel. It's Moiraine, a few of the Aes Sedai say these rambling phrases that sound like something we would say, but mixed up a bit. 

I would stake my right to read AMoL on it not being Moiraine. Moiraine would never call Perrin by his full name (incl. family name).

Number 17 is - "It is one of the three things which I will require of you.Your payment, to me,in exchange for my life."

Seems Rand has three requirements. The peace is one I'm sure. No ideas on 2 or 3. Thoughts?

1. Fight in the Last Battle.

2. Make peace with the Seanchan.

3. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

No Terez - this is not the Dark Tower, *sticks fingers in ears and starts to hum loudly* I'm not listening!

No Terez - this is not the Dark Tower, *sticks fingers in ears and starts to hum loudly* I'm not listening!

ROFL

1) The Dragon's Peace

2) Aiel Lands west of the Dragonwall

3) A restoration of status for male channellers

I thought of the a'dam, but then thought that Mat would be more likely to fix that problem, and also that the demand has to be more general.  In other words, not demanded of just the Seanchan but rather ALL of the monarchs.

aross - really like the one about male channelers! This definately should be one of them. Not so sure what you mean about the Aiel lands.

I'm going to pick and choose

1. Dragon's Peace

2. Restoration of status of male channelers

3. Fight the Last Battle

Number 17 is - "It is one of the three things which I will require of you.Your payment, to me,in exchange for my life."

Seems Rand has three requirements. The peace is one I'm sure. No ideas on 2 or 3. Thoughts?

This is obviously Moiriaine or Lanfear to the Finns in a flashback... jk

1.  Fight in the Last Battle with Mat in charge of the Light's armies

2.  The Dragon's Peace (including Seanchan)

3.  ??

I note that this could be the Field of Merrilor, or it could also theoretically be his demands from the Seanchan (although in that case it would be in exchange for his life and for bowing before the Empress), in which case:

1.  Same as above

2.  Same as above  

3.  No new leashed channelers or execution of male channelers [too much to ask to unleash all the psychologically traumatized damane before the Last Battle]

I thought some of these were going to be chapter titles that they released. I've always thought a chapter title can be more revealing (and also more confusing) and intriguing than a random sentence. I mean who will forget the WTF moment when they saw the chapter title 'Death of Tuon'

1) The Dragon's Peace

2) Aiel Lands west of the Dragonwall

quite sure it won't be that. Avi's visions in Rhuidean show that the Aiel will be left out of Rand's original demands altogether. Avi will change that, I'm sure, but not until Rand publicly states his demands. Rand has kept his intentions secret from everybody including Min. I don't think he'll tell Avi either.

3) A restoration of status for male channellers

I like this one! I bet you are right about it.

aross - really like the one about male channelers! This definately should be one of them. Not so sure what you mean about the Aiel lands.

I'm going to pick and choose

1. Dragon's Peace

2. Restoration of status of male channelers

3. Fight the Last Battle

2 and 3 seem unnecessary to me. The Asha'man seem quite capable enough to establish themselves. While many still distrust them it's not as if male channellers were ever truly hated in the Randland. Feared because of the danger the pose and pitied because they wwere cursed to go mad, but not truly hated. In a couple of years male channellers will probably be as accepted as female ones, though they still may not have the status accorded to an Aes Sedai. And in a generation the distrust and fear will start to die out.

And the world can hardly refuse to fight at the Last Battle. For one Rand already controls 80 or 90 percent of the forces represented at Merrilor either directly or indirectly. Only Egwene's and Elayne's forces can be considered independant and while they have Gareth Byrne their armies are pretty much made up of green soldiers while many of Rand's are quite experienced. Either the Borderlanders or the Aiel could steamroll all the other nations except for the Seanchan in short order.

1) Dragon's Peace

2) We have seen that Rand doesn't like the aristocracy so perhaps since he knows everything LTT knew something which sets all those monarchies on the way towards democracy. The institutions of a house of commons through an election for example.

I know you can't create a top down democracy, but with his ta'veren effect he could very well spark the ideas of freedom, liberty and equality in all those who are assembled there which could lead to democratic revolutions over time.

3) If the Aiel settle in the lands west of the Dragonwall I think they'll need accepted borders or they'll have to fight for them. Probably lands between the Borderlands and Andor/Cairhien since that is the largest unclaimed peace of land and it keeps them as far as possible from the Seanchan.

If not the establishment of some sort of council where the various nations meet to deal with any sort of conflict which may arise despite the Dragon's peace with the Asha'man as the enforcers of the will of the council. Though there would have to be safeguards against misuse of that power.

Or  Rand could put the deathpenalty on sniffing, fist-on-hips-planting and braid-pulling. That is probably the most effective means to enforce the Dragon's Peace anyways.

Aviendha's vision at the columns states unequivocally that the Aiel are west of the Dragonwall for generations before the Raven Empire drives them back over it.

There's nothing about them having a sovereign nation, but my instinct says they will have one.  It's really nothing more than a guess.

Still, I feel pretty good about my three until someone blows me away with something better.

Aviendha's vision at the columns states unequivocally that the Aiel are west of the Dragonwall for generations before the Raven Empire drives them back over it.

There's nothing about them having a sovereign nation, but my instinct says they will have one.  It's really nothing more than a guess.

Still, I feel pretty good about my three until someone blows me away with something better.

Aviendha's vision isn't going to turn into reality. That's kind of the point of the vision, to give her a chance to alter the future.

If the DO is defeated and the Aiel give as many of their lives as we are all thinking they will, then they should be given sovereignty over the Blight.

I don't know how much TG will affect the global climate, but if the climate doesn't change and only the DO's influence disappears most of the Blight will end up covered in ice and snow a large part of the year and you will only end up seeing the sun half the year. The Blight is probably the only place in the world less hospitable than the Waste. Moving there would be another punishment. Besides in the Blight they wouldn't be any less cut off from the rest of the world than they will be in the Waste.

If the DO is defeated and the Aiel give as many of their lives as we are all thinking they will, then they should be given sovereignty over the Blight.

I don't know how much TG will affect the global climate, but if the climate doesn't change and only the DO's influence disappears most of the Blight will end up covered in ice and snow a large part of the year and you will only end up seeing the sun half the year. The Blight is probably the only place in the world less hospitable than the Waste. Moving there would be another punishment. Besides in the Blight they wouldn't be any less cut off from the rest of the world than they will be in the Waste.

A large part of the Aiel must stay in Arad Doman after the Last Battle, at least assuming that the Rhuidean fast-forward visions stay more or less accurate despite what Aviendha does to change it.  Padra kills a Seanchan patrol, which causes Tavalad to say:

"It is not against the Dragon's Peace for them to enter Arad Doman"

and Padra responds:

"Nor is it wrong for us to kill them for getting too close, clan chief ... If the Seanchan wish to risk inspecting our camp, then they need to know that it is a risk."

This implies to me that most of the Aiel probably stay near Arad Doman, although they still have a lot of their non-fighting population in the Aiel Waste including Rhuidean (although they may get wiped out in the Last Battle).  Again, this all assumes those Rhuidrean future visions were (and remain) accurate.

A large part of the Aiel must stay in Arad Doman after the Last Battle, at least assuming that the Rhuidean fast-forward visions stay more or less accurate despite what Aviendha does to change it.  Padra kills a Seanchan patrol, which causes Tavalad to say:

"It is not against the Dragon's Peace for them to enter Arad Doman"

and Padra responds:

"Nor is it wrong for us to kill them for getting too close, clan chief ... If the Seanchan wish to risk inspecting our camp, then they need to know that it is a risk."

This implies to me that most of the Aiel probably stay near Arad Doman, although they still have a lot of their non-fighting population in the Aiel Waste including Rhuidean (although they may get wiped out in the Last Battle).  Again, this all assumes those Rhuidrean future visions were (and remain) accurate.

As I said Aviendha's visions simply aren't a valid approximation of the future. They can't be considered prophecy. Aviendha can and will change the future of her people. So any and all details of that vision are subject to change and thus meaningless.

There are a few things we can take away from that vision, things that probably won't change, but the Aiel staying in Arad Doman is not one of them. It was made clear in the vision that that was part of their problem.

@b3arz3rg3r - the Ashaman are, but what about male channelers amongst the Aiel, the Seafolk or the Seanchan? The Aiel are arguably the most open to change, the Seafolk have shown open relucatance (which in the text annoys (to understate) Rand somewhat. The Seanchan would just go to a bigger problem.

I'm open to a different option to 'fight teh last battle' however :)

1) Dragon's Peace

2) We have seen that Rand doesn't like the aristocracy so perhaps since he knows everything LTT knew something which sets all those monarchies on the way towards democracy. The institutions of a house of commons through an election for example.

I know you can't create a top down democracy, but with his ta'veren effect he could very well spark the ideas of freedom, liberty and equality in all those who are assembled there which could lead to democratic revolutions over time.

3) If the Aiel settle in the lands west of the Dragonwall I think they'll need accepted borders or they'll have to fight for them. Probably lands between the Borderlands and Andor/Cairhien since that is the largest unclaimed peace of land and it keeps them as far as possible from the Seanchan.

If not the establishment of some sort of council where the various nations meet to deal with any sort of conflict which may arise despite the Dragon's peace with the Asha'man as the enforcers of the will of the council. Though there would have to be safeguards against misuse of that power.

Or Rand could put the deathpenalty on sniffing, fist-on-hips-planting and braid-pulling. That is probably the most effective means to enforce the Dragon's Peace anyways.

I don't think their's anything to suggest that democracy is going to enter Randland as a result of anything Rand does, if it does at all.

The Aiel lands are possible - the three demands are likely to be after Avi speaks of her visions, but this would seem to ask something of some people and not others.

I don't think their's anything to suggest that democracy is going to enter Randland as a result of anything Rand does, if it does at all.

Quite the opposite. RJ was not a great fan of democracy, calling himself a 'monarchist'. He might have been being facetious, but there are practically zero hints in the books that he thinks democracy is a good idea outside villages and the like. I gather he is one of those people who is of the opinion that democracy creates needless bureaucracy. Of course, absolutism is only a good alternative if you happen to have a wise ruler.

Quite the opposite. RJ was not a great fan of democracy, calling himself a 'monarchist'. He might have been being facetious, but there are practically zero hints in the books that he thinks democracy is a good idea outside villages and the like. I gather he is one of those people who is of the opinion that democracy creates needless bureaucracy. Of course, absolutism is only a good alternative if you happen to have a wise ruler.

I think there's plenty of hints that democracy is good, and a healthy dose of disdain for nobility and monarchies. Quite apart from villages, the White Tower is a democracy, of sorts, but one steeped in too many archaic laws and bureaucracy till Egwene came along. There's a lot of different places where the importance of checks and balances on power is either mentioned or strongly implied. The concept of a noble class is given a heavy amount of disdain, especially in Mat's PoV, but its there everywhere. 

I wouldn't take any of this to mean a sudden turn to democracy. But with the coming steam trains and cannon, I wouldn't be shockingly surprised either.

Archived