DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you ever want spoilers? Do you want to ruin the book? :P

We have had sentences and paragraphs. I'm not sure if we have had a single word or a chapter title yet, but I am quite content with the teasers they have given us.

+10.  IMO, the memories released so far have been pretty good, better than I expected based on the original announcement.

In fact, what I absolutely don't want to see are single words or chapter titles.  What kind of info can single words possible give?! Chapter titles  as memories would be quite useless too. Just look at the chapter titles in ToM. Some Tea, Judgement, A Good Soup. Immensely informative, aren't they? There isn't a single chapter title in ToM that I would have  wanted to see as a teaser. Or how about the ones we already know from AMOL? Eastward the Wind Blew, The Choice of an Ajah, The Last Battle. Who the heck would want those as memories?

Same goes for tGS with a single exception of "the Death of Tuon". But that's one chapter title in two books.

As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-

There's been discussion on Tam and Rand sparring, so, (just to be awkward) I'm going to say they are fighting two other people and not each other

edit:

Interesting that Rand lifts the sword, instead of his sword

I agree with herid, it seems strange out of context but I don't think it means anything. Imagine it like this:

"He still wasn't used to handle his practice sword one-handed. As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-"

It seems ok here, and the is used only to avoid repetition. Or they could be sparring with real swords and Rand could be holding Justice or Laman's sword, in which case the is even more suited than his.

Is it me or does the most recent Memory of Light (day 20) email seem cutoff?  Also, I have been a little disappointed in the quality of the emails.  Tor's emails states that Sentences, words, paragraphs, chapter titles...memories, if you will, of light will be released, but so far, it has been basically phrases.  Where are the spoilers and paragraphs?

I think they've been perfect except for a few exceptions. They give plenty to speculate on without giving spoilers.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Suttree" data-cid="2705242" data-time="1355595646"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="herid" data-cid="2705230" data-time="1355595096"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cem Önal" data-cid="2705217"><p><br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'><p><br />

As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-</p></blockquote>The sparring in Leigh Butler's review I guess.<br />

<br />

</p></blockquote>yes, I'm quite sure it is even though I was given 9 different reasons by Mark D that it can't possibly be the case. :)<br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="msbee" data-cid="2705225"><p>

Interesting that Rand lifts <em class='bbc'>the</em> sword, instead of his sword</p></blockquote>yes, this is a bit strange but might look ok once we have the full context. We don't know what the preceding sentence is.<br />

</p></blockquote>

Lol Herid!!! I was just looking for that post from Mark so I could quote it.</p></blockquote>

Lmao his post was the first thing I thought of.

I missed that post. It reminds me of this:

When I first discovered the fan websites and occasionally saw that someone had puzzled out correctly where I was going or what I intended to do, I thought about changing directions or altering the story to avoid what they had deduced. I quickly learned, however, that as soon as anyone put up a theory on one of the sites, there would be at least one poster explaining why the theory was no good and even impossible for every poster who hailed it as the new Unified Field Theory. So I didn't change anything after all.

Most likely the part that's cut off makes it clear that it's a sparring session. A lot of people seem to forget that it's only obvious that this memory refers to a sparring session  because of Leigh Butler's review. But It's clear that she has absolutely nothing to do with the memories and their choice was likely made in advance. Without her review this memory would be a lot more intriguing.

I find it intriguing as it is. We haven't seen Rand practice the sword since he lost his hand, and it will be interesting to see how they match up. Tam will probably also go one-handed.

PS—I have believed for a while that this is foreshadowing:

"It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he."

Lan shook his head slightly. "He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead."

Moiraine nodded. Surrender after you are dead. Yes.

I find it intriguing as it is. We haven't seen Rand practice the sword since he lost his hand, and it will be interesting to see how they match up. Tam will probably also go one-handed.

PS—I have believed for a while that this is foreshadowing:

"It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he."

Lan shook his head slightly. "He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead."

Moiraine nodded. Surrender after you are dead. Yes.

nice find.  I just finished rereading NS a few days ago but I missed this one.

I think Tam will do no such thing. The purpose of a sparring match is to simulate and prepare for actual combat. Rand has to overcome his handicap and he won't be able to do that if his partner handicaps himself as well. In all likelihood whenever Rand will have to fight with his sword he'll face an opponent who can use both hands. If Tam only uses one hand it can't be considered sparring it's just playing around. Rand won't learn from the experience.

And you don't feel a small measure of pride? Egwene asked herself. Rand al'Thor, once simple village boy and your near-betrothed, now the most powerful man in the world? You don't feel proud of what he's done?

Unexpected of Egwene.

Hardly. She had pretty similar sentiments in ToM.

^You know how it is with all those mindless Egwene haters... Sense? No, never heard of.
Calling it unexpected isn't a sign of being an Egwene hater. All it means is that one didn't expect that sort of introspection from Egwene. That's neither an insult nor an accusation.

At the very least it's a bad interpretation. Aside from what Fionwe said we have seen much more than that level of introspection a number of times throughout the series...having said that the comment was a bit much.

Archived