DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

@terez why would Rand say "You are not him" to Frastrider even if Farstrider shows up alive?

Incredulity.

Has to be rand finding out that Moridin is ishy. He still doesn't know that fact but has been seeing moridins face since book 7 i think? Also Leigh mentioned something along this line of we knowing a fact for ages but a character in the story not.

Rand realized who Moridin was when they met in the dream in TGS. He told Min when he woke up that Ishamael had returned. He realized in KOD that Moridin was the man he met in Shadar Logoth.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@terez why would Rand say "You are not him" to Frastrider even if Farstrider shows up alive?

Incredulity.

There is no exclamation mark here and nothing is stressed as fionwe pointed out. And Rand would not curse at meeting Jain Farstrider. Maybe Mat would but when has Rand ever done that, especially after VoG? Does not fit at all for Rand's possible reaction to Jain IMO.

Shot in the dark here, but maybe it is the long awaited Rand-Fain reunion. Fain has been undergoing some crazy evil-badassery transformation for a while so it's plausible he may no longer even look the same.

"Fain? Is that YOU? Oh. Oh my."

Tylee fits in that she would say she was fond of Perrin. But why in the world would Perrin demand to know why she was helping him? They don't see each other as antagonists.

of course they do. Tylee is a Seanchan. If the scene in question happens before the reconciliation with the Seanchan Perrin would have every reason to be surprised at her help.

I agree with you in general that Tylee is likely. But especially if the "help" is in TAR, Cyndane could appear to Perrin in any form she chose.

and which form would that be? why is it reasonable to assume that instead of assuming that Perrin is simply speaking to the person Cyndane is supposed to be impersonating?

Like I said I agree with you :) But the Cyndane-impersonating-somebody-with-whom Perrin has a prickly relationship possibility cannot be ruled out. As to who, any of several AS and WOs are possibles. Or even Lini. (Not in TAR but using MoM in real world). 

To me, the "You're not him" quote sounds as though somebody (a Forsaken of either gender) is impersonating Asmo  (Rand doesn't know he's dead.) and suddenly Rand twigs during conversation to the fact that it isn't.

Or maybe somebody (*Taim?) impersonating Bashere and ditto.

I think it's Rand talking to Roedran or Taim, having believed that one of them was Demandred. To Roedran during/after the FoM meetup would make sense. 

Rand continually tries to puzzle out the Forsaken's plans throughout the series.  I wouldn't find him saying this objectionable. 

finnssss posted one at TL that I like

A meeting between Rand and a high ranking Seanchan emissary has been arranged...Mat comes striding in of course.

as well as arioch's reply there

As with Rand's encounter with "the Daughter of the Nine Moons", he'll have a meeting set up with "the Prince of the Ravens". I like it.

finnssss posted one at TL that I like

A meeting between Rand and a high ranking Seanchan emissary has been arranged...Mat comes striding in of course.

as well as arioch's reply there

As with Rand's encounter with "the Daughter of the Nine Moons", he'll have a meeting set up with "the Prince of the Ravens". I like it.

lol, that would be very funny but it can not possibly work out. Mat can't bypass Merillor on his way to Ebu Dar and once Rand and Mat meet, Mat's relationship with Tuon will come out. Neither Thom, not Perrin will keep it a secret from Rand even if Mat wanted to.

Perrin may have kept quiet about Mat because of the mission to rescue Moiraine but that will be done with when both Mat and Moiraine arrive at Merrilor. And Thom will tell Rand for sure. he told Perrin despite Mat's objections.

"Light burn me," Rand said. "You're not him, are you?"

Farstrider. He somehow got out of Ghenjei alive. This would explain Leigh's comment:

Uh. Is that who I think it is? Because whooooa.

Funny, because my first thought on that one was Ingtar. But Farstrider works.

I always thought that Ingtar was the subject of her "Holy laws of conservation of characters..." comment...

EDIT: Also, as to todays, what about this: It's Rand talking to Logain, after just realising that he has been 13x13'd (or alternatively, someone is impersonating Logain now).

EDIT: Also, as to todays, what about this: It's Rand talking to Logain, after just realising that he has been 13x13'd (or alternatively, someone is impersonating Logain now).

I was thinking something similar. Logain is a good guess, but I think anyone who is 13x13'd that Rand knows. 

I was thinking something similar. Logain is a good guess, but I think anyone who is 13x13'd that Rand knows. 

Ohhh, this is a fun one!  My first thought is 13x13 as well. Perhaps one of Rand's personal A'M? Who did he send to infiltrate the BT?

I also LOVE the Roedran theory- that Rand (like the rest of us) has been trying to reason out where Demandred is, fingers Roedran, but OOPS, its not Roedran at all. That would be a great 'insider' joke.

Ohhh, this is a fun one!  My first thought is 13x13 as well. Perhaps one of Rand's personal A'M? Who did he send to infiltrate the BT?

I also LOVE the Roedran theory- that Rand (like the rest of us) has been trying to reason out where Demandred is, fingers Roedran, but OOPS, its not Roedran at all. That would be a great 'insider' joke.

Naeff is also one I was thinking of (the one Rand sent). Naeff returns to Rand at the FoM or something and says everything is sorted, no need to worry. Which of course, being 13x13, makes Rand extremely worried. 

When I first read it, I immediately thought of the reactions of others to the Turned people. It is very similar to how Pevara and Androl reacted. 

It would be funny if Demandred WANTS Rand to think he is Roedran (or some other ruler) and uses them as a proxy, weaves a MoM around them to "reveal himself" like Semirhage. So everyone is thinking HEY, THERE HE IS!. Then, Rand finds out otherwise and the jokes on him, while Demandred is off doing something else. 

Alternatively, Demandred IS Roedran (or some other ruler) and Rand etc.. finds out. However, he sends a decoy in his place via MoM, another fine joke. 

Roedran's body crashed to the ground, absorbed in smoke and flame. Rand peered into the seared face before it finally melted, realizing too late there was no inverted weave there after all. 

"Light burn me," Rand said. "You're not him, are you?"

"My Lord Dragon! Why?! He was your greatest supporter!" the Murandian General cried. Behind him fifty thousand thoroughly trained Murandian troops scattered to the winds in terror.

I am fond of you Perrin
@Gordar
Nice Tylee discussion, but we don't even know what Perrin is being helped with. As far as we know someone might have decided to help Perrin with his tent, even though Perrin believes he can do it by himself or with the people already helping him, while at the same time others in Perrin's camp could use the person's help a lot more.

If this is the case, it might be any female or even any non-human male character (I can only think of Loial, trollocs and animals though & I doubt trollocs and animals will tell Perrin they're fond of him)

Good call - if it's not Tylee, then I'd go with one of Failes retainers, maybe the Captain of her 'guards', Perrin is generally pretty impatient with them, or could be Lini (expect her to go with Morgase or Elayne), although I can't think of anything important they'd be helping out with.

Day 24:

"There were many good years. Good decades, good centuries. We believed we were living in paradise. Perhaps that was our downfall. We wanted our lives to be perfect, so we ignored imperfections. Problems were magnified through inattention, and war might have become inevitable if the Bore hadn't ever been made."

Most likely Rand, but I could imagine one of the Forsaken musing over his/her decision to swap to the Darkside.

A note regarding Mirror of Mists -- you don't have to be able to see a weave in order to sever it, not if you know where it is and what it's made of. Rand wouldn't need to exterminate Roedran just to be sure he's not someone else in disguise.

And, naturally, I agree with Terez on the new one. Not much there, really.

Archived