DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

AoL humans growing too institutionalized, complacent and tech dependent would definitely be critical factors for a degredation of society. A very slow decline would even inhibit reform attempts. The wheel of time has to turn, so their pseudo-utopia had to fall. Human error or Dark One, the pattern may dictate the cause but both have the same result. /format AoL

I really appreciate Sanderson/Jordan bringing this up in book, adds another level to WoT mechanics that will inevitably lead to countless hours of idle fandom philosophizing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RJ always said that it was far from a perfect society; that's why they had things like binders and binding chairs. It's the way Rand frames it that is strange. It's like Rand telling Min he was raised better this time, or Rand telling Egwene that he had been driven by a fear of irrelevance.

Indeed. RJ was pretty clear on the AoL and it's troubles. It's not like that quote is some huge revelation.

Additionally those things with Rand always jarred. I would add int the epiphany moment as well when he rambles off a bunch of lines that sound good individually but when put together don't really make much of a cohesive statement.

yes, some of Rand's philosophizing was off at times but by and large I found it tolerable. But I don't want to see any of that stuff as AMOL teasers. there is absolutely nothing new here. After all, according to Tor, "Some memories may shed new light on long-held theories and all are sure to have many different interpretations."

Does not apply in any way to this one.

I don't see how Rand philosophising post-epiphany is weird. He now has LTT's memories, and while LTT wasn't a philosopher like Ishamael, he certainly has every reason to philosophize. Like some of the other Foresaken, its like he went to sleep and woke up, except its only his memories, in this case. I find it perfectly acceptable that there are contemplative moments in Rand's conversations, now.

yes, some of Rand's philosophizing was off at times but by and large I found it tolerable. But I don't want to see any of that stuff as AMOL teasers. there is absolutely nothing new here. After all, according to Tor, "Some memories may shed new light on long-held theories and all are sure to have many different interpretations."

Does not apply in any way to this one.

I don't know that I agree with that, after all, we are discussing it, heh. Certainly it's not nearly as intriguing as many of the others, but only hindsight can really tell us if this was an important tidbit or not. Because it COULD be. I mean if this is a key part of Rand's pitch to the nations for his Dragon's Peace, which is going to be a key scene in the book, its meaningful.  Rand has always desperately wanted to establish a legacy, and this could be his sales pitch to do so.

@fionwe yes, I mostly agree. In fact, for me the most jarring thing coming to Rand from LTT was something that happened before VoG, not after. There is a moment in tGS, ch 42 when LTT says that he likes Weiramon because he is honest. I find this comment extremely weird and completely out of character. LTT was crazy but not stupid. He was never shown to be a bad judge of character before.

This has irony, coming from me.

Tonights Memory: "Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

I hope this is in the midst of a huge battle, before Cadsuane goes all out.

Or, you know, "Loial" shows her his writing on when she interacts with Tam, and Cadsuane can't stand it! :P

Could it be a line spoken by the "book ter'angreal"? I mean the AoL -paradise - war- quote.

I had the same thought as well but it seems too introspective from a historian, pre-breaking, to be included into the library ter'angreal.  If the flashbacks are any indication, all hell was breaking loose and the Aiel were loaded up and sent out as fast as possible to save what they could.

Could it be a line spoken by the "book ter'angreal"? I mean the AoL -paradise - war- quote.

No. The Bore is mentioned and the book ter'angreal only has books from before the Bore was drilled.

I don't think that is set in stone. The AS haven't, as of chapter 1, found a reference to the Bore. That might change.

This has irony, coming from me.

Tonights Memory: "Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

This is after Rand's death, I think. I can't think of anything else that would make Cadsuane lose control and swear.

I disagree, this is something pre-death, most likely deal with the assult party on the bore pt 2. either:

1.) She's not going to be in party

2.) She learns of plan to "BREAK ALL THE SEALS!"

Here's my prediction: Cadsuane is fighting someone, and an ally comes to help, and starts flinging Balefire. With the Pattern so weak, she would immediately try to stop it.

And the actual quote should read:

"Oh, blood and ashes, no!" Cadsuane said, spinning on them. "No, no, no."

The emphasis indicates a command to me, not surprise. Her no, no, no isn't denial. She's very firmly asking someone to stop.

I like today's memory.

@fionwe yes, I mostly agree. In fact, for me the most jarring thing coming to Rand from LTT was something that happened before VoG, not after. There is a moment in tGS, ch 42 when LTT says that he likes Weiramon because he is honest. I find this comment extremely weird and completely out of character. LTT was crazy but not stupid. He was never shown to be a bad judge of character before.

I know what you mean in a way but I think there's a lot of (very intentional) cross-over in TGS. There has always been cross-over, like Lews Therin thinking about growing up in the Two Rivers, and Rand thinking about orchards and whatnot. Lews Therin has, in addition, also been an expression of Rand's subconscious thoughts. Why did Rand tolerate Weiramon? Perhaps there was something about Weiramon's (albeit fake) flattery that fed Rand's ego. I don't think it's very helpful to think of the voice as being a true manifestation of Lews Therin's personality, especially considering the guy was only crazy for a day or three.

Rand being philosophical is not precisely the problem, though the idea that it's somehow more a part of his character than it is a part of Rand's is contradicted by Rand's statements to Moridin in the TGS dream. The problem is him randomly assigning motivations to things that 1) don't make much sense and 2) don't really require explanation in the first place. As a person said above, it is indeed reminiscent of Richard Rahl, and I don't see how this kind of thing coming from Rand somehow makes it better.

Archived