DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Personally, I was quite shocked reading Egwene's memory. She sounds so detached. As if she doesn't care whether Rand did something to be proud of or not. At least, the way I read it, she realized she is not proud of Rand's action that she's contemplating. For me, that doesn't bode well. As if she's going to decide to do something fully opposite to whatever Rand is going to suggest/plan.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^You know how it is with all those mindless Egwene haters... Sense? No, never heard of.
Calling it unexpected isn't a sign of being an Egwene hater. All it means is that one didn't expect that sort of introspection from Egwene. That's neither an insult nor an accusation.

You're right, it doesn't mean Egwene hate. But it certainly implies a remarkably blind reading of the books. Egwene is one of the most introspective characters in the books. Now if this was Nynaeve or Mat, then surprise would be understandable, though even those two have their moments.

I agree, although I think it's early in the Merrilor meeting. I'm thinking it's Egwene's thoughts when Rand first greets everyone. The only point of interest I find is that the scene is likely going to be in Egwene's POV, which, though expected, I find a bit disappointing.

I doubt it will be in only one POV.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it would have read better with an "a" in it: "Rand al'Thor, once a simple village boy and your near-betrothed, now the most powerful man in the world?"  I know it's sort-of ok grammar wise the other way, but I had to read it four times to understand it, and as far as I know, this book isn't Finnegans Wake.

I don't understand why my comment made a fuss. Whole series, Rand is the woolheaded shepherd that needs guidance to Egwene even if she is fond of her or in love with her or loyal to her whatever. It is a change for her. She has never expressed pride of him even when he is impressed with him in ToM. I don't like her but I don't think anyone cares what my personal opinion of her is and either way that hardly makes me a hater.

I don't understand why my comment made a fuss. Whole series, Rand is the woolheaded shepherd that needs guidance to Egwene even if she is fond of her or in love with her or loyal to her whatever. It is a change for her. She has never expressed pride of him even when he is impressed with him in ToM. I don't like her but I don't think anyone cares what my personal opinion of her is and either way that hardly makes me a hater.

Again, she thought of poor Rand, locked away. She and he shared something now. A kinship beyond a common childhood in the Two Rivers. They had both suffered Elaida's punishments. And it hadn't broken either of them.

She looked at him, and remembered the youth that he had been. The earnest young man. Not solemn like Perrin, but not wild like Mat. Solid, straightforward. The type of man you could trust with anything.

Even the fate of the world.

You and I have different ideas of being proud of someone. The first is common suffering and praise to mental strength, not pride but being impressed or she might just think it the infamous Two Rivers stubornness. Second is trustworthiness, well that vanishes pretty fast and she goes right on trying to stop him from breaking the Seals. She is not even impressed by Rand until the Amyrlin's Anger, she is expecting Rand to be angry, suspicious and arrogant. She is surprised to find him confident and calm. If you go back a few days, she thinks Rand is a good man but he needs guidance which means whatever path she thinks Rand is following is wrong. Well, she is right about that at the time.

This is the first time she is expressing pride of him, even she thinks so. You would hardly ask yourself "And you don't feel a small measure of pride?" if you did not think it for the first time.

I did. All she has done is concede that the Seals may have to be broken at some point but they could not risk Rand's "crack-brained schemes" with it. Hardly a change of position and even that smelled retcon to me (and others) because at the end of ToM, only a few hours ago, she insists to Gawyn that the Seals should not be broken. Her answer when Elayne says maybe they should let him is "Light!" in disbelief as I remember.

I did. All she has done is concede that the Seals may have to be broken at some point but they could not risk Rand's "crack-brained schemes" with it. Hardly a change of position and even that smelled retcon to me (and others) because at the end of ToM, only a few hours ago, she insists to Gawyn that the Seals should not be broken. Her answer when Elayne says maybe they should let him is "Light!" in disbelief as I remember.

Going from saying the seals must not be broken and gathering armies to her side to doing research and admitting that Rand was right but it needs to be done at the proper time.  Oh it was a retcon all right but hardly a change of position!?!?

Okay, she changes her opinion constantly, I'll give you that much but I'll not go so far as to say she admitted Rand being right. One minute, she is lecturing Elayne why it should not be done, the next she is saying that she is not saying it shouldn't be done, and then the next she is saying again she is not convinced it should be done.

You and I have different ideas of being proud of someone. The first is common suffering and praise to mental strength, not pride but being impressed or she might just think it the infamous Two Rivers stubornness. Second is trustworthiness, well that vanishes pretty fast and she goes right on trying to stop him from breaking the Seals. She is not even impressed by Rand until the Amyrlin's Anger, she is expecting Rand to be angry, suspicious and arrogant. She is surprised to find him confident and calm. If you go back a few days, she thinks Rand is a good man but he needs guidance which means whatever path she thinks Rand is following is wrong. Well, she is right about that at the time.

This is the first time she is expressing pride of him, even she thinks so. You would hardly ask yourself "And you don't feel a small measure of pride?" if you did not think it for the first time.

You're changing your position here. The first time, you claimed it was unexpected of Egwene. Not that this was a unique thought, which it is. My point was that if she can praise his strength, trust him with the fate of the world, etc., being proud of his journey is hardly unexpected.

Okay, she changes her opinion constantly, I'll give you that much but I'll not go so far as to say she admitted Rand being right. One minute, she is lecturing Elayne why it should not be done, the next she is saying that she is not saying it shouldn't be done, and then the next she is saying again she is not convinced it should be done.

I think we all know that this ludicrous shifting of positions is hardly indicative of Egwene's character. We all know where the fault for this falls...

How am I changing position? It's a change from what we've seen of Egwene so far, therefore I was not expecting it. That's been my opinion from the start.

The other thing is very poor writing on Brandon's part for, I suspect, plot convenience. It was never about Egwene's character, if anything it's out of her character.

herid said:

Cem Önal said:

As Tam attacked again, Rand lifted the sword and-

The sparring in Leigh Butler's review I guess.

yes, I'm quite sure it is even though I was given 9 different reasons by Mark D that it can't possibly be the case. :)

msbee said:

Interesting that Rand lifts the sword, instead of his sword

yes, this is a bit strange but might look ok once we have the full context. We don't know what the preceding sentence is.

assuming it's a sparring session and not a real fight, they'll be using wooden swathes (or whatever practice swords are called) not their own swords. Don't think this is suspicious or important.

MarkD

Well I guess I lost this bet...

Tam also going one handed would make it a lot more believable.

Rand so far wants to practice against the best, he won't let Tam go 1-handed, as that would be counter-productive for when he fights against 2-handed people :)

I don't see why it can't be both. Apparently there's a different technique to one-handed swordplay, and if Lan can demonstrate during sparring, Tam can too.

Yep.

Most one-handed forms (while using a heavier blade) are for use with a shield but can be adapted.

Has to do with your feet/footing mainly.

Archived