DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Well, "demand" doesn't have to mean that. Not both these things. Any one of them, or anything similar, would work as well.

And Tylee might help Perrin in something that isn't completely counterproductive to the Empire, but isn't productive either. She might portion off some of her forces to do so, leaving her position slightly weakened. Or she might argue his case in front of a superior. There are many possible reasons why Perrin wouldn't have expected her to help him.

This is just me going off memory, but usually when people "demand" to know something in WoT, they're a little angry, at least. I just don't see that in a Tylee-Perrin conversation. They're both so mellow, as people, and especially around each other.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tylee fits in that she would say she was fond of Perrin. But why in the world would Perrin demand to know why she was helping him? They don't see each other as antagonists.

of course they do. Tylee is a Seanchan. If the scene in question happens before the reconciliation with the Seanchan Perrin would have every reason to be surprised at her help.

But he wouldn't "demand" to know anything. He'd probably understand why she's helping him.

why would he understand? The Seanchan are still enemies and heir old deal is over. Perrin respects Tylee but he definitely doesn't trust her. Even in their last scene together he still thinks of dealing with the Seanchan as being almost the same as dealing with the DO.

Or he would ask her in a gentler way. "Demand", to me, implies suspicion and surprise both. Perrin may be surprised Tylee is helping him. But not suspicious, I think. While she says she grew fond of him, he also grew to respect her. While they're both aware they may have to face each other in the future, I don't think either will feel antagonistic with each other.

I don't see much in this. as I said, the Seanchan are still the enemies and Perrin has every reason to be suspicious of them.

This is just me going off memory, but usually when people "demand" to know something in WoT, they're a little angry, at least.
How much is a little? Billy Congar was displeased with Nynaeve, but how angry can he get in a moment's notice, when he spots Tam passing by?
"What are we going to do about Nynaeve, al'Thor?" Congar demanded. "We can't have a Wisdom like that for Emond's Field."
Nor does Mat really have a reason to be overly excited here:
"Why didn't you tell us?" Mat demanded in an aggrieved voice. "The whole village would have had as much fun with the waiting as with the gleeman. Or almost, anyway. You can see how everybody's been over just a rumor of fireworks."
I'll stop here, though I could probably continue.

I doubt it's Lanfear as she has switched bodies and Perrin isn't likely to know this. So some random person walks up and tells him she's a reincarnated Forsaken? Doubtful. 

My feeling on this one could be two tings: someone helping him find Slayer in T'a'R. Are there any female adversaries Perrin has encountered in the Dreamworld?

OR: A Seanchan to Perrin. I can't think of any other females that Perrin would address like this. He's familiar with Egwene through the dream so I doubt it's her and I doubt she has time. The only thing that comes to my mind is a Seanchan, Perrin seems shocked and doubtful about the offer for help, he's looking for a hook and who better than a Seanchan? 

Nice Tylee discussion, but we don't even know what Perrin is being helped with. As far as we know someone might have decided to help Perrin with his tent, even though Perrin believes he can do it by himself or with the people already helping him, while at the same time others in Perrin's camp could use the person's help a lot more.

If this is the case, it might be any female or even any non-human male character (I can only think of Loial, trollocs and animals though & I doubt trollocs and animals will tell Perrin they're fond of him)

This story is going to have twists, my friends. Many of you seem quite certain as to the way things will work, when one might be better served to being open to wild changes. That said, my money is on Slayer making a switch as a result of finally recognizing that the end is near, the REAL end. My guess is that when the Dark One shows himself, all allegiances go out the window.

I like these releases, they are better than nothing, but at the same time I sort of wish they were releasing chapter names instead of these tiny little sentences! They are so frustrating!! But more fun I suppose :)

Well, "A Good Soup" wasn't exactly very revealing despite being a chapter title.

"Why are you helping me?" Perrin demanded.

"I'm fond of you, Perrin."

The way I read this is that the person helping Perrin is a) female, b) doing it apparently counter to her own interests or loyalties (or perhaps counter to her prior selfishness/laziness), and c) has a specific reason for doing this and is stating her fondness as an evasion--but, an evasion done with a bit of an eyewink to Perrin, suggesting both that she expects Perrin to see through the evasion AND that she actually is somewhat fond of Perrin and expects him to know it.

This doesn't fit Tylee to me. She's a soldier and she always acts with a soldiers forthright honesty--both in displaying her fondness for Perrin, and in her evasions. Rather than dissemble in a cute way (as is seemingly occuring in the quote) she'd simply meet the question with bland silence, and then re-iterate her offer for help, and leave Perrin to accept it or decline it knowing she has her own motivations. It's the same way she reponds when he questions her about things relating to the raid on the White Tower, for instance.

Of course that doesn't mean its not Tylee. Brandon responses can be a tad formulaic and non-specific to character, which means it could really be any character so long as she's female... but it doesn't fit to me.

Morgase seems viable. She has a close enough relationship with Perrin to be coy, but enough respect to expect him to see through it--and her helping Perrin, especially if its apparently against Elayne's wishes (I doubt it would be truly against Elayne's good, but possibly it could be against her command)...

An Aes Sedai seems equally viable--in particular Alanna. No... wait, I know who this is....

It's Verin. Case closed. Everyone can go home now. :D

I could also possibly see it being a Wise One, although they DO tend to use both names when addressing people...  

On a somewhat lighter note, it could be either Bain & Chiad saying this to Perrin, indicating their "interest", and they are doing something against gai'shain to help him.  This is foreshadowing of the first "2 brother-husbands & 3 sister-wives" relationship in Randland.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="herid" data-cid="2695686" data-time="1354991363"><p>

I still find it strange for Amy to call it "this weave" rather than Traveling (or whatever else she means) if this is something already known to the Wise Ones. <br />

</p></blockquote>probably because the name of the weave was mentioned in the preceding sentence, making its repetition look like a second grader wrote it.

Could be Tylee but wouldn't she call him by his full name?

When they parted they decided to call each other by their first names. That was rather a big deal for both of them.

"Why are you helping me?" Perrin demanded.

"I'm fond of you, Perrin."

I don't think this is Berelain, at this point. Tylee, maybe? Or an Aes Sedai, like Alanna?

My first thought was Galad, re Perrin's remark about being fond of the horse!

Out of the question. A horse is one thing. One man being fond of another man is something else. I can't think of a single instance of  this phrase being used between two males in the series. Not to mention that Galad swore to obey Perrin.

Neither can I, but does that matter?

And this could have happened after TG, during a 'mopping-up' phase.

What the hey. It's not important.

"Light burn me," Rand said. "You're not him, are you?"

Farstrider. He somehow got out of Ghenjei alive. This would explain Leigh's comment:

Uh. Is that who I think it is? Because whooooa.

Funny, because my first thought on that one was Ingtar. But Farstrider works.

I'm trying to figure out the tone of this... is this an exclamation of surprise as in 'No way! You couldn't be him! You are! OMG, Mr. Bieber, it is simply a pleasure!'

Or is it a genuine question as in 'I really thought you were him, but you're not, are you?'

Actually, you know what occurs to me, mostly as a joke--Rand coming to think Taim was Demandred--or Moridin maybe--and this being the moment he clearly realises he's not. Direct in-world development of theory then subsequent theory debunking would fit this...

AHAHAHA. Just in case there were any trolls out there still insisting on it, eh?

Bit too meta though. Lol.

I'm trying to figure out the tone of this... is this an exclamation of surprise as in 'No way! You couldn't be him! You are! OMG, Mr. Bieber, it is simply a pleasure!'

Or is it a genuine question as in 'I really thought you were him, but you're not, are you?'

Actually, you know what occurs to me, mostly as a joke--Rand coming to think Taim was Demandred--or Moridin maybe--and this being the moment he clearly realises he's not. Direct in-world development of theory then subsequent theory debunking would fit this...

AHAHAHA. Just in case there were any trolls out there still insisting on it, eh?

Bit too meta though. Lol.

I think its something like this. If this were Farstrider or someone, I think Rand would have said:

You're not him, are you?

Then it would be surprise. As it is, I think its more about frustration that they got the wrong guy. Rand isn't very curse happy, especially these days. I don't think this kind of reaction from him will be for something minor.

Has to be rand finding out that Moridin is ishy. He still doesn't know that fact but has been seeing moridins face since book 7 i think? Also Leigh mentioned something along this line of we knowing a fact for ages but a character in the story not.

Edit: it's also a confrontation we know has to happen at some point in the book.

Archived