DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

We have some conflicting info on the peaches. RJ said they actually evolved to become poisonous. Harriet said it was a fear-based legend originating in the poisonous pits. I have a feeling this one goes toward what Harriet said about it, and that someone will actually eat some peaches and prove they're not poisonous after all. But in that case I don't like it because Rand should have already suspected that from his Lews Therin memories; the Forsaken have said that they were not poisonous in the Age of Legends.

The Forsaken also said that currently the peaches are poisonous.

in Demandred's POV in WH, ch 11 he thinks this about Cyndane.

The little woman drew herself up. By face and form she was a luscious plum, ready for plucking, but her big blue eyes were glacial. A peach, perhaps. Peaches were poisonous, here and now.

So either the peaches have become poisonous through mutation since the AOL or Demandred simply accepts the currently prevalent view that they did. It is not so surprising that Rand would do the same.

Nothing in this post makes any sense. First, I never said that the Forsaken didn't think peaches were poisonous in this Age.

I never said that you did. I was merely adding a bit of info. what's your beef with that, exactly?
Second, Rand was raised in the Third Age, so clearly he's familiar with the lore of the Age. It's his Age of Legends knowledge that should make him question it in the situation I described.

Demandred's quote shows that he doesn't question it either. He is from the AOL too. And he should question it even more than Rand because he didn't grow up with the current notion that peaches are poisonous. yet he does not.

Perhaps it would be more natural for both of them to question. The fact that they don't makes it more likely that they both know this as a fact and not just as something that everybody assumes to be true.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Second, Rand was raised in the Third Age, so clearly he's familiar with the lore of the Age. It's his Age of Legends knowledge that should make him question it in the situation I described.
Demandred's quote shows that he doesn't question it either. He is from the AOL too.

HE IS NOT IN THE SITUATION I DESCRIBED.

Maybe that someone told Rand about the assassins who attacked Elayne in WH's and used the powder from peach pits to poison their knives... A bit weak, but I can't think of other reason for Rand saying this.

I can't imagine why anybody would bring this up at this point in the story.

As discussed earlier, there are other possibilities, namely, somebody discovering that peaches are not actually poisonous or peaches turning non poisonous for some reason. This has to happen eventually. I also have a hunch that this memory is related to the following part of Leigh Butler's review.

*falls over laughing* Oh my God, that is hilarious. And somewhere a certain someone is saying SO THERE, IT WAS RELEVANT, WASN’T IT. Touché, Team Jordan. Touché.

this could be anything, because Perrin compares just about everything to blacksmithing, especially recently.

he does but considering his pov in tom about getting new metal and reforging into a new weapon as an analogy to breaking the seals and recreating them and since hes talking to rand its extremelly obvious that its to do with the seals.

# 29:

“Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?”

Birgitte grimaced. “I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.”

We don't have much to go on with this. But if I must guess, I'd say they're in the Braem Woods outside of Caemlyn. With Mat. Maybe. Or maybe the Haddon Mirk, though I don't know why. Those are the only two named forests on the map. We at least have a little reason to suspect the Braem Woods.

I'd disagree, Mat and Birgitte tend to have more banter in their relationship. Plus given when Mat was finding out about the Finn's from her she mentioned that she was disappointed that that particular tale of her past had not survived. Everyone knows at least some of the stories about Birgitte, not just Gleemen.

So far the only other person to talk to Birgitte like that, when planning for Ghenjei was Mat. Without recalling the exact words it seems to be very similar to the tone of the conversation they had then. They generally have a playful relationship with each other and this seems like a playful not entirely serious quote. Thom meanwhile does not really have much of a relationship with Birgitte. 

Mat doesn't know all of Birgitte's stories. Thom is the one with these kinds of surprises. He knew that Noal was Jain Farstrider all along (or long before he was exposed in ToM) but never said a word. He probably knows a few dozen stories of Birgitte.

Winding down the last couple of weeks, I hope they start giving us full paragraphs over the last 10 days.

Day 30:

Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

Seems like those speculating that The Song will be important for the Last Battle, might have been onto something ^^

Day 30:

Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

Seems like those speculating that The Song will be important for the Last Battle, might have been onto something ^^

And I think we also have proof that Rand's resisting of the DO's touch is active.

Archived