DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Are you talking about the two paragraphs of today's memory? I suspected that they're unrelated (or rather, don't appear in sequence in the book), but your reply implies that you know that for fact?

The email says so. Not that they are necessarily unrelated, but that they're separate.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

This seems to be something "after" the DO is defeated and Rand wakes up from his 3-day coma. It is nice to see the land grow green again. Fresh from finishing a reread a few days back, that dreary sky was depressive to read!

A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

This might be Ogier singing; or singing in the Old Tongue. My first thought on who the "she" is: Min or Aviendha.

Can a number of these be linked together? (forgive the lack of references, wine and I'm a newbie)

Rand: You're not him... everyone knows peaches are poisonous...

A FS makes a slip while disguised as a AB character (Demandred as someone?)

Mat: The seanchan Travel to WT only to find it mostly empty and the largest AB army assembled sat outside, Mat 'I'll deal with the MD'.. goes out to parley 'creator shelter us', 'that's what she said'...

Travelling: 'Nobody travels the Ways', 'We must not use this weave' (mentioned before)

Seanchan:  'This woman is my new Soe'feia.' and ' never say to an Aes Sedai' (Setalla?)

Memory #29

“Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?”

Birgitte grimaced. “I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.”

So far the only other person to talk to Birgitte like that, when planning for Ghenjei was Mat. Without recalling the exact words it seems to be very similar to the tone of the conversation they had then. They generally have a playful relationship with each other and this seems like a playful not entirely serious quote. Thom meanwhile does not really have much of a relationship with Birgitte. 

Agreed. This can only be Mat or perhaps, Elayne. Nobody else discusses Birgitte's past lives with her so freely. Definitely not Thom. Birgitte would freak out if he said something like that. She reacts completely matter-of-factly here. I would go with Mat because Elayne never talked to Birgitte about this topic onscreen.

The more interesting question is what forest they are talking about and why. I can only recall a few mentioned by name in WoT. Westwood in the Two Rivers, Great Blackwood across the river from the Two Rivers.  It is, however, rather unlikely that either one is involved.  Both are quite remote and would likely not be associated with any Birgitte stories. Certainly none of the Two River people ever mentioned anything of the sort and I imagine they would

There are also Braem Wood  and Haddon Mirk that Agitel mentioned.  Braem Wood is north of Caemlyn, that's where the Borderlander armies were sitting in WH. It's a possibility although I don't know what Mat or Elayne or Birgitte would be doing there. It's sufficiently far from Caemlyn not to be involved in that battle or in the battle for the BT. Lastly, there is Haddon Mirk in Tear. Various rebels against Rand hid there so perhaps it's involved in some military operation although again, hard to see why.

# 29:

“Didn’t you once lead a band of thieves out of this forest?”

Birgitte grimaced. “I was hoping you hadn’t heard that one.”

We don't have much to go on with this. But if I must guess, I'd say they're in the Braem Woods outside of Caemlyn. With Mat. Maybe. Or maybe the Haddon Mirk, though I don't know why. Those are the only two named forests on the map. We at least have a little reason to suspect the Braem Woods.

Reminds me of Robin Hood

I had a 'crazy theory' about that.....  :wacko:

Day 30

Memory 1

Rand strode forward, lifting his arms out to the sides. Grass sprouted in waves, red blossoms burst from the ground like a blush upon the land. The storm stilled, the dark clouds burned away by light.

Memory 2

A joyful song, a song of awe and wonder, though she could not understand the words.

These may or may not be Egwene's (or someone else's though that seems unlikely) dreams. 

Good point. In fact, I'm pretty sure that at least the first one is either from one of Egwene's prophetic dreams or that it happens in TAR after Rand dies but before he is resurrected.

It  would not be from the fight with the DO directly as that will happen in the Pit of Doom and the description doesn't fit. It also doesn't look like it's from after the LB because there is still a storm going on. So it should be from some time before the LB is over. And the ways things are going (with Rand no longer  being able to prevent the cloudy sky over Merrilor) I don't see this taking place in the real world.

The second one looks related to the Song. It could also be from a dream but not necessarily. I believed for a while that Rand will bring it back. He should know how to do it with his LTT memories and there is this prophecy from tEoTW prologue

And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

This can be a metaphor of course, but I rather think it isn't as it would be a rather strange one IMO. Besides, there are a few other early hints that this will happen. I'm not sure if the Song will play a role in the sealing itself but I do believe that it will be needed to fix things afterwards.

Certainly there seem to be emotional undercurrents there. That seems to imply that the subject is Rand. 

Also though unlikely it could be Gareth Bryne, though I would not see how that fits in with anything in the bigger picture of things.

Most likely it would be the aftermath of Rand telling Elayne that he will not assist driving the Trolloc invasion out of Andor. Why that would constitue a break though I do not know? After reading the prologue + Chapter 1 where Rand informs Perrin of his intentions for Elayne saying 

“We can’t let Elayne leave,” Rand said.
and disregarding sending assistance
“No,” Rand said, though the word hurt. “Perrin, if the city really is overrun—I’ll send men through gateways to be certain—then it’s lost. Taking back those walls would take far too much effort, at least right now. We cannot let this coalition break apart before I have a chance to forge it together. Unity will preserve us. If each of us goes running off to put out fires in our homelands, then we will lose. That’s what this attack is about.”

I'm thinking that Gawyn has 'broken' off from his traditional duties in Andor and wants to stay by Egwene's side 

But Elayne was fine with him doing effectively that in TOM and allowed him to do so even going to the point of encouraging him to do so.

She could not really expect to call back the Amrylin seat's warder anyway.

Unless for some reason she desperately wants his aid to defend Caemlyn, unlikely though.

I'm thinking that Gawyn has 'broken' off from his traditional duties in Andor and wants to stay by Egwene's side 

But Elayne was fine with him doing effectively that in TOM and allowed him to do so even going to the point of encouraging him to do so.

Unless for some reason she desperately wants his aid to defend Caemlyn, unlikely though.

My read is that Elayne will be true to form and rush off to fight for an already lost Caemlyn despite everyone else on the planets entreaties not to. It makes sense because its the most stupid, short sighted, rash thing to do, and its Elayne we're talking about.  So if Egwene disagrees with her, and she goes to fight alone, she may well be thinking of her brother as one of the many people who aren't willing to side with her idiocy, and this would be an appropriate quote. And perhaps Egwene even gave him the choice and he declined.  Of course from Elayne's perspective he's choosing not to help her (as everyone else wisely decides as well) instead of simply making the smartest choice to fight the LB.

Rand seems much more likely than Mat. Imagine if Elayne and Rand actually break up. Too bad it will only be temporary...

But with the bond, there's no way for Rand to achieve any real break-up. Elayne is going to know he still loves her.

Mat is very likely, because Elayne and Mat get along well now, and Mat's Band signed on as Elayne's soldiers. If he now tells her he's going to go to Ebou Dar to take his place near Tuon, Elayne wouldn't be happy with it. And such an action would mean a "break", since for the moment at least, Andor and the Seanchan are on opposite sides of the conflict.

I can totally see this happening if Mat comes to Merrilor before going to Ebou Dar. Elayne would ask him to help her fight in Caemlyn. And he'd refuse because he thinks brining the Seanchan to Rand is more important.

My read is that Elayne will be true to form and rush off to fight for an already lost Caemlyn despite everyone else on the planets entreaties not to. It makes sense because its the most stupid, short sighted, rash thing to do, and its Elayne we're talking about.  So if Egwene disagrees with her, and she goes to fight alone, she may well be thinking of her brother as one of the many people who aren't willing to side with her idiocy, and this would be an appropriate quote. And perhaps Egwene even gave him the choice and he declined.  Of course from Elayne's perspective he's choosing not to help her (as everyone else wisely decides as well) instead of simply making the smartest choice to fight the LB.

We already know that Elayne has decided not to take back Caemlyn. 

Archived