DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

There is actually new memory out "What did you do when one power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above the common folk".

Expect for wanting to replace the last you with yourself, leaves me sorta unaffected.

That can only be Aes Sedai PoV. But naming that person is difficult as super girls still too connected to common ppl, Pevara doesn't really fit, Siuan and Leanne don't fit after stilling, kinda lost their arrogance there. Moraine and Cadsuane are even worse fit.

Could it be Elaida PoV? She is arrogant and feels entitled enough for the thougth while being damane would explain the failing of one power.

My guess: Logain to Taim.

Taim was not a Darkfriend when he declared himself the Dragon.  It was only after he was captured that he was approached by Darkfriends, who said they would help free him.  What did he do when the Power failed him?  He threw in with the Dark One.

Of course, that may not have been enough for those that freed him.  Taim was likely turned via a 13x13 circle after he was freed.  That may explain why Bashere was wary of whether Taim was actually Taim when they encountered each other in front of Rand.

But so far we have seen very tell tale signs of people who have been 13x13'd. The blank eyes etc. 

I do not think that has ever been explicitly mentioned by Taim and if it was then I would have thought it would have at least been mentioned at at time when our knowledge of 13x13'd was less than subsequent to the whole BT outbreak of them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there an age that does where the op is not a available ?

@ mrblack: I do not think Taim was turned. He does not have the eyes, and he had been channeling for years with little visable damage from the taint that coupled with various hints throughout the book i.e. certain weaves and knowledge from the AoL leases me to believe he was given at least some instruction from Ishy and his being a df predates his declaration of being the DR

Isn't there an age that does where the op is not a available ?

@ mrblack: I do not think Taim was turned. He does not have the eyes, and he had been channeling for years with little visable damage from the taint that coupled with various hints throughout the book i.e. certain weaves and knowledge from the AoL leases me to believe he was given at least some instruction from Ishy and his being a df predates his declaration of being the DR

Well, no one has known what to look for until fairly recently, and it was only discovered after individuals were turned who were known to others before their turning.  People could see a difference after the turning.  We have seen very few people who knew Taim before he appeared in the books.  In fact, we've only seen one: Bashere.  As I noted, Bashere wasn't quite sure of Taim's identity when he first appeared.  That's always struck me as odd, notwithstanding Taim's explanation that he'd "shaved."  

The taint doesn't always take people right away.  Besides, one could imagine that what the Dark One can give, the Dark One can take away.  Heck, Nynaeve can heal madness now, so I imagine the Dark One can do the same.  Any knowledge Taim has could have been given after he was freed.

The new one - "The Blight had consumed the Two Rivers." Pretty huge, if it's not a dream or something like this (which seems likely).

Yeah could be a nightmare or something.  I mean the Blight is appearing at random all over in a spotty fashion but it's a pretty big jump from that to a whole region 1000 leagues south of the conventional Blight-border

I was wondering at the past perfect too. I don't think it can be a non-literal vision of Min. Her visions are of the future and they only show single moments in time. I think a prophetic dream doesn't work given the use of the past perfect either.  Somebody's nightmare is an option however.

It does seem like a vision. Perhaps Bode Cauthon is being tested for AS. Or it's some bizarre side-effect of 13x13

Maybe somebody with mixed Aiel and TR blood (!) walks backwards Avi-style through the Rhuidean ter'angreal and and sees this vision.
It is barely possible that such a mix exists in the Blight city if a Red veiled talent was mated with a prisoner who had somehow been captured from the TR. Or if some other TR gunslinger apart from Tam had fought in the Aiel War and ended up in bed with an Aiel.

I'm thinking this will be when things get really bad, not in a vision or dream, but  in reality.  I was thinking about the previous MOL with Rand walking with outstretched arms and things growing beside him.  Perhaps the song is found then, and then the Blight will be pushed back or even eliminated?

The only time Moridin/Ishy might have channeled saidin was in the WH prologue when Rand gets dizzy without channeling himself. The link (and the dizziness) between him and Moridin is always activated by Rand channeling saidin and likely the same should be true for Moridin too. Luckers has a very good write up about this.

But I don't see how this can  possibly be related to the memory you quote. Moridin/Ishy started using the TP instead of the OP by his own choice and not because the OP failed.

I believe this is either one of the Asha'man thinking in some situation when they can't rely on the OP (say, if faced with Mat or Cadsuane and their ter'angreal) or it could be a nonchanneler (such as Perrin) thinking about a similar situation but not in relation to themselves.

Two Rivers is probably going to be a pretty big target for the Shadow, because of the main characters. Attack it, and you distract most of the main cast, which could divert the forces of Tar Valon (under Egwene), the Seachan (under Mat) and most of the dragonsworn (under Rand). It's a strategic importance.<br /><br />Hopefully those walls Perrin made can hold up.

The only time Moridin/Ishy might have channeled saidin was in the WH prologue when Rand gets dizzy without channeling himself. The link (and the dizziness) between him and Moridin is always activated by Rand channeling saidin and likely the same should be true for Moridin too. Luckers has a very good write up about this.

But I don't see how this can  possibly be related to the memory you quote. Moridin/Ishy started using the TP instead of the OP by his own choice and not because the OP failed.

I believe this is either one of the Asha'man thinking in some situation when they can't rely on the OP (say, if faced with Mat or Cadsuane and their ter'angreal) or it could be a nonchanneler (such as Perrin) thinking about a similar situation but not in relation to themselves.

It's admittedly a far out there thought (I hesitate to even call it a theory), but I wonder whether Moridin can even touch the One Power anymore.  Perhaps he was accidentally or intentionally severed after the Bore was made, and that despair drove him to the Dark One.  Ishamael would have been completely reliant on the True Power to channel.  While it appears that the ability to channel is a prerequisite of being able to access the True Power, we don't know enough about it to say that one who has been stilled or severed would not still be able to use it.  Ishamael's inevitable overuse of the power would have bound him to the Dark One body and soul.

I admit that this is a pretty out there idea; again, I hesitate to even call it a theory.  Just something rattling around in my head after reading that memory.  There are far better explanations for Ishamael's defection to the Dark One, not the least of which is Rand's statement that his logic destroyed him.

RJ said this in an interview

Interview: Sep 4th, 2005

Question
Can a person who cannot channel the One Power, can they use the True Power of the Dark One?
Robert Jordan
No.

There are no qualifiers in this answer so I think it should apply to a person that was stilled. and there has certainly never been anything to suggest that Moridin or Ishy has ever been stilled. That idea should go to the loony bin.

RJ said this in an interview

Interview: Sep 4th, 2005

Question
Can a person who cannot channel the One Power, can they use the True Power of the Dark One?
Robert Jordan
No.

There are no qualifiers in this answer so I think it should apply to a person that was stilled. and there has certainly never been anything to suggest that Moridin or Ishy has ever been stilled. That idea should go to the loony bin.

It's not a qualified answer, but then the question seems to be directed at people who cannot natively channel, rather than someone who has been stilled or severed (who, as we have seen, can now be healed such that they can channel again).  I don't think Jordan's response rules out my idea, although I do admit it's more than a bit looney. ;)

Archived