DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

Today's memory is - "We'll remember those who fell, and we'll tell our children how we stood when the clouds turned black and the world started to die. We'll tell them we stood shoulder to shoulder, and there was just no space for the Shadow to squeeze through."

Man very bleak and worrisome.

Bleak and worrisome? I read it more as proud and triumphant. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first read this as a celebratory speech after the Last Battle by Rand or whoever led the Forces of Light at the very end (Egwene, Mat, Lan, etc).

However, rereading it, it sounds like Lan at Tarwin's Gap, specifically the very end: "...no space for the Shadow to squeeze through".

Loial at the stump?

I had thought about it as well, but in my opinion, he would have talked more about the nature, or more about the stump.

Maybe: "And the trees darkened black and they grass died brown, but we continued forward..."

I'm not good at predicting lines. I'm so sorry.

I was disappointed in the memory tbh. Line started well but I felt the end to be meh, which annoys me. It's supposed to make you ready for shit to get serious but to me it didn't really work tbh.

I think the ending is what brings it all together. As it works to well on a figurative as well as literal level. Especially, as I said, if this is someone like Perrin rallying the Two Rivers Men during a last stand. As the shield wall of a phalanx rests on it's ability to allow no breaks. If any part falls, the whole will fall apart. It's how the Spartans held Thermopylae until they were flanked.

It works on a figurative level because the series has concentrated so much on the harm of infiltrators eating the light side from the inside. One of Rand's aims for ToM and hopefully following over into this book, is that the Shadow can no longer hide. No more division from the inside, if you want to attack it has to be from the other side.

That's why I think the "We'll tell them we stood shoulder to shoulder, and there was just no space for the Shadow to squeeze through." part works so well for me. On top of everything else, it means that they can be proud to tell their children not only that they won a desperate fight, but in the end they were united in an unbroken front against the Shadow.

Of course, it might be totally unrelated and just a part of Loial or someone else's speech. I guess I'll find out in a few days!

Today's memory is - "We'll remember those who fell, and we'll tell our children how we stood when the clouds turned black and the world started to die. We'll tell them we stood shoulder to shoulder, and there was just no space for the Shadow to squeeze through."

Bleak and worrisome? I read it more as proud and triumphant.

I read it more in the way of 'we are out numbered and/or getting defeated, but...'

You know, sorta like William Wallace's battlefield speech. Perhaps they will win the battle, but it is VERY uncertain. So I am going to think it is one of the 4 great captains or Lan or Tam.

I was disappointed in the memory tbh. Line started well but I felt the end to be meh, which annoys me. It's supposed to make you ready for shit to get serious but to me it didn't really work tbh.

I disagree. I don't know whose line this is (it doesn't really matter IMO)  but I do find it to be rather well written and moving. This is a nice change given what's we've seen of AMOL so far and gives me some hope for the rest of the book.

I'm with Herid, this might be my favorite Memory so far. Low spoiler potential, and it gets you pumped up for the epic battle at the end of 14 books worth of build up. 

It sounds to me like it could be Perrin finding his leader voice, but it could also be any one of the light-side battle commanders trying to rally his troops when faced with a horde of Shadowspawn (like the commander at Heeth Tower, though maybe in a somewhat less hopeless situation). I'm leaning a bit towards Loial though, i.e. humans and Ogier standing shoulder to shoulder. Tinkers is a possibility, but the idea of rows of Tinkers getting slaughtered is just too sad so I really hope that's not it. 

It is definitively not literal. I think it speaks to RJ's theme of everybody needing to get over their stupid petty shit and stand together against evil. In our world there are countless evils that could be fought, yet we worry about political parties and taxes. I think it is just saying that people can and should come together, no matter their backgrounds, and stand for the good of mankind. What a dream. . .

Loial at the stump?

I had thought about it as well, but in my opinion, he would have talked more about the nature, or more about the stump.

Maybe: "And the trees darkened black and they grass died brown, but we continued forward..."

I'm not good at predicting lines. I'm so sorry.

Yes but recall what he says at the Great Stump prior to the ToM prologue and how it's written feels like it is written as if it were a story inside a story, like someone reading Loial's account of what happened. That's how the memory feels to me. There are only two perspectives where you could see AMoL from the perspective of one of the characters as a story in itself, and those are from Thom and Loial.

You guys knew it was going to get dire, and that Thom will help with the levity, didn't you? I actually don't see that much in today's memory.

I agree.  This could be from any of dozens of people's perspectives or at pretty much any point in the book.

Yeah that was random...

Man just 2 days for the release.. I can't believe the WOT series is going to end... While i desperately want to read the ending I dont want the WOT series to end... Can't imagine how it would feel like to not wait for another WOT book... I'd feel like a stilled Aes Sedai/Asha'man, not able to feel the source!

It reminded me irresistibly of this:

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remember'd;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Today's memory. I would have expected something a bit more grandiose. It would be terrible for Loial to die.

I expected something huge too. I like today's memory, but it's definitely not what I expected. 

I don't necessarily think it means Loial will die, but rather that he's suddenly caught up in The Last Battle and realizes that his life is genuinely in danger.

Archived