DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The aMoL 'Memories of Light' Releases

Luckers

... 11moredays11moredays11moredays11moredays

I don't want to be so quick to dismiss the Aiel turning (back) to the Way of the Leaf. It could be connected the second part of the Day 30, relating to the Song.

What if, after Rand dies, Nyn tries to heal death. I believe there has been numerous foreshadowing of this, such as in Ch.7 of LoC: "...but Nynaeve would not be satisfied till she Healed somebody three days dead." The "three days dead" addition also lends credence to her healing Rand after his three days of death.

However, this has been tried before, most notably by Rand after the attack at the Stone. He is the most powerful channeller in 3000 years, has the second strongest (albeit flawed) sa'angreal in existance, and still can't do anything more than mindlessly animate a body. How can Nyn, who is much weaker than him (no matter how strong she is), heal what he cannot?

The Song has shown immense power before, in Rand's trip through the glass columns. In it, we see it being used to help Someshta grow plants to an immense and amazing level. However, Someshta can already grow plants through his natural magic; the Song is only amplifying his ability, not granting the abilty to grow plants. What if the Song creates a giant "link" for non-channelers or something like that, using their energy to amplify the powers of channelers and magical beings?

The power of life and passion over artificial creations has been a theme in the books (see the Ogiers' groves being better than their stonework, which is better than the less intimate stonework of men). This would be a great example of that.

My supposition is that the Aiel resist singing or it fails because they don't "believe" in it or don't follow the Way of Leaf, but Aviendha convinces some of them to adapt (or turns to the Tinkers for help), they turn to the Way of the Leaf (restoring the lost Jenn Aiel in the process), and use the power of the lost Song to boost Nyn's power to astronomical levels and heal Rand.

This would also provide an effective literary way for Rand to beat the DO. Rand can't die, try the exact same strategy/face the same foe, and win without some change ([insert Einstein quote]). The Song could provide a major boost to get him over the hump and seal the Bore.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at the beginning of LoC where Mat is dancing with Betsie, or whatever her name is, and he and his crew spend the night dancing. He comments a few times that the dancing seems to reinvigorate the women regardless of how many hours they spend doing it and that the men were exhausted. Seems almost like an impromptu warder effect. I'm sure this will be debunked in 10 days, but I feel that there is definitely something to dancing, singing, merriment in the face of disaster that keeps the forces of Light rejuvenated.

There is no single lost "song", there is the lost talent of "singing" however, which could certainly be rediscovered and come in very handy.

There is no lost song but there is The Song, which is representative of the lost talent. That's how the Tinkers (unknowingly) use it. The theory still holds though.

Sorry you lost me. We know per RJ that "the song" came from all the old memories of songs that had morphed into one memory. You're just saying that's how the Tinkers refer to the talent of singing?

My mistake, I didn't specifically think of A song when I said The Song, but rather the Talent of singing to the land, as the Aiel, Ogiers and Nyms did back in AoL. Which also seems to be what the Tinkers are looking for, not a specific song but rather the Talent.

@Suttree I think most people are aware of the distinction between the nonexistent song that Tinkers are searching for and the singing Talent. It's much easier to say the Song than "the singing ability to enhance channeling and seed growing that the Aiel had in the AOL". I always do that myself.

@Suttree I think most people are aware of the distinction between the nonexistent song that Tinkers are searching for and the singing Talent. It's much easier to say the Song than "the singing ability to enhance channeling and seed growing that the Aiel had in the AOL". I always do that myself.

Easier but incorrect. The Song is the fictional result of the tuatha'an mythology, supposed to return the Age of Legends. It is a myth based on the reality of the Singing, which is a function of the Talent of the Voice, which can assist in the Seed Singing, and can also improve channeling.

The Song.

The Singing.

The Voice.

Easily distinguishable titles.

lol. you just proved my point. "the Singing, which is a function of the Talent of the Voice, which can assist in the Seed Singing, and can also improve channeling."

The Song is good enough for me. Everybody knows what that means.

Yes, we do. The mythos of the Song is a Tuatha'an belief.

Though, when we see you using it to refer to the Singing we are left somewhat confused as they are seperate things.

True, but have those ideas not always been associated with their station, rather than their ability to Channel?

That aside, I suppose if a Darkfriend did think those lines, he/her wouldn't have used common folk, but something much more insulting.

exactly. it really doesn't feel like a thought by a DF to me.

There is actually new memory out "What did you do when one power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above the common folk".

Expect for wanting to replace the last you with yourself, leaves me sorta unaffected.

That can only be Aes Sedai PoV. But naming that person is difficult as super girls still too connected to common ppl, Pevara doesn't really fit, Siuan and Leanne don't fit after stilling, kinda lost their arrogance there. Moraine and Cadsuane are even worse fit.

Could it be Elaida PoV? She is arrogant and feels entitled enough for the thougth while being damane would explain the failing of one power.

True, but have those ideas not always been associated with their station, rather than their ability to Channel?

That aside, I suppose if a Darkfriend did think those lines, he/her wouldn't have used common folk, but something much more insulting.

exactly. it really doesn't feel like a thought by a DF to me.

I agree. They'd call the commoners rabbel or something. I really don't see them calling commoners common folk. 

And the way it is phrased, it can have a totally benign meaning, in the right context. What if there are massive Trolloc attacks, and the commoners are being slaughtered, and the OP fails? Wouldn't a channeler used to thinking they wouldn't be easy meat think something like this?

The first thing I thought was about nobles, specifically Tairen nobles, and how they place themselves so much higher than the commoners. Could this be someone talking to Algarin Emarin in an attempt to reform the divide? Maybe this is something Rand includes in the Peace: better relations between classes (if not a true democracy).

There is actually new memory out "What did you do when one power failed, the thing you relied upon to raise you above the common folk".

Expect for wanting to replace the last you with yourself, leaves me sorta unaffected.

That can only be Aes Sedai PoV. But naming that person is difficult as super girls still too connected to common ppl, Pevara doesn't really fit, Siuan and Leanne don't fit after stilling, kinda lost their arrogance there. Moraine and Cadsuane are even worse fit.

Could it be Elaida PoV? She is arrogant and feels entitled enough for the thougth while being damane would explain the failing of one power.

My guess: Logain to Taim.

Taim was not a Darkfriend when he declared himself the Dragon.  It was only after he was captured that he was approached by Darkfriends, who said they would help free him.  What did he do when the Power failed him?  He threw in with the Dark One.

Of course, that may not have been enough for those that freed him.  Taim was likely turned via a 13x13 circle after he was freed.  That may explain why Bashere was wary of whether Taim was actually Taim when they encountered each other in front of Rand.

Archived