DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

- Darth Rand exiling Cads, no one has ever been that cool in the series. I like Cadsuane but it was extremely satisfying to see the never-ruffled woman scared out of her mind. I don't know if that POV was Brandon's work but I truly congratulate him if it's so. I wish we could've seen Rand like that more before VoG.

I would have loved this if Brandon hadn't needed to compromise Cadsuane so completely to achieve it.

It just fits that pattern we see all to often in BA's WoT writing. Really wish he could figure out how to write conflict between two character without resorting to that. This is on par with the Tam scene in that it allowed fan gratification(yeah bro! Cads got pwned!) to carry the narrative. Its lazy writing and a huge opportunity missed.

Hesitates, but has to ask... I get the Cads compromised in the Tam showdown scene, but how was she compromised in this one? Cads doesn't lose her temper, she remains calm, she doesn't do anything really stupid? The fundamental shift in Rand was abrupt and she had no way of realising until it was too late. I agree with FanoLan that Rands comment about taveran change was unusual, but kind of in character with who he was at that moment.

I am curious too, because I thought this was one of the better scenes in TGS (I agree the the Tam/Cadsuane conflict had odd, abrupt pacing, and perhaps didn't serve any of the characters (but most especially Cads) with exception of Min, but at least the theme made some sense). Is the problem with Cads is that she is too unsympathetic, with a lack of compassion or responsibility that you think she would have have expressed? Or that she doesn't adapt to the new conditions immediately? Or is it just the "I will use ta'ver'en to kill you with my mind" thing? The buildup is actually clever, as Dark Rand uses a lot of Cads old tactics against her, in sort of a twisted mirror of their first meeting.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Darth Rand exiling Cads, no one has ever been that cool in the series. I like Cadsuane but it was extremely satisfying to see the never-ruffled woman scared out of her mind. I don't know if that POV was Brandon's work but I truly congratulate him if it's so. I wish we could've seen Rand like that more before VoG.

I would have loved this if Brandon hadn't needed to compromise Cadsuane so completely to achieve it.

It just fits that pattern we see all to often in BA's WoT writing. Really wish he could figure out how to write conflict between two character without resorting to that. This is on par with the Tam scene in that it allowed fan gratification(yeah bro! Cads got pwned!) to carry the narrative. Its lazy writing and a huge opportunity missed.

Hesitates, but has to ask... I get the Cads compromised in the Tam showdown scene, but how was she compromised in this one? Cads doesn't lose her temper, she remains calm, she doesn't do anything really stupid? The fundamental shift in Rand was abrupt and she had no way of realising until it was too late. I agree with FanoLan that Rands comment about taveran change was unusual, but kind of in character with who he was at that moment.

I am curious too, because I thought this was one of the better scenes in TGS (I agree the the Tam/Cadsuane conflict had odd, abrupt pacing, and perhaps didn't serve any of the characters (but most especially Cads) with exception of Min, but at least the theme made some sense). Is the problem with Cads is that she is too unsympathetic, with a lack of compassion or responsibility that you think she would have have expressed? Or that she doesn't adapt to the new conditions immediately? Or is it just the "I will use ta'ver'en to kill you with my mind" thing? The buildup is actually clever, as Dark Rand uses a lot of Cads old tactics against her, in sort of a twisted mirror of their first meeting.

what they said. While I disagree with sutt's view of the tam scene, I understand how someone can view it that way. In this scene I cannot fathom how someone sees cads as being lowered as a character here.

Elayne getting drunk at the inn, then Nyn dunks her head in the bucket was just great.

The Elayne getting drunk scene is on par with the Nyn getting drunk scene.

The first time you get painfully (the next day) drunk is apparently a very common experience that we all can relate to, which is probably why I like those scenes so much.

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but when did Nyneave ever get drunk? Are you thinking of when Birgitte did, and Elayne is affected through the bond?

Elayne getting drunk at the inn, then Nyn dunks her head in the bucket was just great.

The Elayne getting drunk scene is on par with the Nyn getting drunk scene.

The first time you get painfully (the next day) drunk is apparently a very common experience that we all can relate to, which is probably why I like those scenes so much.

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but when did Nyneave ever get drunk? Are you thinking of when Birgitte did, and Elayne is affected through the bond?

I think it's likely when they're in Salidar - one of Theodrin's (sp?) techniques for breaking the block was for Nyn to sip some wine, instead she downed it. Time was spent next day with Nyn telling Elayne that she should get angry/revel in it/ gloat or something and Elayne was just amused instead.

I think it's likely when they're in Salidar - one of Theodrin's (sp?) techniques for breaking the block was for Nyn to sip some wine, instead she downed it. Time was spent next day with Nyn telling Elayne that she should get angry/revel in it/ gloat or something and Elayne was just amused instead.

You're right, I just re-read that chapter. It was a flashback, but still funny. Reading on a bit I can see why I might have forgotten the drinking part though, since a fairly momentous event happens. Also, it was pretty funny that Logain offered her wine when she visited. :biggrin:

You're right, I just re-read that chapter. It was a flashback, but still funny. Reading on a bit I can see why I might have forgotten the drinking part though, since a fairly momentous event happens. Also, it was pretty funny that Logain offered her wine when she visited. :biggrin:

I think that was the stage when I started viewing them as a team, as opposed to friends that worked together (not sure if I can articulate the difference). The bit with Logain was great, an easy line, but one that helps define his personality

One of my favorite scenes so far is the scene where Rahvin "kills" Mat, Aviendha, and Asmodean, and Rand comes after him. Like I mentioned in another thread, I really got the sense that I could practically feel Rand's anger... and, in a way, almost be afraid for Rahvin. And then, Rahvin proves himself as possibly the most competent Forsaken, by cleverly maneuvering Rand, and actually defeating by luring him to unfamiliar territory. And that image of him blocking Fire with his skin burned off? Overall I don't think WOT would work filmed, but that I want to see done with a Hollywood budget.

Also, Rand using Callandor on the Trollocs. Mat defeating both Gawyn and Galad (scene would have been better if I would have known how deadly those two were at the time). Perrin at Dumai Wells. Moiraine killing Bel'lal.

Also, I got a kick out of Nynaeve healing Logain. Truth be told, I was wanting him to regain his connection with saidin.

They are too many for me to write them all. I'll just write the scenes from the " Towers Of Midnight"

1.Egwene defeats Mesaana.

2.Rand and Nynaeve separation in Chapter 15. I cried after i was done with it.

3.The rescue of Moiraine.

4." Storm Of Light" and when Rand called himself Rand Sedai. It was Great!

5.Nynaeve's testing. I was seriously pissed and scared when i read that, because it was very brutal but it's still one of the most powerful moments in the book.

One of my favorite scenes so far is the scene where Rahvin "kills" Mat, Aviendha, and Asmodean, and Rand comes after him. Like I mentioned in another thread, I really got the sense that I could practically feel Rand's anger... and, in a way, almost be afraid for Rahvin. And then, Rahvin proves himself as possibly the most competent Forsaken, by cleverly maneuvering Rand, and actually defeating by luring him to unfamiliar territory. And that image of him blocking Fire with his skin burned off? Overall I don't think WOT would work filmed, but that I want to see done with a Hollywood budget.

Also, Rand using Callandor on the Trollocs. Mat defeating both Gawyn and Galad (scene would have been better if I would have known how deadly those two were at the time). Perrin at Dumai Wells. Moiraine killing Bel'lal.

Also, I got a kick out of Nynaeve healing Logain. Truth be told, I was wanting him to regain his connection with saidin.

Nod. I think I cheered the first time. I also love how Nyn notes his sex appeal (in a Nyn way) early in the scene. Lol

In the last couple of books my absolute favorite scene was Rand/Moridin ( in TAR?) from tGS. It's memorable, haunting even. I assume RJ wrote it, but if not mad props to BS.

I've always been a sucker for the second battle for the stone of tear (when someone sent Trollocs in, a lot of high lords died, Lanfear actually 'helps' Rand, and Rand tries to resurrect the dead)

Just read that part on my re-read. Yeah, pretty cool. When Moir and Lan come upon Rand after he creates the shadowspawn seeking lightning, Rand is obviously on the proverbial precipice. Lan is willing to protect Moir from Rand, and knows it will do no good. Both are scared not only for their lives, but also the fate of the world. Rand has been close to the edge a few times since, but this is the first Moir and Lan have seen him teeter. I like that this is about when Moir really starts to lose control of events. The pattern has outpaced her before, but she has always had a plan and been confident she can overcome any obstacle. But how do you prevent the DR from going mad and killing everyone around him, and dooming the world with him? Also, Rand has been ingoring/fighting Moir, and he is holding Callandor. To them, it must be worse than disaster. Nothing they do or don’t do at this point can make a difference. Rand has to pull himself back.

I’ve always respected Lan for sticking with Rand and tutoring him, even in the face of Moiraine’s ire and Rand’s madness and unpredictability. He must really sympathize with being forced into a fate not of your choosing (Remember, he had oaths sworn for him in the cradle, and has the fate of revenging or resurrecting Malkier over his head.). He has fought that fate most of his life. So, he understands Rand, I think, better than just about anyone else close to him.

I'm now about 2/3rds of the way through Knife of Dreams, and there are two scenes that have really stuck out for me in this one, so far:

-Lews Therin seizes saidin and channels forgotten weaves, laying waste to tens of thousands of Trollocs.

I've been waiting for that one for a while. I understand the hang-up on identity, I really do, but if I had some ancient wizard in my head feeding me lost knowledge/access to my past lives, I'd totally embrace him/it. Granted, Lews Therin wants to kill everyone around him, including himself, but I still think it'd be a good deal.

-Nynaeve marshals the forces of dead Malkier for Aan'allein.

Admittedly, I haven't been the biggest fan of Nynaeve throughout the series, but this chapter blew me away. She's definitely stepped up in my eyes, in a big way (cleansing saidin too). Talk about building anticipation... I've been waiting for Aan'allein to raise the Golden Crane since Eye of the World. It gave me chills. Tarmon Gai'don, here we come.

I've always been a sucker for the second battle for the stone of tear (when someone sent Trollocs in, a lot of high lords died, Lanfear actually 'helps' Rand, and Rand tries to resurrect the dead)

Just read that part on my re-read. Yeah, pretty cool. When Moir and Lan come upon Rand after he creates the shadowspawn seeking lightning, Rand is obviously on the proverbial precipice. Lan is willing to protect Moir from Rand, and knows it will do no good. Both are scared not only for their lives, but also the fate of the world. Rand has been close to the edge a few times since, but this is the first Moir and Lan have seen him teeter. I like that this is about when Moir really starts to lose control of events. The pattern has outpaced her before, but she has always had a plan and been confident she can overcome any obstacle. But how do you prevent the DR from going mad and killing everyone around him, and dooming the world with him? Also, Rand has been ingoring/fighting Moir, and he is holding Callandor. To them, it must be worse than disaster. Nothing they do or don’t do at this point can make a difference. Rand has to pull himself back.

I’ve always respected Lan for sticking with Rand and tutoring him, even in the face of Moiraine’s ire and Rand’s madness and unpredictability. He must really sympathize with being forced into a fate not of your choosing (Remember, he had oaths sworn for him in the cradle, and has the fate of revenging or resurrecting Malkier over his head.). He has fought that fate most of his life. So, he understands Rand, I think, better than just about anyone else close to him.

Great post. With what we learn from Cads about the flaw in Callandor, Rand was not only at the precipice, but potentially teetering over the edge if Moir and Lan hadn't arrived in time to influence events. Makes me wonder how much the darkside knows about Callandor. If they know, or surmise, that the flaw magnifies the taint then pushing Rand to use it as often and early as possible would certainly aid the DO's long game. Good thing the Tairens required something to seal their general allegiance when Rand departed for Rhuidean or who knows how bad it would have been before Cads' arrival and subsequent warning.

Have to disagree on your conclusion that Lan has fought his fate most of his life. He spent his youth in training to be a living weapon and his early adulthood basically campaigning in the Blight until Moiraine (other than skirmishing with the Aiel in the Eastern Marches, Laman's Price and assorted court visits in the South). Lan has devoted himself to fulfilment of his duty despite believing it will ultimately lead to his death in the Blight and despite having had no choice in the swearing of the oath.

To me, the relationship with Rand grew because Lan witnessed firsthand how Rand essentially became aware of his own un-chosen duty and rather than shirking, devoted himself to the cause. The two face a parallel fate of death in the Blight and still both chose to embrace the duty. Lan undertands the circumstance and respects the way Rand has responded.

One scene I'm really looking forward to is "Rand enters Moridin's dream" in The Gathering Storm. My theory assumes Rand & Moridin will eventually unite as one to destroy Padan Fain, and that scene may shed some light on that (pun intended).

Granted, I could be wrong about that, but there has been a lot of foreshadowing towards that end (i.e. Ba'alzamon keeps telling Rand that they need each other in the beginning of the series -- Padan Fain is the first villain introduced, aside from Ishamael -- Rand will fight under the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai, which is the light & dark united as one -- Robert Jordan said Padan Fain was unique to the Cycle, and that the Mashadar he controls lies outside the Pattern, similar to Balefire -- Rand & Moridin literally merged already when they were fighting Padan Fain in Shadar Logoth -- Padan Fain himself resents Rand & Ishamael equally for making him suffer -- Rand & Ishamael's battle is a part of the Pattern; Rand/Ishamael & Fain's battle is not -- Etc..).

So, in any case, I've been anticipating that one. I had thought it would be in Knife of Dreams (i.e. a pivotal dream in a book called Knife of Dreams) but I guess I'll have to wait for it.

I am a Mat guy, and for me the coolest scene in the books is about him, though not in his POV.

“What is he doing?” Tuon said, frowning. “He can’t think to sneak this many men out of Altara even if he knows where every last soldier is. There are always patrols, and sweeps by raken.”

Again they took their time before answering. Perhaps she should try speaking very fast. “We’ve seen no patrols in better than three hundred miles, and no—raken?—no raken,” Edorion said quietly. He was studying her. Too late to stop his imaginings.

Reimon laughed again. “If I know Mat, he’s planning us a battle. The Band of the Red Hand rides to battle again. It’s been too long, if you ask me.”

Selucia sniffed, and so did Mistress Anan. Tuon had to agree with them. “A battle won’t get you out of Altara,” she said sharply.

“In that case,” Talmanes said, “he’s planning us a war.” The other three nodded agreement as if that were the most normal thing under the Light. Reimon even laughed. He seemed to think everything was humorous. “Three thousand?” Toy said. “You’re sure? Sure enough, man. Sure enough will do. Vanin can locate them if they haven’t moved too far.”

Tuon looked at him, squatting there by the map, moving his fingers over its surface, and suddenly she saw him in a new light. A buffoon? No. A lion stuffed into a horse-stall might look like a peculiar joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.

I think this stems from the fact that even though I and many other readers think he is awesome, almost every other character will think of him as a halfwit until his crazy awesomeness can not be denied. The only character that I think took him as being badass at face value and not as some coincidence was Moirane.

Having only read the last two books once, I don't really remember them much. I wish I could better remember the great scenes that keep getting mentioned.

All the epic scenes are a given, they're meant to be memorable. So I'll ignore them even though they're the best.

- Rand and Selene (Lanfear) at the edge of the pit in Carhien where they're digging up the Choedan Kal. You don't realize the meaning of her reaction to his reaction until later, but when you do: nowhere else does she show so much fear. The fear of an ignorant, beginning channeler getting ahold of the Choedan Kal.

- Nynaeve healing Logain.

- Perrin casually chopping off an Aiel's hand and telling the Aiel he'll be left to be a beggar. Chills (at Perrin's iciness).

- The Green Man's death.

- The prologue to Eye of the World.

I'm only up to Path of Daggers in my current re-read, so I'm having trouble remembering scenes from later books.

One I just read:

-Galina is recaptured by Therava after trying to kill Faile.

You can throw in "Perrin kills Rolan" and "Tylee captures Sevanna" to boot. Perhaps I'm a bit of a sadist (see screen name), but there was something deeply satisfying about that whole sequence. Obviously, Galina and Sevanna got what was coming to them, but I felt no sympathy whatsoever for Rolan, either (even though he really wasn't that bad of a guy, aside from kidnapping Faile in the first place. He easily could've raped her, but didn't, so, perhaps he didn't quite deserve a fatal hammer blow to the face, but when you screw around with another man's wife, getting your face caved-in with a hammer is a distinct possibility). A nice resolution, by and large.

Guest Mat_bloody_Cauthon

What a great topic question. I had to create a profile just to get in on the discussion so veteran members please be easy on me.

I've read this series twice and it has provided me countless hours of enjoyment over the last 13 years. My background defines the scenes I favor the most (15-year military officer who's spent a lot of time overseas). You can tell Robert Jordan has a military background through his writing on strategy, leadership and comaraderie. Most of my favorite scenes reflect this and Mat's emergence as a general.

- "Before the Arrow" in The Fires of Heaven. Mat is searching for Rand so he can let Rand know he is leaving before the Aiel war in Cairhien. Lan steps in the tent and Mat inadvertently tells Lan exactly how he'd fight the Aiel war.

- "This Place, This Day" in the Fires of Heaven (my favorite book of the series...KoD comes close). Mat is trying to flee the Cairhien war and stumbles upon a bumbling-led wetlander army. He swoops in and thus begins the band of the red hand and Talmanes.

- "The Golden Crane" in Knife of Dreams. Nynaeve (love her character progression throughout the series) travels to the borderlands to recruit help for Lan and convinces some Malkieri merchants to join him..."Lan told me once that Malkier lives so long as one man wears the hadori in pledge that he will fight the shadow, so long as one woman wears the kisain in pledge that she will send her sons to fight the Shadow. I wear the kisain MasterAldragoran. My husband wears the hadori. So do you. Will Lan Mandragoran ride to the last battle alone?"

- "Tuon looked at him, squatting there by the map, moving his finger over it's surface, and suddenly she saw him in a new light. A buffoon? No, A lion stuffed into a horse stall might look like a pecular joke, but a lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? AFter all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue."

- "A Plain Wooden Box" in a Knife of Dreams. Mat's first battle with the Seanchen post Ebou Dar. Explaining to Tuon and the Aes Sedai that the Seanchen were the stopper in the jar for him and he was going to pull that stopper out as quick as he could. Also there is this passage "If Mat Cauthon took it in stride, so would he. Mat had forgotten that about the band. They trusted him absolutely. Once, that had almost made him break out in a rash. Tonight, he was glad of it."

- Veins of Gold - no explananation needed. Awesome passage. Gave me the chills. Great set up throughout the book

-Lastly, disappointed with the Snakes and Foxes passage in Towers of Midnight. Didn't seem to meet the expectation the entire series led up to.

Side note -- The scene in which Nynaeve rallies the Malkieri to Tarmon Gai'don for her Diademed Battle Lord in KoD is especially great because Robert Jordan used to say in interviews Lan was the man he always wanted to be. I just finished reading KoD, so perhaps I'm just being sentimental, but I sure am glad he got the chance to write that chapter. I suppose the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.

Archived