DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The domination band scene, Rand's meeting with the borderlanders at Far Madding (particularly, when he suggests that Cadsuane may not want to call him boy anymore and then later when she sticks up for him with the Monarchs), Rand going back to the Domani to correct his mistake, Perrin's forging of his hammer and talking to Boundless (the second more because it finally closes a storyline that should have been closed fare earlier, imo), the Tower of Gheinji, all of Lan's scenes after he leaves Nynaeve, Egwene taking on the Seanchan, Rodel Ituladre's scenes.....

Wanted to get these out before they faded.

Too many to list them all but here are some:

• Birgitte's meeting with Mat where she finds out how he saved Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve and then Avienda's reaction to being told the story, making Elayne feel as bad as she deserved to considering their treatment of him.
  • Elayne telling Mat he could beat her if she wished (due to the above) and his gobsmacked reaction.
  • RAAAAHVIN (need I say more?)
  • Rand trying to resurrect the dead child in the Stone of Tear
  • Loial defending the women and children in the Stone.
  • Killing the Gholam
  • Veins of Gold
  • YodaRand telling Caddy he's Rand Sedai
  • Nynaeve curing stilling
  • Flynn saving Rand from Fain's poison and the AS who offers to have his babies if he'll tell her what he did
  • Elayne with the "nymphmaniac" Angreal in Salidar (I wonder what it was originally designed for?? Did Graendal make it?) and how no-one would tell her what she did?
  • Perrin nonplussing Egwene by shrugging off her ropes and then ignoring Balefire in TAR
  • Dumai's Wells - kneel or you will be knelt
  • Matt beating Gawyn and Galad (although it was followed an infuriating bit when all the Novices give Matt evil looks for daring to beat them = pathetic)
  • Rand with the Wanderer in Shadar Logoth

Great thread, glad to see it again, appreciate reading all of the (on topic) contributions. Just a couple of the multitude of scenes that stoke my anticipation during a re-read:

- Perrin and Loial entering Emond's Field, interacting with Bran and Marin through Perrin learning about his family and tumbling down the stairs with Faile. That sequence takes me from lol'g to welling tears and back again. Great stuff.

- Elayne and Avi reborn as sisters to their "mother" Amys. Really cements the intimacy of Aiel culture and why so few DFs populate their people. Elayne's PoV in the throne room just beforehand establishes an ominous feel of tension that carries through the ceremony, particularly on the first read. The interchange between Elayne and Avi is priceless ("Gobbles?" lol).

- Egwene's arc from the summons to Salidar through the declaration of war on Elaida. Fandom underappreciates how critical Egwene has been to the potential success of the light IMO and reading her PoV on answering the summons, owning up to her lies to the Aiel, refusing to shirk the duty placed on her shoulders and effectively leading the SAS on the road to reunification despite the political infighting and efforts of the Black Ajah - impressive woman indeed.

- Nyn relinquishing her block through her departure with Lan to the Sea Folk.

- Elayne, Avi and Min bonding Rand through Birgitte's agreement to get drunk.

- Cleansing - awesome through and through, from Rand announcing his intention to Moghi getting blown around.

And many more. Seems like nearly an entire re-write would prove necessary to mention every moving/great scene. What a great gift from RJ/Harriet and now BrS.

ETA: Lan and Nyn at Algarin's manner through her meeting with the Malkieri - all of Lan's scenes are great, of course, but this one hits the high note for me. "Will he ride alone?" Hells to the no, where's my armor?

I'm almost finished with Winter's Heart, so, up to that point my favorite scenes have been:

-Rand's visions at the portal stones (I win again, Lews Therin), and Egwene's visions in the ter'angreal.

These chapters were really well written.

-Battle of Dumai's Wells.

Asha'man stepping out of holes in the sky to hurl electric hellfire into oncoming hordes of veiled savages. Enough said.

-Rand's beheading of the Darkfriend woman, who he then makes bow to him with the power.

This is really the first glimpse we get of The Dragon. You see the transformation from naive country boy into hardened warlord within the blink of an eye.

-Demandred at Shayol Ghul.

For obvious reasons.

-Moghedien meets Moridin.

It really gives you a sense of just how big of a badass Moridin is.

-Matt blows the Horn of Valere. Rand battles Ishamael over the skies of Falme.

Another totally epic battle.

-Trolloc attack on the Stone of Tear, when Rand tries to resurrect the dead girl.

Pretty powerful scene, when Moiraine tells him he is not the Creator.

-Rand captures Asmodean

Loved all the interactions between Rand & Asmodean.

My favourite scenes by far:

- The trolloc attack on Emond's Field, especially the part when women came to fight alongside their men

- Dumai's wells

- Lan & Nynaeve scenes, or just Lan..

- Ingtar's redemption

Dumai's Wells, especially the ending: "Kneel, or you will be knelt."

Matt thumping Galad and Gawyn in the practice yard in the Tower.

Loial running for the stockade in the Two Rivers, carrying the injured Gaul with Trollocs in pursuit.

Nynaeve in that borderland tavern with the jewel merchant as she begins rallying the Malkieri to ride with Lan.

And my all-time favourite, the confrontation between Rand and Colavaere before the throne of Cairhien: "Whatever can be done, can be undone."

- Darth Rand exiling Cads, no one has ever been that cool in the series. I like Cadsuane but it was extremely satisfying to see the never-ruffled woman scared out of her mind. I don't know if that POV was Brandon's work but I truly congratulate him if it's so. I wish we could've seen Rand like that more before VoG.

- "Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt" from Taim and the diamonds from Rand leading to that quote.

- Rand sitting covered by blood in his room in Tear after the first bubble of evil.

- Mat planning his war to get the Band out of Seanchan territory.

- Mah'alleinir.

...and a hundred other scene I can't really think of right now.

"The Last Hunt begins, Young Bull!" Hopper screamed. "We live! We live!"

Even reading that scene months later for the fiftieth time gets my breath hitched. It's hard to imagine the anticipation and, most likely, absolute dread the wolves felt. Their position might've made them the most sensitive to the last tipping point where the fight could've been lost before it started. But Rand pulled through and now there's a chance. And holy goodness were they stoked at that chance!

I haven't seen it mentioned, but my all time favorite scene is just after Rand stumbles into Emonds Field with the litter and Nynaeve tells him that she can't do anything.

My number two scene is Veins of Gold

Number three is Dumai's Wells "Kneel- or you will be knelt-"

- Veins of gold !!!! That was so amazing, breathtaking... I remember me closing the book and stay motionless, just savouring the end...

- Reunion Rand/Tam in TOM, i almost cried. And discussion between Rand and Nynaeve in TOM.

- Dumai's wells

- Each sequences in the three fold land, Rhuidean, Aviendha/Rand...

- Tower of Gheinji

- Egwene in TGS, And Verin's revelations

- Cleansing of saidin !

I kinda liked the scene in Caemlyn, in tEotW, when Moirane sees Mat in his room. She hisses and tells everyone to stay back. Then he says some bad things about Egwene, Perrin and Nyn, which he couldn't possibly know, except through the insight into people's souls that the SL taint give him. Then he lashes out at Moir with the knife, and Lan teleports (figuratively) to the bedside and catches his arm. Moir doesn't even flinch, Mat is snarling, Lan is like a statue, and the rest are all like "Wah?".

The first read through I was kinda hoping Mat would become a villain (I actually envisioned someone very like Fain, which makes me like his character a lot, though with some differences). He'd know the Emond's Fielders intimately, but be turned to evil. He'd flip flop between fighting the shadow and fighting the light. You could never trust him, but sometimes a temporary alliance was needed to get the job done. I was a little disappointed, the first time through, that Mat was Healed in tDR. There was potential there for a great villain, and a great internal struggle between Mat and the SL Taint.

The Battle of Emond's Field was another great scene.

I enjoyed the entire time when Nyn and Elayne are with Valan Luca's show. Kinda had the hots for Nyn in that dress.

The scene where the Logain and his AM capture Elaida's 50 AS who were sent to destroy the BT.

I always like the bubble of evil that attacked Mat in Tear, during the card game. I liked the slow-motion description of his throwing the knifes, and twisting at the end to land on his feet, only to have time speed back up and he lands awkwardly. I just imagine the looks on the other's faces, when they barely have time to register that the cards are coming to life, and already Mat has hurled 3 daggers with perfect accuracy.

Elayne getting drunk at the inn, then Nyn dunks her head in the bucket was just great.

Matt catching the daggers thrown by the Gholam. Well, anything that Matt does pre-BS.

Rand and Lan fighting together in Far Madding.

Brigette getting drunk to try and avoid the feelings coming from the bond while Elayne gets it on with Rand.

Domon Bayle and Eganine fighting in that inn in Tanchico, then eyeing each other up when they both realize the other's strengths. Love at first fight.

Elayne getting drunk at the inn, then Nyn dunks her head in the bucket was just great.

The Elayne getting drunk scene is on par with the Nyn getting drunk scene.

The first time you get painfully (the next day) drunk is apparently a very common experience that we all can relate to, which is probably why I like those scenes so much.

- Darth Rand exiling Cads, no one has ever been that cool in the series. I like Cadsuane but it was extremely satisfying to see the never-ruffled woman scared out of her mind. I don't know if that POV was Brandon's work but I truly congratulate him if it's so. I wish we could've seen Rand like that more before VoG.

I would have loved this if Brandon hadn't needed to compromise Cadsuane so completely to achieve it.

I would have loved this if Brandon hadn't needed to compromise Cadsuane so completely to achieve it.

Definitely a lot of dramatic potential in that scene. Dark Rand approaching his nadir, Cadsuane with her patience and conviction put to the test as never before. Is it just me or does it bother anyone else when Rand threatens Cads with his ta'veren nature, asserting he can force the Pattern to his will and cause her death. That seems pretty far off the track to me, kind of twisting his ta'veren-ness to his own purpose as opposed to letting the Wheel spin out events in the manner that would best serve the Wheel. It's probably moot for Rand Therin, but there seem to be echoes of that behavior in Mat lately too. Forcing his ta'veren-ness (luck) to serve what he wants in the moment.

It just fits that pattern we see all to often in BA's WoT writing. Really wish he could figure out how to write conflict between two character without resorting to that. This is on par with the Tam scene in that it allowed fan gratification(yeah bro! Cads got pwned!) to carry the narrative. Its lazy writing and a huge opportunity missed.

It just fits that pattern we see all to often in BA's WoT writing. Really wish he could figure out how to write conflict between two character without resorting to that. This is on par with the Tam scene in that it allowed fan gratification(yeah bro! Cads got pwned!) to carry the narrative. Its lazy writing and a huge opportunity missed.

Hesitates, but has to ask... I get the Cads compromised in the Tam showdown scene, but how was she compromised in this one? Cads doesn't lose her temper, she remains calm, she doesn't do anything really stupid? The fundamental shift in Rand was abrupt and she had no way of realising until it was too late. I agree with FanoLan that Rands comment about taveran change was unusual, but kind of in character with who he was at that moment.

Archived