DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many brilliant scenes to choose from, but one of my favourite scenes is when Avi splits through a gateway and Rand chases after her. I really liked how their relationship progressed through the books. Alway made me chuckle.

Then there is the majority of battle scenes throughout all the books, especially the one in ToM, I was totally amazed by the destruction he caused there.

There is just too much to name, the list would go on and on....

So hard to choose.  And I'm sure there are many I've forgotten, but some of my favourites are:

1.  Perrin forging Mah'alleinir.  I hadn't had any particularly strong feelings towards Perrin at this point, but I found this scene extremely moving. I loved Hopper as a character and this scene almost brought me to tears.

2.  Rand's epiphany.  All of the scenes connected to it.  I always liked Rand, and even when he was dark and hard I was sure he would have a moment like this, and I really enjoyed it.  It changed the whole feeling of the series from one of darkness and despair to hope and the belief that victory was possible.

3.  The cleansing of saidin.  I liked the fact that two of the strongest channelers were essentially incapacitated and fighting their own battle, and the sense of anxiety as the Forsaken etc. attack while everyone else has to rally round and protect Rand and Nynaeve.

4.  Nynaeve sending Lan to World's End, and calling on the Borderlanders to follow him.  The hopelessness of Lan's quest, and the feeling that Nynaeve and Lan were saying goodbye thinking they would never see each other again, and Nynaeve just doing the only thing she could to make Lan's death a little bit less inevitable.  This scene brought me to tears.

5. Spoilers for AMoL in this one:

okay its actually kind of two scenes, but one of them is very small - the bit where Lan's army is charging the gap in what they think will be their last stand when gateways open all around them and the Borderlander cavalry gallop through to their aide.  Veryy moving.

And secondly the scene where Rand is showing the DO all who still fight and defy him, and shows Lan still alive after killing Demandred, holding his severed head.

one of my favourites is during the tribonding, then the girls get a glimpse of the pain he is in, and Avi says something to the effect "he is as strong as the threefold land" about it. BTW anyone remember what chapter/book it is in.

Here you go Durinax...

WH Ch. 12

>He stared at them, expressionless, and slowly put his fingers to his temples.

"Oh, Light, Rand, the pain," Min murmured in a hurt voice. "I never knew; I never imagined. How can you stand it? There are pains you don't even seem to know, as if you've lived with them so long they're part of you. Those herons on your hands; you can still feel the branding. Those things on your arms hurt! And your side. Oh, Light, your side! Why aren't you crying, Rand? Why aren't you crying?" "He is the Car'a'carn," Aviendha said, laughing, "as strong as the Three-fold Land itself!" Her face was proud—oh, so proud– but even as she laughed, tears streamed down her sun-dark cheeks. "The veins of gold. Oh, the veins of gold. You do love me, Rand."

Wow, I've only read WH once so I haven't picked up on the Veins of Gold chapter reference in tGS! That's so cool!

Think I can add the Seanchan vs Callandor moment to my favourites list.

Always love to see Rand screw up and do something insane and self destructive.

That whole Damona Campaign is epic. Some of the best writing in the series. Not just the war parts but the Rand/LTT dialog is priceless.

tPoD

"I mean to drive the Seanchan into the sea!" Rand snapped. Light, he hadto finish them now, when he had the chance! He could not fight the Seanchan and the Forsaken and the Light alone knew who or what else, all at the same time! "I did it before, and I will again!"

Do you have the Horn of Valere hidden in your pocket this time?Lews Therin asked slyly. Rand snarled at him silently.

Without a single doubt, lol, the two favorite scenes in my mind are:

1. In Lord of Chaos, after Rand breaks the shield holding him, stilling and killing Aes Sedai with pure release of power, followed by the Asha'man literally blowing apart the Shaido. It's an intense, brutal, ghastly scene that I will try to never forget as long as I live.

2. In Knife of Dreams, when Rand, with Bashere, Logain, Cadsuane, and Loial, are in the center of a massive Trolloc attack, and Lews Therin Kinslayer grabs hold of saidin and unleashes a hint of the power he held last time the Dragon walked the land. Oh god, it was amazing.

Reading through the responses it's easy to say, "oh that one", "no that one is my favorite", "wait that scene rocked too!" But one I come back to isn't overly dramatic, adventurous, scary, or thrilling. It is in The Great Hunt, when Lan preps Rand for the meeting with the Amrylin. It really felt like one of the first times that Lan was his own person, his own character. He was going to help Rand stand tall and be a man despite the way Rand's world had fragmented around him. Cat Crosses the Courtyard! :)

In line with that I really liked Lan's thoughts on Rand in aMoL and Rand's gift to Lan. A great friendship! If Lan approves of you you must indeed be awesome.

There are too many great scenes to have only one favorite.  So, my favorites off the top of my head are:

- Perrin seeing Hopper for the first time in the Wolf Dream, post death.

- Nyneve breaking her mental barriers

- The Cleansing of Saidin

- Egwene having dinner with Elaida in ToM

- Rand walking the glass pillars of Rhuiden

- Bridgette's discussion with Mat in the tavern

- Avienda's reaction to Rand after being bonded

- Lan preparing Rand to meet to Amrylin

- Both Nyneve's and Egwene's testing to be reaised Accepted

- The prologue to EotW

- The Epilogue of the series in AMoL

- Any scene offering a glimpse of the Age of Legends

Finally ...  Any scene where the dice stop tumbling in Mat's head.

I love all the scenes with Rand and the Maidens. I love the complexity of their relationship and how Rand just seems to get it immediately despite being largely ignorant of the Aiel and their customs. But some scenes that stand out specially are when Rand joins the meeting of the clans in the waste and says that Far Dareis Mai carries his honor, and how proud that makes the Maidens. And when everyone realizes that Rand has been captured by the Aes Sedai and Sulin yells, "They have taken my first brother!" Sometimes it feels like the Maidens are the only ones who care for Rand just for who he is, not the station he holds or the duty he has. Even the other Emond's Fielders don't see Rand as they used to.

For me it has to be when Perrin stops Belfire in the world of dreams and saves Egwene.

I don't know why for sure but I think its because Eqwene thought she was so powerful and a master in the world of dreams and yet Perrin just rocks up stops the belfire and simply tells her it's not real. Brilliant as the girls all thought he was wool headed like they do about all three of the Ta'vern.

Three Scenes:

Seeing Aviendha dead in Caemlyn - wrecked my whole day, cause I was interrupted and couldn't read again until the next day.

When the three bond Rand - I'm a romantic at heart, what can I say.

A cup of sleep - This is the meaning of sacrifice.

• 1 year later...

SPOILERS

So many but if i was forced

Eye of the world: fleeing from two rivers with the Draghkar on there tail + in Baleron and Shadar Logoth

Why: the sense of adventure and quest

Perin in the world of dreams (all of it)

Why perin does not get enough spotlight and the whole idea of how you fight in the world of dreams is so cool. all the baiting and tricking

And when lan Kills Damodred in aMoL

Why: lan is great and this is his big moment when he shows his skill and shows the value of those who dont channel, when he got up i felt like runing around yelling yes yes yes you get'en Lan you flaming show'en all yes yes yes

Rand going through the Rings at Rhuidean. I found that whole scene fascinating from seeing the past through the eyes of his ancestors to gaining on and overtaking the Aiel (don't remember his name, sorry) to him coming out of the rings to find Mat hanging from the tree.

Mat's first fight with the Gholam. It was nail biting.

Rand being afraid of facing Tam after doing what he did. It was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

There are more but I can't think of them at this time.

Any pre-Sanderson scene with Taim. Because he wasn't just a generic stock villain, he was a character in his own right, and it's amazing how much RJ did with his sadly little screen time.

Rand & Moridin's dream chats, and in fact pretty much anything involving Moridin, too.

"Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora?" Yes. Yes, we know. :(

"My name is Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want send is this. My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap, toward Tarmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone?" Just talking about this scene may bring me to tears, which can be mildly awkward in the company of people who are not quite so emotionally involved with the series... Not that this has ever happened, of course. *cough*

"Do you have any idea how long it takes to dig graves for twenty-three oak trees?" No, Davram, I don't, but I'm sure you could tell me. :D

In general every scene in which Bashere tells Rand what he needs to hear as opposed to what he wants to hear.

Ituralde's defence of Maradon.

• 1 month later...
Guest Vaquin

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. Read the whole thread and registered just to comment....

Rand(/Lews Therin Thelamon) referring to Moraine as "Little Sister" and her utterly flabbergasted response and the realization that he really is, literally, the Dragon Reborn.

All of the above, but I especially like small, world building moments that make me go "I wanna know more about that thing that is completely irrelevant to the story, but sounds nifty!".  Nynaeve marveling at Whitebridge, anything and everything to do with the Portal Stones, the random dock sticking out of the mountainside on the way out of the Waste, Perrin seeing all the different versions of the Last Battle while fighting Slayer (which was pretty rad, in and of itself.  Teleport Spam [Don't click that. You have been warned] Battle Royale?  Sign me the math up).

Archived