DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done a re-read in ages but a few spring to mind: Rand's relationship with 'Selene' in TGH, Rand's hand tightening around Callandor for the first time, 'Faile, my falcon.', Fight with the mirror reflections, Moiraine v Lanfear, (Haven't read the middle books in a long time, gonna skip those) Mat reading Moiraine's letter to Thom (got really freaked out for a second on that one) Mat genius in the Finn's tower, telling Thom that Noal is the hero.

But above all is definitely Lan v Demandred. 'Death is lighter than a feather!' One of the best lines in the whole WOT for me.

I love all the scenes with Rand and the Maidens. I love the complexity of their relationship and how Rand just seems to get it immediately despite being largely ignorant of the Aiel and their customs. But some scenes that stand out specially are when Rand joins the meeting of the clans in the waste and says that Far Dareis Mai carries his honor, and how proud that makes the Maidens. And when everyone realizes that Rand has been captured by the Aes Sedai and Sulin yells, "They have taken my first brother!" Sometimes it feels like the Maidens are the only ones who care for Rand just for who he is, not the station he holds or the duty he has. Even the other Emond's Fielders don't see Rand as they used to.

Perfect post.

In no particular order (spoilers involved):

1) Dumai's Wells and "Kneel before the Lord Dragon or you'll be knelt." moment, with the Aes Sedai swearing oaths to the Dragon.

2) Rand vs Ishamael at Falme and the battle seen on the sky. Epic beyond anything I've read.

3) Demandred vs Mat, saying "I'm facing the true master of the battlefield." when he's running the forces of Shadow against the Light.

4) Cleansing of Saidin.

5) The joy of those old men, women and children, all beaming at being saved by Logain and the Asha'man, which made me imagine the mighty Black Tower in the future, helping people and generally running things alongside the White Tower; a vision of male and female Aes Sedai almost united once more.

6) Egwene leading the defense of White Tower against the Seanchan, with more and more Aes Sedai rallying behind her and her battling the To'raken, wielding Vora's saan'greal. Quite epic.

7) The first scene with Rand and Tam going to the village and Rand noticing a Fade apparently following them. It was the multi-point hook that got all the way into my guts and kept me reading the series until the end.

• 1 month later...

Knife of Dreams Chapter 23: Call to a Sitting

Shockingly, he rounded on her. "They need to know, Merise. They need to know!" Turning back, he ran his gaze along the benches. His eyes seemed hot. He had been dreading nothing. he had been angry, and still was. "Eben was linked with hid Daigian and Beldeine, with Daigian controlling the link, so when they found themselves facing one of the Forsaken, all he could do was shout, 'She's channeling saidin,' and attack her with his sword. And despite what she did to him, ruined as he was, he managed to hang on to life, hang on to saidin, long enough for Daigian to drive her off. So you remember his name! Eben Hopwil. He fought for his Aes Sedai long after he should have been dead!"

That scene is definitely one of my favorites.

• 4 months later...

Chapters 39, 40 and 41 on The Gathering Storm. Egwene getting repeatedly beat, Verin giving her the Black Ajah list and then the Saenchan attack when Ewgene transforrmed to Egwene the awesome.

After that, Moiraine sacrifice (and then the letter to Rand) on Fires of Heaven.

The third one, Rand preparing a tea to Moiraine on the final book. Honorable mention to Lan vs Demandred.

For the feelz: on the roof on Blue Carp Street when Lan slips, Rand catches him, and Lan tells Rand to, "Let go." Rand's reply, "When the Sun turns green,"  has always struck a deep emotional chord with me.

And or the lullz: when Rand tells Cadsuane, "You may call me Rand Sedai," and for once she visibly loses composure. =D

Fhew!  Just finished Winter's Heart on this re-read… what a great event at the end!  It sure would look pretty great on the screen if they visualized the channeling weaves… 

One of the events that hit me the hardest for pure "wow" was when Verin reveled she was black.  I never read discussions and such that guessed and predicted she was, so I was completely in the dark and utterly surprised by that revelation.  It was quite the shock the first time I read it.

Oh boy. I probably have a hundred or so. However these four are the top of the heap for me:

tSR-

Falie comforting Perrin in the two homecoming chapters. Primarily the skillful way Jordan builds up to this amazing scene by having Perrin break up with Faile, thus having them being at odds both vocally and physically during this plot intensification. Jordan could just instead have chosen the couple's journey to Two Rivers to be all lovey-dovey peaceful, with them holding hands instead of without all the drama that ensues. It still would have been a moving scene without all that bickering, however, by having Perrin stomp all over here feelings thus creating this temporary friction and bad blood between them, it makes her comforting him...and without any argument or angry words at all about his recent treatment of her, she just lets it pass, all the more of a colossal wallop of this climatic scene. This carefully crafted build up and then climax is beautifully done by Mr Jordan.

My next one would be a couple of chapters later we have another story plot that resolves with the same couple:  'Among the Tuatha'an'.  This would be the one that goes back to tDR when Faile keeps giving Perrin very direct hints of her serious feelings towards him. However the dumb guy that he is, he just keeps hilariously missing them. When Moiraine tells the group that one of the Forsaken is in Tear-

Faile quips to Perrin: "Blacksmith, if I live through this, I will make you pay."

To which Perrin then thinks: "Me! The fool woman thinks it my fault? Did I ask her to come?"

Then in the next book, tSR 'the bubbles of evil chapter' at the beginning, Perrin inquires if Faile will leave to go on adventuring without him-

Perrin asks her: "Are you leaving then?"

She replies: "I do not know. This a fine mess you've put me in."

He replies back: "Me? What did I do?"

She retorts back: "Well, if you don't know, I am certainly not going to tell you."

So finally this all resolves itself when Perrin is resting from his life serious life-threatening wound in the Tuatha'an trailer, and Faile has to figuratively remove his blindfold and drop the big *L* word on the big oaf. Just after Perrin finds out that Faile is a Lady-

He asks her: "How did you ever come to like a common blacksmith?"

She answers: "The word is 'love', Perrin Aybara."

We also get a great quote(one of my favorites) from Faile to finish up this emotional chapter as Perrin passes out from the slumber potion which she administered to him, so that he can get some much needed rest: 

"Sleep, my wolf king. Sleep."

My third one would be later on in the same book tSR(Jordan certainly was on a roll with one) chapter 'Goldeneyes'. Though this is a perfect name for the chapter,  'Tai'shar Manetheren' would also work as the following scene shows-

During the final battle when the Trollocs are about to break through the weakening Edmonds Field line, the women......who were supposed to be back with the children to keep them safe, leap up into the lines to fill in the holes of the men who are not able to hold up to the terrifying onslaught.  They then join into hand to hand combat against these awful monsters using pitchforks and kitchen cleavers: 

All up and down the line, as far as Perrin could see, the women were there. Their numbers were the only reason the line still held, almost driven back against the houses. Women among men, shoulder to shoulder: some no more than girls...

So we see that the 'Blood of Manetheren' still flows strong in Two Rivers.

As great as this scene is, it also beautifully ties in to Moiraine's ancient Manetheren story that she told the villagers about way back in tEotW, when their ancestors were also fighting against impossible odds:

[Aemon] sent word throughout his land for the people to flee...

But some did not flee. First a trickle, then a river, then a flood, men went, not to safety, but to join the army fighting for their land.

Women went, too, shouldering what weapons they could find and marching side by side with the men.

KoD-

The finally I will end with discovering the meaning of the chapter title in KoD involving Egwene, 'Honey in the tea';  It's meaning showing up right at the end, and giving it a fantastic exclamation point. Excellently done.

The best chapter title in the whole series. IMO.

• 1 month later...
Guest AnAnonymousWOTFan

All-time favorite has to be Rand sealing the Bore. The philosophical implications of his decision were tremendous, and I've always had a thing for climaxes. Close second has to be Veins of Gold. That was just beautiful, and so well done. Rand shouting "RAAAAAHVIIIIIIIN" in FoH after Rahvin killed Avi, Asmo and Mat was gut-wrenching, and Dumai's Wells was a great scene too. Cleansing saidin was awesome, and Demandred in the prologue was pretty cool. I think those would have to be my favorites.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a ton in this series.

1) Moiriane's Emond's field history lesson in the begining of Eye of the World

2) Fleeing to Shadar Logoth to escape 500 trollocs

3) When the Aiel come to the girls aid in TDR after they get caught by bandits. That whole sceen where they circle the fade, chanting at it, knowing it will probably kill them, and then Nyneave balefiring it.

4) Rand saving what's left of Ituralde's troops and Maradon

5) The Quarterstaff scene

6) Perrin finding out about his family and breaking down.

7) Moiriane's letters

8) Aviendha's first gateway

9) Tuon's opinion of Mat when his group rejoins the Band.

• 3 weeks later...

It is very hard to pick just one scene, but the scene that I thought was most awesome at the time that I originally read it was the ending of Lord of Chaos, with the battle and the rescue of Rand, and the Aes Sedai swearing fealty to him.

Here are some other scenes that I thought were great:

• Rand's visions of the history of the Aiel in Rhuidean in TSR
  • The whole scene at Falme, with Egwene's rescue and Rand battling Ba'alzamon in TGH
  • The cleansing of saidin (in Winter's Heart?)
  • The escape from the Trollocs into Shadar Logoth in TEOTW
  • The rescue of Moiraine in book 13 (I can't think of the name of that book at the moment)
  • The "Darkfriend Social" in TGH
  • Pretty much any scene where the Forsaken are plotting with or against each other
  • The initial journey through the Ways.  (At this point I forget exactly who was in the traveling party, where they were going from and to, and which book it was in.)

I am sure that there are some Mat scenes that I should add to this list, but I can't think of specific ones right now.

If I had to pick a single one, it would be Dumai's Wells, including the lead-up and the aftermath. Massive, multi-sided battle, with Rand working to escape the Aes Sedai, the Aes Sedai showing down with the Shaido Wise Ones, the Younglings and Warders fighting the Shaido, Perrin/wolves/two rivers people/Cairhienin/Mayeners/Aiel smashing in and coming to the rescue, then the Asha'man showing up and kicking some serious ass in their first appearance as a major force (and before they end up as corrupted and treacherous as they do later under Taim's influence) and the whole thing capped off with the Aes Sedai finally being put in their place.

Taim appeared as close to a smile as Rand had ever seen him. “Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon,” he said softly, “or you will be knelt.”

As stories do, the tale spread, across Cairhien and north and south, by merchant train and peddler and simple traveler gossiping at an inn. As stories do, the tale changed with every telling. The Aiel had turned on the Dragon Reborn and killed him, at Dumai’s Wells or elsewhere. No, the Aes Sedai had saved Rand al’Thor. It was Aes Sedai who had killed him—no, gentled him—no, carried him to Tar Valon where he languished in a dungeon beneath the White Tower. Or else where the Amyrlin Seat herself knelt to him. Unusually for stories, it was something very close to truth that was most often believed.

On a day of fire and blood, a tattered banner waved above Dumai’s Wells, bearing the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai.

On a day of fire and blood and the One Power, as prophecy had suggested, the unstained tower, broken, bent knee to the forgotten sign.

The first nine Aes Sedai swore fealty to the Dragon Reborn, and the world was changed forever.

I sometimes wonder if a part of why the next few books seem dull in comparison is that he capped off LOC so amazingly that it was a hard act to follow.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, i can´t choose only one :/ so i left at least four of my favorite scenes (the ones who are in my mind right now)

-Lews Therin taking saidin's control and killing the shadow's army with style

-Rand threatening his father Tam (i almost cry ;( )

-The epifany in dragonmount

-Perrin stopping that balefire in TAR in defense of Egwene (that was awesome, and also a little funny because the both of them thought that the other was stupid for been there)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, just finished the series for the first time (in a 6 week blitz that included a couple of sick days from work when I really couldnt put it down :blush: ) and had to join up hear and read what people were saying as there is now a huge emotional hole in my life. (OH Egwene noooooooooooooooo)

Although I love many of the action scenes - especially Duma Wells, the cleansing of saidin and Rodel Ituralde doing his great captain thang in Saldaea when Rand sent him there - I find that, like the big softy I am, I reminisce most fondly on a lot of the love stories, so my favourite scenes include:

1. Sex igloo - not so much for the scene itself - though it is excellent - but I fell in love with Aviendha while reading, probably quicker than Rand did, so at this point I was punching the air. She is the shade of my heart.

2. The scene with Nynaeve from the merchant Malkieri POV after she's dropped Lan off at The World's End. Nynaeve is the other woman in this series that I love (well I love loads of them, but her and Avi especially), and this scene really gets me welling up:

"Lan told me once that Malkier lives so long as one man wears the hadori in pledge that he will fight the Shadow, so long as one woman wears the ki'sain in pledge that she will send her sons to fight the Shadow. I wear the ki'sain, Master Aldragoran. My husband wears thehadori. So do you. Will Lan Mandragoran ride to the Last Battle alone?”

Though any scene with Lan and Nynaeve together makes me happy.

3. Basically all of Mat's stuff with Tuon; I think that in their separate ways they have finally met their match, which is why they are such a great couple IMO.  Mat was always a womaniser and although he initially spends time with her because of the Aelfinn prophecy, I think he pretty quickly realises how much he likes her. More than that, he normally resorts to a joke and a grin in order to get in women's good books, but that doesn't work as well with her so he has to try something new (like buying her a fancy horse because she likes horses, which I would wager is a heck of a lot more thought than he has ever given to a present for anyone else). Mat is obvs a very unreliable narrator ("I wonder who all the bad influences on Olver are") and so I decide to believe that he falls in love with Tuon quite quickly but justifies to himself all the time he spends with her as being due to the prophecy.  This is the first woman we see him with where he expends a LOT of effort to help her or impress her or make her like him.
For Tuon, she has spent her life being virtually worshipped by everyone below her in the social scale, and being an assassination target for the few people on her level. Trust is a pretty alien concept to her (except Selucia) - she thinks at one point about how strange it would be to have a companion who she doesn't have to fear will kill her. Then this guy comes along who she meets as Tylin's Toy - everyone assumes he's a bit of fluff. She also suspects almost immediately that she may marry him - she sees his fox/raven/moon ring the very first time they meet and there's all the times Mat spots her watching him in the Tarasin.  Then she finds all this weird stuff about him - first his ashanderei in the Tarasin Palace with its ravens and old tongue inscription, then when they're travelling with circus she sees the power of his medallion and his leadership skills (re: Aes Sedai, sul'dam etc.), then when they meet up with the Band of the Red Hand, she sees he is a well-loved and tactically impressive general. As she says to Karede after she marries Mat - "he makes an onion look like an apple". And while his lack of respect for her position does grate her slightly, IMO it's a major part of what helps her trust him (it's such a suicidal move in Seanchan to not show respect to a member of the High Blood that someone who doesn't would appear to her to be without guile - at least in respect to endangering her).
But to stop rambling my favourite scene of theirs is when Mat returns to Ebou Dar and saves her from the Grey Man.  After saving her and before they get down and dirty, he asks her if she loves him:

“An empress does not love,” she said. “I am sorry. I am with you because the omens state it so, and so with you I will bring the Seanchan an heir.”
Mat had a sinking feeling.
“However,” Tuon said. “Perhaps I can admit that it is… good to see you.”
Well, Mat thought, guess I can take that. For now.

I like to think that if we had ever got Outriggers, we would finally see, probably to the end of that series, Tuon telling Mat that she loves him.

I think that's enough for now even though there are loads of other scenes I could add.

Thank you RJ and BS for this amazing and exhausting series!

Very hard to decide this. But it has to be when Olver is hiding from the trollocs while hiding with the Horn of Valere and Noal saves him:

"The Pattern was not finished with me, son. Sound that Horn! Sound it proudly, Hornsounder!"

I shed a tear when that happened!

• 2 weeks later...

In no particular order: 

1. Almost every scene with Mat but mostly him beating the s%@t out of Galad and Gawyin; him killing Couladin;the letter to Elayne and The Tower of Ghenjei /or whatever was the name/
  2. Most of  Nynaeve scenes but manily her tests - both for Accepted and Aes Sedai; her suspecting Sheriam is BA; her saving Egwene's ungrateful a$$ from Seanchan and the "justice" she brought to sul'dam; the accidental healing of Logain; the "Will Lan Mandragoran ride to the Last Battle alone?" scene. Oh and I forgot - the goodbye scene with Valan Luca. Really I laughed like an idiot at this. 
  3. Dumai's Wells
  4. The cleaning of saidin
  5. Egewene deffending the White Tower  - I'm not one of the biggest Eggie's fans but that scene was awesome
  6. Rand finally realising he does not have MPD but is the Dragon Reborn

Archived