DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

I'm about halfway through TGS, and three of Rand's chapters have really blown me away:

1. Rand enter Moridin's dream.

As I previously mentioned, I'd been anticipating this one, and it lived up to my expectations. I must say, Brandon Sanderson has really lived up to the billing. In any case, the reason I think this scene is important is because, according to my theory, Rand & Moridin must merge as one, like Slayer, in order to defeat Padan Fain at Tarmon Gai'don (I know, crazy, right?). The common belief is Min's vision pertains to Lews Therin, but that's ridiculous, because he and Rand are already the same person. But, Slayer demonstrates that the merging of two men, in this world, can be quite literal. And, if Padan Fain wields an evil that lies outside of the Pattern, he not only threatens Rand and humanity, but the Dark Lord himself. Mashadar plucks threads from the Pattern just as surely as balefire, but in a much more terrifying way. I believe Robert Jordan's quote was "Sammael is toast". And, this chapter only reinforced my theory that Rand must ultimately unite the Light with the Dark (i.e. yin yang).

2. Semirhage places the Domination Band on Rand. Rand touches the True Power and breaks free.

Wow. That was intense. Holy shit. Again, this chapter didn't do much to dissuade me from my theory. Granted, I could be wrong (and probably am), but I think Rand & Moridin's dual nature is starting to come full circle (pun intended). As for the scene itself, it was pretty hardcore. It was the perfect conundrum; Rand won't kill women... but what if a woman is forcing you to kill the woman you love? What then? Well, apparently you reach out and touch Shai'tan himself, and blast your tormentors into oblivion with blinding bursts of torrential hellfire. Yep. That sounds about right.

3. Rand exiles Cadsuane and threatens to go all Lews Therin on her.

Perhaps it's just me, but I've never faulted Rand for hardening himself to the world. In fact, I think he's been quite measured, really. If I was forced to sacrifice myself in an incredibly bleak manner in order to save a world that hated me, I don't think I'd take it nearly so well as he has. And, for that reason, I've found Cadsuane infuriating. So, I was absolutely giddy when she was finally put in her place... Yes, yes, I know. She'll eventually get the last laugh, and teach Rand an important lesson about life, yada yada yada. But, I don't care. I'm living in the present and that was badass. Good riddance to that one. She was worse than Nynaeve (back before Nynaeve redeemed herself).

On a side note, I actually quite like Sorilea, so it wasn't the "strong female" character that put me off. It was Cadsuane herself.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, I actually quite like Sorilea, so it wasn't the "strong female" character that put me off. It was Cadsuane herself.

Yes Cadsuane is such a big meanie to Rand. It's not as if those little things like swearing to do what is best for him not herself or the WT, saving his life a couple times over, backing him to the hilt and creating a defense that allowed him to cleanse the taint, rescuing him from insanity and being shipped back to Elaida and coming up with a plan that made it so he could finally reintegrate his emotional state so that the light actually has a chance at TG makes up for that. She is mean to the savior so screw her. How dare she not care about rank and go about treating people as their actions dictate the majority of the time while working in the best interests of the light. I mean its only the fate of the world on the line. :)

Yes Cadsuane is such a big meanie to Rand. It's not as if those little things like swearing to do what is best for him not herself or the WT, saving his life a couple times over, backing him to the hilt and creating a defense that allowed him to cleanse the taint, rescuing him from insanity and being shipped back to Elaida and coming up with a plan that made it so he could finally reintegrate his emotional state so that the light actually has a chance at TG makes up for that. She is mean to the savior so screw her. How dare she not care about rank and go about treating people as their actions dictate the majority of the time while working in the best interests of the light. I mean its only the fate of the world on the line. :)

Rescuing him from insanity? She was one of the impetuses that drove him over the edge!

I understand that she wants to be of help to the light, but her constant manipulation, rudeness, and arrogance is infuriating to many readers, and rightly so. In my experience, respect and courtesy are given when one gives back, not through physical and verbal bullying. That is a major reason why many think Tam telling her basically to go (expletive) herself was awesome.

We know how Rand responds to most people. When Moiraine finally started being respectful of him and his horrid situation and started to advise him not through direct orders but open and honest suggestion, he responded extremely well. And we have seen this approach work multiple times as seen by the people Rand trusts and brings in to his inner circle, such as Bashere, Darlin, and Dobraine, who are respectful of him yet will readily and openly voice their concerns and disagreements with him.

It is a common theme with all three of the taveren. They all three of them surround themselves and trust in people who are honest and capable, and loathe those who they feel are trying to manipulate them dishonestly.

Rescuing him from insanity? She was one of the impetuses that drove him over the edge!

I understand that she wants to be of help to the light, but her constant manipulation, rudeness, and arrogance is infuriating to many readers, and rightly so. In my experience, respect and courtesy are given when one gives back, not through physical and verbal bullying. That is a major reason why many think Tam telling her basically to go (expletive) herself was awesome.

We know how Rand responds to most people. When Moiraine finally started being respectful of him and his horrid situation and started to advise him not through direct orders but open and honest suggestion, he responded extremely well. And we have seen this approach work multiple times as seen by the people Rand trusts and brings in to his inner circle, such as Bashere, Darlin, and Dobraine, who are respectful of him yet will readily and openly voice their concerns and disagreements with him.

It is a common theme with all three of the taveren. They all three of them surround themselves and trust in people who are honest and capable, and loathe those who they feel are trying to manipulate them dishonestly.

Moiraine's approach would have been an absolute disaster, further let's not sugar coat what Moir did. One way of controlling him wasn't working so she shifted gears and tried another. That is the reality of the situation. By the time Cads and him come together his views on AS had been so skewed and she saw that immediately. She went about doing a careful character study and the way she acts is based of that. Moiraine herself actually told Eggy that Rand would need people like Cads around....

You handle his temper well – though I may say your methods are unusual. He will need people who cannot be driven away or quelled by his rages, who will tell him what he must hear instead of what they think he wants to.”

- The Fires of Heaven, News Comes To Cairhien

The WOs agree with Cads as well and point out exactly why Moir's approach wouldn't work.

"Most men will take what is offered, if it seems attractive and pleasant," Sorilea said. "Once, we thought of Rand al'Thor so. Unfortunately, it is too late to change the path we walk. Now, he suspects whatever is offered freely. Now, if I wanted him to accept something, I would pretend I did not want him to have it. If I wanted to stay close to him, I would pretend indifference to whether I ever saw him again." Once more, those eyes focused on Cadsuane, green augers. Not trying to see what lay inside her head. The woman knew.

- The Path of Daggers, New Alliances

As you can see Cads hit on the exact method...

But I must wait for him to come to me. You see the way he runs roughshod over Alanna and the others. It will be hard enough teaching him, if he does ask. He fights guidance, he thinks he must do everything, learn everything, on his own, and if I do not make him work for it, he won't learn at all."

- Winter’s Heart, Bonds

We know of course that counter to your claim above it worked(even if it did take a lucky break at the end). Rand himself tells us that it was Cads that made it happen so not sure why you would try to deny it? So yes she set him on the path for reintegration and also saved him from insanity when he was put in the dungeon box in Far Madding. Recall how close he was to losing it after his treatment during the kidnapping only to be thrown back in a similar situation. Imagine if he had been sent back to Elaida after being captured there. It was Cads who had the foresight to lay a ton of groundwork in order to make that rescue possible. It was just one of the many times she saved him. But yeah when Rand comes into a room in the Sun Palace acting like a child and tossing threats about with the power how dare she laugh!!! What dishonesty!

Here is a nice little article from Linda at 13th Depository. Hope it puts the reality of the situation in perspective for you.

http://13depository....st-7-about.html

On another re read (couldnt wait) and the battle scene against the Shaido in The Fires of Heaven (chp 44) is epic from Mat's (embrances his role as a general, although not by choice) and Rand (By the end when Rand is tired, he is basically a merged form of LTT/Rand, not a separation like the rest of the books until VOG). Great chapter.

(can't wait til she finds out that he blew the Horn of Valere)

I'll bet she learns that he blew the horn when he produces it to call on the heroes of the Horn to tell her how wrong the using of adams are, and to win an argument with her. I can see it now as he say s so that is what you think? Well let us ask Artur Hakwing what he thinks of such and such

new fav scene.

Lanfear's reaction to finding out that Rand slept with Aviendha! XD Priceless!

If RJ was JRRM, Aviendha should have died on the spot. I am sure Kadere had enough time to tell her that Rand was bedding an "Aiel" before his skin was peeled off. And with Egwene (short and dark haired and dark eyed) and Aviendha (red hair and blue-green eyes) before her, Lanfear (with saidar enhanced senses) should have seen/known whom to kill. But I am glad she didn't; I love Aviendha.

I have the distinction of not caring about Aviendha. She could have died where she stood for all I cared.

Demandred talking to thee Dark One is high up there as well. If only because I already love Demandred despite this being my first time seeing him.

I might get a lot more favourite scenes. Given how my friend said that I should really love LOC

I just read the following chapter in TGS, and I must say, it was pretty intense:

-Verin reveals the Black Ajah to Egwene. Egwene meets Siuan in Tel'aran'rhiod to warn her about Sheriam. She then winks out of the dream world because Nicola is shaking her, trying to wake her up, screaming about Tarmon Gai'don. Explosions of the One Power rock the White Tower to the screams of Aes Sedai and their Warders. When Nicola mentions "flying Shadowspawn", Egwene quickly realizes it's not the Dark One. Her Dream, or nightmare rather, has finally come true. The Seanchan are attacking Tar Valon.

What makes it extra cool is we get two resolutions in one. We'd been waiting for the Black Ajah to be exposed since 1991, and ever since Elaida captured Egwene, I keep waiting for the Fists of Heaven to strike every other chapter. So, that was clever how they were both tied together. It made it all the more hectic.

Dude the best scene is when Mat is trying to explain his overly elaborate script on how to enter the town with nobody thinking there was a conspiracy behind it with the one eyed guy as a gleemans apprentice who ran away from his old aunt cause she fed him scraps and called him the dead dogs name, Talmanes having to wear the warder cloak and how he finally came out of the closet, and when Mat was walking out Talmanes had that tell tale hint of a twinkle in his eye that let him know he was laughing on the inside.

Priceless

The boot analogy the boot on the table as a paperweight made that moment, and the women and dice analogy you could actually use that in RL lol

When mat first gets away from the Aes Sedai after the healing and gets in a fight with a footpad a couple stories up and falls from a bridge i think that is also the first night he goes out dicing and finds out he is extraordinarily lucky not sure tho.

All of Mats visits to Finland

When Mat is looking for the guy who is trying to kill Elayne in Tear TDR and randomly walks in a tavern and the guy is sitting at a table Mat walks over and plays dice with the guys and knows he's using loaded dice and STILL! beats the guy then whoops up on his ass when it comes to blows.

Really any part that makes Mat look like a BAMF cuz really there shouldnt be any argument he is one, who else has gone HAM on a Gholem, I think he's the only one that could actually beat Lan in a one on one.

I was listening to the book on tape during that overly elaborate plan scene and I was laughing so hard I thought I'd have to pull over.

But, was I laughing so hard I missed Talmanes coming out? I always suspected, but there was confirmation?

I honestly couldnt say, its been a year since my last reread, but Dumai's Wells, Matt blowing the Horn, Rand on the peak of the Dragonmount, Mat giving half the light of the world to save Moraine. The Cleansing. There probably are more, but I cant think of anything else right now.

Just finished The Gathering Storm, and the ending was well done. The last chapter with Rand atop Dragonmount was a little cliché (i.e. All You Need Is Love... and another chance), but that much was expected.

But what really tied it all together was Egwene's epilogue, in which she witnesses the sign of the Dragon's salvation, and can sense what's happened. She doesn't know it's Rand, but she knows something important has happened, and takes comfort in it. It's not Elayne, or Min, or Aviendha who sees it, but Egwene. This has got to be significant. It makes me think Egwene is Ilyena's reincarnation, rather than any of Rand's wives (even though their names seem to hint at it). And, by letting her go her own way, "Lews Therin" saved her and won't end up making the same mistake again (at least, not in her specific case).

Ok, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through ToM, and there are two chapters that really stand out to me:

1. Perrin witnesses Rand's epiphany atop Dragonmount while in the wolf dream.

It's funny, because the last chapter of TGS, in which you see Rand's epiphany through his own eyes, didn't really do much for me. It was well written, but just a bit cliché. I was hoping for a more Eastern revelation (i.e. for Rand to free himself from attachments), but he went the opposite direction. A bit of a letdown, but I can't say I wasn't expecting it (i.e. All You Need Is Love).

But, what really makes Rand's epiphany so epic, in my eyes, are other people's reaction to it. I loved the epilogue of TGS, when Egwene witnesses Rand's salvation from the ruins of Tar Valon, and knows that something incredible has happened. Even though I was a little disappointed in the resolution itself (stress "little") Egwene's response to it tied it all together for me.

Now, enter Perrin. His reaction in the wolf dream is even more epic. In the wolf dream, Hopper keeps looking towards Dragonmount while trying to teach Perrin how to defeat Slayer. Perrin asks him what's going on, and Hopper says something along the lines of, "We are to find out if there will be a Last Hunt". Of course, Perrin doesn't understand, and asks him, "Why can't you choose for yourselves?" and Hopper answers, "It is not our choice to make". What Perrin doesn't realize is that Rand is atop Dragonmount with the ter'angreal key to the Choedan Kal, and is contemplating destroying the entire world. The wolves are saying, in effect, "The fate of the world is being decided right now, in Rand's mind. We will only go on the Last Hunt if Rand decides life is worth saving".

Granted, Hopper doesn't actually mention Rand, but Perrin's gut tells him that it is Rand. When he sees the maelstrom begin to form atop Dragonmount, he starts climbing toward it. The wolves won't go with him, but Perrin knows he must make it to the top. When he finally gets there, he sees Rand surrounded by darkness. The darkness consumes Rand, and Perrin begins shouting for him to fight the Shadow. Just when it looks like Rand will be taken by the darkness, a tiny pinprick of light pierces through the shroud. Ever so slowly, this pinprick grows larger and larger, until it begins to push back the darkness. Rand then explodes in a burst of light and the ever-present storm plaguing Tel'aran'rhiod breaks. The sun comes out, and the wolves start howling in celebration, cheering for Rand's salvation, and the salvation of life itself. The Last Hunt is coming.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Perrin, that may be my favorite scene in the entire series so far. I wasn't expecting it at all, because it took me a while to realize that Perrin's chapters are out of sync with Rand's. So, I thought Rand's salvation was all well and done with. A nice surprise.

2. The Storm of Light.

Rodel Ituralde has been holed up defending the Saldaean capital from an onslaught of Trollocs. Tarmon Gai'don has begun, by the looks of it, and Ituralde's force is sure to be consumed by the Shadowspawn if help doesn't arrive soon. Maradon is in ruins, and a majority of Ituralde's troops have died in battle. He himself is waiting to die, but he's holding on to a tiny shred of hope that Rand will keep his word and bail him out of there, though he no longer expects it to happen.

Ituralde is laying traps for trollocs, ambushing them in alleyways and from atop what's left of the city's infrastructure. Just when all hope seems lost, he hears the sound of hundreds of marching troops from his hiding spot. Fearing that they're trollocs, he makes peace with himself and all but expects to die. That's when he notices the soldiers are marching in unison. Trollocs don't do that. Similarly, he doesn't hear the sound of hooves marching with them, and realizes they aren't trollocs at all, but rather, Bashere's relief force come to the rescue.

Bashere's men take Ituralde to Bashere in Torkumen's old palace. While the two men grudgingly compliment each other, hundreds of thousands of trollocs suddenly storm the gap. Bashere and Ituralde are planning a hasty retreat when Rand suddenly appears in the back of the room. He apologizes to Ituralde for abandoning him, and declares he will no longer let the Shadow harm his people. He then travels by gateway to the gap, and unleashes a "Storm of Light" upon the trollocs. He literally shines like the sun, and begins to channel so powerfully that his Asha'man can't even read all the weaves, there were so many of them coming so quickly. The trollocs are waylaid by mountains of fire, and Maradon is saved. That's really the first glimpse we get of The Dragon in his role as The Dragon. We finally see what he's capable of. Pretty epic, if I don't say so myself.

one of my favourites is during the tribonding, then the girls get a glimpse of the pain he is in, and Avi says something to the effect "he is as strong as the threefold land" about it. BTW anyone remember what chapter/book it is in.

Here you go Durinax...

WH Ch. 12

He stared at them, expressionless, and slowly put his fingers to his temples.

"Oh, Light, Rand, the pain," Min murmured in a hurt voice. "I never knew; I never imagined. How can you stand it? There are pains you don't even seem to know, as if you've lived with them so long they're part of you. Those herons on your hands; you can still feel the branding. Those things on your arms hurt! And your side. Oh, Light, your side! Why aren't you crying, Rand? Why aren't you crying?" "He is the Car'a'carn," Aviendha said, laughing, "as strong as the Three-fold Land itself!" Her face was proud—oh, so proud– but even as she laughed, tears streamed down her sun-dark cheeks. "The veins of gold. Oh, the veins of gold. You do love me, Rand."

The Eye of the World, chapter 45 - What follows in Shadow

"I don't see how she saw anything about any of us;" Mat said with a grin. "As I remmember it, she spent most of her time looking at Rand."

Egwene raised an eyebrow. "Oh? You didn't tell me that, Moiraine Sedai."

Rand glanced at her. She was not looking at him, but her tone had been too carefully neutral. "I talked to her once," he said. "She dresses like a boy, and her hair is as short as mine."

"You talked to her. Once." Egwene nodded slowly. Still not looking at him, she raised her cup to her lips.

"Min was just somebody who worked at the inn in Baerlon," Perrin said. "Not like Aram."

Egwene choked on hear tea. "Too hot," she muttered.

"Who's Aram?" Rand asked. Perrin smiled, much like Mat's smile in the old days when he was up to mischief, and hid behind his cup.

"One of the Traveling People," Egwene said casually, but red spots bloomed in her cheeks.

"One of the Traveling People," Perrin said blandly. "He dances. Like a bird. Wasn't that what you said, Egwene? It was like flying with a bird?"

Egwene set her cup down deliberately. "I don't know if anyone else is tired, but I'm going to sleep."

As she rolled herself up in her blankets, Perrin reached over to nudge Rand in the ribs and winked. Rand found himself grinning back. Burn me, if I didn't come out best for a change. I wish I knew as much about women as Perrin.

"Maybe, Rand," Mat said slyly, "you ought to tell Egwene about Farmer Grinwell's daughter, Else." Egwene lifted her head to stare first at Mat, then at him.

He hastily got up to fetch his own blankets. "Sleep sounds good to me right now."

Cracks me up. Every re-read.

Archived