DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

Dumai's Wells, the scene where the ashaman (Eben I think) comes into the rebel Aes Sedai camp and begins to reveal things to them in a completely BA way, or Perrin's charge to save the whitecloaks

It was Narishma, and I agree it was very satisfying, particularly him basically telling Merise to stuff it.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumai's Wells, the scene where the ashaman (Eben I think) comes into the rebel Aes Sedai camp and begins to reveal things to them in a completely BA way, or Perrin's charge to save the whitecloaks

It was Narishma, and I agree it was very satisfying, particularly him basically telling Merise to stuff it.

So good.

KoD Ch. 23

“A peculiar number, forty-seven,” Janya mused. “May I question your Warder, Merise? Thank you. How did the Dragon Reborn come to that number. Jahar?” A very good question, Romanda thought. In the shock of achieving what they needed without any requirement for partnership, it had eluded her.

Jahar drew himself up as if he had anticipated this, and dreaded answering. His face remained hard and cold, though. “Fifty-one sisters have been bonded by Asha’man already, and four of us are bonded to Aes Sedai. Forty-seven makes the difference. There were five of us, but one died defending his Aes Sedai. Remember his name. Eben Hopwil. Remember him!”

There was a stunned silence from the benches. Romanda felt a lump of ice in her middle. Fifty-one sisters? Bonded by Asha’man? It was an abomination!

“Manners, Jahar!” Merise snapped. “Do not make me tell you again!”

Shockingly, he rounded on her. “They need to know, Merise. They need to know!” Turning back, he ran his gaze along the benches. His eyes seemed hot. He had been dreading nothing. He had been angry, and still was. “Eben was linked with his Daigian and Beldeine, with Daigian controlling the link, so when they found themselves facing one of the Forsaken, all he could do was shout, ‘She’s channeling saidin.’ and attack her with his sword. And despite what she did to him, ruined as he was, he managed to hang on to life, hang on to saidin, long enough for Daigian to drive her off. So you remember his name! Eben Hopwil. He fought for his Aes Sedai long after he should have been dead!”

When he fell silent, no one spoke until Escaralde finally said, very quietly. “We will remember him, Jahar.

So good.

KoD Ch. 23

“A peculiar number, forty-seven,” Janya mused. “May I question your Warder, Merise? Thank you. How did the Dragon Reborn come to that number. Jahar?” A very good question, Romanda thought. In the shock of achieving what they needed without any requirement for partnership, it had eluded her.

Jahar drew himself up as if he had anticipated this, and dreaded answering. His face remained hard and cold, though. “Fifty-one sisters have been bonded by Asha’man already, and four of us are bonded to Aes Sedai. Forty-seven makes the difference. There were five of us, but one died defending his Aes Sedai. Remember his name. Eben Hopwil. Remember him!”

There was a stunned silence from the benches. Romanda felt a lump of ice in her middle. Fifty-one sisters? Bonded by Asha’man? It was an abomination!

Shockingly, he rounded on her. “They need to know, Merise. They need to know!” Turning back, he ran his gaze along the benches. His eyes seemed hot. He had been dreading nothing. He had been angry, and still was. “Eben was linked with his Daigian and Beldeine, with Daigian controlling the link, so when they found themselves facing one of the Forsaken, all he could do was shout, ‘She’s channeling saidin.’ and attack her with his sword. And despite what she did to him, ruined as he was, he managed to hang on to life, hang on to saidin, long enough for Daigian to drive her off. So you remember his name! Eben Hopwil. He fought for his Aes Sedai long after he should have been dead!”

When he fell silent, no one spoke until Escaralde finally said, very quietly. “We will remember him, Jahar.

You know, Escaralde immediately became one of my favorite Aes Sedai with that simple line. Good thing she didn't turn out to be black.

Mangin's Hanging. It's a sad scene and it gets me every time. I still love how much it gets me, though.

Jalani put her plump face in at the door--Aiel seemed not to understand knocking--and said, "Mangin is here to speak with Rhuarc and you, Rand al'Thor."

"Tell him I'll be happy to talk with him later--" Rand got that far before Rhuarc broke in quietly.

"You should speak with him now, Rand al'Thor." The clan chief's face looked grave; Berelain had replaced the long paper on the table and was studying the floor.

"Very, well," Rand said slowly.

Jalani's head vanished, and Mangin came in. Taller that Rand, he had been one of those who crossed the Dragonwall in search of He Who Comes With the Dawn, one of the handful who took the Stone of Tear. "Six days ago I killed a man," he began without preamble, "a treekiller, and I must know if I have toh to you, Rand al'Thor."

"To me?" Rand said. "You can defend yourself, Mangin; Light, you know tha--" For a moment he was silent, meeting gray eyes that were sober but certainly not afraid. Curios, maybe. Rhuarc's face told him nothing; Berelain was still not meeting his gaze. "He did attack you, didn't he?"

Mangin shook his head slightly. "I saw that he deserved to die, so I killed him." He said it conversationally; he saw the drains needed cleaning, so he cleaned them. "But you have said we cannot kill the oathbreakers except in battle, or if they attack us. Do I have toh toward you now?"

Rand remembered what he had said.... him will I hang. His chest felt tight. "Why did he deserve to die?"

"He wore what he had no right to," Mangin replied.

"Wore what? What did he wear, Mangin?"

Rhuarc answered, touching his left forearm. "This." He meant the Dragon coiled around his arm. Clan chiefs did not display them often, or even speak of them; almost everything about the markings were shrouded in mystery, and the chiefs were content to leave it so. "It was a thing of needles and inks, of course." A tattoo.

"He was pretending to be a clan chief?" Rand realized he was searching for an excuse....him will i hang. Mangin had been one of the first to follow him.

"No," Mangin said. "He was drinking, and showing off what he should not have had. I see your eyes, Rand al'Thor." He grinned suddenly. "It is a puzzle. I was right to kill him, but now I have toh to you."

"You were wrong to kill him. You know the penalty for murder."

"A rope around the neck, as these wetlanders use." Manging nodded thoughtfully. "Tell me where and when; I will be there. May you find water and shade today, Rand al'Thor."

"May you find water and shade today, Mangin," Rand told him sadly.

So much happens in this passage. You can see how much ji'e'toh means to the Aiel since Mangin is willing to die to fulfill an obligation he does not understand. You can see how prepared the Aiel are to wake from the dream. And you can just feel Rand's heart break. On any rereads, any time I see Mangin, I get sad knowing his fate.

Egwene serving tea to Elaida, and telling her off. This one event changes Elaida's entire station, and you can tell she wouldn't have held on to the Amyrlin Seat, even if she hadn't been damaned by the Seanchan.

Seeing Elaida squirm in front of the Empress was fairly satisfying as well.

So good.

KoD Ch. 23

Yup definately one of my favourites. And such a great introductory POV for Romanda, who is amongst the most conservative of the Aes Sedai around.

When Rand and Nynaeve kill Rahvin. I like all the early endings with the huge OP showdowns vs. the Forsaken, but this is my favorite because it isn't just clueless Rand the boy-of-prophecy channeling without knowing what he's doing.

but its offset by the prophecy boy pullin shit out of his hat in TAR

Yup definately one of my favourites. And such a great introductory POV for Romanda, who is amongst the most conservative of the Aes Sedai around.

Reading Romanda I saw a woman who is capable and who put the WT's interests at heart more than Lelaine, who was a Machiavellian power-hungry AS. There are a couple of her PoV's and scenes that hint at Cadsuane. If the rebels didn't have Egwene, Romanda would have been the best choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my favorite scene but a favorite - more of a snippet, really. It's a chapter leading up to Dumai. It's mentioned that the first time the AS pull Rand out of the box, he kills a warder straight out and mortally wounds another warder who dies later with his bare hands. All I could think was, "good for you, Rand."

Not my favorite scene but a favorite - more of a snippet, really. It's a chapter leading up to Dumai. It's mentioned that the first time the AS pull Rand out of the box, he kills a warder straight out and mortally wounds another warder who dies later with his bare hands. All I could think was, "good for you, Rand."

if thats what his woman being tortured rage does, imagine his warder death rage

if thats what his woman being tortured rage does, imagine his warder death rage

Haha!!! Scary

Reading Romanda I saw a woman who is capable and who put the WT's interests at heart more than Lelaine, who was a Machiavellian power-hungry AS. There are a couple of her PoV's and scenes that hint at Cadsuane. If the rebels didn't have Egwene, Romanda would have been the best choice.

Romanda would have been a terrible choice. She's nearly 300 and refuses to unswear the Oaths, so she could die at any time. Her previous retirement wasn't due to age; she left the Tower just because Tamra Ospenya had been elected to the Amyrlin Seat, so she did put her personal interests above helping the Tower. She's very much a traditionalist and wants the Tower to remain the same forever, even if that means all Aes Sedai will continue to die at 300 when they could live twice as long. She does have positive traits (and amusing ones like her secret fondness of romance novels), but it's doubtful if she would have had as much power as she does if she hadn't been one of the strongest Aes Sedai.

Just off the top of my head...

Mat and Birgitte in A Crown of Swords realizing each others' secrets..."What language do we speak, Hornsounder?"

Rand at Rhuidean is the scene of the series for me, by far. The sheer amount of layered world-building laid out as he experiences the fall of man is jaw-dropping.

I'm struggling through a few. My top five, not in order really, I can't really pick one that's my favorite.

1. Verin and Egwene in TGS, that almost brought tears.

2. Rand at the top of Dragonmount in TGS, that would make a truly epic scene when they eventually do the film adaptations.

3. The rescue scene at Malden

4. Moraine vs. Lanfear

5. Rand's attack on Rahvin

Ok, I lied a little bit, numbers one and two are my absolute favorites.

A few scenes that I recently remembered/rediscovered that I thoroughly enjoy (they may have been posted already, my apologies if this is the case)

I really love when the Trolloc army outside of the Two Rivers chants 'ISAM' as a battlecry in TSR. I think it gives an interesting dimension to the Trollocs, that they have heroes/champions outside of the Forsaken that they revere (even if only out of fear). Also, Rand using Moiraine to twist Mat around the night before the Lanfear encounter in TFoH. It was such a cool mental tag team: they were at the height of their familiarity, and showed a glimpse of how effective the Dragon Reborn and an Aes Sedai adviser could be. In some ways, this is reproduced with Cadsuane in ToM when Rand snags the Borderlanders, but for subjective reasons I think the Moiraine/Rand/Mat scene was much cooler. Any time Rand is on that super saiyan brink of absolute rage is compelling for me, as you can see all of the frustrations that his station causes. Finally, when Moirain discovers that Sammael is in Illian and that everyone is sharing his dreams is still electrifying for me, as the dialogue really conveys the gravity of the situation.

The Path of Daggers - Rand and his army of 6000 + Ashaman have sent the Seanchan running back to Ebou Dar. Bashere says it's time to go home, they've done what they set out to do, but Rand is thinking about taking Ebou Dar now. LTT's voice says "I would not mind you in my head, if you weren't so clearly mad."

Great stuff.

The Path of Daggers - Rand and his army of 6000 + Ashaman have sent the Seanchan running back to Ebou Dar. Bashere says it's time to go home, they've done what they set out to do, but Rand is thinking about taking Ebou Dar now. LTT's voice says "I would not mind you in my head, if you weren't so clearly mad."

Great stuff.

+1

That whole section of TPoD with the dialogue between Rand and LTT is all time.

Mangin's Hanging. It's a sad scene and it gets me every time. I still love how much it gets me, though.

Jalani put her plump face in at the door--Aiel seemed not to understand knocking--and said, "Mangin is here to speak with Rhuarc and you, Rand al'Thor."

"Tell him I'll be happy to talk with him later--" Rand got that far before Rhuarc broke in quietly.

"You should speak with him now, Rand al'Thor." The clan chief's face looked grave; Berelain had replaced the long paper on the table and was studying the floor.

"Very, well," Rand said slowly.

Jalani's head vanished, and Mangin came in. Taller that Rand, he had been one of those who crossed the Dragonwall in search of He Who Comes With the Dawn, one of the handful who took the Stone of Tear. "Six days ago I killed a man," he began without preamble, "a treekiller, and I must know if I have toh to you, Rand al'Thor."

"To me?" Rand said. "You can defend yourself, Mangin; Light, you know tha--" For a moment he was silent, meeting gray eyes that were sober but certainly not afraid. Curios, maybe. Rhuarc's face told him nothing; Berelain was still not meeting his gaze. "He did attack you, didn't he?"

Mangin shook his head slightly. "I saw that he deserved to die, so I killed him." He said it conversationally; he saw the drains needed cleaning, so he cleaned them. "But you have said we cannot kill the oathbreakers except in battle, or if they attack us. Do I have toh toward you now?"

Rand remembered what he had said.... him will I hang. His chest felt tight. "Why did he deserve to die?"

"He wore what he had no right to," Mangin replied.

"Wore what? What did he wear, Mangin?"

Rhuarc answered, touching his left forearm. "This." He meant the Dragon coiled around his arm. Clan chiefs did not display them often, or even speak of them; almost everything about the markings were shrouded in mystery, and the chiefs were content to leave it so. "It was a thing of needles and inks, of course." A tattoo.

"He was pretending to be a clan chief?" Rand realized he was searching for an excuse....him will i hang. Mangin had been one of the first to follow him.

"No," Mangin said. "He was drinking, and showing off what he should not have had. I see your eyes, Rand al'Thor." He grinned suddenly. "It is a puzzle. I was right to kill him, but now I have toh to you."

"You were wrong to kill him. You know the penalty for murder."

"A rope around the neck, as these wetlanders use." Manging nodded thoughtfully. "Tell me where and when; I will be there. May you find water and shade today, Rand al'Thor."

"May you find water and shade today, Mangin," Rand told him sadly.

So much happens in this passage. You can see how much ji'e'toh means to the Aiel since Mangin is willing to die to fulfill an obligation he does not understand. You can see how prepared the Aiel are to wake from the dream. And you can just feel Rand's heart break. On any rereads, any time I see Mangin, I get sad knowing his fate.

I'm going to be honest. On my last reread I had to skip this scene

Archived