DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I go through spurts with WoT, I'll read a book and a half in two weeks, then won't read for a long time. I've started up on my most recent spurt, and I was at the end of Path of Daggers and I'm now in the prologue of Winter's Heart. My question is, when did Logain become an Asha'man? The last I remember of him was Nyneave healing him, then I think he accompanied an important character from Salidar to somewhere else, then next I know he's a commanding officer at The Black Tower. Did I forget what happened or was the jump never explained, at least not yet?

It isn't given any 'screen time' as such.  When Egwene chooses to release Logain, she hopes that he will go to the Black Tower, but doesn't no for certain.  In APoD its revealed that he did choose to go to the Black Tower and had at some point been raised to Asha'man.  I would imagine he was raised fairly quickly on arrival, having already gained good control and experience with the power.  

I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of him accompanying an important character from Salidar to somewhere else.  He briefly tried to escape after being Healed by Nynaeve but didn't leave the village until Egwene released him.  On his journey to Salidar he was travelling with Siuan, Leane, and Min (while he was gentled).

I just read an interesting piece. When Cadsuane goes to the Sun Palace in the winter, she confronts Alanna. Alanna embraces the source, and Cads feels one of her hair ornaments go slightly cold. 

(PoD)

"Alanna stiffened. The light of saidar suddenly shone around her.

"If you wish to be truly fulish, " Cadsuane smiled, a cold smile. She made no move to embrace the Source herself. One of her dangling hair ornaments, intertwined golden crescents, was cool on her temple.

Mayhaps another weave-blocking terangreal, like Mat's medallion?

Edited by jedman67

I just read an interesting piece. When Cadsuane goes to the Sun Palace in the winter, she confronts Alanna. Alanna embraces the source, and Cads feels one of her hair ornaments go slightly cold. 

(PoD)

"Alanna stiffened. The light of saidar suddenly shone around her.

"If you wish to be truly fulish, " Cadsuane smiled, a cold smile. She made no move to embrace the Source herself. One of her dangling hair ornaments, intertwined golden crescents, was cool on her temple.

Mayhaps another weave-blocking terangreal, like Mat's medallion?

Her paralis-net has a number of different items of which that is one.

Interview: Oct 4th, 2005Robert Jordan

For Krassos, yes, a channeler could still channel wearing Mat's amulet. Cadsuane has one much like it.

KoD Ch. 7

“Joline must have tried to stop you. and Teslyn and Edesina as well, but whatever they did failed. I think that means you possess a ter’angreal that can disrupt flows of the Power. I’ve heard of such things-Cadsuane Melaidhrin supposedly had one, or so rumor said- but I’ve never seen the like. I would very much like to. I won’t try to take it away from you, but I would appreciate seeing it.”

It was made:

CoT

during the Breaking of the World, when an Aes Sedai might find many hands turned against her, most especially those of men who could channel.

We also see Nyn has a similar one that works in WH during the Alivia v. Lanfear fight. Lanfear would have schooled her otherwise.

WH

Just as it reached the woman, almost close enough to singe her garments, the web of Fire unraveled. The woman did not do anything; the net simply came apart! Cyndane had never heard of a ter'angreal that would break a web, but it must be that.

There are some awesome moments during her early interactions with the ash'aman in which Cads is practically daring them to channel as well.

As she said, if she didn't have all those items of power her life would have gone very differently.

CoT

That [Not earning her ter’angreal] would have altered a great deal of history. For one thing, it would have been unlikely that she would be in anything approaching her present circumstances.

Edited by Suttree

About the terangreal/paralis-net, the following page explains some of the specific ones::

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/items/paralis-net.html

Following is another page::http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/cadsuanes-ornaments.html

About Logain's arrival at the Black Tower, it was off screen like another poster told; also him becoming an Ashaman.

His "escape" from the rebel Aes Sedia was on the 632nd day of the series.  The bonding of Eliada's Aes Sedia occurred on the 685th day of the series.  Got both of those from Steven Cooper's timeline.

Logain's arrival was some time between those 2; becoming an Ashaman I guess occurred shortly after arrival.

I don't remember the exact quote; but Logain said something along the lines that Taim would have held back the dragon pin [from Logain] if he dared. But Logain was too strong and too well trained, and too public for him to refuse raising him to Asha'man. I would theorize that it would take Logain about a month of hard riding to make it all the way to caemlyn. He would have to cross half of Altara and the entire Murandy, and half of Andor. Of course, he could have ran into one of the Black Towers recruiting parties and asked to be tested; or perhaps he went to his estates - being a lord of murandy prior to declaring himself the dragon reborn, he could have had some access to his familys wealth. 

So it's probably about 30 days from the AS camp, and was probably raised to full ashaman shortly after.

Actually, it was Ghealdan not Murandy.

The quote is in Crossroads of Twilight chapter 24.

"... And he has a coterie of twenty or thirty he keeps close and trains privately.  Every man who wears the Dragon is one of that group except me, and he'd have kept the Dragon from me, if he dared. ..."

Actually, it was Ghealdan not Murandy.

The quote is in Crossroads of Twilight chapter 24.

"... And he has a coterie of twenty or thirty he keeps close and trains privately.  Every man who wears the Dragon is one of that group except me, and he'd have kept the Dragon from me, if he dared. ..."

oops, thats what i meant. Thanks!

Maybe this is the wrong topic to ask this question, but I'll ask it anyway:

I am from the Netherlands and I want to buy the series. I'd like to buy the Orbit books, written in English and with hardcover. But I can't seem to find them anywhere with hardcover, only the Tor books seem to come with hardcover. Didn't I search hard enough or are the Orbit books only published in paperback? In the Netherlands I found the books (translated to Dutch), with hardcover and with the Orbit covers. That's why I thought they had to be in English with hardcover too. 

Maybe this is the wrong topic to ask this question, but I'll ask it anyway:

I am from the Netherlands and I want to buy the series. I'd like to buy the Orbit books, written in English and with hardcover. But I can't seem to find them anywhere with hardcover, only the Tor books seem to come with hardcover. Didn't I search hard enough or are the Orbit books only published in paperback? In the Netherlands I found the books (translated to Dutch), with hardcover and with the Orbit covers. That's why I thought they had to be in English with hardcover too. 

I have a few of the WoT books as Orbit hardcovers, there are such versions for sure.

They are available at online stores too, see the links below for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1841498726

http://www.bookdepository.com/Memory-Light-Robert-Jordan/9781841498720

Edited by David Selig

After the telaranrhiod battle (Towers of Midnight chapters 36-38), did anyone search for the Blacks in the waking world?

Does Mesaana remember anything from that battle and/or anything from before?  If so (on either), what is the last thing she remembers?

When Perrin threw the dreamspike into the telaranrhiod lava, did the dreamspike return to the waking world or was it permanently destroyed?

1. The Black Ajah were purged from the Tower at this point, only Mesaana remained because she could get around the Oaths. So no, they didn't bother looking for them since they were not in the Tower. 

2. No idea. I don't think she does much thinking any more. 

3. It was destroyed. 

• 3 weeks later...

This might have been asked at some point but I can't read through the whole discussion :tongue: 

I'm rereading again and in Eye of the world when Rand falls asleep next to Tams bed after he was healed, he wakes up with a pain in his side where his sword hilt had been pushing into him.

Now my question, is that the same side where his never healed scar is going to be and is this forshadowing? Or am I just reading too much into a simpel thought?

It seems to me that the last comment in the dream woke Rand, not the jabbing of the sword.  And it seems to me that Rand first felt the sore after waking up.

The scene does not specify which side the sore was.

Edit::  The unhealling scar was on his left side.

Edited by mb

It seems to me that the last comment in the dream woke Rand, not the jabbing of the sword.  And it seems to me that Rand first felt the sore after waking up.

The scene does not specify which side the sore was.

Edit::  The unhealling scar was on his left side.

Since Rand is right-handed, his sword would naturally be on his left, so it might make some sense that it was foreshadowing. 

Why does the Dark One Refer to Rand as Lews Therin? It makes sense that the Chosen refer to Rand as Lews Therin because that is what they knew him as, but the Dark One has known Rand's incarnation ever since the beginning, and Lews Therin was not the first Dragon. 

If the Dark One started calling him "Jimmeh Rubles," Rand would probably leave quickly thinking he was late for the Last Battle. which would have been a great nod to the White Rabbit of Alice in Wonderland...

Why does the Dark One Refer to Rand as Lews Therin? It makes sense that the Chosen refer to Rand as Lews Therin because that is what they knew him as, but the Dark One has known Rand's incarnation ever since the beginning, and Lews Therin was not the first Dragon. 

The people Shai'tan has most contact with are the Chosen, who refer to him as Lews Therin. Given that He has no attachment to any particular name of the Dragon, why not call him Lews Therin?

Fair enough. 

I've got another question. I am at the section of WH with Far Madding. In Rand's first chapter there, I was wondering the entire time why he and Rochaid didn't just use the one power to fight, but I thought this was explained later when the group of Aes Sedai entered and the Aes Sedai attending to Shalon and Haline said that the Asha'man can't channel because of the thing in the Hall of Counsels. I thought that it prevented men from channeling because it also prevents women from channeling, but later the thing goes off when a man channels in Far Madding. Does this mean that whatever it is does not stop men from channeling, but only detects them, while completely preventing women from channeling?

The Guardian in Far Madding has 3 purposes. To prevent channelling by men, by women, and to detect channelling. It actually has different ranges for the three of these. The greatest range is for simply detecting channelling, the second greatest to prevent men from channelling, and the smallest to prevent women from channelling. In truth, it only prevents channellers from connecting to the True Source. In 99.9% of cases this will prevent channelling, but there is a way to get around it. The male channeller detected by the Guardian in WH chapter 24, was within the detection range but outside the prevention range.

Edited by Master Ablar

In the beginning, Andor nobles and Caemlyn residents seemed to think that "Doilin Mellar" fathered Elayne's babies.  Do they still think that or have recent events change their mind?  If the later, who do they now think fathered her babies?

Is Daved Hanlon still using that alias or is he using a different name?  If the later, what name is he now using?

In the beginning, Andor nobles and Caemlyn residents seemed to think that "Doilin Mellar" fathered Elayne's babies.  Do they still think that or have recent events change their mind?  If the later, who do they now think fathered her babies?

Is Daved Hanlon still using that alias or is he using a different name?  If the later, what name is he now using?

Up to the end of of ToM the situation is that most of the Andoran nobles and Caemlyn residents still believe Doliin Mellar is the most likely candidate to be the father of Elayne's babies.  Elayne has not publicly denied the rumours, and most people are not aware of the exact nature of events that happen in the palace in ToM.  

Up to the end of of ToM the situation is that most of the Andoran nobles and Caemlyn residents still believe Doliin Mellar is the most likely candidate to be the father of Elayne's babies.  Elayne has not publicly denied the rumours, and most people are not aware of the exact nature of events that happen in the palace in ToM.  

After he was arrested as Darkfriend and waiting for an execution, and later on almost killed her, I would think the rumour died out quickly, with Elayne's help.

After he was arrested as Darkfriend and waiting for an execution, and later on almost killed her, I would think the rumour died out quickly, with Elayne's help.

RAFO in AMoL.