DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Nice military breakdown here...

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/book/export/html/136

As for the Shaido:

Shaido Aiel:

The Shadio have taken great losses. We have not heard any recent news of Aiel raids in Murandy or Illian, which means the clans left in Illian have successfully put an end to Shaido in that area. A few Shaido septs were scattered on the Almoth Plain, but various forces there may take care of them as well.

The Seanchan managed to clear the Shaido out of Tarabon and Amadicia some time ago. While Perrin’s campaign in Altara killed many, there were two groups of Shaido reported approaching Malden in Knife of Dreams, The Last Knot, one of twenty to thirty thousand and one of thirty five to forty thousand with at least three to four thousand spears in each group. These Shaido moved into Malden to investigate it after Perrin left (The Gathering Storm, Questions of Control) and may follow behind Perrin.

Therava is taking the remainder of the Shaido back to the Aiel Waste.

• 1 month later...

Was this not the funniest moment ever in the books for anyone else as well???

Book 13, when Perrin is eating that ham in his tent and Gaul comes in and says "celebrating?"  perrin replied, "yes, breakfast."  Gaul replies, "a mighty victory!"

LOL, i dunno, to me it was the funniest part ever!!    I really don't know why!  I guess my perception of the characters just makes it that way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are there any Chanelers who are strong but unskilled?

Like, there are two tropes on tv tropes. Unskilled but strong and Weak but skilled. and they mean pretty much what they imply.

I was just curious if I've missed something. It seems that all channeleres who are strong in the  power are also prodigies when it comes to memorizing and utilizing weaves as well. Is this an actual thing intended by RJ and BS or is it just that all the main characters are amazing because they're main characters?

I think Nynaeve would fit the description. She doesn't have great dexterity outside of healing and has disdained learning anything outside of her narrow area of focus. Much as Cads said she is "dismal" at all else.

It also should be noted that memorizing a weave and mastering it are two vastly different things.

Edited by Suttree

Dexterity is mainly discussed when men and women are compared. I don't think Cadsuane is entirely truthful, and I think she's a lot harsher than she needs to be, most of the time. That's how I would read it. But Nynaeve probably has a lot of weaknesses, just like I would think most of them have. 

As for One power duels, strength and training are probably the two most important things. Dexterity is probably less important then, given the outcome of various duels and fights.

Are there any Chanelers who are strong but unskilled?

Like, there are two tropes on tv tropes. Unskilled but strong and Weak but skilled. and they mean pretty much what they imply.

I was just curious if I've missed something. It seems that all channeleres who are strong in the power are also prodigies when it comes to memorizing and utilizing weaves as well. Is this an actual thing intended by RJ and BS or is it just that all the main characters are amazing because they're main characters?

I would infer alivia is less skilled than verin even in combat. Unfortunately, we do not get to see their respective battles in full to get a more conclusive answer.

Verin‘s circle drove off graendal (who possess a minor angreal), and verin had the harder task of protecting 3 in her circle (and failed to keep the weakst alive).

Alivia had a paralis net and angreal and came out quite mangled

But at the end of the day combat is as such skill as it is luck. Otherwise we will have to conclude graendal is better than cyndane and mog.

Edited by James Tham

• 2 weeks later...

So when a channeler creates a flow of something. are they creating that element from scratch? or does it do something like create a flow which only interacts with that particular element?

Like, if a channeler was  trapped somewhere with limited air and water, Could they use flows of water and flows of air to keep themselves alive?

Edited by EmperorAllspice

Hi you Dragonmount Guru's!

nice thread this, so i'll ask away. (My second post, although i've read lots on these forums)

First question that comes to my mind is this: How did the Dark One get Lanfear of the 'Land of the Finns'?

Sure, he is the Lord of the Grave, but we kinda know Moraine isn't dead, so i think it is safe to assume Lanfear/Cyndane wasn't killed by the ter'angreal either. Does he have some power in 'Finnland'?

Anyone can shed some Light here? (I am aware i made some assumptions here: Moraine=alive and Lanfear=Cyndane, but they seem pretty safe)

Thanks,

Tom

To get Lanfear out of there, I think that the Dark One sent Morridin to the land of the Finns to kill her. Since the Dark One is Lord of the Grave he could then take her soul and give her a new body. I think this would also be, in the eyes of the DO, a good punishment for her failure to convert Rand, she loses her beauty.  

To get Lanfear out of there, I think that the Dark One sent Morridin to the land of the Finns to kill her. Since the Dark One is Lord of the Grave he could then take her soul and give her a new body. I think this would also be, in the eyes of the DO, a good punishment for her failure to convert Rand, she loses her beauty.  

Almost. Luc/Isam was sent.

It most likely was Moridin, not Slayer. Despite what it looks like, you can't enter the TG from T'A'R as per RJ, so Slayer didn't really go in there - he just jumped away from Perrin in tSR. 

So when a channeler creates a flow of something. are they creating that element from scratch? or does it do something like create a flow which only interacts with that particular element?

Like, if a channeler was  trapped somewhere with limited air and water, Could they use flows of water and flows of air to keep themselves alive?

They draw upon the True Source which is like the 'well' of the OP for all their channelling needs. So yeah, effectively if someone knew how to create Oxygen (I'm not sure if it's possible) they could keep themselves alive with the OP. 

It most likely was Moridin, not Slayer. Despite what it looks like, you can't enter the TG from T'A'R as per RJ, so Slayer didn't really go in there - he just jumped away from Perrin in tSR. 

Really? I thought I remembered it being explicitly stated that Moridin sent Isam to kill her so that her soul could be recaptured.

I'm not aware of any statement about slayer, do you remember where it was? 

As it is, I use this: 

INTERVIEW: Oct 9th, 1996 ERICA SADUN
What was going on in Aelfland when Mat went round and round and round the same location? Were they traveling in time?
ROBERT JORDAN
Not traveling in time. The physical laws of nature differ. Mentioning the Dark One [in Randland] is bad luck. In Aelfland, it is *REALLY* bad. You cannot go to Aelfland in Tel'aran'rhiod (similar to stedding).
The applicable in bold. 
There are also signs in aMoL, but this topic is reserved for non-aMoL spoiler questions. 

I know Slayer didn't go into the Tower, but didn't Hopper get all anxious when Perrin was near the Tower? I thought that entering in TAR was a really, really bad idea but still possible?

It was certainly strange. Both Birgitte and Hopper seemed to act as if it were possible, however, it may be anxiety of the Tower in general. I doubt Hopper would know if it were possible to enter the Tower via TAR, I don't think wolves go near it, nor go through it (admittedly, I don't know, but I find it hard to believe wolves going through to the Finns and getting answers/wishes). 

Birgitte's caution is also justified. She remembers going through and how dangerous it is in general. She may have just been warning him not to explore the Tower any further (which may lead him to enter in the real world). 

At least, that's what I suppose in any case. Unless RJ had made a mistake or the transcription of the interview is wrong, it does seem strange.