DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

At The Hospital

Vanion

I will be rather scarce for I am not sure how long. I am at the hospital right now. My dad suffered a massive heart attack about 4 hours ago. His heart has stopped 3 times and they have had to shock him back each time. The cardiologist said there is a chance he won't make it through the night. His heart beat is very erratic right now and the angeoplast was unsuccessful so they couldn't get the stint into the heart valve to keep it open. Have to wait until the morning for the cardiac surgeon to get here and evaluate my dad then operate...

I feel absolutely useless right now...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Vanion.

and by you being there just for support is not being useless. don't think like that, it won't do any good to get your head in a worse space. don't dwell on the negative try an be positive. i know from experience.

Well, my dad is stable at the moment.

Needs a triple bypass, but we have to wait until early next week before they can operate.

They gave him something called Plavix when he was first brought in. Was to help thin his blood and all to prevent more heart attacks or something. Takes like a week to get out of his system though, so they can't operate until it runs through him.

Apparently, early test results are showing that he has likely had minor heart attacks in the past and not realized that what they were. I am being told that between 60-70% of his heart is already damaged.

At the moment, only one of the arteries in his heart is clear. The top 3 arteries are still blocked, which are the ones he needs the bypass done on.

More tests are being run, so I'll know more later. Fridat I find out exactly when he will go in for surgery.

Apparently, there is always a 2% fatality risk for heart surgery. However, with the extent of the damage already done to his heart, that risk factor will raise significantly.

My father is currently doing well though. Cracking jokes and making light of it as is his way. The day nurse also told him that if he pinched her ass one more time, she would tell the night-nurse to stop giving him morphine for his arthritis pain.

My dad hates hospitals. He is going to be there for about the next 6 weeks though, then several months recovery with him being lamed up and unable to do much.

Change of plans.

Surgeon has my dad booked in for his surgery in the morning. Starts prep at 8am, and they will start operating at 11am.

The cardiac surgeon didnt like the results of my dad's tests today and said they can't wait until next week.

There is about a 60% chance he wont make it through the surgery.

So, keep your fingers crossed! If you are a God fairing person, say a prayer around 11am EST for my old man.

I told them I was good with a knife, but apparently that doesn't qualify me to help.

My dad told them I was good with a saw, so I should be the one to saw through his breast bone.

The surgeon wasn't having any of that. My dad's exact words to him were, "Hey, I've never seen you work a god damn saw! I want to make sure the cut is straight!"

Heh... my dad.

I will be sending positive energy Van. He will need a soft pillow for after the surgery. Heart shaped is the best. It is something to hold to his chest when he coughs. I have had open heart surgery and found it the best thing. My son who has has 5 also was thankful for his pillows.

They can work wonders and keep that in mind. Forget the number they give you. After all I wasn't suppose to survive to the age of 1 because of my heart problems. I am now 43 so you can see they do not always know. Keep a positive attitude. Also, if he is called home be thankful you had the time with him you have these past few days. Life is precious and we should value every minute we are given with loved ones.

Archived