DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NFL Discussion

RandA lThor

1 hour ago, Tyzack said:

No interest in the priemership/table idea?

Its pretty interesting now that I looked. I assume that scheduling would be based on what league you’re in for the upcoming season? Top tier plays top tier, etc. Is there any overlap? And as far as playoffs go, who gets in?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably only teams in the top division would be eligible for the playoff bracket that eventually leads to the Superbowl, but the bottom league could have its own playoffs that then have a bearing on promotion.  In the English football (soccer) system for example, the top 2 teams in the table for EFL Championship (the second highest division) get promoted to the English Premier League automatically, while spots 3 through 6 have a playoff to decide who gets the last promotion spot.

The cool thing about this kind of system imo is that you could extend it indefinitely to lower and lower level teams so that theoretically a team from the middle of nowhere could eventually make it to the top.  Or the Browns could go all the way to the bottom and people in Cleveland (who haven't already) would become Steelers fans when it came to the top league.

45 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Theyre all interchangeable and equally unsavory imo. Flip the images around if it really makes you feel better :wink:

I actually like both teams and would be equally happy if either win.

I would have, in terms of narative, liked the patriots not to recover from their early season slump, not trade grarapalo and limp into the playoffs with a new QB (ie, 2001) and then see what happened.

But, that didn't happen. After the divisional round, I also was cheering for a "good game" in Philly (despite my family being from there) because I thought the idea of a home-team wild-card super bowl was really cool.

That being said, the Eagles were the best team in the NFC, and the Patriots were/are the best team ever  in the AFC, so I'm fine with this Super Bowl match up.

I want a good, close game, and I want a game that both teams can be proud of.

[political rant removed]

But yeah, I'm going to make lobster pizza (served with Trillium - DDH Congress), and philly pizza (served with Victory - golden monkey), and may the best pizza/team win!

Edited by Tyzack

40 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

I actually like both teams and would be equally happy if either win.

I would have, in terms of narative, liked the patriots not to recover from their early season slump, not trade grarapalo and limp into the playoffs with a new QB (ie, 2001) and then see what happened.

But, that didn't happen. After the divisional round, I also was cheering for a "good game" in Philly (despite my family being from there) because I thought the idea of a home-team wild-card super bowl was really cool.

That being said, the Eagles were the best team in the NFC, and the Patriots were/are the best team ever  in the AFC, so I'm fine with this Super Bowl match up.

I want a good, close game, and I want a game that both teams can be proud of.

I’m predestined to not like Philly so there’s nothing I can do about that. Even the idea of cheering for ‘the NFC’ is hard to stomach. With the Pats it’s more of those not again situations. They’re easily one of the most polarizing teams in the NFL, maybe ever.

The better narrative would’ve been the 5-time super bowl champ veteran QB vs the scrappy young guy from a small school destined for greatness. But I guess Foles/Brady will have to do :tongue:

38 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

[political rant removed]

But yeah, I'm going to make lobster pizza (served with Trillium - DDH Congress), and philly pizza (served with Victory - golden monkey), and may the best pizza/team win!

No tough choices there. I’ll take both!

On 24/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, Andrej said:

Its pretty interesting now that I looked. I assume that scheduling would be based on what league you’re in for the upcoming season? Top tier plays top tier, etc. Is there any overlap? And as far as playoffs go, who gets in?

Lol, wombat answered most of this. Within each season their's no overlap between the league's.

But we also run an annual FA Cup which is a knockout tournie for most football teams in England/Wales where theoretically your local kick around club (clubs can enter down through the tenth tier, last season there were over 700 entries) could play one of the big teams. In practice the tournament is seeded so the better leagues enter at a later date (the first proper round consists of the entrants from the qualifier rounds and the English leagues 1 and 2, the championship and premiership leagues enter in round 3) and I think only one none league (top 4 tiers) team has ever made the quarter finals. 

So for example Yeovil town (english second league - essentially 4th tier league) play man utd (premiership, 1st tier) tonight in the fourth round of the FA cup

Realistically I can’t even fathom 700 football teams entering a tournie. There’s so much game planning/practice that goes into one game, not to mention the recovery time between. A bracket that big would literally take an entire year to play out.

15 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Is Vince McMahon still running the show?

Yes.

13 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Realistically I can’t even fathom 700 football teams entering a tournie. There’s so much game planning/practice that goes into one game, not to mention the recovery time between. A bracket that big would literally take an entire year to play out.

The XFL has 8 teams.

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

Lol, it is played over a year (more or less). Winning the premiership and fa cup in the same year is the 'double'

I would guess that a lot of the organisation for the qualifying rounds (~600 of the teams) is done at a club level. So their are dates set aside for that round of the fixtures and the draw is done by the FA officials, but anything else needed (match officials etc) organised by the teams. 

Premier/championship play up to 6 games (plus rematches if necessary) but this is on top of the league (premiership is 38 games) charity shield (just one game, but draws a bit of attention) and any European games. 

Equally football is lower impact than American football and the better players may sit out or sub games that should be easy so they can rest (and other players gain match experience) 

Also travel times are shorter :p

3 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Have you read up on the details (such as they are)?

It seems like a legitimate attempt to provide what the NFL does not.

There won't even be cheerleaders.

Yes, and it'll still be a joke.

They're betting, basically, that the changes in the game around player safety, combined with using sports as an outlet for politics, has created a large enough splinter in the market that a rival leauge can form.

Both of these are very weak assumptions, and combined they are, well, a joke.

1.) Concerns around player safety were initiated by the players, which means that the XFL will have to create a compensation package large enough to attract new talent away from the NFL and pull talent from the NFL. Note that most of these changes around player safety have been in youth football, and college football for years - and in other sports. 

Would there be a market for a helmet-less hockey league? Where boarding was allowed and icing contested and players played like "real hockey players?" Maybe, but I doubt it, because players enjoy the benefits of stricter safety rules.

Basically you'd need to pay people enough to outweigh fear of long term injury, or, potentially, offer them long term/life long compensation; given that Mann has only invested $100 in this, I doubt that's what he's thinking.

2.) Asides from players (see 1), you'd need to get fans who were anti-politics (specifically anti-progressive politics) in sports to watch. Would they watch a game with lower caliber play because everyone stood for the national anthem and weren't allowed to talk about what happens outside the white lines inside them?

Perhaps, but that's very small subset of the population.

It's useful to note while viewership down overall, viewership in markets where teams were competitive was unchanged from normal. What happened this year was that almost half the teams (15) were under .500, and of those 15, most of them were "major market" teams which, if/when they were/are good drive overall national ratings.