DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NFL Discussion

RandA lThor

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ability to make predictions has gone on hiatus. I have a hard time cheering for the Eagles - regardless of how much I don’t want the Pats to win.

The real key matchup imo is the Eagle’s D vs the Zebras.

Edited by Andrej

One of my favorite things about sports is the passion it brings out in people. The elation when all that hard work pays off in a victory, or that crushing sense that you just weren’t good enough - or let your opportunity slip your hands - in defeat.

Sports bring out the best in people, and when I saw this photo of some Pats teammates celebrating a score from last night’s game, I just had to share.

C2096819-A5DF-4CE7-AAC3-D9D211687EB4.jpeg.cc2ec2ddd88274782a9f6a1426a3ab8d.jpeg

Beautiful, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

My ability to make predictions has gone on hiatus. I have a hard time cheering for the Eagles - regardless of how much I don’t want the Pats to win.

The real key matchup imo is the Eagle’s D vs the Zebras.

interesting idea, maybe i can ignore my past rants and try to make "desert" (zebra) pizza?

• Community Administrator

I'm torn. 

I want the Patriots to Lose. And I'd love for the Vikings to take down the Eagles next year, specially if they win the Super Bowl.

But after the NFC Championshit blowout, I want the Eagles to get their asses hand to them, if only to knock their fans down a peg. (Also, NDSU Bison are absolutely intolerable as of late because of Wentz & the Eagles, even if he isn't playing.)

If it's possible for the Superbowl to End in a Tie, I'd take that.
Or Both of their planes Crashing, resulting in a Miraculous Vikings v Jaguar Superbowl. :wink:

16 hours ago, Andrej said:

A random thought occurred to me today.

if you could reshuffle any division from either conference, or even reshuffle the conferences - what would your new league look like?

OMG; break up the AFC East, it's depressing lopsided.

18 hours ago, Andrej said:

A random thought occurred to me today.

if you could reshuffle any division from either conference, or even reshuffle the conferences - what would your new league look like?

1 hour ago, Tyzack said:

If we go that route, why not break them all up, and then just either randomize or adjust which teams play each other, based on last years standings?

2 hours ago, Tyzack said:

What would you change? I’ve thought about Miami moving to the AFC South, Indy going to the AFC North, and then sliding Baltimore into the AFC East. Geographically it makes more sense imo.

18 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

If we go that route, why not break them all up, and then just either randomize or adjust which teams play each other, based on last years standings?

That’d be interesting. And without doubling up on division games that no longer exist, feasibly every team should be able to play each other at least every two years. So old rivalries don’t die and potentially new ones can form

48 minutes ago, Andrej said:

That’d be interesting. And without doubling up on division games that no longer exist, feasibly every team should be able to play each other at least every two years. So old rivalries don’t die and potentially new ones can form

And you get to at least see what the competition has to offer in terms of skill/coaching in games besides just championship/superbowl games, so your not always playing against the same losers all the time. :wink:

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Not a bad idea; and they already "try" to do that, you play every team in your division twice, then every other team in your conference on a 2 year (home/home) patern, and inter-conferance play as predicted for "good" games.

Another suggestion I've heard is the British "table" system; in a 32 team leauge, there are really 2 leauges, top of the table "priemier" leuage and then the rest. The bottom 4 and top 4 switch every year, and the super bowl is played by the top teams (maybe cut the playoffs now to 8 teams).

The current scheduling isn’t bad. Each team plays division rivals twice, two other full divisions (from each conference) and then two other conference games from the remaining conference divisions to round out the schedule.

Tonight I was attempting to map out two new 16 team conferences based on geography. West/East seemed to work out better, though some of the teams in the middle states are borderline. Not really sure how the scheduling would go. 10 conference games and 6 cross-conference? 12/4? Everything would be roundrobin-esque but I didn’t really check to see if it would actually work.

I’m really intrigued with the idea of highlighting regional matchups and it’s sort of a shame that more teams in the same ~area don’t play more often because they aren’t in the same conference/division.

2 conferences with 2 divisions each:

NFC will be West. AFC will be east.

AFC first because teams will be geographically closer in the east.

East:

New England

Ny Jets

Ny Giants

Buffalo 

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Washington

North:

Cincinati

Cleveland

Green Bay

Minnecota

Detroit

Chicago

Indianapolis

Tennessee (or Denver???)

NFC:

West:

Seattle

San Fran

Oakland/Las Vegas

LA Rams

LA Chargers

Arizona

Denver

Kansas City (or Dallas??)

South:

Dallas (or Tennessee??)

Houston

New Orleans

Atlanta

Carolina

Jax

Miami

Tampa

Every team plays every team in division once per year alternating home games (7 games each year)

Every team plays every team in other division of same conference every other year (4 games each year)

Every team plays every team in other conference every 4 years (4 games per year)

That makes 15 games. half of them being somewhat random. 

16th game could be a non division "rival" to maintain some of the long running series that might get lost. or a "challenge " game. or some other creative scheduling device... I dunno.

Playoffs: ( similar to current system)

Division champs get 1st round bye.

next best 4 teams in each conference get in for wild card round. 

I suppose that since these are done geographically the conferences could be broken up differently. You get the general idea tho.

Edited by Turin Turambar
completing thought for alternate Dallas/Tennessee/KC distribution