DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

I'm a 21 year old male. I've been on the sidelines all my life when it comes to this series. My entire family with the exception of my mom loves this series. Each have their own copies from beginning to end. Not going to lie the first time I picked up EotW was around 5 years ago, read the epilogue and immediately put it down. For me I was like wtf is going on here.

But I gave it another shot last September and havent been able to put it down yet. Well until I finished it last week. Man its so fraking good its not even funny. I just picked up TGH and I read a random chapter I had liked and caught something I missed. So Im def going to reread the hell out of this series.

Favorite Characters at the start was Perrin, Rand, and Lan and Rhuarc. Bloody Rhuarc is a BAMFACLTDA (Bad A** Mother F***ing Aiel Clan Leader That Destroys Anything)

Now my absolute favorite is Mat. Perrin went to the way side when he became soft, but after ToM hes coming back up. Gotta say Rand fell from grace for me for awhile but has returned since turning a new leaf in his life.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PiotrekS

26, male.

Likes: Rand, Mat, Nynaeve, Moiraine, Lan, Siuan, Verin, Aviendha, Min, Rhuarc, Thom, Elayne (incuding the bath scenes and the whole Succession!Yes! :tongue:), Birgitte, Cadsuane, Talmanes, Logain, Morgase, Dobraine, Berelain, Hopper, Bashere, Gareth Bryne, Alanna (I don't know why), Samitsu, Flynn, Lanfear, Moridin, Asmodean, Graendal.

Dislikes: Gawyn, Egwene, Fain, Demandred and all characters that it is impossible to like (all Liandrins, Henlons, Galinas, Theravas etc.)

I'm neutral on Perrin and Faile.

Holy crap...it's like a sausage fest!! I truly never expected to see so many males who follow the series.

Anyhow, chickie, 36. Been reading and re-reading the series since 1993.

Favorites are Nynaeve, by far--exceptionally well written character who has grown. Favorite book moment was when she broke her block.

Followed closely are Sorilea and Bair. Wish they both had more screen time.

I can't understand all of the Egwene hate or for Cadsuane, either. For Egwene, keep in mind that she is 18 and for all of her changes, she is maturing. Cadsuane is used to getting her way and is VERY set in those ways.

I have no real dislikes, though I will agree with the few who have voiced their displeasure of how BS has written many of the characters. I enjoyed Aviendha for the longest time, but felt she is the one he really dropped the ball with. Felt that way about Mat, too, but since I started re-reading the series (again!) in January, it's not as bad as I was trying to 'remember'.

34 year old (35 in a month), Male, Gay (thought I would throw that in there given the other long winded discussion that is going on in the forum right now)...Favorite character...Nyneave of course!!! Duh!!! Close second Egwene. I've loved watching their characters change and grow over the course of the series.

31, (32 in less than a month), from Bulgaria, male, heterosexual but supporting homosexuals as far as this support does not affect me phisically.

Favourite characters: Perrin, from the very beginning (with Mat almost equal in books 9-11). But Perrin is like me. Slowly acting and thying to control his anger until it just explodes! I have a beard and I love my girlfriend passionately (and she has quite the saldaean outlook and temper).

I also like Rhuarc, Logain, Gareth Bryne and Galad

Favourite female: el-Nynaeve (you know, she is my sister reborn... the stature, the temper, the braid tugging), and Egwene (especially in the later books)

Least favourite: Elayne! Please drown her while bathing, please...

44 Male

Was 33 when I started reading the series. I don't really think gender and age have as much to do with preferences as the fact that most reading this series have some common interests, like high concept fantasy, adventure. My favorite characters are Matt (though his character took a hit when BS took over his dialogue imo, BS can't do Matt's style of humor at all) and Rand. I see a lot of younger people mention them as well. I'm also irritated by many of the characters younger people mention as well, maybe not as violently though ;)

late-Nynaeve
what do you mean by "late-"?
"Lately" I would assume, I'd go with that - wanted to see her get her head shaved until the last two or three books to stop her being so bloody annoying but she's improved as Eg.... well you know, got worse.
My question was addressed to the other poster.

Guess ill get in on this too :happy:

male,20 years old. Ive been reading this series since 14 and i honestly cant count i how many times reread the series(and yes all of them,even CoT). Ive gotten a confirmed number of 8 other people i know addicted and several who are still reading :). Maybe they just do it so they finally know what the hell im babbling to them when i talk about WOT.

I must say that even book 10 didnt really disappoint me the first time i read it, but i did found it less entertaining. And knife of dreams wasnt released when i finished. So my timing WAS kinda bad for ending the series for the first time :cool:

late-Nynaeve
what do you mean by "late-"?
"Lately" I would assume, I'd go with that - wanted to see her get her head shaved until the last two or three books to stop her being so bloody annoying but she's improved as Eg.... well you know, got worse.
My question was addressed to the other poster.

I was referring to Nynaeve as of the later books.

Having reread Eye recently, I like her character throughout, but it isn't until PoD or so that she stops pissing me off.

Holy crap...it's like a sausage fest!! I truly never expected to see so many males who follow the series.

with characters like halima, berelain,tylin and isendre how can any man not read the series?

Tylin scares me :unsure:

with characters like halima, berelain,tylin and isendre how can any man not read the series?

Granted, there is a lot to entice a male; I just don't find too many who like to sit and read anything other than Car and Driver or Forbes. KWIM?? :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome. The only person I've ever been able to convert to WoT was a guy..go figure!!

Granted, there is a lot to entice a male; I just don't find too many who like to sit and read anything other than Car and Driver or Forbes. KWIM?? :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome. The only person I've ever been able to convert to WoT was a guy..go figure!!

I always assumed that the fantasy genre in general appealed more to guys. I've always been a bit surprised by the number of women on this site.

I always assumed that the fantasy genre in general appealed more to guys. I've always been a bit surprised by the number of women on this site.

Same, most of the people I know who read fantasy are guys.

25 male here. my favorites are hands down including light and dark characters.they are in order of how much i like them

Light: Rand, Mat, Moraine, Lan, Nynaeve, Bashere,Aviendha, Thom, Rhuarc, Flinn, Talmanes, Logain, Bryne,

Dark: Ishamael/Moridin, Lanfear, Asmodean/ Mazrim Taim, Mordeth,Shadar Haran, Sammael, Aginor, Graendal

Dislikes: Faile, Cadsuane, Tuon, Elaida, Moghedian, Weiramon, Alanna,

Neutral: Perrin, Egwene, Elayne, Demandred( personally i think he will be in top 3 or 4 if he pulls godliness in AMOL), Galad, Gawyn, Min,

Outside of the one fella I got started on this series, I have only met one other guy who read fantasy novels. I only know chicks that read series, regardless of the genre. :shrug:

Outside of the one fella I got started on this series, I have only met one other guy who read fantasy novels. I only know chicks that read series, regardless of the genre. :shrug:

Maybe you just need cooler male friends. :biggrin:

23, male. I'm unaware of any change in my perception of any of the WoT characters since my discovery of RJ world when I was about 16.

Likes, very losely from most:

Verin Sedai (one of the few deserving the honorific)

Rand. All of him.

Min.

Moraine Sedai, (also earned the honorific).

Ishamael/Moridin.

Dobraine & Rhuarc, they just seem almost profoundly ‘grounded’ men.

Mat, post Aiel Waste, pre-tGS

Perin, post-KoD.

Nyaeve, I need to reread the series to pin down when I started to like her but I think post-Cadsuane appearance.

I think she is the best hope for reforming the White Tower Aes Sedai if only:

• she doesn’t die;
  • she stands up for herself (i.e. why should the White Tower own any female channeler who isn’t part of a group strong enough not to be bullied [Aiel & Seafolk]).

Lews Therin Telamon. For coolness. He also doesn’t deserve the rage he gets; he did after all seal the bore.

Aviendha Hated her visions though.

Lan, when dealing with Rand.

Thom

Uno

Birgitte, again, strong but not a bully.

Someshta. I don’t like thinking that the Nym are no more; their extinction may be the worst loss of the end of the AoL.

Tigraine, for her faith.

Hurin, Davram, Gareth, Galad, Tam, Asmodean, Jain Charin, the Asha’man loyal to Rand and in action (outside the BT), Amys...

Dislike, very losely from least liked:

White Tower Aes Sedai. They seem to have forgotten what it means to be Aes Sedai which might be more forgivable if they were competent.

Sea Folk Women.

Tuon & The Seanchan, for harming my hopes of a more enlightened, competent age of channeling post LB.

Egwene

Faile, except with Masema tGS. That almost redeemed her and Perrin for taking time away from other characters for the last light knows how many books!

Nyaeve, pre-Cadsuane appearance.

Perin, Faile’s kidnapping. I found myself just wanting his [and Faile’s] section to end and to get back to Rand.

Sevanna Dull.

Lan, when dealing with Malkier.

Whitecloaks, including Arthur Hawking. Much like above, stop the channeler hate!

Gawyn. I have some hope for him however.

Logain. A little irrational but I want Rand to have the glory, especially given his supposed fate/last life.

Matt, post-KoD. He seems to have lost some of his soul.

Aram.

Neutral

Cadsuane, she suffers from many of the failures of the Aes Sedai but at least seems quite competent which is a hell of a positive.

34, female and a strong Rand supporter -if there was any question. :wink:

I'm with you :smile:

Female, 23.

Like: Rand...(long, long nothing)... Mat... Nyn, Min... Birgitte, Thom&Juilin duo :smile: , Uno, Lan, Berelain, Bashere, Rhuarc, Shaidar Haran, Lanfear, Graendal, Moridin.

But as a teenager I didn't like Mat and Nyn, and probably bad guys too (except for Lanfear)... the older the darker, and also the sense of humour develops. Now I dislike Faile in particular.

Archived