DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Female, 25!

Well, my favorite characters changed a lot during the series, especially now with Sanderson's books. So I'll go with my favorites after reading Towers of Midnight

Favorite: :mat::rand::nynaeve::lan: (I love those emoticons, haha)

Least favorite: :moiraine::whitecloak::seanchan:

Female, 26

Favourites: Rand (his arc is amazing)

Nynaeve (love her arc throughout the books, she stays true to what she is),

Mat (<3 no explanation needed),

Moiraine, (hated her the first time I read the book, now I realize how good she was, in her guidance, presence, she did what she had to do)

Aviendha (just because she is so stubborn, and her weird aiel humor) and

Moridin ( baddest bad guy there is)

Least favourites: Elaida (Always hated her, and what she did to the Tower. She got what she deserved),

Egwene (liked her in TGS but now I´m rereading the books and realized she hasn´t grown abit, so meh. I still hope for a sliver of growth and redemption for her)

Sevanna (Always disliked her and how she acted with the Shaido)

Faile (Perrin should do as she wants and have her on a tight leash)

Female, 35 years old.

Favorite characters:

Female - Min, Avi, Nyn, Verin, Moiraine, Graendal, Sulin

Male - Rand, Moridin, Rhurac, Loial

(Mat and Perrin - depending on book)

Don't like:

Female - Tuon, Elayne, Moggy

Male - All forsaken exept Moridin, Weiramon, most whitecloaks

One of my pet theories is that people's reactions to certain characters is, in significant part, a function of those people's ages and gender. I thought it might be interesting to see how the posters here break down.

Really? Would you be willing to collate those results at some time; I'd be fascinated!

For myself: 34, Female

I've never liked Perrin, or Faile. Elayne is a little too ... flightly. I generally don't like Rand, but that's changed with the last two. I enjoy Matt's screen time, as well as Nynaeve, Egwene, and ANY of the Aiel. I am not a Cadsuane hater. I am a strong Moiraine supporter, even when she's dead wrong (which is most of the time).

Male 39, Hater of Death, Lover of Life!

Fav characters: Nynaeve, Lan, Perrin, Rand, Cadsuane (awesome), Aviendha, Faile (love her), Siuan, Morainne, Rhuarc, Bashere.

Least liked: Egwene ( Gathering Storm Arc excluded, girl was awesome then quickly turned back to sucking in TOM), Lelaine (I actually kinda like Romanda), Tuon ( extreme suckage).

One of my pet theories is that people's reactions to certain characters is, in significant part, a function of those people's ages and gender. I thought it might be interesting to see how the posters here break down.

Me: 43 YO Male. Old, for a forum like this, I would guess. But that's what happens when a series takes more than 2 decades to complete!

Oi! Your only 6 years older than me! (so your not old, okay?)

:-)

Me: 37 YO Female. Been reading & rereading the series since I was 20...

My favourite character has always been Nyneave... then Matt, Perrin until he met Faile. I liked Egwene, then didn't and now do again :-)

I do like Rand, always have done, tho I did get frustrated with him a lot. I love Tam... Awesome Dad...

Least favourite - Faile and Gawyn. I used to like Gawyn but he has turned into a bit of a git...

Hey, first post here :biggrin:

Im 18 and male. Been reading the series since late December, and finished ToM a couple of weeks back.

Favourite Characters(in no order besides Moiraine): Moiraine, Gareth Bryne, Perrin, Rand, Ituralde, Mat(later on, during Ebou Dar), Verin, Siuan, Thom, Moridin, Graendal and Setalle.

And don't really dislike any characters, but I do get annoyed a fair bit. Most annoying to me are Elayne, Early Nyneave, Lanfear, Gawyn, Sea Folk and Seanchan people, Berelain, Cadsuane, Elaida, Weiramon and ,surprisingly, early Mat. He annoyed me so much for some reason.

I am a 46 year old male.

Favorite Characters: Rand, Mat, Perrin, Lan, Ishy/Moridin, Lanfear, Graendal ... Min, Aviendha, Nynaeve, Moiraine, and Egwene.

Least Favorite characters: Elayne, Gawyn, Asmodean, Semirhage, and Elaida

Male, 28.

My fave characters change over the years. Currently my favourite is Damer Flinn. Reasons why Damer is great:

1. The first guy who was tested and succeeded at the Black Tower.

2. Previously a soldier, injured in duty, who found another way to fight.

3. Managed as an old man to endure the dangerous Black Tower training, AND discover how to heal severing.

4. Dominant male healer of the Age.

5. Chased off Demandred in Winter's Heart without missing a beat.

Epic.

Male, 17

I dislike most of the women in the series, excepting Moiraine, late-Nynaeve, Min, Faile circa ToM, and a few other. I didn't like Sammael, he seemed like a Flash villian.

I like the power trio, especially ToM Perrin. I really love just about every character we get one scene with and then nothing else. Malenarin was easily my favorite PoV in ToM. I have always liked Siuan, but not horribly much more than the Aes Sedai. I was never a Cadsuane hater, I liked her breaking Semi.

Male 31. Nitpicker by trade.

Favorite characters: Rand, Mat, Nynaeve (post Salidar), Egwene except for TFOH, Elayne except when she's with Mat, Moridin, Siuan. Verin, Cadsuane, Moiraine. Min. Aviendha, most of the time. All Far Dareis Mai. Logain. Perrin in TSR. Birgitte.

Least favorite characters: Perrin in books 7-11, Nynaeve in TSR and TFOH, Elayne when she is with Mat. Gawyn. Dain Bornhald.

Male 19, I'm a huge Galad fan, although Dark Rand was awesome :biggrin:

Best side character has to be Eben Hopwil for me: "I piled the bodies in a hollow," he said in a flat voice."The horses, everything. I burned it all to ash. White ash that floated in the wind like snow. It didn’t bother me at all."

Not a fan of Egwene, Faile or Cadsuane, though there are so many characters I love and hate I could ramble on for days :smile:

Male, 19

I'm reading the series through for 3rd time, first time in english, which isnt my native tongue. And I havent read tGS or ToM yet.

I dont have a clear order of liking and disliking, but here's some ideas:

I like: (in no particular order)

- Aviendha (+ most Aiel, especially Far Dareis Mai)

- Min

- Birgitte

- Mat (didnt like the Mat before the doorway or immediately after that, I started liking him after he accepted his new memories and started "using" them)

- Moiraine

- Siuan

I dislike: (in no particular order)

- Galad

- Elaida

- Sevanna + that lot

And then there are loads of characters that I semi-like. Like the Super Girls or Rand or Perrin. Sometimes they're cool and sometimes they're just pure meh. I really had to spend time coming up with names of characters that I like or dislike, for some reason(maybe because I know there's two books that I havent read yet) I dont really think about if I like some character or not.

It would be so much easier for me if someone would just say something that they like in some character, and then I could say if I agreed or disagreed with that fact. For me, every person has their ups and downs and its hard to categorize them at all (I would've liked to list all the things that I liked and disliked about every character, but decided that it wouldnt help at all).

Yeah that one pops to my mind too. And the few times when Birgitte and Mat talk something that sounds so odd to others and only they really understand it.

Like when Mat tells Birgitte and Lan to guard Aviendha, Elayne and Nynaeve in Ebou Dar, in A Crown of Swords, chapter 39:

[Mat]: "The Bowl is too important," he told them. "That gholam is still out there, and maybe Moghedien, and

the Black Ajah for sure." The dice thundered in his head. Aviendha would not appreciate being lumped in with

Nynaeve and Elayne, but he did not care right then. He addressed Lan and Birgitte. "Keep them safe until I can

reach you. Keep all of them safe."

[birgitte]: Birgitte gave Elayne a fond look, but it was to Mat she spoke. "I will," she said. "Honor's truth."

Mat tugged at his coat uncomfortably. He still was not sure how much he had told her while drunk.

Light, but the woman could soak it up like dry sand. Even so, he gave the proper response for a Barashandan

lord, accepting her pledge. "The honor of blood; the truth of blood." Birgitte nodded, and from the startled looks

he received from Nynaeve and Elayne, she still kept his secrets close.

Archived