DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

Female, 38

Favorite characters (in order): Rand, Logain, Mat, Nynaeve, Tam, Verin, the Yonglings who refused to be bonded by Aes Sedai in ToM and wanted to join the guard instead, Perrin (when he defended the Two Rivers and in ToM), Faile

Least favorite characters (in order): Egwene, Narishma, Elayne, Cadsuane, Merise, Tuon

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Male 42

Fave male : Perrin, Rand, Loial, Ruharc, Mat, Gaul

Fave female : Ny, Avi, Cads, Mor

least fave male : Tallanvor, Galad, Gawyn

least fave female : Elaida, Suian, Egwene ( she is ok its she needs to get knocked down a few pegs, and her "i know beter than everyone else attitude" even though she doesn't kills her for me )

28 male

I generally like darker characters. First found out about the books about when TGS came out.

Mat (favorite)

Fain (favorite supporting character)

Nyn (only recently, hated her at first)

Taim, Min, Graendal, Rand, Moridin, Siuan

The Red that thanks Mat in ToM

Neutral

Elayne, Avi, Perrin, Verin, Galad

Dislikes

Egwene (most of all)

Elaida (I love hating her, if that makes sense)

Gawyn (most hated male)

any Aes Sadai with too much arrogance and pride (so almost all the Aes Sadai and Sea Folk)

Female, 22, been reading the series about 9 years now.

Likes (no particular order):

Mat

Aviendha

Lan

Rand

Min

Thom

Dislikes (still no order):

Whitecloaks

Fain

Elaida (I love to hate her, too)

None of my likes and dislikes have really changed over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Know this thread's been dormant for a few days, but thought I'd add my opinions in :P

Out of interest, randsc, what particular age/gender patterns have you noticed so far in people's favourite/least favourites?

21, female.

Favourite characters: Nynaeve, Mat, Faile, Perrin, Aviendha

Least Favourite: Egwene, Gawyn (I've never found him that interesting, but gone off him after TofM), Rand (when he's in his "I-must-not-let-women-die" modes. His more Zen self is a lot less unlikeable).

Moiraine and Cadsuane have both grown on me since their first appearance, as have Tuon and Galad. Elayne started off OK, I've been finding her less and less interesting, though. Min's a character I don't have very much interest in, TBH. Thom's one I quite enjoy, but I wouldn't count him amongst my favourites.

I'm a Crested Gecko and I registered to vote as soon as I was old enough, and bought a new-release hardback copy of The Eye of The World on my way home from the registrar's office. @Kestrel - Thanks...

Favorite character - Mat and Rand.

Least favorite character - Jar Jar Binks....

44, male here and have been reading the series since I saw the first three paperbacks on display around 1995.

As for favorite character...for the first 3 books it was definitely Rand. Since tSR Matt has certainly been the best IMHO. At the opposite end of the spectrum, the whole of House Trakand makes me fairly ill.

Yeah, I think there is an interesting debate to be had about the premise. I'm open, a little bit, to the idea that gender plays a role. Though I object to the idea that any persons response to a character is predetermined.

I'm really not open at all to the idea that age matters. I've known some kids who were very old souls.

just to play devil's advocate - don't you think, though, that people generally do change with time? even if they're born with old souls, do they not progress in this lifetime and mature still further?

i've changed a lot through the years, and i assume i'll continue to do so at least until i die.

i've seen my family and friends and acquaintainces mature, or at least change, with time.

not to say that a young person is not as likely to enjoy this series as an older one, or that a younger person's viewpoint is less valid than any other, but that with each re-read, and with each passing day/month/year/decade, one's point of view may change, and change again and again.

Male 20.

If I am going to say who I like/Dislike, I have to give reasons.

So, my favorites in order.

1. Rand. Always, from EF country farmer, tGS Dark Rand and ToM God Rand, I have loved him all the way through. Forced to make hard decisions nobody else can. He makes mistakes, but his heart is always good. Even in tGS when he was at his worst, he still cared.

2.Nynaeve. GAHHH She is seriously the greatest. I liked her in the earlier books, yes, she was a bit annoying with Elayne and such, but she would always stand up for her friends. She cares sooo much it hurts her. From KoD onwards she has been awesome non stop. ToM she became the greatest. Her testing is my absolute favorite scene in the whole series. Nynaeve for the win.

3. Demandred - It is strange, but I can just relate to the guy. Trying his best and LTT is always that one inch above him. I just get it. Plus, he is second only to LTT, would have been the Dragon if LTT wasnt born. Thats some badassery.

3. Mat/Perrin - Both of them have had their ups and downs, but, like Rand, they always cared. Mat because he is fun to read, a bit roguish, but honorable. Perrin was all annoying and such for not accepting leadership, but I understand that. He was still cool for me. He became even better in ToM.

4. Moiraine. I have always loved her, even when she was being hardcore AS in the first books. I understood what she was doing (what Mat finally realizes in ToM). Protecting a bunch of country bumpkins from stabbing themselves in the foot or getting assulted by Trollocs. Her dealing with Rand in tSR-FoH made her even better. She went up in stature when she sacrificed herself for Rand's sake. Became God-like comming back in ToM, when we realise the terror she went through. AND SHE KNEW SHE WOULD ALL ALONG. Im sorry, but she owns verin on this.

5. Cadsuane - To me, she is like old school rock compared to Justin Beiber of Aes Sedai. Takes no nonsense from the pathetic manipulations of the current Aes Sedai. Yeah, she is a bit of a bully to Rand, but she is up-front (more than most Aes Sedai) and she will tell you what she wants. Rand was being an idiot, and she wanted to help him. That is all she wants to do. She cares not about the White Tower, she just wants to live to see the Dragon Reborn succeed. Her methods are sometimes less than desireable, but her heart is good, she is only doing it for Rand's own good.

Other characters I like in no particular order - Pevera, Taim, Logain, Narshima, Naeff, Verin, Saerin, Aviendha, Min, Bashere, Ituralde, Faile, Thom, Tam, Flynn, Lanfear, Moridin,Talmanes, Teslyn. Sorliea, Bair, Melaine, Rhuarc. Birgitte, Dobraine, Darlin (more, but these characters stand out for me.)

Neutral characters : Elayne (she has her ups and downs. But she is for the most part alright.) Gawyn (he was annoying for a bit there, but alright really) Galad (he is alright with me) BA hunters, Tarna. Lan (meh, he got annoying trying to commit suicide when he could be of help at the LB) Tylee, Kadere, Amys.

Characters I dislike:

1. Egwene: I never much liked her. She was alright in the first few books, but I thought her selfish and quick to throw away everything to gain power. As mentioned, I hate her with Nynaeve. Bullying her in TAR with the brew to hide her lie and because she wanted to. Made those who could threaten her swear oaths of obedience (only one step shy of being bound on a binder). She is totally arrogant, even her awesomeness in tGS was marred by it. How many times has she said or thought something along the lines of "I am Amyrlin, you should obey me!" really, I stopped counting. She is utterly insecure and will do ANYTHING to look good. Nearly got Gawyn killed because she didnt want to entertain the possibility of him being right. She goes against Rand because he is the Dragon Reborn, and does not bow to her will. If she was truely concerned, she would take the time to think about the breaking of the seals and come up with answers. (that one really doesnt count I suppose, I admit I could be wrong there) Despite all this, I didnt actually dislike her, shes strong for the Light. But I absolutely HATED her for what she did to Nynaeve in ToM. She TORTURED her for no other reason than to prove her authority. Then says she doesnt need to take the test herself. Again, all for authority. She doesnt even really care about Nynaeve. Saerin was right, it was disgraceful.

2. Tuon: I like her with Mat, but she is crazy. "Breaking Damane sooths her" What on earth is that? She likes breaking people so they are reduced to the status of dogs. Thats just not right. She has her moments, like she has doubts, but really, I would not like to ever see her.

3. Sammael: Sammael was just a reckless fool. Evil to the bone. Didnt really do much. But the most foolish thing was him trying to ally himself with Rand. Seriously.... That scar must have leaked his brains.

4. Rhavin: Gluttonous pervert. Compell's people to do what he wants. Sure, he faced off Rand, but meh, I thought he was lazy.

5. Fain: I really dislike the guy. He pops up everywhere just to annoy people. He kills for fun, not like the forsaken who at least want power (except for Semirhage). If he becomes the new DO, or is the key to defeating the DO i will eat my hat.

Other charcters I dislike: Elaida, Romanda, Leaine, Whitecloaks, arrogant Aes Sedai, Be'lal, Mesaana, Moggy, those prick Ashaman in ToM. (apart from Mishraile, he is cool for some reason) Other Darkfriends who are cowards.

just to play devil's advocate - don't you think, though, that people generally do change with time? even if they're born with old souls, do they not progress in this lifetime and mature still further?

i've changed a lot through the years, and i assume i'll continue to do so at least until i die.

i've seen my family and friends and acquaintainces mature, or at least change, with time.

not to say that a young person is not as likely to enjoy this series as an older one, or that a younger person's viewpoint is less valid than any other, but that with each re-read, and with each passing day/month/year/decade, one's point of view may change, and change again and again.

I think that is right, if we accept these factors as predictive, but not deterministic.

What actually caused me to post this thread is this: There is a certain poster here whose response to anyone who disagrees with her interpretation of a character or an event in the book is a fairly condescending, "When you've made a few more trips around the sun...you will naturally see that you were completely wrong, and come to agree with me." This drives me nuts, in spite of the fact that I have made more than a few trips around the sun myself.

Where I draw the distinction from gender is that I don't think that time, in itself, means anything. I think that experience means something. And there are young people, of course, with a store of experience that puts some people much older to shame. Just for one example, a 25-year-old who has served in combat may well have greater insight into the minds of our soldier characters than...say...just to pick a random example...a retired engineer, will ever have. Regardless of those trips 'round Sol. So a young person can have the benefit of "age" (really experience) to the point that actual years lived is irrelevent. But men will never be women, or women men, so I am willing to accept that there may be SOME role for gender.

Guest PiotrekS

I think that is right, if we accept these factors as predictive, but not deterministic.

What actually caused me to post this thread is this: There is a certain poster here whose response to anyone who disagrees with her interpretation of a character or an event in the book is a fairly condescending, "When you've made a few more trips around the sun...you will naturally see that you were completely wrong, and come to agree with me." This drives me nuts, in spite of the fact that I have made more than a few trips around the sun myself.

Where I draw the distinction from gender is that I don't think that time, in itself, means anything. I think that experience means something. And there are young people, of course, with a store of experience that puts some people much older to shame. Just for one example, a 25-year-old who has served in combat may well have greater insight into the minds of our soldier characters than...say...just to pick a random example...a retired engineer, will ever have. Regardless of those trips 'round Sol. So a young person can have the benefit of "age" (really experience) to the point that actual years lived is irrelevent. But men will never be women, or women men, so I am willing to accept that there may be SOME role for gender.

Of course that age in itself doesn't mean anything, but there is an abvious statistical correlation between age and experience. There can be exceptions, even numerous - they don't change the fact that there is a higher probabilty that a 60 years old person have already done a particular thing and therefore knows more about it than a teenager.

You are absolutely right that this kind of argument shouldn't be used in forum discussions though- one of the few good reasons is that you can never know whether this particular poster you're arguing with isn't in fact one of the exceptions to this purely statistical rule.

I understood this thread as a good-faith attempt to see whether there really is any correlation between age, gender and attitudes concerning particular characters. I think there is nothing wrong when you, instead of having any preconceived notions, ask the people for data and then try to see if there is any correlation at all, how significant etc. It could be quite interesting IMO, although I have too many deadlines to deal with to look at it myself :tongue:

Of course the correlation wouldn't mean causation - so, even if we were to see a strong correlation between gender and attitude to, let's say, Berelain or Lanfear, we still wouldn't know what caused it :tongue:

Of course that age in itself doesn't mean anything, but there is an abvious statistical correlation between age and experience. There can be exceptions, even numerous - they don't change the fact that there is a higher probabilty that a 60 years old person have already done a particular thing and therefore knows more about it than a teenager.

Depends on the "particular thing". My mom is much less likely to have a tattoo, a piercing, have done bungee jumping, made a website,... you get the point. (And btw: I've only done 1 of the things on this list. The hint is in my signature.)

Not every generation makes the same experiences so saying older people are usually more experienced by default is probably true but still very misleading at times.

Anyway: female, 25.

Favourite characters: Rand, Mat, Lanfear, Nynaeve (used to hate her). But really, there's quite a few I like. Even Perrin and Faile for example. Heck, even Berelain.

Least favourite: Egwene, Tuon

tattooes and piercings and everything else under the sun (see ecclesiastes) have pretty much been around forever. there's not as much difference as you'd expect between humans from generation to generation, when you disregard technological changes and the like. and those could very well be temporary.

i find it much harder to accept that there are as many inherent mental differences between men and women as are apparent from reading internet forums.

i don't mean differences in physical abilities, or even social propensities. i mean how the brain works, how it reads, and understands, and relates to the written word.

i've been quite surprised at how some of these threads have played out in terms of gender vs. gender. i guess i'm just naive. it never struck me that men and women could be so. . . divided?

but i suppose they can, and are.

i've been quite surprised at how some of these threads have played out in terms of gender vs. gender. i guess i'm just naive. it never struck me that men and women could be so. . . divided?

but i suppose they can, and are.

Well, i certainly would like more people like you in the world.

I get annoyed at this myself. While I dont deny there ARE some differences in mental process, I dont think it is dramatic.

I really get sick of those people who are particularly proud of their gender. I mean, come on.

Males who think females are lesser and females that think males are inferior.

Its just ridiculous to me .

tattooes and piercings and everything else under the sun (see ecclesiastes)have pretty much been around forever.

Apart from the fact that you probably got my general point anyway I'd like to stress that when my mom was my age only prisoners and sailors had tattoos.

But still good job ignoring the point. :biggrin:

Archived