DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

Male 27.

I enjoy most of the characters really. The only ones I particularly dislike are Egwene, Elayne, and Cadsuane. Some of the story arcs with various characters started to get a little too drawn out for my taste, but most of them were wrapped up in a way that redeemed the characters. Some of the womens story arcs particularly, and Perrins. I definitely look forward to Rand's story arc the most though - and that includes all viewpoints directly relating to him (Moridin, Bashere, etc.).

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thread was based upon a flawed premise. Ages and gender does not really influence character likes or dislikes to a large extent. Probably like 5% or something.

In my opinion, what drives your like or dislike in a certain character is your own experiences and how you relate to that character. Perhaps you see something of yourself in that character. May be understand what he/she are going through because you yourself have been through it. Maybe you see a trait you dislike in real people manifest in a particular character. That is what drives a reader to or away from a character.

Not age or gender. AT least not enough to be important in the grand scheme of things

Thread was based upon a flawed premise. Ages and gender does not really influence character likes or dislikes to a large extent. Probably like 5% or something.

In my opinion, what drives your like or dislike in a certain character is your own experiences and how you relate to that character. Perhaps you see something of yourself in that character. May be understand what he/she are going through because you yourself have been through it. Maybe you see a trait you dislike in real people manifest in a particular character. That is what drives a reader to or away from a character.

Not age or gender. AT least not enough to be important in the grand scheme of things

Firmly disagree.

Age profoundly influences how you may relate to a certain character or your experiences.

For example: I've seen quite a few teens and young adults in here (like me) who's favorite character is Rand. That's completely understandable from an age point of view, b/c the teen years are to many an insane, turbulous, time, and Rand's character arc reflects that.

Firmly disagree.

Age profoundly influences how you may relate to a certain character or your experiences.

For example: I've seen quite a few teens and young adults in here (like me) who's favorite character is Rand. That's completely understandable from an age point of view, b/c the teen years are to many an insane, turbulous, time, and Rand's character arc reflects that.

may be may be not. i was a teenager when i started reading WOT and i found rand completely unlikable. even now i can't relate to him. so age is not be all and end all.

i have read alot of fantasy books and i still cant find a lead character as awesome as tanis half ekven

Firmly disagree.

may be may be not. i was a teenager when i started reading WOT and i found rand completely unlikable. even now i can't relate to him. so age is not be all and end all.

i have read alot of fantasy books and i still cant find a lead character as awesome as tanis half ekven

There can be a correlation without it being an absolute rule.

I disagree about Rand. Barring the handful of "young adults" that like Rand because he's the hero (we think) of the story, Rand does not represent the "teen" years at all, not for most teens these days, anyway. Instead, he represents that rare type of young person who is thrust into adulthood before he is truly ready, is faced with having to deal with people who are used to chewing up and spitting out anyone who doesn't go along with them, and is put through pure and utter hell physically and mentally. In a very short time, he gets a lifetime of experience and, unlike certain characters who are given allies to ensure their success, he is forced to make his own way and is, for all practical purposes, worse off than simply "alone" until Nyn joins him since his supposed allies spend all their time working against him. Rand got smacked in the face with the "real world" at a young age. Some adults I've known, ones who are older than me, have yet to experience that.

I disagree about Rand. Barring the handful of "young adults" that like Rand because he's the hero (we think) of the story, Rand does not represent the "teen" years at all, not for most teens these days, anyway. Instead, he represents that rare type of young person who is thrust into adulthood before he is truly ready, is faced with having to deal with people who are used to chewing up and spitting out anyone who doesn't go along with them, and is put through pure and utter hell physically and mentally. In a very short time, he gets a lifetime of experience and, unlike certain characters who are given allies to ensure their success, he is forced to make his own way and is, for all practical purposes, worse off than simply "alone" until Nyn joins him since his supposed allies spend all their time working against him. Rand got smacked in the face with the "real world" at a young age. Some adults I've known, ones who are older than me, have yet to experience that.

Your analysis of what his story arc represents is great, I guess we just disagree with when it happens.

Personally, I think that the teen years still are a great example of a period of time when people experience something like what you described (hell, I'm still going through that stuff). Many teenagers (not all, because there are always those unfortunate few who get fed with a silver spoon and given everything they want) have to learn to cope with an increasing amount of responsibility and stress as they transition into adulthood. I felt that adequately reflected Rand's story arc, since that's how the past couple years have felt for me, but to each his own. You are definitely correct that quite a few people never have to experience anything as stressful as what I just described, and are usually the worse off for it.

Male, 29 years old. First read tEotW in 1994. I've read the series front to back more times then i can count.

Favorite characters would have to be Mat, and at times Rand. I don't hate any characters, though they have all bothered me at times aside from Mat.

edit; sp

Archived