DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old are you? What gender?

randsc

One of my pet theories is that people's reactions to certain characters is, in significant part, a function of those people's ages and gender. I thought it might be interesting to see how the posters here break down.

Me: 43 YO Male. Old, for a forum like this, I would guess. But that's what happens when a series takes more than 2 decades to complete!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Male, 32

Edited to add favorite characters for @randsc's research:

Favorite in order: Mat, Rand, Lan, recent Nyneave, Min, Tam, Thom

Least favorite in order: Egwene, Gawyn, Romanda, beginning of series Nyneave

Note - Only included light-side characters that are supposed to be liked.

My age and gender can be found in my profile.

My opinion about the Light sided characters is pretty much that they are "good".

Edit:: I have tended to have a favorable opinion toward the Light sided characters.

One of my pet theories is that people's reactions to certain characters is, in significant part, a function of those people's ages and gender. I thought it might be interesting to see how the posters here break down.

Me: 43 YO Male. Old, for a forum like this, I would guess. But that's what happens when a series takes more than 2 decades to complete!

So why don't you say who you favor among the characters?

23, male

I like most of the characters. I hate Cadsuane. I'm still waiting for her to die in a fire. I'd say I'm a Perrin guy in some ways, and a Mat guy in others.

On a side note, I have a female friend who is 40, and I've gotten her started on the WoT. She's read through books 1-4. It doesn't seem like she intends to keep reading. She claims that the female characters are not like "real women" because they are written by a man. I disagree strongly with her sentiment there. I argue with her about it from time to time after I get done raging and bashing on Hairy Plopper and his lame movies, and then proceed to extol the virtues of WoT. She says that the women all think that men are incapable children that need to be tended to, and that they are all rather PMSish most of the time. I disagree with her second point (most of the time). I have explained to her that the women in this story feel that way about the men because it is mostly a matriarchal society. If a few decades ago women couldn't even vote in a patriarchal society, why would the women in a matriarchal society be any different? They're human too. She doesn't buy my theory though. Oh well, I guess she'll just have to keep playing around in Hogfarts till she learns what good fantasy is.

23, male

I like most of the characters. I hate Cadsuane. I'm still waiting for her to die in a fire. I'd say I'm a Perrin guy in some ways, and a Mat guy in others.

On a side note, I have a female friend who is 40, and I've gotten her started on the WoT. She's read through books 1-4. It doesn't seem like she intends to keep reading. She claims that the female characters are not like "real women" because they are written by a man. I disagree strongly with her sentiment there. I argue with her about it from time to time after I get done raging and bashing on Hairy Plopper and his lame movies, and then proceed to extol the virtues of WoT. She says that the women all think that men are incapable children that need to be tended to, and that they are all rather PMSish most of the time. I disagree with her second point (most of the time). I have explained to her that the women in this story feel that way about the men because it is mostly a matriarchal society. If a few decades ago women couldn't even vote in a patriarchal society, why would the women in a matriarchal society be any different? They're human too. She doesn't buy my theory though. Oh well, I guess she'll just have to keep playing around in Hogfarts till she learns what good fantasy is.

Male, 25. And I like alot of the characters in WoT. That's one of the reasons I like the series so much. Never has an author got me to actually care and be interested about so many characters in a single series. I love the way he fleshes them all out so as their not just some sideshow. Also... in most series I find when the author switches over to a female character's point of view, I somethimes find myself bored >.> But not WoT, some of the most interesting part of the series have been when it's following the strong female cast.

And... I'm somewhat partial to Rand myself :P As well as Mat and Perrin lol.

Archived